perineum - the tear is healed how long will it ache? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm fairly new to this forum, so I apologize if this has been covered before - I'm not sure if there is a way to search past posts.

I am almost 8 weeks postpartum with baby number 2 (born at 9lbs and 15" head). I don't exactly know what kind of tear I had - but I seemed to "split" open between my anus and my vagina - I didn't tear from the openings at all. I think something similar happened with number 1. My midwife did not pick up that I was opened up at all when she saw me on day 2. At my 1 week visit with her birth assistant we discussed that it might just be a big hemmeroid (although she didn't look at it). At three weeks I saw my midwife again because I was sure I had an open wound. She confirmed that. We decided not to do anything because it had healed about half way at that point and she thought it would be better to leave it open (stitching didn't seem appropriate at that point she was going to use the adhesive stuff).

Anyway, the wound has now healed, but my perineum is still sore and tender to the touch. If I carry my son around for multiple hours during the day which I love to do and he seems to need, my perineum is sore and achey. After my first son's birth this went on for months. Any recommendations for helping this area to heal faster and not get so achey and tired?

Thanks! Katie

User Tag List