What's a "calcified" placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Liza and LovinGreen and welcome. You should start your own threads asking your questions. Many people here do not have time to read all of the responses and just come to post a quick answer. If you put your questions in your own thread, more people will read and respond.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 PM

I didn't get a chance to read all the previous posts in this thread, so please excuse if this is redundant...

a calcified placenta indicates that the placenta is getting old, and is not doing its job well anymore. The additional indicator of low amniotic fluid corroborates this. If your placenta isn't working well anymore it isn't getting as much blood to your baby. This causes the baby to pee less, and hence, less amniotic fluid. You can physically feel the calcium crystals in the placenta after the birth - it feels "crunchy". My daughter was born 9 days past her EDD and they were going to induce because of low fluids (but didn't have to - I was already in early labor) - after the birth our family practice doc talked about calcification of the placenta and actually handed my husband a pair of gloves so that he could feel the calcium crystals in the placenta (mine was in ok shape - just starting to calcify).

You don't mention whether your baby was born long after your EDD, but this is the main reason that happens. Not much you can do about it I don't think.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#33 of 34 Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM

I ate Tums like they were going out of style during the end of my pregnancy, but my placenta was extremely healthy. Not so much as a spot of calcification. I also delivered the day after I was "due". So I don't think Tums has anything to do with calcification.

Come ponder with me about food!
#34 of 34 Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tums® is calcium carbonate, chalk, and cannot be absorbed by the body as a calcium supplement. I do not understand why doctors give it as a calcium supplement. It may help your dyspepsia, but it does not help your bones.

Your body needs calcium in a balance with magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin D and protein and some fat should be in the mix.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page