Which is easier? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
I started having regular, pain-free bms a couple hours after birth, and I was certainly never sitting on the toilet in tears.
And I had two pain free c-section recoveries. Your point?

Obviously we were both not 'typical' in that most c-section moms have at least SOME pain at SOME point during recovery and most moms who have delivered vaginally remember very well (and not for a GOOD reason either) their first attempts at pooping after delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91

As I posted earlier, my recovery from my csection went relatively well. But, my vag births were much easier. If you've had both, you probably agree with me, but maybe not. if you haven't had both, you are only able to imagine what recovery from the other is like, for the most part.
I've never thought of it like that, but you are probably right. Had I delivered vaginally, I would not have hesitated to take whatever pain meds were necessary to deal with the pain, both during labor and after the baby was born.

I will say I have no warm squishy feelings over the thought of dealing with the aftermath of significant tearing, and of course, you have no way of knowing if you'll be the unlucky one. Reading women's stories of painful sex for MONTHS after delivery...well, I'll admit it runs through my mind to be VERY thankful that was never a possibility with c-sections.
#63 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
Hmmm...

There are A LOT of women on this very board that need to be educated in this matter then. I've read a thread on the very subject in the last week or so IIRC that talked all about the horrors of pooping after a significant tear during vaginal delivery.

If you are torn into your rectum, I fail to see how 'eating properly' is going to change the fact that you've got stitches in your rectum.

Even the women on that particular thread that DIDN'T have significant tearing spoke of how awful it was to poop for quite some time. I couldn't help but wonder why they weren't told to take something to PREVENT such problems in the first place, esp the ones who had significant damage down there.

Perhaps some education is called for if all it takes is proper eating though. Who'd have thought that was all that it took to make pooping around a huge tear that's been stitched up was all it took.
I didn't think we were talking about people who had tears. Women who birth naturally and instinctively will most likely not have 4th degree tears. That is something that you are likely to NEVER see in a homebirth. 4th degree tears into the rectum are almost ALWAYS the result of episiotomies.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#64 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
I didn't think we were talking about people who had tears. Women who birth naturally and instinctively will most likely not have 4th degree tears. That is something that you are likely to NEVER see in a homebirth. 4th degree tears into the rectum are almost ALWAYS the result of episiotomies.
I didn't specifically say either way, and from what I've read, it doesn't really matter if you tear or not...pooping afterwards isn't going to be pleasant.

The only moms I know IRL who had 3rd or 4th degree tearing did so *without* having had an episiotomy first, but forceps due to extreme fetal distress (as in the baby's in question were blue and floppy at birth) were a common factor in most of the cases.

Oh, and my neighbor who has homebirthed all six of her kids has had anywhere from no tearing at all to a full 4th degree tear with two of her births. She's just one mother of course, but honestly people around here don't typically homebirth at all, so my real life example pool consists of her and her alone.
#65 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM

I didn't say pooping after childbirth was FUN, but it didn't involve crying on the toilet. Just patience. And certainly, eating lots of fiber and drinking LOTS of water helps.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#66 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM

I birthed at home and had a small peculiar tear that was not stitched. I never had a problem pooping. Didn't even feel uncomfortable.

-Angela
#67 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM

For me, the *thought* of pooping after birth was WAY worse than *actually* pooping after birth.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#68 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
PLEASE don't feel like a wimp!! If you were in pain, you were in pain! There is nothing wrong with that. They DID cut you open, and that typically DOES hurt. Refusing to take adequate post-op pain meds is only going to compound the problem, and really, there is no point in doing so.
If I have another baby, and actually need a c-section (I wonder what a necessary c-section is like...probably a very different emotional state, but probably not any better...I don't know), I won't have any pain medication. If I'd been able to feel the pain better in my first 24 hours, I probably wouldn't have twisted a staple last time - I probably would have healed up properly - I probably wouldn't have spent the next two months coping with an infected incision.

Quote:
You have a big job to do after having a baby. Establishing an on-going BF relationship was critical in my mind, and I cannot imagine trying to do so if I was in horrible pain. And, if you MUST have a c/s, it makes a whole lot more sense to ME to take the pain meds for a few days so you can focus your efforts on more important things...like falling in love with that new baby and making milk for him or her.
I've breastfed all three kids. Pain is pain - it sucks. But, pain in my incision didn't mean I couldn't bf. I can't imagine trying to stand at a stove and sterilize bottles and mix formula post-c/s, so I guess a lot of it is perspective. I basically psyched myself, and refused to admit that formula even existed...if I didn't breastfeed, my babies would starve. Once I had myself in that mindset, the pain wasn't terribly relevant.

I don't find that Tylenol and ibuprofen really touch the c/s pain. The duramorph did, but I'd rather be in ten times the pain than have to cope with the itching. I'm not a martyr - I just think there are worse things than pain. Anyway, for me, the worst thing about the c/s pain is that I can't cry...and after a section, I really, really need to cry.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#69 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Will the narcotics make your baby sleepy? Probably at least a little bit. But my experience has been that even babies born to moms with NO pain meds whatsoever and NO pain meds while BF were still at least a LITTLE sleepy in the first few days after being born. Birth is a big deal for a baby, and it's NORMAL for them to be sleepy after delivery. It's something to keep an eye on, not suffer horrific pain over, or at least that's how I looked at it.
My baby was not sleepy. Seems like most homebirthed babies are a lot more awake than hospital babies.

-Angela
#70 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 03:35 PM

I've never taken stool softeners. But, last time, having learned, I ate a bunch of grapes, peaches & plums after my surgery. I had no problems. I'd never been at the point of crying on the toilet, but I certainly found it something to dread in the initial weeks after my first two surgeries.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#71 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 06:47 PM

I wish my c-section experience was as easy as wifeandmom says hers was.

My first child was a c-section and my second was a drug-free vaginal birth.

The vaginal birth was a lot easier to recover from and a lot less painful overall.

While the contractions are a lot stronger than any pain I had from the c-section, the c-section pain lasted a much longer time.

The afternoon after dd was born, probably 20 hours later, I walked to the bathroom for the first time. I felt like all my organs were going to spill out onto the floor. It was horrid. I took the pain medication they gave me but by 3 hours after I felt like I needed more but had to wait another hour before I could get more vicodin.
Moving around was not easy for weeks. Getting up and down, positioning the nursing pillow, and rolling over in bed were hard for many weeks as well. Getting up at night to feed dd was hard because I didn't know how to side lie at first.

Months and years later I had pain around the incision area that I assume were adhesions.

ds was a home vbac. I was in labor about 26 hours with the last 4ish being the intense part. The burning of pushing hurt but only while he was crowning. That soreness quickly wore off. I was tender for a while but could walk around, sit and do everything else without fear. It burned when I peed almost 2 weeks but that was very temporary and I was able to handle it well. Nothing compared to the recovery from surgery.

I also think a big part of why I recovered so well is that at home I could sleep whenever I wanted and wasn't constantly being messed with like in the hospital when they came in every 2 hours to take vitals.

I'd definitely take another homebirth over c-section.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#72 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:

The afternoon after dd was born, probably 20 hours later, I walked to the bathroom for the first time. I felt like all my organs were going to spill out onto the floor. It was horrid. I took the pain medication they gave me but by 3 hours after I felt like I needed more but had to wait another hour before I could get more vicodin.
Moving around was not easy for weeks. Getting up and down, positioning the nursing pillow, and rolling over in bed were hard for many weeks as well. Getting up at night to feed dd was hard because I didn't know how to side lie at first.
THIS is what I fully expected going into my first section. Even my second one, I figured I had only gotten lucky the first time around. Now with a third upon me in a few months, I am *hoping* to have it as easy as I did both times before, but fully realize there are no guarantees.

The side lying comment reminded me that there was no way I could do that. I propped up on several pillows instead. When I would roll on my side, all that massive amount of skin would shift towards the bed and pull on my incision. Didn't try that one again. I think it didn't help that I had stretched out so much to accomodate nearly 14 pounds of babies in there, so we're talking A LOT of hanging skin there in the beginning. Ack.

Quote:
I also think a big part of why I recovered so well is that at home I could sleep whenever I wanted and wasn't constantly being messed with like in the hospital when they came in every 2 hours to take vitals.
EXACTLY why I was SO SO SO glad they discharged us 24 hours after my section. I freaked a bit at first at the thought of taking two brand new babies home that I was still trying to get the hang of nursing, but the reality was, we rested SO much better at home vs. in the hospital.

I knew that DH was fully capable of knowing if something was wrong with me, and I felt pretty confident in my ability to tell if something wasn't right with either of the babies, so it really worked out well.

With my second, I stayed 48 hours (GBS+ with ruptured membranes prior to section), and boy was I cussing by the end of that second night. It never failed that as soon as I had him nursed, changed, and settled, in would come somebody to do something that of course they thought was vitally important right.that.very.second. Argh. Very frustrating to say the least.

I am hoping to do another 24 hour stay with this section, as it was just a much better overall experience being able to get more rest at home that second night.
#73 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
If I have another baby, and actually need a c-section (I wonder what a necessary c-section is like...probably a very different emotional state, but probably not any better...I don't know), I won't have any pain medication. If I'd been able to feel the pain better in my first 24 hours, I probably wouldn't have twisted a staple last time - I probably would have healed up properly - I probably wouldn't have spent the next two months coping with an infected incision.
Obviously you have to decide what you feel is best for you overall, and you know yourself better than anyone else. I would point out that there are several other options besides staples though. The thought of staples really freaked me out for some silly reason, so I specifically asked for something...anything...else.

The first time I was sewn up til the last layer then had steri-strips. I thought those worked well. But then with my second they sewed me up til the last layer and then used this glue stuff for the last layer. Now THAT was nice and it's what I'll ask for this time too. My incision looks better now than it did after my first section...not that you can actually SEE it without lifting the belly fat...but that's not the point.

Quote:
I've breastfed all three kids. Pain is pain - it sucks. But, pain in my incision didn't mean I couldn't bf. I can't imagine trying to stand at a stove and sterilize bottles and mix formula post-c/s, so I guess a lot of it is perspective. I basically psyched myself, and refused to admit that formula even existed...if I didn't breastfeed, my babies would starve. Once I had myself in that mindset, the pain wasn't terribly relevant.
This was my attitude as well. Come hell or high water, my babies were GOING to nurse. I can only imagine that signifcant pain would make it harder to nurse, if for no other reason than having a baby lying across your belly that is throbbing must be terribly difficult. I know they say that's what the football hold is for, and after a few weeks, I had that down pat, but at first, it was much easier for me to get them to latch on correctly in the typical baby in mom's arms across her middle type position.

I guess my point is that for anyone reading this who might one day find herself dealing with post-op c-section pain and trying to nurse, I'd much rather she take something to ease the pain so nursing wouldn't be so hard, kwim? I knew a girl a few years ago that gave up nursing her first baby because of this very reason, and I always found it incredibly sad that their BF relationship was ruined by pain when it could have been avoided or dealt with.

Quote:
I don't find that Tylenol and ibuprofen really touch the c/s pain. The duramorph did, but I'd rather be in ten times the pain than have to cope with the itching. I'm not a martyr - I just think there are worse things than pain. Anyway, for me, the worst thing about the c/s pain is that I can't cry...and after a section, I really, really need to cry.
Benadryl is your friend! Literally one dose will stop the itching and it's unlikely that you'd need more. It's not a matter of itch/no pain OR no itch/pain. You really CAN have both, and from everything L&D nurses have ever told me, if you can avoid significant pain in those first 24-48 hours, your overall recovery will almost always be much, much, much easier.

Aside from the fact that I just don't care to be in agony if it can be avoided, I truly feel like it's important to take care of YOUR body as well as possible so you can give 100% to your baby. If I'd been doubled over unable to care for my twins at 4 days post-op, I truly do not know what we would have done. DH didn't have a choice but to return to work and the closest family we had was over 600 miles away.
#74 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Well, considering that I was home 4 hours after my natural birth center birth and I was up putting a load of laudry in 2 hours after my homebirth, I would have to go with a NATURAL vaginal. I don't think the same necessarily applies to heavily mangaged vaginal births (drugs, forcepts, vacuum, episiotomy etc...)
I always tell my childbirth students that pain in labor is normal, pain for 6 weeks after giving birth IS NOT NORMAL. It will interefere with bonding and breastfeeding and I can't imagine anyone choosing that.
I'll leave you with a question I often ask of c-section proponents:
Would you ever choose to get your kidney removed on the same day you bring home your adopted child??? LOL
#75 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntengwall
I'll leave you with a question I often ask of c-section proponents:
Would you ever choose to get your kidney removed on the same day you bring home your adopted child??? LOL
What on earth does my kidney have to do with anything?

Your 'anaolgy' has a serious flaw to it.

When you give birth, you either do it vaginally or by c-section. No other way to get the kid out that I'm aware of.

So if you're going to compare having a kidney taken out to having the kid by section, what is the comparison for vaginal delivery?

Maybe...'Would you rather have your kidney taken out OR would you rather pass an 8 pound piece of poop?' That might work...but just leaving it at having the kidney removed totally ignores the fact that delivering vaginally isn't a walk in the park either.
#76 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 07:25 PM

My point was--who would choose to have major surgery (with all it's risks) when they have a newborn to care for. Obviously this comment was meant for elective c-sections for no medical reason.
#77 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntengwall
My point was--who would choose to have major surgery (with all it's risks) when they have a newborn to care for. Obviously this comment was meant for elective c-sections for no medical reason.
Ah, it just seems to me that your analogy doesn't work so well because the other side of having a kidney removed is NOT having a kidney removed. And the other side of a c-section is most certainly NOT doing nothing.
#78 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Benadryl is your friend! Literally one dose will stop the itching and it's unlikely that you'd need more. It's not a matter of itch/no pain OR no itch/pain. You really CAN have both, and from everything L&D nurses have ever told me, if you can avoid significant pain in those first 24-48 hours, your overall recovery will almost always be much, much, much easier.
Off topic, sort of, but Benedryl is an antihistamine....antihistamines dry up body fluids....breast milk is a body fluid. I found this out the hard way when I was rushed to the ER for a mold allergy and given one dose of Benedryl via IV. DS1 was only 4 months old.
#79 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Obviously you have to decide what you feel is best for you overall, and you know yourself better than anyone else. I would point out that there are several other options besides staples though. The thought of staples really freaked me out for some silly reason, so I specifically asked for something...anything...else.

The first time I was sewn up til the last layer then had steri-strips. I thought those worked well. But then with my second they sewed me up til the last layer and then used this glue stuff for the last layer. Now THAT was nice and it's what I'll ask for this time too. My incision looks better now than it did after my first section...not that you can actually SEE it without lifting the belly fat...but that's not the point.
Staples don't really bother me. I'd rather have staples, if that's what the surgeon's used to, than be sewn up by someone who isn't used to doing it. My point is that the drugs they gave me masked signals from my body. Those signals were trying to tell me something, and I couldn't hear it.

I've heard conflicting reports about the glue. Some people love it, but someone hear had a really bad allergic reaction to it, and someone else had it just...fail on part of her incision. Yuck.

Quote:
This was my attitude as well. Come hell or high water, my babies were GOING to nurse. I can only imagine that signifcant pain would make it harder to nurse, if for no other reason than having a baby lying across your belly that is throbbing must be terribly difficult. I know they say that's what the football hold is for, and after a few weeks, I had that down pat, but at first, it was much easier for me to get them to latch on correctly in the typical baby in mom's arms across her middle type position.
I found the football hold absolutely impossible. I never even tried it with dd or ds2, because it just plain didn't work for me. Side-lying was awful, as well. The only one that worked was holding the baby on my belly, which is what everyone thinks would be terrible.

Quote:
Doesn't Benadryl dry up breastmilk? I've been warned off that kind of drug more than once as a breastfeeding mom. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to take a chance like that with dd, as I was having a lot of trouble getting my supply established, anyway. Pain relief just isn't that big an issue for me. I don't want the surgery in the first place...how much it hurts isn't really the point...the damage is the point.

Quote:
Aside from the fact that I just don't care to be in agony if it can be avoided, I truly feel like it's important to take care of YOUR body as well as possible so you can give 100% to your baby. If I'd been doubled over unable to care for my twins at 4 days post-op, I truly do not know what we would have done. DH didn't have a choice but to return to work and the closest family we had was over 600 miles away.
If I were doubled over, I'd just do my best. I got stuck on my couch at 6 days post-op, unable to get up. Fortunately, I had him in my lap to nurse, so it was a diaper change, not a feeding, that was delayed. It had nothing to do with pain, though. I simply couldn't stand up. We were stuck there for almost 30 minutes. Pain wasn't relevant. What was relevant was that I'd had surgery, and could not stand up. I can't give 100% post-op, because I'm not 100%...and it's not about pain. I don't see pain management as taking care of my body. Taking care of my body is about healing the damage that's been done - not about masking it under drugs, so that I do more than I should.

I hate pain medication...absolutely hate it. You're talking to someone who gets dental caries filled without freezing, because I'd far rather be in pain than have my mouth frozen. The drugs suck worse than the pain does.

#80 of 141 Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM

"Maybe...'Would you rather have your kidney taken out OR would you rather pass an 8 pound piece of poop?' That might work...but just leaving it at having the kidney removed totally ignores the fact that delivering vaginally isn't a walk in the park either."

I'm not saying that delivering vaginally isn't hard work--although my birth center birth and my homebirth were almost pain-free except for transition (and I had a 10 lb 4 oz baby!). My point is that afterwards (unless you have had unusual tearing) you feel great. I was barely even sore after my 10 lber. Very different from having a 6 inch long incision and major abdominal surgery.
#81 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 AM

I've had both, and while the vaginal delivery was hardly easy, it was light years better than the recovery from my c-section.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#82 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 11:30 AM

I've had 2 c-sections, neither planned, and a medicalized VBAC in between. Mentally, the VBAC was awesome. Loved it. If by some miracle I have another child, I'll be pushing for a VBA2C. (no pun intended )

But physically? My second section was easiest. I was up and walking short distances (like to the bathroom) in just a few hours, and longer distances and up and down stairs in less than a week. I only took the pain pills for about a week. Could have been less I'm sure if it had been a scheduled deal, but the little bugger had decided to turn transverse after 17 hours of labor, and with my pre-e, noone was really willing to wait and see if he'd turn back.

Now I'm sure a natural vaginal birth with little or no tearing would be easier still, but my VBAC didn't go that way. I can't say for sure if it was strictly necessary, but they were in a big hurry to get dd out (and she did take quite a bit of time to get breathing and pink up, so who knows), so I pushed her out in less than 10 min, no time for her bowling ball of a head to mold, so I ended up with a huge episiotomy. That sucker hurt alllllll the time for weeks. At least with my sections, I could help the pain by sitting or lying down. But there was no comfortable positions at all with a billion stitches in my yoni.
#83 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennialMom
Off topic, sort of, but Benedryl is an antihistamine....antihistamines dry up body fluids....breast milk is a body fluid. I found this out the hard way when I was rushed to the ER for a mold allergy and given one dose of Benedryl via IV. DS1 was only 4 months old.
This is true, and must be kept in mind as a con to taking something for the itching. Just as the Duramorph is a long acting narcotic that will pass through your breastmilk and the narcotics I took after the Duramorph wore off, it's a matter of deciding if the risk is worth the benefit. Phenergran (sp?) is also an anti-histamine that has the side effect of relieving nausea, so that is another commonly used drug that moms should be aware of the possible consequences when taking it.

Considering I had enough milk to feed the entire neighborhood both times, that one dose of Benadryl within hours of my sections simply didn't faze my over-abundant supply.
#84 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Considering I had enough milk to feed the entire neighborhood both times, that one dose of Benadryl within hours of my sections simply didn't faze my over-abundant supply.
I might have been okay with it with ds2, then. With dd, when the itching was actually even worse, I'd have been furious if someone had suggested Benadryl, but without a warning about my milk. It took days for any kind of supply to come in as it was. DD's the only one of my children who ever got formula with my knowledge and consent...the poor little thing was starving, no matter how often I put her to the breast, nothing was being produced.

I honestly think that if a doctor ever again tries to tell me about the "benefits" of having a section without labour, I'll smack him/her. I suppose it could be a coincidence that dd is the only one of my babies to have had breathing problems and nursing problems, but I really don'tt hink so.

#85 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 07:40 PM

For the itching related to narcotics like Duramorph (although all narcotics can cause it in folks who are susceptible) Benadryl is a possible choice, but it does cause pretty significant sedation in a lot of folks, as well as possibly affect milk supply (which is more of a problem after the mature milk comes in than before.)
Another option is Nubain, a narcotic agonist/antagonist which usually takes the itching away without as much sedation. This is what our anesthesiologists use.

I agree that you can't really make a prediction that will hold true for every person. I attend a lot of births, though, and in general, the vaginal birth moms are a lot more comfortable post birth. It is absolutely not routine for the vaginal birth moms I attend to need a narcotic after birth. Nor do I routinely see any problem with pooping after birth. I routinely leave an order for ibuprofen, and many of the second and higher times moms take it for cramping. A lot of the first time moms I attend don't take anything at all. I am not stingy with pain meds, though. If someone is hurting, I want to make them better if at all possible - it's just that I don't really see women having that much pain after a normal vaginal birth. We also are very good about non-medical pain relief at my hospital, for delivered moms, and they can do things like soak in a whirlpool bath, use a traditional sitz bath, have a heating pad, a nurse to rub their back, etc, and many moms use at least one non-medical method of pain relief, too. Almost never do I have someone go home on a narcotic, and only sometimes on the ibuprofen.

To give you an idea what sorts of births I attend, in my practice, of moms who birth vaginally, I attend about 30% moms who have an epidural, about 50% that have an IV narcotic once during labor, and about 20% who have a pain-med free birth. I do not routinely do episiotomies (my rate hovers at around 2%, or generally about 1 mom out of 50, only for real fetal distress and a true need to shorten labor) I have about a 3-5% vacuum assisted delivery rate, and about 40% of first time moms and much less repeat moms with some stitches for tearing. I have yet to see a spontaneous 4th degree tear in about 200 births since I started practicing. I have had a few partial 3rd degree tears, usually associated with persistend posterior babes and prolonged pushing. Most women who I attend birth their babies either squatting, in hands and knees, or side-lying, with some on their backs, and I don't do any pushing coaching other than things like "Oh, look we can see the hair!"

Most of the cesarean birth moms I take care of have either duramorph post-spinal, or an epidural catheter in place for the first 24 hours. They are up and moving within a few hours after birth, and we get everyone up to shower the next day. 24 hours after birth, the epidural, foley catheter, IV, etc are all removed and most moms take oral narcotic combinations (like Vicodin) pretty routinely. Most go home with about 30-40 Tylenol #3 or Vicodin and I usually see moms taking them for the first 1-2 weeks. Most cesarean moms in the hospital are needing help to get up for the first 2-3 days. The more they move in the first day or so, the less trouble we see with gas pains which can be as bad as the surgery pain it seems.

So, who knows what someone's individual experience will be like, but in general that's what I see.

My own 4 vaginal births were fairly easy recoveries. My first I had an (unnecessary) episiotomy and had pain the first few weeks because of that, but not enough that I even took oral pain meds. The other 3, I felt wonderful post birth, and with all 4 I honestly remember the first few days after birth to be the best I have ever felt - from the endorphin high, no doubt! All 4 of mine were unmedicated, spontaneous labors and births (the second an accidental UC after a very short active labor.) After 4 babies, I also have no lasting problems like incontinence, pain, numbness, problems with sex, etc, except for some stretch marks!
#86 of 141 Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Blech. Duramorph, for the pain (which is a side effect of surgery), then more drugs for the duramorph, which can either muck up my milk or sedate me (which I hate). And, my doctors wonder why I hate having c-sections. I think part of the problem is that there's this attitude that if something is hidden by medication, it doesn't exist..."you're not in pain - you have duramorph". I don't see it that way.

I want to have another baby, but it sucks to know that if my doctors have their way, I won't be able to look after it.

doctorjen - I wish you worked around here!

#87 of 141 Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 AM

I was given morphine in an IV just after my section, but not for long. The itching was TERRIBLE. It's the second time I've had morphine and both times I itched from head to toe uncontrollably.
then when I was sent home they put latex tape on my incision, even though I'd probably told them 12 times in two days I'm allergic, it's on my chart, I asked about the tape specifically, etc... I literally cried the itching was so bad and they kept saying, "It's normal for your scar to itch". I finally went to a doctor to said it was okay to take it off (they'd originally told me 12-14 days) and instantly the itching was relieved. :

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#88 of 141 Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 AM

[. Birth itself was simply a way to get a baby out of me alive. How that happened truly didn't matter, I just wanted LIVE babies.

:

Are you insenuating(sp?) that ceserean birth is more likely to produce LIVE babies than vaginal birth?:
#89 of 141 Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=wifeandmom]Hmmm...

There are A LOT of women on this very board that need to be educated in this matter then. I've read a thread on the very subject in the last week or so IIRC that talked all about the horrors of pooping after a significant tear during vaginal delivery.

i take offense to this. where did you read this thread? were these women birthing naturally at home with no drugs? were they given routine episiotomies? were they standing up???
where did you read this?
#90 of 141 Old 08-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
[. Birth itself was simply a way to get a baby out of me alive. How that happened truly didn't matter, I just wanted LIVE babies.

:

Are you insenuating(sp?) that ceserean birth is more likely to produce LIVE babies than vaginal birth?:
In *some* cases, c-sections *absolutely* are more likely to produce LIVE babies. Heck, in *some* cases, a section is the ONLY reason that baby comes out alive.

Are you suggesting otherwise? :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page