What were you doing when your waters broke? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 07-12-2006, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It broke with my first during labor, at about 4 or 5 cm, while I was peeing. With my second, it was 11:30 at night and I was sleeping. The pop sensation was enough to wake me, and I headed quickly into the bathroom. Thankfully it was just a little trickle and not a gush. Contractions started at 5:00 am and she was here by 8:00.
#32 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 AM

While pushing with 2 of my babes, while lying in bed watching tv with one of them (prior to labor by about 10-15 minutes), and just after peeing but while still sitting on the toilet (also prior to labor by about 45 min).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#33 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM

Pushing, both times. My water only broke when I was fully dialated and starting to push.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#34 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM

I was in bed asleep at one a.m. I had a cramp, nothing major and got up to pee. It took me about fifteen minutes to figure out that it was my water. I was one of those lucky women who leaked urine during the pregnancy and at first I just thought that my dd was pushing on my bladder harder than usual. It wasn't until it kept going and I had a little bloody show that it dawned on me
#35 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM

First time, I have no idea, I was disconnected from the birth, but I assume it was while I was pushing.

Second time, after I had gone to the bathroom and just gotten back into bed. I heard a "pop" then had a little trickle.

Third, again don't know as I was in the water before pushing, so it might have happened then, and didn't have a lot of fluid with the birth.

Fourth, with a lovely gush while pushing!
#36 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM

I was laying on a hospital bed while a doctor I had never met in my life fiddled around with an amniohook trying his damndest to break my water. It didn't want to break! I asked him "What are you doing you said this wouldn't hurt" and was rather miffed at the whole thing. But my labor had pretty much stopped at that point and "something needed to be done". I am excited to see what will happen with this baby. We're having a home birth, so no one will be breaking my water or anything like that. I have this fantasy of my water breaking all over the place just as the baby comes out. I have no idea why, but I think that's what will happen.
#37 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 02:01 PM

#1-AROM at 2cm by an idiotic ob. :

#2-broken during pushing by my midwife to avoid a huge splash in the face (I was on a birthing stool) . I was fine with it at that point.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#38 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
#1-AROM at 2cm by an idiotic ob. :
#39 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 03:29 PM

#1 - Sitting on the bed watching tv
#2 - AROM
#3 - AROM
#4 - Sitting at the computer
#5 - Born in the Caul
#6 - Laying in bed in the middle of the night

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#40 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 03:49 PM

#1 - I was 37 weeks and 2 days. It was 10 minutes after midnight and I got out of bed because I wondered "why the heck my back keeps hurting every 5 minutes?" (Duh - those are called contractions!!!) and GUSH! I was home alone and just kept saying "Oh! Oh! Oh!" and called DH. (He worked midnight shift then.) Went to the hospital and was 7 cm dilated with a foot hanging out...so off for a c/s I went.

#2 - I was 37 weeks and 2 days. It was 10 minutes after midnight - notice a pattern here? - and thought I may be in early labor and had just asked DH if he had his clothes ready in case we needed to go to the hospital. He said yep and I felt a pop and thought, hmmmm, that was odd, the about 5 seconds later...GUSH - all over my bed. DS# 2 was born 5 hours later-VBAC.

#3 - After 18 hours of nasty, hard ,constant contractions and no dilitation past 3 cm's, I agreed to AROM. (I thought your labors got shorter with each baby? Someone forgot to tell DD that! ) Light meconium. VBAC 9 hours later.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#41 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM

#1 - water broke during pushing
#2 - water broke during pushing
#3 - born in the caul (home waterbirth, midwife broke the sac after dd's head was born and before bringing her up to the surface)
#42 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM

#1: Preterm birth, AROM at 5cm, DD1 born 2 hrs later

#2: I was laying in the hospital bed at 40 weeks, 3 cm dilated, waiting to be induced, but baby decided it was time for her to come without the interventions & pop, my water broke before they had a chance to give me any pit, woo hoo, DD2 born 7 hrs later

#3: c/s

#4: on the way, any day, so scared my water will break while I am out shopping!
#43 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Contractions started at 4 am, went back to bed at 5, woke up at 6 with a strong contraction and felt I had to pee - and my water broke as I sat up in bed.
#44 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 05:07 PM

Pushing, all 3 times.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#45 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM

#1: 3 days over, woke at 2:00am with mild contractions. 45 min later <i felt a pop and then some amount of water between my legs (more than a trickle, less than a gush.) I felt it, then smelled it, then tasted it (well, I wanted to be sure I hadn't peed in bed!).
Fast forward 24 or so hours, getting my first internal, mw said my waters hadn't broken, and I was still only one cm, despite the very painful cntractions. I was shocked on both accounts. Fast forward another 14 hours, still at 1-2cm, mw #4 AROM. Another 12 hours c/s. (after the 6 hours full pit and epi)

#2: will be hb in birthing tub. It is my way or the highway. No one is going to touch my waters, or do any sort of induction for ANY reason. It' will all be my way, in how/what/where and when I am comfortable and confident. Anything less than that will be a c-section, which I don't mind if there is a valid reason for it. No middle ground.
#46 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Baby #1 - midnight, after getting up to pee, I sat down in bed again and POP!
Baby #2 - felt funny, laid down on the couch to call my husband and POP! Luckily I had just finished folding a pile of towels on the end of the couch!!
Baby #3 - TBA, but I'd be shocked NOT to have my water break first!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#47 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 PM

I was just hitting the snooze button before i had to wake my hubby up for work. I felt my baby push downward a tad, then felt a trickle. My amniotic fluid had been low, and I thought to myself "well, now we know I have a leak." Then, a second later "GUSH" and I flew out of bed hollering "It's on!", as I gushed all over the floor, LoL. Sadly, the fluid was thick with meconium, and after a few hours of my contractions not causing me to progress sufficiently, my midwife said she had to either give me pitocin or she would resign from my case (turning me over to a doctor for a probable c-section).

I ended up having at least half of the interventions I feared; pitocin, hooked up to monitors, IV, eventually a shot of nubaine because the pitocin contractions made me want to die and since I was hooked up to every contraption known to man, few of my pain coping techniques were available to me. I was very sad at my birth, but I had not researched meconium-in-the-fluid- situations at all, so I had no idea what to expect when it happened to us.
#48 of 57 Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 PM

My water broke in the birth pool when I was completely dilated and started to push.
#49 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 AM

With my first I had AROM, but with my second my water broke while I was pushing
#50 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 PM

With my first baby, my midwife broke my water when I was about 7 cm. dialted. With my second baby, my water broke while I was in the shower and then labor started about 45 mins. later.

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)
#51 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 PM

With my third baby I was talking to my mom (on the phone) about prepartions for New Years day. So I say, "Oh well who knows I may be busy that day....ya know having the baby." To which she answers really like a smart aleck, " Oh puhlease... it isn't like anything is going on yet" <SPLASH> I look down and I am now standing in a puddle in front of the kitchen sink trying not to burst out laughing I say, "Umm.... yeah.. you're right, nothing much happening here...I will...umm. talk to you later about what we will bring." I got off the phone and laughed so hard I probably splashed out another bucket load.
It was if on cue.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#52 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 08:30 PM

My first's bag was AROM.

With my second it was 2 weeks before my EDD and I was partaking in my nightly insomnia-fest from 4:00-6:30 where I would lay in bed and watch two episodes of Family Ties and I Love Lucy. I was laying there (or is it lying?) contracting away in total denial just thinking I was having some big Braxton-Hicks as I had been having for two days (um, duh) when I felt and heard a "splop!" I had had a pulling contraction (still thinking it was BH... after, what? 3 years of midwifery training?) and felt a tiny explosion in my stomach.

I jumped out of bed (not easy when you weigh 160 pounds) and had the biggest adrenaline rush. Nothing came out so despite my knowledge that often the head blocks the flow I decided it was gas and tried to go back to bed. Dh woke up from sleeping in the other room just from the mental energy I was giving off in the bedroom. I told him to go back to sleep and he looked at me like I was nuts.

It took about 2 hours for me to finally believe it. She was born 10 hours later in a fishy pool in my room.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#53 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 PM

The first time my water was broken by AROM about 9 hours into my cytotec induction : when I was 3 cm. DS was born 7 hours and a pit drip later. Not what I was hoping for at all.

The second time, a lovely homebirth, my water broke right after I began seriously pushing. My MW got soaked! DD came out with the next contraction. It was perfect!
#54 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 PM

First time, I was already at the hospital.

With Catie, I was at the playground with my best friend and all of our kids.

Jennifer
#55 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM

active labour, about 30 minutes before the birth. I was in the bathtub on my knees and felt a little gush that I knew wasnt the shower water.
#56 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 PM

#1 Standing in my front yard, talking to a friend. Baby wasn't born until 31 hours later.
#2 Just before pushing urge began
#3 Just before pushing urge began
#57 of 57 Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 PM

I was sleeping and woke up to a big gush about 1am. For some reason, I thought I'd peed myself but the leaking never stopped, so it was clearly my water breaking. It didn't gush after the initial breaking, but it was more of a slow leak afterwards.

Kathy

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page