Induction at 35 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I found out last night that a friend of mine had her baby a week and a half ago. She had polyamnios (double amniotic fluid) and her water broke on a Friday. She went into the hospital and, as she hadn't started contracting, they started to induce her. They then realized they had no beds, so they stopped induction and pumped her full of antibiotics. They said she had to be induced by Wednesday, no matter what, so Wednesday came around, they induced her and baby was born on Thursday. Baby's on a ventilator now, her lungs were developed (my friend had a steroid injection when they discovered the polyamnios because they made the assumption she'd be early), but her ribcage was not. She should be home within the next week.
This just seems so wrong to me. I mean, she must have still had enough amniotic fluid around the baby if they didn't do an induction right away instead of waiting a prescribed number of days. And can't the membranes reseal if LEFT ALONE? And isn't the risk of infection negligable if nothing is inserted into mom's vagina? So, if left alone, maybe it was nature's way of getting rid of half the fluid to allow her to carry to term?
Ughhh, I can't say anything about it to my friend, either. I'm just so ticked off for her.
Someone tell me I'm wrong and that all the interventions were neccessary. I'll sleep better tonight if that's the case.
#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know anything about the too much fluid, but your line of thinking sounds very reasonable to me.

All too often the medical community dramatizes "emergencies." It's interesting that broken waters isn't considered an emergency by them when they don't have room. Normally, your water breaks, baby has to be out in 24 hours according to the mainstream.
#3 of 3 Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
They said she had to be induced by Wednesday, no matter what, so Wednesday came around, they induced her and baby was born on Thursday. Baby's on a ventilator now, her lungs were developed (my friend had a steroid injection when they discovered the polyamnios because they made the assumption she'd be early), but her ribcage was not. She should be home within the next week.
Glad they got the steroids in the mama. That is annoying when they induce right away, although, not knowing how much fluid was left after her water broke, it's hard to say whether it was right or wrong. When my water broke at 29 weeks, I did have enough fluid (it was "low", but still enough for baby to survive), and it was increasing gradually - 3.1 increased to about 4, so they kept me out of labor for 4 days, then took me off drugs and said "If you go, you go. If not, you could be here for weeks". So in my case, they were not putting me on a time limit, since I was getting antibiotics, and we were taking care not to put things in my vagina (I did NOT let them check dilation when I entered the hospital).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
And can't the membranes reseal if LEFT ALONE?
In some cases they do, but not always. If it was a big gushing break, it may not have been able to reseal. Slow leaks can usually reseal, and some gushes can reseal, but not all - depends on where the break is, etc. The good news is that you keep replenishing the fluid, so even with a hole, the baby can still survive in many cases. But at 35 weeks, it may have been determined that the baby's chances were better on the outside. I mean, a 35 weeker pretty much has near 100% chance of survival, whereas someone going in with a 24 weeker will be kept pregnant much longer. Many doctors want to induce sometime between 32 and 35 weeks after PPROM occurs, because eventually, the risk to mom and baby with baby still in there becomes greater than the risk of baby coming out at that gestation. You also have a risk of cord prolapse.

I can't tell you that everything was necessary in your friend's case, but I can't say they were wrong either. An important thing to know when making such a decision is probably how much fluid was left. If the AFI was only 1, for example, I'd say the risk of baby coming out at 35 weeks would probably be less than baby staying in with that level of fluid for a long time. But if it was still over 5, it'd probably be ok, but again, the risk of infection and such is there (especially if they have done any dilation checks or stuck anything in her vagina upon entering the hospital), and it might still be best for baby to come out early. Yes it's scary to see a baby hooked up to tubes for breathing, but the fact that the baby is coming home within one week of birth is a good sign. My 29 weeker had to stay 4 weeks, but he was perfectly healthy for his gestation, and he's a healthy 22 month old now. My son was only on a ventilator for about 12 hours. I'd gotten a full 2 days worth of steroids and then had 2 days for them to kick in before the birth, and he came out screaming. I was not induced - they "let" me deliver by taking me off contraction-stopping drugs. But it is not uncommon to induce a PPROM mama between 32-35 weeks. Whether that's right or wrong probably depends on the individual situation.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page