What hurt more than labor for you? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Okay - I've never pushed a baby out, but I have laboured to 10cm dilation...20+ hours of back labour (not posterior - breech).
THAT was the "labor" part to me. I expected the pushing to be the hard part, but the pushing out was a piece of cake compared to the contractions that lead to dilation.
#92 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
THAT was the "labor" part to me. I expected the pushing to be the hard part, but the pushing out was a piece of cake compared to the contractions that lead to dilation.

It was the exact opposite for me! I could have labored much longer, even though it was intense and exhausting... but pushing was horrible. It just felt akward and wrong and I couldn't get into the momentum of it, not to mention the buring which is by far the worst pain I've ever felt. Its amazing how different it is for each of us.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#93 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 PM

I think how much labor hurts depends on sooooo many things. Your mental state, your position, baby's position, your own pain tolerance, whether or not you were induced, etc.

That said, I have a very low pain tolerance, and I had hospital births where I couldn't move as much as I would have liked, and there isn't much in my life that compares to labor, esp. induced labor. I think a badly broken ankle, and healing from an episiotomy (avoid that mess at all costs!) were the only things worse. C-section was comparable in the intensity of the pain, but it was more localized, which I personally found easier to deal with. Wouldn't opt for an elective section to avoid labor, trust me, but that was my experience of just the pain aspect.
#94 of 104 Old 05-28-2006, 09:45 PM

for me nothing hurt worse.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#95 of 104 Old 05-29-2006, 12:04 AM

PIT CONTRACTIONS! Hands down, labor was breezy until the f***ing nurses decided I wasn't doing it fast enough.

Appendicitis in the ER for nearly 24 hours before a proper diagnosis.

Dental work with ineffective anasthetic.

Food poisoning.

Gas/constipation pains in postpartum recovery. Never had them before, didn't know what it was, and was terrified and ended up doubled over and falling out of the shower and couldn't move.
#96 of 104 Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 PM

I don't think anything has hurt so bad as the revved-up-on-tons-of-Pitocin labor I had with my dd. But, that's not "real labor pain", IMO - it has been enhanced.

Have you ever had really bad diarrhea, where you are cramping and doubled over and in a cold sweat? IMO, that is what hard labor is like.
#97 of 104 Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM

I had a horrible back labor that lasted for 32 hours and ended in emergency cesearean. The first 25 hours of labor were fun, productive, hard work and a challange. The last 7 hours of labor were hell. Up until then nothing had hurt as bad, and I had had my big toenail ripped off 3 weeks before. Labor was worse.

UNTIL, they botched the epidural they gave me before the cesearean. A spinal headache is worse than labor. I have migraines, and a spinal headache is worse by far than a migraine. Imagine feeling your brain bang against your skull.

I only share this because I was really mad after my labor that EVERYONE I had talked to sugar coated how badly it was going to hurt, hiding it behind euphamisms like intense. Even my bradly instructor had sugar coated it. After I gave birth, woman would say conspiratorialy to me, about how bad it was, but never while I was pregnant. This didn't give me time to prepare for how bad it was.

So, I would do anything at all to avoid another epidural and chance another two week long spinal headache, because even malpresented back labor and your midwife pulling a lip is not as bad as a spinal headache.
#98 of 104 Old 07-25-2006, 05:38 PM

My impacted wisdom teeth hurt a million times worse than labor. I had a c-section with spotty anesthesia and that hurt much worse than labor pains.

And sciatica during my seventh month hurt much worse than labor.
#99 of 104 Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Classic migraines (the one's where half your body goes numb and you're sure you're having a stroke)

Double ear infection and the flu while taking the ACT

Recovery from a c/s

Having a &&*&%%$$ good-for-nothing OB try to force my cervix from 7-10cm manually

pitocin contractions after amniotomy

Maryhippie.gif

#100 of 104 Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 PM

I don't know if I would say it hurt , but mastitus was definitely worse than labor for me. I was violently ill (the sickest I've ever been) and in pain for a week.
#101 of 104 Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 AM

Aack... don't scare the OP! Labour pain is good... it's productive pain. I coped really well with it. Pushing was uncomfortable but your body does it for you so in a weird way it feels really good --- in fact, it felt good for 4 hours . :

Most painful... the "freaking" vacuum they used to try and help my son come out... and the subsequent stomach pain after I tried to get out of bed after the c-section.

if you have a birth with very minimal interventions, you'll do great! Good luck!

Also, a few years ago I bent over and picked something up (wrong) and did something to my back so that every step I took I got these insane back spasms. That was much worse than labour.
#102 of 104 Old 07-26-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzardbits
I was reading and posting to a birthstory here, and there is another horrible pain that was brought up that was worse than birth for me and that is SCIATICA! the fire that runs down my back, butt, thigh, shin to burn brightly in my foot and then the inablity to walk right...Yeah, I'll take labor over sciatica any day!
I hear ya momma. I've been suffering from Sciatica condition for the last year, since I was pg with DS2, in fact. I'm getting to the point where I can hardly take it. I'm nauseated with pain, and I have to walk dragging my foot along because the nerve is rendering my left side useless. It sucks!

What tops all for me is the pain following a cystoscopy. This is where they fill your bladder with sterile water, then insert a little scope through your urethra to look around for abnormalities. For about 48 hours following, I BURNED from the opening of my urethra to the base of my spine. I passed little clots in my urine...OW! After that, I knew I could handle drug free labors, and I have!
#103 of 104 Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM

Believe it or not, I've had migraines that are worse than labor was for me. And I was on pit for two days! I never did make it to transition or pushing, though, just four days of contractions, so maybe the perineal burning would have been worse than my worst migraines.

For me, the difference really was mental. With every contraction, I got through it by knowing it would end in a minute or a few, and that it was productive pain (turns out I was wrong about the productive part-- but that's another story) and thinking HARD about my baby. With the worst migraines, it's like contractions in my head, with no ups and downs and no end in sight. The ONLY conventional medicine I take is for migraines-- I knock myself out with Tylenol PM in addition to hot showers and the rest.
#104 of 104 Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 PM

NOTHING has ever hurt me more than labor.

With my 1st son I was only in labor 2 hours 20 minutes and I went from no contractions to intense contractions 1 minute apart lasting 45 seconds. I had no time to transition into the harder contractions.

With my 2nd son I was only in labor for a little under 3 hours. My water broke at 1:30, had my first contraction around 2:40 am and from that point on it felt like my back was going to split in half. The nurse in the hospital told me just to lay on my back. Didn't suggest any other positions or anything. Well my son came out face up so no wonder it hurt so bad. 3 hours of back labor laying in a hospital bed on my back!!! OUCH.

Both labors were non-medicated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page