Rhogam - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 116 Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
I am curious what people used to do before any sort of Rhogam. Rh negative women are not exactly rare.
True and before Rhogam, their babies died. My greeat aunt had this. One baby who was largely healthy, one still birth, 3 mischarages, 2 more still births, one healthy baby, 4 miscarriages. She also needed a blood transfusion after an accident and almost died.

I had two doses with ds (0+) and I will have a dose at 28 weeks (2 more weeks).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#92 of 116 Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini View Post
Can I jump on this thread and ask a related question?

Is it necessary to do it during the pg AND at delivery? Would it be effective to just do it at delivery, therefore preventing it from affecting the baby in any way?
Routine immunisation during pregnancy reduces the rate from around 1.5% to around 0.7%. This is even with immunisation after bleeds/trauma. The theory is that micro bleeds cause sensitisation and no-one is any the wiser.

Routiine prenatal Rhogam jabs were started in the UK. The NHS is reknowned for thorough cost-benefit analyses. No "wow, the drug companies are sellign something, it must be useful" from them. And Rhogam is in drastically short supply, due to the difficulty in finding sensitised people these days. There's hardly a need to drum up business.

It IS a nasty jab, in that its derived from human blood products, but it's necessary. I had it.

And I'm another example of immunisation during pregnancy. At birth of my first pregnancy, with no known bleeds, my baby had anti-A antibodies from me. I was sensitised to her blood with absolutely no symptoms. Luckily we're both Rh- (ABO sensitisation is less serious).
#93 of 116 Old 02-15-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Routiine prenatal Rhogam jabs were started in the UK.
i'm not rh- but my friend is which is why I clicked this thread...and I thought I read earlier in the thread that the UK DOESN'T do antenatal Rhogam shots?

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#94 of 116 Old 02-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
True and before Rhogam, their babies died.
If Rh- women are so common, then it seems like it would've affected the population more over the years of evolution. If all their babies died . . . non-reproducing individuals get bred out because their genes aren't reproduced to the next generation. Maybe it's still around because it's recessive, but it still seems rather odd that the shot hasn't been around that long but Rh- women and their kids have been around evolving for years.
Sorry I guess I'm just rambling. I really don't believe the shot is necessary.
#95 of 116 Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
If Rh- women are so common, then it seems like it would've affected the population more over the years of evolution. If all their babies died . . . non-reproducing individuals get bred out because their genes aren't reproduced to the next generation. Maybe it's still around because it's recessive, but it still seems rather odd that the shot hasn't been around that long but Rh- women and their kids have been around evolving for years.
Sorry I guess I'm just rambling. I really don't believe the shot is necessary.
What you are saying it only partially true, though. The issue is not Rh- women per se ONLY Rh- women who have Rh+ partners and only when they produce an Rh+ baby. Rh- is not nearly as common as Rh+ and it varies among populations (such that historically in a group with high Rh- you would also have a height change of having an Rh- breeding partner and in groups with low rh- the likelihood of an rh- woman and an rh+ man with an rh+ baby would be much, much lower). Rh- people continue to reproduce with out problems, passing rh- traits in hetero and homo forms onto their children and their children and so forth. My grandfather is rh-, his wife + and they had 2 rh- chilren. Their rh- son's both had kids (4 total) and of those kids one (me) is rh-. Had I choosen as rh- mating partner, I would not have any issues, but I have a partner who is rh+, and a child now who is also rh+ (although he likely carries rh- as a recessive in the hetero form).

So, the shot is not necessary per se. The species (and even rh negativity) would survive without its. But, there is no arguing with the fact that many, many women, my great aunt included, had multiple miscarriages and stillbirths before the shot was available.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#96 of 116 Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 AM

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#97 of 116 Old 05-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Bump
Great info here, though I am still reeling from it all.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#98 of 116 Old 05-16-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm glad this was in the Birth forum, as I don't go over to Vax that often anymore (now that we've quit). I've been going back and forth on prenatal Rhogam and have now decided to wait and only get it if this baby is + after birth.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#99 of 116 Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 AM

I became sensitized just 11 weeks into my first pregnancy after being involved in a roll-over accident. They had preformed an ultrasound at the hospital but they hadn't noticed any bleeding so I was let go. Then I notified my doctor and he said since the hospital had discharged me, that I was fine. I didn't know anything about rhogam at that point, so I didn't know to ask for it. At 28 weeks they discovered their error. I was sent to a high risk doctor and monitored very closely. However at 38 weeks my daughter was born severely anemic. After a few weeks in the NICU she was finally sent home. My second daughter was also affected but by only one of my anti-bodies so she only stayed 3 weeks in the NICU. Then I became pregnant again. At 18 weeks my son was allready severely anemic and had to have a PUBS/transfusion. Then another a week later, followed by two more 2 weeks apart. On the last transfusion, something went wrong and my son was born at 28 weeks. Now he is 34 weeks and he is still having transfusions and of course still in the NICU.

So the moral behind this story...get the shot! I wish that I had been able to get it.
#100 of 116 Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanderann View Post
I became sensitized just 11 weeks into my first pregnancy after being involved in a roll-over accident. They had preformed an ultrasound at the hospital but they hadn't noticed any bleeding so I was let go. Then I notified my doctor and he said since the hospital had discharged me, that I was fine. I didn't know anything about rhogam at that point, so I didn't know to ask for it. At 28 weeks they discovered their error. I was sent to a high risk doctor and monitored very closely. However at 38 weeks my daughter was born severely anemic. After a few weeks in the NICU she was finally sent home. My second daughter was also affected but by only one of my anti-bodies so she only stayed 3 weeks in the NICU. Then I became pregnant again. At 18 weeks my son was allready severely anemic and had to have a PUBS/transfusion. Then another a week later, followed by two more 2 weeks apart. On the last transfusion, something went wrong and my son was born at 28 weeks. Now he is 34 weeks and he is still having transfusions and of course still in the NICU.

So the moral behind this story...get the shot! I wish that I had been able to get it.

I am so sorry this happened to you mama. Really!! The moral of that story though is educate yourself so you can get the shot it needed. You needed the shot at 11 weeks, and would have been affected by the 28 week one already anyway. It wouldn't have helped. I am so sorry mama. They should have done it.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#101 of 116 Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
#102 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Sorry, the post has been deleted to maintain some privacy.
#103 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Will this be her first pregnancy? If so, it's not an issue..

Even if she has already had a positive baby, with today's technology and monitoring, she and babe would be fine. I have 2 neg and 2 pos children and no sensitization.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#104 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

#105 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
Will this be her first pregnancy? If so, it's not an issue..

Even if she has already had a positive baby, with today's technology and monitoring, she and babe would be fine. I have 2 neg and 2 pos children and no sensitization.
What technology is available for those who become sensitized? Are there still concerns for the safety of future pregnancies?
#106 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma View Post
I would suggest reading Anti-D in Midwifery panacea or Paradox by Sara Wickham.
:

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#107 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 PM

:d

#108 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

#109 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 PM

She could have a test (indirect Coombs) to see if she has Rh antibodies. If not, there will be no issues with Rh during this pregnancy.
#110 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I'm totally confused now : . This whole thread is basically 'screaming' that Rhogam during pregnancy is BAD...
or isn't it?...
Some people argue that but ou will find A LOT of moms who have taken Rhogam here, myself included, who feel they made the best choice for themselves and their family and have no regrets about it. The studies sited are often from older versions of the drug, pre-2001 usually, and both my kids were born since then with mercury free versions of Rhogam.

#111 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I was told by my doctor that the Rhogam is no longer from pooled blood and is now synthetically produced (ie not a blood product). Is this true?
#112 of 116 Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM

If her previous miscarriages were in the first world with medical care, she'll have had rhogam and be fine. It'll be just the same as if the embryos were hers and an Rh + man's.
#113 of 116 Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
She could have a test (indirect Coombs) to see if she has Rh antibodies. If not, there will be no issues with Rh during this pregnancy.
: I did use RhoGam with each of my pregnancies, I can't say that I am 100% comfortable with that choice, but- it's what I chose. Did the mom in question have RhoGam after her miscarriages? I would *assume* she did if she hasn't read anything about it or questioned it. Most people don't argue against using it after birth or miscarriage, the main arguements are against using it while pregnant...

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#114 of 116 Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

#115 of 116 Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
: I did use RhoGam with each of my pregnancies, I can't say that I am 100% comfortable with that choice, but- it's what I chose. Did the mom in question have RhoGam after her miscarriages? I would *assume* she did if she hasn't read anything about it or questioned it. Most people don't argue against using it after birth or miscarriage, the main arguements are against using it while pregnant...
I had a miscarriage and even asked about RhoGham, never got the shot.
That was before I read more about it, so glad it turned out that way, but just wanted to say they don't always give it routinely for m/c.

I think it would be very simple to have the antibodies test done, and it would tell you one way or the other.

#116 of 116 Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Bumping, since this still comes up often.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page