twin/septate vagina and uterus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Reading Spiritual Midwifery - what does a twin uterus and vagina look like? Are there 2 entrances to the 2 vaginas? When that woman has sex, does her dh get to pick which vagina he enters? Wondering how this works.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.agacamp.com/jsp/family/sa...6_07_02_05.gif

and

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...tract/11/1/218

Would seem to imply that there is a membrane dividing the vagina rather than two separate vaginas. My guess, is that either there's no real difference during sex or that sex is incredibly painful.
#3 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 02:31 PM

I had a friend with two uteruses (hee, did you know the plural can be uteruses or uteri?) but I don't know about vaginas... She has had pregnancies in each of them. At least 4 kids I think (she moved and we haven't kept in touch but last I heard she'd had 4)
#4 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Two uteri, two cevices and a septum in the vagina is the most extreme form of uterus didelphys. Its a mullerian duct problem and occurs in the womb when the two 'sides' of the internal organs come together incompletely. Other forms such as septate uterus or bicornuate uterus produce different kinds of uterine shapes.

This condition and variants of it run in my Dhs family.
#5 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 10:49 PM

My mw knew someone who had to use birth control through pregnancy because of this. She had had babies on both sides. I also read about a woman with this who also had babies from both sides, although many more on the one side because for some reason she ah... liked it more on that side
#6 of 16 Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM

i have a friend with two uteri and she says it is hell. double periods!
#7 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 AM

I do know that women who's mothers took Diethylstilbestrol (DES) to prevent miscarriage in the 60's are more apt to have this condition. I have a slightly bicornuate uterus (have a slight septum, giving my uterus that "heart shaped" look...) and although my mother did not take DES, her mother did. Which is interesting. I had no problem carrying or birthing a baby, but then again I have a really mild form of it.
#8 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 01:22 AM

I know a lady with two uteruses (uteri?), two cervixes and four ovaries. She has a membrane in her vagina.

I being uber curious asked her about a million questions. She said it's not noticable during sex, by either her or her partner.

She hadn't even known about any of it until she was pregnant went in for her first US.
Even DR who had given her paps in the past hadn't picked up on it.

There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen~
#9 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 AM

I have given birth twice, but never had an US. Could I have two?? How do ya know??

I first heard of this when I read Spiritual Midwifery, too. I must admit, it seemed surprising.
#10 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM

I think they can only be diagnosed by ultrasound. Mine was picked up way before pregnancy due to having an ultrasound for another problem. I'm sure many women go undiagnosed, but if you do have one and it's not causing pregnancy/birth problems, there is no need to worry about it.
#11 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 03:36 PM

This is so interesting. I recently took care of the baby of a mother who had this, two uteruses and two vaginas. I had so many questions but never got to know her well enough to ask them.
Quote:
My mw knew someone who had to use birth control through pregnancy because of this.
I don't think you would have to worry about birth control while pregnant in one uterus, the hormones that suppress ovulation during pregnancy would also effect the ovaries of the unpregnant uterus, wouldn't they?

Quote:
i have a friend with two uteri and she says it is hell. double periods!
Wouldn't the periods always be at the same time for hormonal reasons? But I guess if you used tampons you would need to worry about plugging up both holes.

So very interesting.
#12 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't know, my mw said the lady could have conceived 3 months apart, but I didn't exactly ask for all the details.
#13 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Wouldn't the periods always be at the same time for hormonal reasons? But I guess if you used tampons you would need to worry about plugging up both holes.

she doesn't have two vaginas, just two uteri (i'm not sure about her ovaries). she has much heavier cramping and bleeding than normal though.
#14 of 16 Old 06-29-2006, 12:09 AM

Wow. I remember reading this in Spiritual Midwifery but didn't really think about it.

My DH's ex girlfriend had major issues with a pregnancy when they were together, she had bicornuate uterus, and I guess I never knew what it meant. The baby ended up being stillborn. I'm not exactly sure why because DH was so young he didn't ask details.
#15 of 16 Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 PM

I found a picture of a bicornuate uterus. (Warning: this is a medical photo. If you don't like seeing body parts that are not inside people, don't click)
#16 of 16 Old 07-02-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothragirl

she doesn't have two vaginas, just two uteri (i'm not sure about her ovaries). she has much heavier cramping and bleeding than normal though.
oh, the girl I met has two actual vaginas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page