What hurt more than labor for you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 04-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregongirlie
I'll be having my first in November and am trying to frame my expectations based on previous experience. Have you had pain worse than labor?

I've had migraines so bad I can't really move or talk, period cramps with endometriosis (a few times with vomiting, unable to walk or talk, lying on the bathroom floor, getting all white shaky and clammy ), laparoscopy (abdominal surgery), and an ear infection that ruptured the eardrum.

The midwife said that having dealt with pain in the past is helpful, but It's so hard to know what IS painful. I mean, my "7" could be someone elses "5" or "9"...

Okay, I havent read the thread...just your post. I am a fellow migraine sufferer. During my labor I said that I would do this 4 times a week in place of a migraine.

You get a break between contractions and a baby at the end. A migraine has no end in sight ever.

You can do it!!!!!! Way way less painful than a migraine
#62 of 104 Old 04-29-2006, 05:31 PM

Nothing hurt worse for me, although I had a pretty uneventful labor. I also don't get migraines and I've never had any major medical problems, not even a broken limb, so...

I just sort of went into it knowing it would hurt more than anything, but that it was one day of pain for many years of gain.

Also, I don't know about other people, but when I say I was in labor for 12 hours, 9 of that was spent walking around with a smile on my face. 3 hours were really intense contractions, but it goes by really fast, I think because you're timing the contractions and switching positions and places and stuff. 45 minutes was pushing, which hurt, but my body wouldn't let me not push. I was thinking, "Okay, I'm getting a contraction but I'm not going to push this time. I'm going to take a break." But then I couldn't stop myself from pushing. Then I tore pretty mildly, but it was so quick it was no big deal. I got stiched afterward and I don't think I even felt that. Oh, and I found that delivering the placenta was quite soothing.
#63 of 104 Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Then I tore pretty mildly, but it was so quick it was no big deal. I got stiched afterward and I don't think I even felt that. Oh, and I found that delivering the placenta was quite soothing.
I had no pain meds with my 3rd delivery. I know they gave me some lidocaine when they stitched me up, because I remember feeling nothing but tugging until they got to a spot that wasn't numbed. It defintately was pokey and painful, but I was so high on new-baby vibes it didn't bother me.
#64 of 104 Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 PM

The first poop after birth :

But that wont help you. Hmm. Sorry!
#65 of 104 Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchfire
Gallbladder 'attacks'/gallstones. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
:

I had gallstones about 10 days after the birth of my son. The pain of labor was still fresh. The gallstone pain was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse.
#66 of 104 Old 04-30-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097
I had no pain meds with my 3rd delivery. I know they gave me some lidocaine when they stitched me up, because I remember feeling nothing but tugging until they got to a spot that wasn't numbed. It defintately was pokey and painful, but I was so high on new-baby vibes it didn't bother me.

I totally felt my stitches... I don't think my midwife really believed me. All I could do was just look at my baby and cringe through it. That was such a WRONG and pokey feeling!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#67 of 104 Old 04-30-2006, 10:01 AM

I unexpectedly had to spent 11 hours alone in the airport and then on a medium-length plane ride with my crawling baby and our stuff. By the time I got home, I fell into bed utterly exhausted, arms burning with pain. I told my husband the day had been worse than labor and for me it definitely was!
#68 of 104 Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 AM

to be honest, labor was like dying a slow, torturous death for me...I never fully dialate to a 10, so my midwife had to hold my cervix open with her hand (: ) for the last few hours of labor...but...my son threw a book (one of those chubby hard backed baby ones) at my hubby (meaning to be "playful") while DH and I were "wrestling" on the floor, and it smashed the bridge of my nose and shattered it!! I was4 mos preg with my last baby and could not get any pain meds...THAT was almost as painful as giving birth!!!! If I had to pick one pain over the other...I don't know which pain I'd chose!!
#69 of 104 Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 AM

Well, my labor pains were my worst pains ever, and I screamed the entire time. At first I was trying not to scream so much, trying to breathe, trying to relax, trying to visualize this that and the other thing, etc., and I was really upset that I wasn't able to control myself somehow. Eventually I just accepted that I was going to be an out-of-control screaming woman, and stopped trying to conquer the pain with mental techniques. After that I just plain screamed, and it hurt just as much, but since I was no longer trying to be a model laboring woman, I didn't mind it so much!
#70 of 104 Old 05-01-2006, 03:12 PM

I had a breast reduction. when they pulled out the drainage tubes that was the worst pain I ever remember. and I have had a toe cut off and reattached, my tonsiles out (the recovery on that hurt more then the recovery from birthing), and various biopsies,in addition to the br.

for me the contractions felt like cramps (prolly not as bad as endo though, a friend of mine falls over with endo cramps). between contractions though it was very very peaceful. the crowning hurt, but not as bad as my surgery. really the crowning sensation is best realated to opening your mouth really wide, then pulling at the corners of your mouth with your fingers, feel that streach?
#71 of 104 Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 PM

i was burned (3rd degree) with hot cooking oil (a pan fell off a table and splashed on my leg) and that hurt TONS more than labor!

i have fibroids and during the end of my pregnancy when the baby got bigger she pushed on the fibroids and that hurt more than labor...i remember thinking that i was never going to be able to have a natural birth because just having fibroids hurt so much, but i did!

like some previous posters said, labor really can't be compared to other pain. i really wanted a natural birth and was scared that i wouldn't be able to do it, but it wasn't nearly as horrible as i thought it would be...difficult at times, but not horrible. i remember my midwife laughing right after dd was born when i said "well, i didn't like pushing too much, but overall that wasn't as bad as i thought it would be." can you get into water? i was in water for about 2 hours during the really hard part of my labor and it cut down on the pain big time!
#72 of 104 Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 AM

I was reading and posting to a birthstory here, and there is another horrible pain that was brought up that was worse than birth for me and that is SCIATICA! the fire that runs down my back, butt, thigh, shin to burn brightly in my foot and then the inablity to walk right...Yeah, I'll take labor over sciatica any day!

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#73 of 104 Old 05-14-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Ditto! I had a gallbladder attack and had my gallbladder taken out at 22 weeks with my dd. It was worse than labor because the pain was constant and unrelenting. It definitely 'prepared' me for labor and made it seem like a breeze.
#74 of 104 Old 05-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Worse than labor/delivery for me:

Recovering from a c/s w/my 3rd- completely unplanned c/s.

Having dr having to 'manually retrieve the placenta' after he pulled on the cord to deliver it (which I didn't know he was doing) and the cord detached. He put his hand/arm into my uterus to make sure the placenta was completely removed so there was no infection. I'd go through labor/delivery 10 times before having to do that again.

To me, labor/delivery is like a really, really hard workout. You push and push yourself. You wonder if you can make it. It's hard. You want to stop, but you can't/won't. You keep going. It's still hard. But, when it's over, you're SO glad you did it and realize it wasn't all that bad. Yes, it was hard, but it's such an accomplishment.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#75 of 104 Old 05-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Getting food poisoning.

Getting a cyst in my breast drained.

Worst of all - a shot of cortisone in my hip joint.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#76 of 104 Old 05-20-2006, 08:29 PM

I just wanted to say: THANK YOU! What a great thread! As I get closer to birthing my third, I have been more and more nervous. This thread reminded me that the pain I experienced during my first two labors was very short in retrospect (about 1 hr, during transition), and was also exacerbated by intervention and fear.

I have been using the hypnobirthing techniques this time, and then reading this thread, and I am actually excited about laboring! Any pain I might feel is just a reminder that the baby will be here SOON!

OH, and the stomach flu... ugh, much worse than labor. Got it a few years ago, hour upon hour of nausea and vomiting, the shakes, diarrhea at the same time as throwing up was the worst, whole body aches and pains, vomit coming out my nose, couldn't even think about food for days after. I HATE the stomach flu.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#77 of 104 Old 05-20-2006, 09:09 PM

Interesting thread! I just had my first birth experience, so I have been thinking about this type of thing from a different perspective than before and looking at the things about labor and newborns with a new eye - it is quite interesting!

Anyhow, I would rather compare labor to something non-medical, because that is how I want to think of it! It may be overused, but I like comparing labor to a marathon (sadly, I have not experienced this so I am working with outside knowledge and what I understand from my sister's experience in a marathon). It is a feat of endurance that you can prepare for, you know approximately when it is going to happen, and there are ways to make it more comfortable (stretches and exercises before hand, learning coping methods and positions for during the birth, choosing the right caregiver and attendants, etc.) A marathon is pretty consistently gruelling, however, and birth allows for some breaks when you REALLY need them. I said to my midwife at some point in labor: "I feel like my body is being pushed just to the point where I almost can't stand it, then it lets go." Her reply: "It will continue to do so, and as it does, your limit will reach farther than it ever has." Boy, was she right. The pushing was very hard, especially toward the end, and at that point I hung onto the fact that my baby was almost in my arms! (My MW reminded me of this periodically, too!) What a motivation! Now, I DO kind of wish I could put him back in for a few hours at night , but my tiny DS is more than worth the efforts and pain!

Good luck!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#78 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 AM

Morning sickness was much worse than labor for me.

Labor was easier to handle than most pain(for me) because it's easy to control mentally- you know what's happening, you know what your body is doing, you are prepared to handle it, and you know there is a reason for it and an end with a wonderful reward not far off.
#79 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I AGREE. I had my gallbladder taken out when my son was 3 weeks old. The gallbladder attacks were worse then labor. Hands down. Thought I was dying.
#80 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 04:13 PM

At 12, I had a spell of pain that the ER docs were convinced was appendicitis. I spent several hours curled in a ball moaning. The only reason I didn't have mine out (had classic rebound pain, white blood count, etc) was that the surgeon had to be called in and by the time he got there - I suddenly wasn't in pain.

I compare all pain to that. Labor and delivery weren't even close.

Honestly, with #1, I went into labor and kept waiting for it to get worse than the worst of my period cramps. I did have quite a backache, what with back labor (baby wasn't posterior; I learned in my 2nd labor that I apparently feel contractions mostly in my back), but it didn't get much beyond my worst cramps ever, and the same techniques I learned as a teen and young woman to get me through them helped immensely.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#81 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 PM

Long before I got pregnant, I took a med that made me INCREDIBLY constipated. But I needed to take the med every day, so I was always looking for ways to help with the constipation, anything from drinking more water to drinking metamucil/eathing metamucil crackers every day.

On one particularly bad stomach day, I took an exlax. I don't know if the dosage was too much for me, combined with the cumulative effects of the meds inside my stomach, or what..

but those stomach/intestine contractions as the exlax worked on emptying my gut were by far worse than what I went through during labor.

i'd rather go through labor any day. at least you get a beautiful little one out of it.
#82 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 PM

I get migraines and they are so much worse than labor- even my first labor which was a 32 hour long pitocin induction and was pretty exhausting and painful as a result.

My second labor was 100% natural- and I remember being very uncomfortable, I remember wanting to sit in a warm tub to “take the edge off” during transition, but as far a physical pain goes, here is a list of more painful experiences for me:
-gall bladder attack
-bad ear infection where my eardrum burst
-the recovery from having my wisdom teeth removed
-having plastic surgery to fix a scar on my face

Plus, as others have mentioned, contractions in labor may be described as painful, but it isn’t pain like other pain. I wish there was a different word for it. When I have had these other pain experiences, the pain was a sign that something was wrong, broken, hurt, it was a warning that I needed to fix and heal a part of my body. Labor didn’t feel wrong, especially the natural labor, it felt productive and not worrisome. I guess it is hard to explain.
#83 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 PM

Nothing. My son was posterior, the labor was long and horrible due to fear and discomfort with my surroundings and the midwives attending. Seriously. Nothing in this world could compare to the pain of labor, for me.
#84 of 104 Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Okay - I've never pushed a baby out, but I have laboured to 10cm dilation...20+ hours of back labour (not posterior - breech).

Things that hurt worse:
Recovering from my c-section
Tearing a ligament in my knee (hurt worse for about the first 4-5 days)
Dental fillings (I don't get freezing)
The time ds1 hit me in the eye and I saw sparks
Dropping the tailgate from the car on my head
Burning my hand on a hot pot

I get mild migraines, and I'd say they're about on a par with labour. But, I know about bad migraines, as my mom has suffered from them my whole life. I'd take labour over a serious migraine any day!

Labour hurt - no doubt about it - but...I enjoyed the pain. It felt...right - it wasn't pain like when you hurt yourself - it was pain that felt good (weird, huh?)...like the "burn" when you're working out. I want it back!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#85 of 104 Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 AM

I remember having a stomach virus at the same time I had my period. I was cramping, throwing up and having diarrhea. That was *way* worse than labor. At least with labor I got a break in between the pain.

I've had plenty of intestinal bugs that caused cramping worse than labor pains. Oh yeah, and the time I threw out my back? Seriously worse.
#86 of 104 Old 05-23-2006, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My ds1 was breech and scheduled for a c/s, but as a last ditch effort my ob tried an external cephalic version. This is where you lay down, they grease up your tummy with that ultrasound gel, and then they try to move the baby by grabbing him from the outside with their hands. The ob tried three times on me, and my ds was already so low that we couldn't turn him, but after having been through labor with my dd, I can tell you that the external version was WAY more painful than labor, and if you ever have to have one and they casually offer you some pain meds, TAKE IT. No one told me how much it would hurt. : Labor and birth, all natural, no problem; external version, no thank you!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#87 of 104 Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh, yeah...my second miscarriage made my labour look like a picnic in the park. The first and third m/c weren't quite as bad, but that second one was just brutally painful. Plus, of course, the miscarriages also had a tremendous amount of emotional pain, which makes it sooooo much harder to cope...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#88 of 104 Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 PM

Oh, yea, food poisioning has to be right up there above labor pain.

The thing about labor pain is that you can't quantify it like regular pain, because it is not ongoing for the most part (on 90seconds off for 3 minutes...give or take) so you get a break. It's not a creshendo, either. It's not like: if it hurts this much (.) at 3cm then it will hurt this much (0) at 10. It gets to a point of difficulty and then doesn't progress much more than that for most women (usually around 6-7cm is as hard as it is going to get) as far as labor is concerned.

Women's perception of pushing is as different as each woman. Some love it and it feels amazing, some hate it and just want it over so they can hold their baby. Either way, it's a relatively short amount of time in your life, and you were born to do it
#89 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 01:18 AM

I just posted in this thread the other day, and then I was looking back at old journals and forgot all about something that hurt worse!

I had my tonsils out in 2002. My mom was taking care of me while I healed, and giving me the wrong dosage of pain meds. She gave me 2 tsp rather than 2 tbsp, so I basically felt everything for two weeks. It was the most horrific experience of my life. I prayed every hour of every day to make the pain stop. I clutched a rosary, even.

Yea. That was WAY worse than labor. At least labor didn't last for weeks at the same intensity.
#90 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 01:36 PM

I can safely say that I have never experienced a worse kind of pain than the back labor I experienced with my posterior son. It was like I was being electrocuted.

The only other pain I've had that came remotely close to labor was my knee reconstruction surgery/recovery.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page