So if it came down to it, induction or c-section? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger
Would the method of induction also be something to consider? I understand Cytotec is still used in some parts of the U.S., and I think it's much riskier than Pitocin.
No cyotec for me, only approved drugs...I'm not crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Much less risk with induction than C-section in my opinion, the greatest being infection. Of course, there are a myriad of problems associated with both, and anyone concerned with them should read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth to find these out.
#33 of 51 Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 PM

Inductions have unseen consequences on mother and baby, and they should not be recommended routinely, though---let's keep that in mind. Mom's oxytocin is good for babies, not oxytocin from horses and goats, super-concentrated and compressing baby from all sides, effectively preventing him/her from getting much needed oxygen and impeding normal contractions, which work like a wave from the top of the uterus and move gradually to the bottom. Other potential risks include increase of autism in some babies and brain damage, to include hemorrhaging of the baby's body.
C-sections have more problems than induction, including massive infection, intra-abdominal tumors from scar tissue (formed later in life), and the list goes on. The consequences of our choices go far beyond the delivery room, ladies---they extend to our lives and our babies' lives.
Send me a private message if any of you gals want more info on the risks of these procedures, or simply read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Induction

Because most inductions DO go relatively OK, if they're handled well. Labour is good for babies.

C-section is c-section.

To me it's like cutting an episiotomy - you're guaranteed surgery and no good bugs, no squeezing, no labour stress, and if you're unlucky you get other complications as well (like an episiotomy gives you 2nd degree cut, with 4th if you're unlucky, as opposed to maybe not even tearing)
#34 of 51 Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Funny that no one has mentioned acapuncture for inductions. Dh is a family doc who does acapuncture, and it's worked every time he's done it. The even funnier thing is that he is not a huge "natural" person. He is very much into scientific, evidence-based medicine. He mainly uses acapuncture for pain control, but has tried it a few times when the patient really didn't want Pit. He's still not convinced that it would work in every situation, but so far it has. My doctor, who works with dh is much more natural than he is, and she was very excited when I told her that if I had to be induced I wanted a trial of acapuncture first. And, if I would go to 40 weeks even if I didn't really "need" it, I think I will be begging him to bring the needles home LOL!
#35 of 51 Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Induction- it's better for the baby long-term.

BUT it would have to be a major reason, not just you're 42 weeks.

-Angela
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger
It's a great question.
As much as it galls me to ever recommend a non-emergency C-section, I think it might be better than an induction in many cases. I've coached so many women who endured long, unproductive labours on Pit which ended up as sections anyway.
If the pregnant woman is about ready to start labour anyway, and the induction is likely to work effectively, it might be preferable. In the many cases where a woman is induced at 40 weeks or with no sign of being 'ripe', why put her *and* her baby through all that when they'll probably end up with surgery anyway? Not that either of those options is ideal, but sometimes that's the choice a woman is faced with.
Ju,

I'm in the middle of and of what Angela mamabadger said to you above.
#36 of 51 Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM

i'd chose induction. i am deathly afraid of surgery.
#37 of 51 Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 PM

Induction any day. Labor and vaginal birth are better for the baby and the mom.
#38 of 51 Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unless I or my baby was dying, there is no way in hell I would ever opt for a c section. Ever.
#39 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 AM

As October16mom (is that a due date or a birthdate, btw?) said, I'd try an aggressive combination of reflexology/acupuncture and herbs combined with AROM.
I had, however, always said that in a true crisis I'd go for caesarean rather than induction and I think that still holds true. If I've actually made the decision that baby needs out now (which is a pretty drastic decision for me to make) it's likely to be very very drastic.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#40 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 AM

Obviously, if the baby needed to be out immediately, I'd get a c-section.

If the baby needed to be out soon, I'd rather induce than go straight to a c-section. I highly value vaginal birth as being emotionally/psychologically/etc. best for mom and baby, I think it's much safer physically, and I value the baby being put to the breast immediately after birth and maintaining constant contact(which, at least around here, I have yet to hear of as being allowed).
#41 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 AM

C-section. I have it in my medical records that I will never consent to receive a drop of pitocin again during labor under any circumstances--it threw Ryland into distress almost instantly due to cord compression and oxygen deprivation and we lost him. It threw Brandon in distress during my labor with him as well (and although that God he survived, he now has SID, a corrected expressive language regression, social & behavioral delays, and is being tested for autism.).

That drug is evil and it will never come near me again. It's definately not the "safe" drug every doctor claims it is and I can't believe it's routine to use it. In the event that a medical condition warrants an augmented or induced delivery, it will be via c-section.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#42 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM

If the baby REALLY needed out, a c/s. For starters, I've already had a c/s and induction is a big no-no in terms of raising the rupture risk. Second, I've been burned. My first c/s was after two days of prodromal labor followed by two useless days on pit. The IV, the being chained to the monitor, the night before on the cervidil, the pit contractions-- pure hell, and all for nothing, since I ended up being cut anyway.

If I absolutely HAD to choose one or the other, at least with a scheduled c/s there wouldn't be the sham of "trying" labor. And I'd get to have more control over more aspects of what I view as the inevitable surgery, such as insisting that my husband be allowed while the anesthesia is administered, having a mirror, delaying neonatal routines so I could hold the baby, things like that.

And more importantly, if the baby REALLY needed out ostensibly there would be no time for an induction. If it wasn't enough of an issue for a c/s, then it could wait until I went into labor spontaneously.
#43 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Ally- I've seen a couple of moms mention that when their kids have been tested for such delays that they have been asked what drugs were used in labor. I had Pitocin and Nubain during my first labor and I'm wondering if Ellie has some delays... nothing easily pinpointed of course.
#44 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Ally- I've seen a couple of moms mention that when their kids have been tested for such delays that they have been asked what drugs were used in labor. I had Pitocin and Nubain during my first labor and I'm wondering if Ellie has some delays... nothing easily pinpointed of course.
Not only drugs, but also forceps and vacuums... I just got done filling out the 50 page questionnaire to get Brandon on the waiting list for an autism eval. and one page asked about labor/delivery, the types of drugs used, and whether they required forceps/vacuum extractions.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#45 of 51 Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM

I would go for an induction ....(but research the drug they use first, since my ds's lab or was induced with cervadil...and i nearly had a uterine rupture because of it). I would much rather have an induction since i've been through one, than have a c/s.
#46 of 51 Old 07-28-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
In the many cases where a woman is induced at 40 weeks or with no sign of being 'ripe', why put her *and* her baby through all that when they'll probably end up with surgery anyway?
because "putting" them through that is actually better for them than a c-section is. Also I think not having signs of being "ripe" is a crock. I had a post dates induction where I was not dilated or effaced at all and it was successful. Sure chances are lower if the bishop score is low but still very possible. I'll never never understand the whole "why go through an induction when you might have to get a c-sec anyway". Why not just extend that farther...why go throught the last 2 weeks of pregnancy?? Having a c-section after TOL is better for the baby.
#47 of 51 Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 AM

Interesting. I don't think I've read very much about drugs in labor and increased risk of autism, etc. In fact, of the three the people i know closely with children having autism or SID, two of them were completely drug-free births. The third one did have some drugs involved but the child is not confirmed to have either autism or SID, its just suspected. Hmm... Interesting correlation. I learned something today

Namaste, Tara
#48 of 51 Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Induction. I've had both in one birth and I would choose an induction any day to going under the knife w/o a trial of labor.
#49 of 51 Old 07-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky
No cyotec for me, only approved drugs...I'm not crazy!
Oooh good point. Are there any drugs that have been approved specifically for labor induction?
#50 of 51 Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 PM

Well, I was faced with this question last pregnancy, threatened with c-section if I didn't let the doctor induce (because of "big baby" and "going over due" and "possible problems of going overdue"). I refused both, and ds was just fine a few days after the 42 week mark.

Now, if there were a situation where my baby was in serious, dire trouble, and needed to be out yesterday!! I would go for the c-section. I wouldn't take the decision lightly, but if the baby were so fragile that every moment counted, I can't imagine putting the poor thing through pit labor and the hieghtened stress from it's mama. However, if the doctor gave me a choice, I'd choose neither, because that would mean he thought the baby and I could cope with labor. In which case, I'd let nature take it's course.
#51 of 51 Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM

I would do an induction. I would try not to get the epidural either, if you can. I have gone through two induced labors without pain meds, it is possible Granted it sucks, but it is possible.
The reason I would do the induction, even if I didnt think it would work, is because it is better for the baby to go through labor. Cesarean babies that have been through a trial of labor do better than those who havent. Now, for me, I am 99% sure that the induction would work anyway (again, I have had two inductions and two babies after that too, so I am sure it would work well for me) but even if I didnt think it would work, I would still do it for my baby's sake. It would have to be a REALLY good reason though.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page