Question for those of you who's water broke naturally... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many weeks were you when it happened? What was it like? Did anything bring it on (ie... contractions, sex, walking).

Im just curious because I had my first baby at 33 weeks (was induced and ended in c-section) and my next baby I had pre-term labor and had him at 35.6 weeks but water never broke before they did the c-section.
#2 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 PM

I was 41+ weeks. It broke a couple hours after I went to bed. It was a big warm, gush. At first I thought I peed, but it kept coming and didn't smell like urine. I hadn't done anything to try to encourage it and had actually been very relaxed and forcing myself not to do too much for the past couple of days.
#3 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM

They had to break with two babes, but the third the water broke just as she popped her little self down the birth canal. i did lose my mucous plug a day or two before labour, tho...
#4 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:24 PM

It was the day before my due date; 2:30 am. I was just drifting back to sleep after a potty run. I felt a soft "pop" and even heard it too. It didn't hurt or anything. Right away I was pretty sure it was my water breaking, and shortly after I felt the warm liquid trickling out. (It didn't gush out till I reached the bathroom, thankfully.)
#5 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 PM

First baby they broke them (ruddy idiots).....

2nd time, they broke naturally, it was wonderful, had been contracting since 5am, decided to feed DD1 at around 2, she latched on and withing a couple of minutes I had a massive contraction and thats when I felt a gush and knew my waters had gone....... Absolutely fantastic!!!
#6 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 PM

Mine broke 3 days from my due date. I heard a pop...got up to go to the bathroom (since I had to pee) and my water broke while I was on the toilet after another pop sound. I don't think I would have noticed if it hadn't been stained with meconium. My labor started immediately afterward.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#7 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 PM

my water broke naturally about an hour before I had the baby. I had been in labor all night and it was about 9am or so when my water broke. I felt really pushy by them and couldn't resist the urge. so I think that's what made my waters break.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#8 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:33 PM

with both my boys labor started with my water breaking. both times i was in bed, and both times I felt a mildly crampy contraction, moved to get comfortable and it broke.

with ds1 it was just a trickle, it wasn't obvious to me that it had broken but i knew i didn't pee my pants, lol! I was around 38.5 weeks. We probably had sex the night before (broke in the morning), but I don't remember for sure.

with ds2 it was a dramatic pop and gush just like you read about. there was no mistaking it was my water, pretty wild feeling, so exciting! i was 37wks5days. We had sex that morning and my water broke around 2pm. I had also gone for a walk and played outside with ds1, but none of that was any different from what I did every day.
#9 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 05:55 PM

my waters released about 18 hours into my laboring (halfway through) at 41 weeks 1 day.

i see you are pregnant again... are you planning another c-section or a vbac?

~claudia
#10 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 06:35 PM

Mine broke at 38w5d on it's own and labor didn't start after 24 hours, so the dr started pit at that point. (I was contracting, but wasn't making any progress.)

Forgot to add, nothing seemed to "bring it on" I was actually in bed when it happened.

It felt like a gush of warm water and there was a lot and it continued to trickle that entire day.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#11 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 PM

With my first I was 36 weeks, and nothing brought it on that I know of (although I was under a ton of stress at the time). I was going to bed and felt a HARD kicking or punching type feeling and heard a loud pop. It sounded like a cork from a bottle. When I stood up to use the bathroom, nothing happened, but then I used the bathroom, and when I sttod up again, water rushed down my legs.

With my second, it was a little more complicated, but I was having lots of complications and they were trying to stop my contractions in the hospital at 33 weeks. I used the bathroom and got back into my bed, and felt that same kicking/punching feeling, minus the sound, and water started flowing out. When the perinatologist came back in the room to see if it was amnio. fluid, he helped me lift my rear off the bed to examine me and fluid came gushing out.
#12 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeria_vi
my water broke naturally about an hour before I had the baby. I had been in labor all night and it was about 9am or so when my water broke. I felt really pushy by them and couldn't resist the urge. so I think that's what made my waters break.
Same for me, except it broke at 5 AM- baby was born at 6 AM.
#13 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 07:23 PM

My water starting leakijng , slowly when I was 36 weeks with my son. I did notice the leaking soon after I had lifted up a big watermelon off our porch and carried in the house, I have no idea if it's connected though. Then after I was induced (unnecessarily I know now) I heard a pop and my water broke for the rest of the way.
I have no clue when my water broke with my dd (my first), I'm not sure if it happened as she crowned or maybewhen I was in the shower while I was in labor and so I didn't notice.

I have also never noticed loosing my mucus plug.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#14 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 07:55 PM

Baby #2 -- 38 wks 5 days; broke during labor. Had one contraction where he flipped, my water broke and he crowned. All in one. Loads of fun!
Baby #3 -- 40 wks to the day; don't know when it broke to be honest. It might have broken and then labor started or might havebroken while I was in the birth tub. I heard a huge SNAP! while I was laying down in the dark, but it may have been my pubic bone. I never was certain. I had two ctx and then two more where I felt the need to make a quiet deep "OH" sound, on that second one I heard the SNAP! Either way, my baby was born less than 2 hrs after the SNAP!.
Not much help

Namaste, Tara
#15 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Baby #1- SROM at 39 weeks after sex, during light contractions
Baby #2- born in the caul (bag of waters was intact until after the birth)
Baby #3- water broke as the baby was crowning

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 PM

I was 39 weeks. I woke up around 5am and passed my mucus plug. Four hours later, a warm trickle started, followed by gushing about 3 hours after that. Unfortunately, I was only 1cm when I got to the hospital, though. It was a long labor.
I have no idea what triggered it. I was walking 6 miles a day up until the day before my water broke so it's possible the walking did it, but I don't know.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#17 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Thursday and Friday I remember going for a couple long walks and having some Braxton Hicks.

Saturday and Sunday I nested like a maniac and cleaned the entire apartment. To the point where dh put me on a time out when he caught me climbing a chair to sweep the ceiling corners.

Monday morning I woke up around 5:45 a.m., stood up, and my water broke with a huge gush. I had several more large gushes, then it slowed to a trickle. Contractions started about half an hour later.

I was 38.5 weeks pregnant.
#18 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:11 PM

My water didn't break until right before dd was born.

-Angela
#19 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 PM

#1 I was 41 weeks and in active labor. The CNM broke it without my consent (it was bulging) and sent me into transitional labor. Baby was born about 45 minutes later.

#2 I was 41 weeks and in transitional labor. Midwife was trying to encourage movement of the last 1/2 centimeter of my cervix and my water broke in a gush. Pushed 3 times and baby was born (less than 5 minute as well as I can recall)

#3 I was 41 weeks (sensing a theme yet? :LOL) at 1 a.m.ish and I was surfing MDC and I started trickling, but had no dicernable labor for several hours. Felt like I peed myself little, but it kept trickling (there is a thread out there somewhere about it :LOL). Didn't have a "gush" until the baby was born 18 hours later.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#20 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM

39w5days, totally didn't expect, wasn't trying, middle of the night after I turned over.
#21 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine broke at 29 weeks (PPROM). I hadn't done anything different from normal. At midnight, I got up for my normal midnight-pee, and as I was walking to the bathroom, it just "released"! I ran to the bathroom, and fluid was running down my legs all over the bathroom floor. I didn't hear any popping sound or feel anything except a bunch of fluid coming out. Sat on the toilet and said "Uh oh!", to which my husband awoke and said "Is that a 'call the midwife' uh oh?", and I said yes.

Contractions didn't start until about 11 hours later, at which point the hospital put me on drugs to stop those contractions, since they were obviously way too early.

I don't know if it feels any different in a full term woman or not... I'm hoping to find out this pregnancy.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#22 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 09:35 PM

40 weeks, maybe 10 minutes before she came out. Itw as a fast labor.
#23 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 PM

With baby #1 my water broke at 36 weeks. I was awakened by a pop and a gushing sensation in the middle of the night. Contractions started immediately afterwards. I delivered 11 hours later.

With baby #2 my water broke at 38 weeks. I had gotten up to pee at about 2 AM and it broke while I was on the toilet. Contractions started about half an hour afterwards. I delivered a little over 3 hours later.

With baby #3 I was induced at 37.5 weeks (preecclampsia) via Cervidil gel. My water broke during a contraction when I was at 4 cm. The nurse was getting ready to check me and had just asked whether my water had broken. It broke with the next contraction, so I answered: "It has now."

I've always said that if my water didn't break before or early in labor, I'd have no way to tell if I was in labor!

I've heard that only about 10 percent of women actually have their water break on its own before active labor begins.
#24 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 09:58 PM

39 weeks.
#25 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 10:20 PM

Mine broke at 40 1/2 weeks. I had just gotten done nursing my then 21 month old. I stood up and felt a tiny fist punching my cervix and then a huge warm gush all over the floor.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#26 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Baby #1 37 wks, 6 days with no active labor, lots of interventions leading to c/s. Was just a trickle, and I thought I peed a little

Baby #2 6 days shy of EDD after 2 weeks of prodromal labor (was 5cm at the time), still no real active labor until 26 hours later. Was a gush, and each contraction would gush some more. Baby born vaginally with only antibiotics as an intervention.
#27 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 PM

My water broke on its own both times. First one it broke as baby crowned.(38.5 weeks) Second one it broke twice. First was a high small break at about 2am. I'd been in early labor for about three hours but was in bed trying to sleep. As I was dozing, I felt a snap like a rubber band hitting my belly, heard a pop, and felt a little trickle, but it sealed up after that. Then, at about 10am, I was completely effaced, 4.5 cm dilated, ctx every four minutes, and midwife had just left because she didn't believe I was in active labor and I wouldn't let her break my water (again) to "get things going..." and it broke with a huge gush as I was packing my bag for the hospital. Ds was born 1.5 hours later. (37weeks exactly) ETA: Had six weeks of prodromal labor with both babies.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#28 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 11:01 PM

My water broke on it's own about 5 minutes (if that) before dd was born. I was at 42 weeks (roughly).

Just curious, why were you induced at 33 weeks?
#29 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 11:30 PM

My first sprung a small leak with a contraction which was the first of many and gave birth 9 1/2 hours later.

My second didn't break until I was pushing him out, about 5 minutes before birth.

Both were homebirths.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#30 of 79 Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Just curious, why were you induced at 33 weeks?
Was just about to ask that. That seems REALLY REALLY dangerous.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page