Is it safe to eat during labor?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am happy with almost all of the policys that the hospital I am going to deliver at has, but the "no food in labor" one. I had planned to stay home as long as possible, but will have to have anitbiotics for GBS, so I will have to go in sooner. Could eatting in labor put my child at risk?? I would like to bring some pj&j sandwitches and just sneek eat them, but if this rule is for my childs safety I will not risk it.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#2 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 05:06 AM

It's safe!

"Once upon a time women were discouraged from eating during labor, not for any nutritional reason, but in case the mother needed an emergency general anesthetic. If vomiting occurred under general anesthetic, food in the stomach could be aspirated into the lungs – a potentially fatal situation. Today, except in a true emergency, most women needing a cesarean birth opt for epidural rather than general anesthetic. (If you have a special situation that makes a general anesthetic a high probability, calories and fluids will be given to you intravenously.)" copied from NaturalBeginningsOnline

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well that is just dumb as heck!!!! Thank you so much for the link!

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#4 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 AM

I know there are way better links with a lot more info but that's what I could find quickly!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#5 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 AM

i tried to eat during labor but i was too busy puking
#6 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM

yeah, it's probably safe but you're likely to puke it all back up during transition... I was at the hospital for 16+ hours before labor kicked in (I was GBS+ and my water broke before cx's started) and only ate some apple sauce. I wasn't really hungry though.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#7 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Anything that you can get down/keep down is going to give your uterus "fuel" for all the hard work you're doing!

I was able to keep down non-citrusy juices (mango, white grape, apple) and strawberry popsicles. If you can eat foods higher in protein early in labor, even better (before you start to feel pukey
#8 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's true that many women throw up during transition. However, it's also true that you are less likely to throw up if you have food in your stomach. AND if you have food in your belly, and you DO throw up, you will actually have the satisfaction of PUKING, not just sitting there and heaving repetedly, getting nothing. AND, if they intubate you (which they DO now when you're under a general) properly, you won't aspirate even if you do puke while under a general. It's just what they're used to and they continue to do it to cover their butts...same as all the other garbage they feed mamas who don't have a clue while they're in labor!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#9 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would have it with you and then just see how you feel at the time. Maybe something that isn't sweet in addition to your PB&Js, incase you aren't in the mood for anything sweet.

Me? I ate Reeses Piece's and drank Sprite while sitting in the hospital shower during DS' birth. : I didn't get sick during transition.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
They brought me dinner as my contractions were starting. I wasn't as hungry as normal, but I did eat some beef (don't know what kind it was - it was hospital food! ) and pasta, etc. Just a little bit. I went into transition 2 hours later, and I never felt like puking at all.

(obviously, I was in the hospital before labor started - I was in the antepartum unit, hoping baby would stay in a little longer!)

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#11 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
It's true that many women throw up during transition. However, it's also true that you are less likely to throw up if you have food in your stomach. AND if you have food in your belly, and you DO throw up, you will actually have the satisfaction of PUKING, not just sitting there and heaving repetedly, getting nothing. AND, if they intubate you (which they DO now when you're under a general) properly, you won't aspirate even if you do puke while under a general. It's just what they're used to and they continue to do it to cover their butts...same as all the other garbage they feed mamas who don't have a clue while they're in labor!
Laura,

, to what courtenay_e said above.

#12 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM

I asked one of the anesthesiologists I work with, and they don't really care if a woman eats in labor because a pregnant woman's stomach is never completely empty anyway, and straight stomach acid can actually be more damaging to the lungs than vomit. (they do restrict epidural patients to clear liquids though, but that has mroe to do with the GI tract basically just stopping from the block.)

I do see most women barf in labor though (sometimes in transition, sometimes all the way through), so pick food that won't bug you on the way back up.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page