What does "pitting edema" look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2006, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 35 weeks. My fingers are swollen, but I can still wear my engagement ring (wedding ring hasn't fit in six weeks--it's ever so slightly smaller). They are kinda mushy-swollen, just look fatter and are sore, but not terrible. My ankles don't look swollen at all, but I wear pretty supportive socks so that may help (smartwool hiking socks).

I just got home and took off my socks and though they only look a tiny bit swollen--like what one would ordinarily get, not even pg from a long day running around and cleaning house--when I press them it takes a couple secinds for the skin to get completely flat again. It makes like a very very shallow dimple for a couple of seconds. But they don't really look or feel swollen, if that makes sense.

I can't really tell if my face is swollen or not. I tend to show weight gain in my face a lot and the couple of pregnancy pounds have been making my face look kinda puffy for a couple of weeks. I just dunno. Can't even tell there.

Should I be concerned about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The edema we worry about most is the type - esp in the face - that comes on suddenly and doesn't change, no matter if you rest, etc.

From what u describe, your edema sounds normal and is a good indicator of a nicely expanded blood volume...all that extra fluid helps w/ blood loss after the birth and to make milk.

If u are concerned, it might be a good idea to check in with your care provider.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:18 PM

Don't be afraid to check with your care provider, but a sign of the "bad" edema is one in which you poke the swelling & the skin doesn't immediately bounce back to itself.

Things to help with the water are massage, immersion in pool or tub, LOTS of water, & probably more I forget.......

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 04-08-2006, 03:25 PM

I had pretty bad “pitting edema” when I was pregnant in the last few weeks -- you could push a finger into the skin of my legs below the knee and make a deep hole that would stay there for a long time, like 10 minutes. It was gross and fascinating at the same time. My care provider told me it was nothing to worry about, though.

It was uncomfortable for sure! My feet went numb from all the pressure and that feeling actually lasted for a couple of months after DD’s birth. Swimming helped me a lot, as did cardio exercise. I guess it got the fluid moving a bit more, out of my legs and around my body.

Hang in there, mama!

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09

User Tag List