What hurt more than labor for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be having my first in November and am trying to frame my expectations based on previous experience. Have you had pain worse than labor?

I've had migraines so bad I can't really move or talk, period cramps with endometriosis (a few times with vomiting, unable to walk or talk, lying on the bathroom floor, getting all white shaky and clammy ), laparoscopy (abdominal surgery), and an ear infection that ruptured the eardrum.

The midwife said that having dealt with pain in the past is helpful, but It's so hard to know what IS painful. I mean, my "7" could be someone elses "5" or "9"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM

My migraines are worse then normal labor (back labor is the worst pain I've experienced, and I didn't know that I had options to move the baby to get rid of the pain). I've had each lung collapse 10-30% and that pain was worse. I think I have IBS and some of the gas pains I get are 10x worse then labor.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
getting my nose pierced hurt as bad a labor. pushing felt great for me. I actually don'r remember them hurting AT ALL. looking at the video they did lol, but you forget it. now the actual contrax hurt like hell. I had 2 hosp epidural births before my home birth and I am a BIG BIG sissy with pain. I cry when I pluck my eybrows. If you are comfortable where you labor it is so much easier.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Two labours: one 44 hours of hard labour, posterior and maternal exhaustion; one 2.5 hours of "hard" labour.

Things that hurt worse?
Migraines
Unmedicated wisdom tooth extraction
The first week of c-section recovery. I'd do 44 hours of hard labour twice over to avoid a c-section again.
Waking up in the recovery room 45 minutes after a c-section without *any* pain medication.
Injuring my pelvis during my first pregnancy with the daughter so badly that I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself for a month.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregongirlie
I've had migraines so bad I can't really move or talk, period cramps with endometriosis (a few times with vomiting, unable to walk or talk, lying on the bathroom floor, getting all white shaky and clammy ), laparoscopy (abdominal surgery), and an ear infection that ruptured the eardrum.
I would rather go through labor than those ^^^ pains. At least with labor you have time in between ctx and the intensity increases and then most importantly Decreases.

I have had severe lower back pain that makes breathing difficult and the pain was constant no matter which way i moved. With labor, during ctx, you can find positions, or techniques that help to decrease pain.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:18 PM

kidney biopsy. lidocaine just didn't work! i felt terrible.
pushing hurts like hell, but you are in euphoria and it changes everything.

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Old 04-26-2006, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kidney stones. Good golly, I could have three or four babies naturally and not add up to that pain.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzardbits
I would rather go through labor than those ^^^ pains. At least with labor you have time in between ctx and the intensity increases and then most importantly Decreases.
Exactly!!!
Also, there's a prize at the end. With things like endometriosis cramps, migraines or surgery... you have nothing. It's just pain for NO REASON!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 PM

There was just a thread like this not too long ago....it got pretty big, you might try looking for it........

But for me, NOTHING on earth was ever one percent as bad as labor.

I get migraines, i get ovarian cysts, i get horrible PMS, i have had my wrist smashed(broken in like 5 places), been in a motorcycle wreck resulting in a horrible burn and road pizza on my leg, had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once.......all of these lumped together were a tiny fraction of even one contraction. Labor was HECK for me.

And for me, there was no "high" no "euphoria" no solace at all...."pain with a purpose" my patootie!!!!
I ended up with horrible PTSD for about a year after dd was born.......

CPST
Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM

I don't think you can really compare... I mean, labor is an aweful kind of hurt... but its a "natural" pain, a productive pain, I don't know of anything else that produces that "type" of pain. It was HARD pain, like I was being driven fiercly into the ground. It was just too different to compare it to the many other intense pains I've felt.

I will say this though, for me, recovery and breastfeeding were harder than labor, and there was a lot of pain involved there... but that doesn't really help does it?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
Exactly!!!
Also, there's a prize at the end. With things like endometriosis cramps, migraines or surgery... you have nothing. It's just pain for NO REASON!!
Unless you reward yourself with chocolate... okay, I know it doesn't help the situation, but it makes me feel better.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM

I have had stomach aches, food poisoning, intestinal infection... LOTS of things are worse than labor! And anyway... you get a baby at the end of labor. Natural labor for me - without pain drugs- was much more physically rewarding than with an epidural or spinal. (I had one of each - had 3 kids!)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99

And for me, there was no "high" no "euphoria" no solace at all...."pain with a purpose" my patootie!!!!
I ended up with horrible PTSD for about a year after dd was born.......
No? I always assumed that my euphoria and physical high after my son was born without pain meds was due to natural pain killers in my body and that everybody would get them. It was an out-of-body experience. A deeply medatative state, if you will.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097
No? I always assumed that my euphoria and physical high after my son was born without pain meds was due to natural pain killers in my body and that everybody would get them. It was an out-of-body experience. A deeply medatative state, if you will.
It is.
However, intense fear can prevent that from happening. If you psyche yourself up, or you get too "into" the pain, don't work with it, don't respect it, fear it.... etc. You're not going to get that.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 PM

Ovarian Cyst Torsion. Not fun.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 PM

Gallbladder 'attacks'/gallstones. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 04-26-2006, 10:30 PM

For me, migraines, the flu, and food poisoning are WAY WORSE than labor. Labor was very manageable, with only the last couple of hours making me feel out of control.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It is.
However, intense fear can prevent that from happening. If you psyche yourself up, or you get too "into" the pain, don't work with it, don't respect it, fear it.... etc. You're not going to get that.

And sometimes, it just hurts like a b!tch. My 5th birth was horribly painful, after 4 very easy, very fast births, one completely painless. I had no fear. I had discovered the secret to painless birth! Until my fifth, when I tried to bash my head against the wall to knock myself out. There was no euphoria, I barely wanted to hold him after.

I still had 2 more babies after that, but I will NEVER, I mean NEVER, get my eyebrows waxed again! I was traumatized after the first time, the pain lasted for days.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
And sometimes, it just hurts like a b!tch. My 5th birth was horribly painful, after 4 very easy, very fast births, one completely painless. I had no fear. I had discovered the secret to painless birth! Until my fifth, when I tried to bash my head against the wall to knock myself out. There was no euphoria, I barely wanted to hold him after.
By no means do I intend to imply that birth is painless for everyone.

However, "Until my fifth, when I tried to bash my head against the wall to knock myself out" -
It doesn't seem like you handled it very well. Could it be that you were mentally unprepared for a higher level of pain, having had so many easy labours, and therefore didn't have adequate coping skills?

My first was incredibly difficult, my second labour was practically non-existant. However, even though my first hurt a LOT I still wouldn't call it the worst pain or anything... pain is literally in your head, and in our heads is where we deal with it.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 PM

food poisoning was wayyyy worse than contractions

pushing kinda sucked but it didnt last long

why oh why get dental work done without meds? i'm just gonna assume you are joking.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole
why oh why get dental work done without meds? i'm just gonna assume you are joking.
Didn't do it on purpose, and I'm not joking.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
By no means do I intend to imply that birth is painless for everyone.

However, "Until my fifth, when I tried to bash my head against the wall to knock myself out" -
It doesn't seem like you handled it very well. Could it be that you were mentally unprepared for a higher level of pain, having had so many easy labours, and therefore didn't have adequate coping skills?

No, it had to do with a posterior, military presentation, 9 1/2 pound baby with a 15.5" head and a fractured coccyx after 5 1/2 hours of pushing. Nothing to do with the state of my mind and everything to do with the state of my butt.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:

No, it had to do with a posterior, military presentation, 9 1/2 pound baby with a 15.5" head and a fractured coccyx after 5 1/2 hours of pushing. Nothing to do with the state of my mind and everything to do with the state of my butt.
I see! Special circumstances.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 PM

The early part of labor wasn't bad. It was actually exciting and enjoyable. But on the third day... I was sick of it and it hurt like crazy! Transition is horrid!

I had a cesarean with my first and the recovery from that was much easier than labor, birth, or recovery from my VBAC.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM

I didn't read this entire thread yet. I have always been able to compare labor with other pain that I have had, just not the duration or intensity, if that makes sense. For me the contractions were the worst part. The pushing burned, like rug burn, or intense warm feeling. Indian burn, if you know what that is. I know this is tmi, but I removed a dry tampon the other day and it felt like pushing out my daughter. That same familiar burning sensation. The contractions for me were like menstral cramps that hurt my entire body, meaning the pain started in abdomen and over took my whole body with pain. I hope you are a lucky momma who has very little pain b/c some peopl do have less pain than others. Just be prepared for the sensations when you push, I think most ppl are familiar with the labor pains b/c they have had menstrual cramps, but I find most are not familiar with what it will feel like to push.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:33 PM

nak
nothing so far in my life has hurt more than labor, but now that i said that something prob will lol
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyangel80
I think most ppl are familiar with the labor pains b/c they have had menstrual cramps, but I find most are not familiar with what it will feel like to push.
I think that the labor pains were similar to menstrual cramps, but so much worse! But - I have extremely mild and gentle periods, so maybe that's it. Pushing sucked. The "ring of fire" you hear about, though - not so bad. Kind of felt like really chapped lips.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:

I hear that, mama. I guess if you went on to have 2 more your back healed. OP labors and (especially) OP deliveries are intense and I think beyond comparable to normal presentations.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:04 AM

CLimbing Long's Peak in CO hurt more/was harder work than my labor. It wassomething like 17 miles round trip. We had to start at 3am. I was out of shape. DIdn't stop. Got back down at 8pm.

THe contractions during my homebirth hurt far less than the contractions in my first birth, which were pitocin induced.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:12 AM

I had hip pain during the third trimester that felt terrible, especially at night. After I gave birth naturally, I BEGGED for narcotics for my hip pain. They hurt even worse after dd was born. Who knew I would want percoset after delivery, but no drugs during?

User Tag List