All children by C-section tribe )_( - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1132 Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't tell you how wonderful it is to find a group of women who really get how I have felt about my children's births.

I've had 3 sections, the first unplanned, and the hardest to deal with. I labored (induced, flat on my back, water broken without my permission) for 14 hours, c-section due to FTP and severe decel's in my daughter's heartrate during ctx. Immediately after she was born, the anesthetist gave me a medication called Versed which causes amnesia, so I have almost no memories at all of her birth, and didn't get to hold her until about 4 hours later. It took me 2 years before I could think about her birth without crying, and even now it makes me so sad.

My doctor told me after my daughter was born that I have extraordinarily large bones spurs in my pelvis that prevented my daughter from engaging, and made it impossible for me to have a vaginal birth. I spent the next few months in denial. I just knew he was wrong, I wanted to get pregnant again immediately so I could "do it right". I had horrible postpartum depression that I attribute at least in part to the c-section. I didn't bond with her for a long time and I wanted to put her up for adoption, because I didn't feel like her mother, and I wanted her to be with someone who could be a real mommy.

My sons births, both planned sections, were better, but still not anything that I feel good about. I still feel that I have never given birth. My children were born but I wasn't involved. And I am so bloody tired of everyone telling me "you should be grateful that you have 3 healthy children, no matter how they got here." I am grateful that I have these beautiful babies but that does NOT mean that I have to be happy about the way they were born.

Anyway, sorry this is so long and rambling. It's just the first time I've found somewhere to talk about this where I know I won't be looked down on about it. Thanks to the OP for starting this!
#302 of 1132 Old 12-14-2006, 02:25 PM

I had both babies via c-section.

With ds, I was induced at 41 weeks. I was in labor for 45 hours, including two hours of pushing. I had an epidural. They weren't really helpful in telling me how to push and because of my epidural, I couldn't feel it. DS refused to crown and apparently was coming out with the "wrong" part of his head. (I was 17 and placing baby for adoption, so they were very limited with the amount of information they gave me! They decided to go ahead with a c-section. I only had my epidural, so I got to hear his first cry. The surgery was awful, horrible, and terrible. My c-section scar was done a tad below the hair line, but they effed up. There are like 3 pubic hairs growing out of it, and they sewed it where a nerve is too close to the skin or something. Anytime something lightly brushes against it, I react strongly! It hurt very often, and had that itch that couldn't be scratched because it was internal. DS was born 9 days late at 8lbs 11 oz.

With dd, I went into labor on my own 6 days past my due date. I labored at home until I just couldn't take it anymore and wanted to go into the hospital. When I finally got there, they checked me and I was at 7 cm!! I got an epidural right away. (In retrospect, if I had someone to help me labor--my mom was at home moving and I was single--I might have been able to make it longer.) After a little while, they came in and checked me. I only had a lip left. They broke my water, and my cervix "unstretched" back to a 7. My mom got there a few minutes later. I rested for a while. Then dd's heart rate started plummeting with each contraction and I was still only a 7. If I had been complete, they would have let me push. They said I need a c-section and that I couldn't use just my epidural. It was too urgent and they "couldn't get my epidural turned up high enough in time." So I was under general. I didn't meet my dd until about 2-3 hours later and I was really groggy. She wanted to nurse really bad, so I needed help moving into position. Luckily, she did fabulous and needed NO help! Oh, and the surgery went VERY well. They found a cyst on my ovary that they removed. Also, I was sewn up very well (they had to make a new incision because the other one was "too low" or something...) and I haven't had any pain from either incision since!

The doctor who did my second surgery (at a different hospital in a different town!) was fabulous and suggested that I only have c-sections in the future. I'm still kind of undecided on this. But, considering I'm not even pregnant, I have some time to think about this!

Oh, and the second doctor also put in my IUD and did a great job at that too! VERY minimal pain. I was just a little dizzy at first, but they gave me some crackers and a Diet Pepsi and I was fine. No cramps or anything. And to me, the worst part about the whole procedure was hearing the metal of the cervix clamp!
#303 of 1132 Old 12-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Hi everyone. It's is nice to see this thread here. I am the proud mommy to 2 dd's who were both born by c/s.

With my first dd I was showing early signs of pre-eclampsia so my OB put me in the hospital to do a 24hour urine to check for protein and an u/s because I was measuring really big. When they did my u/s they discovered that baby was breech and that she was not head down like they had thought. Her head was under the right side of my ribs. The next day when my 24hour urine came back that I did in fact have protien they decided to go ahead and do a c/s. My dd was born at 10:10pm. I was taken to recovery and dh went to the nursery with the babe. My epi wore off way to quickly and I was in horrible pain. When the recovery room nurses took me back to my room dh was still up in the nursery. I was on a morphine pump but my pain was so intense that the pump wasn't helping at all. The nurse came in after getting dh and I was hysterical. They finally called the OB and he ordered a shot of morphine via IV and it knocked me out for a few hours. I had not even seen my baby yet. Once I woke up the pain was under control and they brought my dd to me.

When I got pregnant the 2nd time, dh and I talked about wheter or not to try for a VBaC. I switched to a different OB. I fell in love with him right away. However he couldn't do a VBAC b/c he could only deliever at 1 hospital and that hospital doesn't do VBAC. So I had the option of using a different OB and going to a different hospital (that was over almost an hour away) or we could do a repeat c/s. DH and I talked and the risks were not work it for us. We decided to have a repeat c/s. We scheduled the day and everything was fantastic! My OB was wonderful!! I had no pain like I had had the first time. My epi was great! Everything was wonderful! I really think that my OB went above and beyond to make it great for us! He is awesome!

There are times that I wish I would have had a natural delievery but I don't regret it. I am glad that both of my dd's were born healthy! Reading this thread has been great for me!
#304 of 1132 Old 12-14-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi ladies! I haven't been on here in a long time - but it's so nice to come back and find a tribe like this!

I have 2 ds's, both born by unplanned c-sections and I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I'm guessing that I'll have to have a scheduled c-s this time around :

My story: Went into labour with ds #1, water broke, dilated nicely, went to hospital where they hooked me up and made me labour on my back. A couple of hours later I was pushing ... After 2.5 hours of pushing, the Dr tried the forceps 2 times and the vacuum 3 times. Ds wouldn't come out because his head was twisted and looking over his shoulder. Had to have a c-section. The trauma from the vacuum and forceps caused his head to swell and he had to have a skull XRay at 1 day old to check for fractures. I was convinced that if I had laboured differently, then I would have had a different outcome.

With ds #2, I was assured that the same thing wouldn't happen and I was determined to wait til the last minute to go to the hospital so I wouldn't get stuck on that bed! I went into labour on my own, after 30 minutes, my water exploded and it was all brown. I was in full-blown labour and pushing at home within a few more minutes. It was totally crazy! I went to the hospital and got hooked up to the bed because of the meconium in my water. After about 10 minutes of pushing, the Dr tells me that ds's head is twisted and she wanted to use the forceps and/or vacuum on ds's head. I said "no". I didn't want to risk a head injury when I knew the outcome would likely be unsuccessful.

Now, I'm pregnant again and hope to not have to go through the disappointment and pain of labour, pushing, then c-section ever again. My pelvis is just shaped so that the child gets cork-screwed on its way out So that's my story. Pretty typical, I guess. But at least there are a bunch of you here know how upset I was about my failed VBAC!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#305 of 1132 Old 12-16-2006, 12:17 AM

Wow, I can't believe I found this thread today.

A friend just had a beautiful natural homebirth with her second, and it totally undid me. Not that I wished anything different for her, but somehow it brought up all my grief about my two unplanned c-sections. I spent much of today on the verge of tears.

I'm so grateful to have found this thread. I was reflecting last night that I am the only person I know who has only had surgical births.

I'll post more of my story later, but for now I'm subscribing!
#306 of 1132 Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 AM

Hey everyone,

I think this thread is great - I'm so happy to find a group of mamas who aren't continually challenging my reasons for having another c-section. I feel that based on my past medical history that sections are the safest for me and my baby and when people, although well intentioned, keep pushing me to go for a VBA2C it makes me feel like I'm putting myself before my kids somehow (? : ?). I feel very comfortable with my birth choice and am enjoying my last pg experience...

Dh and I are very sure that this will be our last baby and I'm thinking of having my tubes tied during the surgery... anyone here have that done? I haven't talked to my OB about this yet (I see her tomorrow) so I'm not sure if it is common to 'double-up' the procedures.
#307 of 1132 Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM

One week from today.......
Having to schedule this one is driving me nuts. With my first, I didn't know that it was coming. Now I'm counting down...slowly, so very slowly counting! I want her here now! Still psyching myself up that this one will be better, much easier to heal from with no labor ahead of time. It HAS to be better!
#308 of 1132 Old 12-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
One week from today.......
Having to schedule this one is driving me nuts. With my first, I didn't know that it was coming. Now I'm counting down...slowly, so very slowly counting! I want her here now! Still psyching myself up that this one will be better, much easier to heal from with no labor ahead of time. It HAS to be better!
First of all, congrats on the impending arrival!

As for it being easier, my first section was definitely the worst. I didn't even need pain meds after my 2nd or 3rd. Part of it (for me) was the fact that I hadn't gone through labor first, part of it was the fact that the incision was made mostly through scar tissue, and part I think was just that I knew what to expect, and I wasn't as scared about the whole thing. Just make sure you take it as easy as possible, which is never easy to do when you've got a newborn and an older child!

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your update!
#309 of 1132 Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajennifer View Post
As for it being easier, my first section was definitely the worst. I didn't even need pain meds after my 2nd or 3rd. Part of it (for me) was the fact that I hadn't gone through labor first, part of it was the fact that the incision was made mostly through scar tissue, and part I think was just that I knew what to expect, and I wasn't as scared about the whole thing.
Do they normally make the incision through the scar tissue if you've had a previous c-section? Can I request that they do that?

My recovery was tough. I was induced and didn't progress beyond 4cm, so by the time they did the c-sec I was so exhausted already. That certainly didn't help my recovery! Does anyone have any ideas to help with healing? I'm planning on taking some arnica pearls with me and my chiro/acupuncturist friend will be visiting me in the hospital.

Today they gave me two dates to choose from: April 19 or 20. I feel like I need to consult a psychic or something to decide which day is best!
#310 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Hey everyone,
I feel that based on my past medical history that sections are the safest for me and my baby and when people, although well intentioned, keep pushing me to go for a VBA2C it makes me feel like I'm putting myself before my kids somehow (? : ?). I feel very comfortable with my birth choice and am enjoying my last pg experience...

Dh and I are very sure that this will be our last baby and I'm thinking of having my tubes tied during the surgery... anyone here have that done? I haven't talked to my OB about this yet (I see her tomorrow) so I'm not sure if it is common to 'double-up' the procedures.
I feel the same way. I really don't want any VBAC advice. I'm glad that others want to do this, but based on my history, I honestly feel that for me alone, a VBAC would be placing myself and my desire to vaginaly birth ahead of my baby, my husband and DS.

It is VERY common to double up. In Utah there is a waiting period to get this done. Hopefully your OB can explain what is required in your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
My recovery was tough. I was induced and didn't progress beyond 4cm, so by the time they did the c-sec I was so exhausted already.

Today they gave me two dates to choose from: April 19 or 20. I feel like I need to consult a psychic or something to decide which day is best!
I did not labor and found my c/s recovery fairly easy. Two of my friends labored then had a c/s, and then had a scheduled c/s. They say the scheduled c/s is tons easier. I found to help with recover the best advice I have is get out of the damn bed as fast as you can. Because DD was in NICU I had to get out of bed to see her. I got up about 4.5 hours later, then every 3-4 hours for the next 12 hours, then I was up and down at will. Once they pulled the cathedar and IV, I felt very good and was walking all over the hospital. I over did it, and crashed the next night, but a good nights sleep helped wonders.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. Before and after. I was told that camimile tea helps your body as well. I was told to drink it warm, not hot.

The conversation on when to have DD was so very weird.

OB: Lets have the baby this Saturday or Sunday.
Me: (Look at DH) he shrugs. What is better for you? We have no plans...
OB: Well Sunday is Mother's Day, so how about Saturday so you'll be a Mother on Mother's Day.
Me: OK. (I was thinking, I'm sure you would rather be with your family that morning, but she rounded on me that am.)

It is a VERY weird conversation in deed.
#311 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow!!!! The only place on this site I feel 100% comfortable. I've had 3 c/s's. 1:The first I was totally commited to going natural, started off in a birthing center, took bradley classes, the whole nine-yards. A number of things can together to end up with this result. Not a very good relationship with the midwife, she never checked babes position, even though I had been in labor for two days before I went in. Babe was LOP, and not just that but lodged in my pelvis. After the normal routine of natural birthing options, ball, shower, jacuzzi, walking, lots and lots of jacuzzi, I tranfered to the hospital and got a much wanted epidural at this point, I was mad, discouraged, my midwife and doula were getting frustrated that I was in labor for so long, and I could feel it big time. Anyways after laboring from a friday night to a monday morning (never counted the hrs) I had the c-section, dd was born with a nice bruise acroos her head, from being lodged.
2:THis was planned a VBAC, impatient doctor, what more can I say?
3:This too was planned a VBA2C, much, much better doc, willing to happily assist the birth even though this was my third kid in as many years. Had found this site, prepared so, so much mentally and physically.Everything was going great until I woke up at 35 wks to a blood stained bed and blood soaked underwear, I had placenta previa, it was bleeding, determined it was my blood and let me go another week on bed rest until I delivered by third c/s. After this one I was actually glad to have had previous sections, because my dd was born with a heart defect and spent a week in the NICU, so I was up and around first thing in the morning after a afternoon c/s, pretty much living in the NICU that week.
And I plan on having more c/s's and am niot feeling so bad about it. My uterus was splitting open when went in so thankfully I had a previa ironically, I would have tore for sure through labor. My doctor didn't double stitch me so I destined for more c/s's and while I do feel like I've missed out on some cool stuff, I don't beat myself up over it.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#312 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 AM

MizLiz, I "doubled up" and got tied when I had my second and last c-section. It seemed a little crazy to do because it was so hard to get pregnant with DD2 but my OB brought it up because of my age, 46, there was no way I was going to have anymore children and she said that she had seen it happen before. Also I wanted to simplify birth control, i.e. not drugs, etc, since I had taken them to get pregnant. It was very simple, did not take any time at all to do, and I am glad I did it.
#313 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
The conversation on when to have DD was so very weird.

OB: Lets have the baby this Saturday or Sunday.
Me: (Look at DH) he shrugs. What is better for you? We have no plans...
OB: Well Sunday is Mother's Day, so how about Saturday so you'll be a Mother on Mother's Day.
Me: OK. (I was thinking, I'm sure you would rather be with your family that morning, but she rounded on me that am.)

It is a VERY weird conversation in deed.
Yeah, mine was like
OB: Well, let's look at the week before you're due. Earlier in the week is better, I'm off the weekend. You want to go the 25th?
Me: Are you sure about that? You really think your wife and kids are gonna let you spend that morning with me and not them?
OB: Oh yeah, I guess that is Christmas..... How about the 26th?
Me: Um, yeah.....that would work..... :
#314 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post

I missed this post! I had my tubes tied and an umbilical hernia repaired during my last c-section. I think it's pretty common to do the tubal at the same time if you're in for a section anyway. Heck, you're already open, why not! r

And LOL at your dr. Teakafrog. Just a little out of touch there!
#315 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajennifer View Post
umbilical hernia repaired during my last c-section.
Could you please tell me about this, I am planning to do that this time and am wondering how much time and such it adds to the surgery/recovery. Thanks!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#316 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 04:21 PM

I have two friends who have 'doubled up' and got a tubal at the same time as a c-section. I've considered it, but it just feels too final a thing to do until after we've had this baby (our 3rd). My dh would love it though, lol.

A friend of mine had to have a drain in place after her 3rd c-section (wasn't in for long though). Anyone here had this? I'm a little freaked at the thought. She also had a tubal at the same time, so maybe that was why?

Perhaps I'm an oddity here, but I know SO many women who've had only c-section births. I can think of at least 7 friends (in the same 'clique', if you will), we all have kids and all have been by c-section. We're all in our 30s too, maybe it's an age thing?

Tricia

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
#317 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
Could you please tell me about this, I am planning to do that this time and am wondering how much time and such it adds to the surgery/recovery. Thanks!
It didn't add much time to mine at all. My baby was born at 7:42 and I was back in my room before 8:30, and that included the tubal. I didn't notice any added recovery issues either. Really, other than the fact that I no longer had the hernia bulge in my belly button, I didn't notice anything at all. Good Luck with your surgery!
#318 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Three_Sons View Post

A friend of mine had to have a drain in place after her 3rd c-section (wasn't in for long though). Anyone here had this? I'm a little freaked at the thought. She also had a tubal at the same time, so maybe that was why?
I had a drain in after my 3rd c-section, but it was because I'd requested it. (and on an unrelated, but trippy note, I had forgotten about it until reading your post!) After my 2nd c-section I had some issues with healing because I got a seroma (fluid filled bubble) under the incision that kept it from closing and required us to let it heal from the inside out, which meant we had to pack the opening with gauze and change it twice a day, which was really uncomfortable! So I asked the doctor what we could do to prevent that when I was pregnant with my 3rd, and the drain was what we did. Now, from what I understand, most women won't have this problem, mine was mostly because I am well... very plus sized Having all the extra weight makes it harder to heal. But obviously, since I'd forgotten it, the drain was no big deal.
#319 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, but I'm so glad I have stumbled across the c-section forum. I'll let the following speak for me regarding my experiences. I actually posted this yesterday on another forum in response to a pregnancy question related to c-sections and was promptly banned. Anyhow, here's what I wrote, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi girls,

I'm not expecting in March, but several of my online friends brought this post to my attention because of my experiences with c-sections. I had two in less than two years (13 months, 1 day to be exact). The first was not planned at all. I went into labour with my daughter, and I attempted to push for about 12 or 13 hours, but then she went into distress (low heart rate), and the doctor attending to me decided that an emergency c-section would be my best bet.

So, my daughter was born via c-section and came into the world weighing 9 pounds 10 ounces, and was an amazing 10 out 10 twice in a row on the Apgar tests. She's now 19 months old and an active, healthy toddler.

My experience with the c-section wasn't so great, however. My incision didn't properly heal, and I actually had to be re-opened because of a hard mass of fluid. It had to be drained, and a nurse had to come every day for almost three months to tend to it, filling it with iodine and gauze.

When my daughter was five and a half months old, I became pregnant with my son. He wasn't due until August 2006, but he came into this world at 33 weeks 6 days. I went into labour, and I had been advised by my gyno (my hubby's cousin) that it might be in my best interest to have another c-section. I was iffy about it and really wanted a vbac, but when I went into labour so early, I thought it might be best just to go through with the c-section and have him taken to the NICU so he could be tended to as quickly as possible. I was 4cm dialated within an hour of being at the hospital, and I had to argue with the doctor on duty because she kept insisting that I was the perfect candidate for a vbac. I told her that I wanted the c-section, so after 7 hours of making sure my water didn't break, my son was born via c-section, weighing 5 pounds 6 ounces. He's now 6 months (4 and a half adjusted) and is a healthy 14 and a half pounds.

Again, I had another c-section infection. This time, it was along the outside of my scar, like a mass of grapes and a nurse had to tend to it again, but it wasn't as severe.

By the way, they don't re-cut an existing c-section scar. I have two and most women I know who have had more than one also have two or more. It depends on the position of the baby.

So, in conclusion, while both of my children were born healthy (my son had 6, then 9 on the Apgars), I wouldn't recommend a c-section if at all possible. I had severe guilt for having a c-section with my daughter, and ended up having awful PPD that was triggered somewhat by that. I did a lot of research while pregnant with my son, and wanted to truly have a vbac, but I'm an overweight woman when I'm not pregnant, and with my history of previous scar infections, I decided it would be best to have another c-section, but it bothers me to this day that I couldn't have natural births with either of my children.
#320 of 1132 Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalia View Post
By the way, they don't re-cut an existing c-section scar. I have two and most women I know who have had more than one also have two or more. It depends on the position of the baby.
I have had 3 sections and all were re-cut along the existing scar. Interesting that it isn't that way everywhere.

mamajennifer- thanks for the info on the hernia issue.

Question- Is anyone on our little support thread here anti-vacccine and Rh- with an Rh+ partner? I am at such a loss of what to do about Rhogam this time.

Also- what do you all think of taking mega doses of Vit C prior to a c-section? Doctors seem to know so little about supplements and their benefits, but- you never know if something is safe when having major surgery like that.

I am also thinking a lot lately about what kind of pain relief I want this time. I have had 3 spinals, the first 2 had some long-lasting med in them that made me itchy, but worked well. The last time, the anesthesiologist decided not to use that drug (b/c of the itching) but I was given a patient-controlled morphine pump which did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me, and was simply awful. Darvesette (sp?) works well for me, but I worry about taking that level of acetaminophen. Thoughts?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#321 of 1132 Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM

Hi, I don’t think I’ve posted on this thread yet, if I have please excuse the forgetfulness!

Both of my boys were born by cs. The first one I had planned what I thought was a good plan in my mind. I was going to go natural, I was going to move around, if it got too bad I would do the drugs that our childbirth class had said were a good option ‘just to take the edge off’ (Stadol and Nubain come to mind as the names?) My water broke at home, and his head must have been engaged already because I never had a huge gush, just little leaks every now and then. When I got to the hospital I was somewhat dismayed that they hooked me up to the monitors right away and I was flat on my back, because that wasn’t in my plan. After laboring for about 2 hours flat on my back I decided to go w/ the drugs, no epidural. Stupid mistake. They made me groggy and pretty much sent my sense of reasoning straight out the window. After 2 hours of those, and still only 4 cm dilated I opted for an epidural instead. I labored for several more hours and was still only 4 cm dilated. They talked about giving me some pitocin to speed things up, but wanted to wait until the OB operating room was free just in case. Then his heart rate started having decals and after the 3rd time the dr recommended a cs. So, after 12 hours of labor and still at less than 5 cm, I agreed. Because the OB OR was still occupied w/ another cs they had to take me up to the regular surgical floor. I am a little fuzzy about what happened from that point on. It would appear that they ended up giving me a spinal instead of the regular epidural, because in the recovery room I could not move my arms and felt like I couldn’t breathe. Anyhow, the cs went pretty quickly, he was out before I even realized they’d started cutting. I was still groggy from the drugs that I’d had HOURS ago, and so tired I could barely open my eyes, and both my arms were still strapped down. I remember dh bringing him over and holding him by my face so I could see him and I was crying because I wanted so desperately to look at him but I just couldn’t seem to get it together enough to keep my eyes open and look. That’s the last I remember until I was in the recovery room, terrified because I felt like I couldn’t breathe and the darn nurse just kept ignoring me. I heard her comment to another nurse that ‘it’s normal for them to feel like they can’t breathe’, but not once did she speak directly to me and reassure me. The one bright spot in all of this was that one of dh’s friends from college was a nurse on the OB floor, had come on duty a few hours earlier and switched w/ the other nurse so she could be assigned to me. She came up to the recovery room and asked if I wanted her to bring Jordan up. Since I wasn’t on the OB floor this required a little bit of twisting arms and rule breaking as they already had the security tag on him and he wasn’t supposed to leave the OB floor. But she managed it and brought him up so I could see him. She offered to help put him to my breast so I could nurse (I still could not move my arms at all) and to my everlasting regret I said no, I just couldn’t do it at that time. Once I got through that phase, and the incessant nausea and puking that any kind of drug and anesthesia seems to do to me, recovery was pretty easy. I didn’t take much pain med in the hospital, and maybe one dose of what they sent home with me. I did however retain water like the Hoover Dam. My feet swelled so much they hurt, and the only thing I could get on them was my Birkenstocks on the largest strap setting (good thing it was April and warm).

Fast forward to several years later, different state, different doc, pregnant with my 2nd son. I knew that VBAC was possible, but I was scared I’d have a repeat performance. I knew it was my last pregnancy and the thought of not being able to focus on my child was something I couldn’t bear to go through again. So I opted for a repeat cs (and ended up going into labor 5 hours before it was scheduled). I don’t regret it. I only had an epidural, so I was alert the whole time. After he was born they unstrapped one of my arms so that I could touch him. I was able to nurse him in the recovery room with only a little bit of nausea from the position I had to lay in. They had me up and walking much sooner than the other hospital and I suspect as a result of that I had very little water retention (good thing because November in SD is not a good time to be wearing Birkies outdoors!). Recovery again was pretty easy, I think the most pain I had was from the tubal they did at the same time. Although I get a little sad when I read stories about beautiful home births or water births I feel like I got a positive experience the 2nd time around and I don’t regret my choice.

Just a word to those considering tubals at the time of a c/s (if you’ve made it this far). You may want to research it a bit, as I’ve read in several places since then that there is a slightly higher failure rate if you do it then, as opposed to waiting a certain amount of time. Just in case that concerns you at all.
#322 of 1132 Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Just saw this tribe-I have had THREE c-sections....all along the same incision though each time it got a touch longer from working away scar tissue I am sure.

I will be back with more of the story-gonna grab a shower since all kids are QUIET!WOOOOOHOOOOO!
#323 of 1132 Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 PM

Wow, there are so many of us! Sometimes I feel awkward because I seem to be the only one around who's stuck with c-sections. My intro is a page or so back, but I keep checking in to see the new additions

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#324 of 1132 Old 12-23-2006, 03:40 AM

I've had 2 CS. When CS numbre 2 happened, after they took him out, my doctor had to "clean up" what the first doctor did. she said there was a large amount of scar tissue to clean up so that if I decided to have another baby, there would less problems. it took her 2 hours to (burn?) the scar tissue away. then they ran tests to make sure they didn't hit my bladdar or other things inside there.
#325 of 1132 Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I am the one who started the thread. I thought I'd pop in and say Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year to you all!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#326 of 1132 Old 12-24-2006, 01:55 AM

I'm not sure if I belong here yet, but I probably will end up having all my children by C-section. My first was an unplanned C/S after 20 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing (in excruciating pain despite the epidural, and I have never forgiven the anesthesiologist for turning down the dosage "so I could feel to push" - when I could feel perfectly well already). Turns out my son was posterior, which no one bothered to tell me; I only found out through overhearing the doctors talk about it during the section. He was wedged in the birth canal so tightly they had to pull him back out with a vacuum extractor. My doctor had been able to touch the top of his head with her fingers through the last hour of pushing, and he never came out any farther.

My recovery was awful, probably because of the difficulty they had in pulling him out. It took them at least 20 minutes to get him out of there. I felt fine at the time, just like they were pushing my belly around gently, but as soon as the drugs wore off it was agonizing. It was at least 3 days before I could walk and I was still limping around at my 6-week appointment. I think the pain I was in contributed to my PPD and my breastfeeding issues (a whole different subject ...), and I didn't really start to bond with my son until after the first couple months.

Now I'm pregnant again. The OB who did my C/S said that I am not a candidate for a VBAC. Several nurses told me my external incision looked normal sized, but I guess either the internal cut was wider or she just doesn't like VBACs. I don't know. I could probably get the records and do the research and talk to the one doctor in my town who is said to be VBAC-friendly ... but I don't think I'm going to. I think I will just schedule the section this time.

I hope this thread is a place where I won't get flamed for that decision. I might be able to do a VBAC. I'm young and healthy and have no risk factors other than the prior C/S. But the truth is, I just can't handle the risk of going through the same thing again - going through labor, and pushing, and the baby getting stuck, and ending up with a C-section anyway. I would rather have the recovery from a planned section than the recovery I had after the difficulty of removing a stuck baby. I think a planned section will be easier on my body, easier on my toddler, and easier on my bonding with the new baby, and those are the things that are most important to me.
#327 of 1132 Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 AM

How do you know when to trust the doctors that you really do HAVE to have a C/S?

With DS1, we planned a homebirth, I labored naturally with slow progress for 15 hours after my water broke. I had to go to the hospital and and was put on pitocin still not progressing past 5cm in the next 10 hrs before the doctor said I needed to have a C/S. Doctor said DS's head never even got into the canal--same old baby is too big (9lb,6oz) for the opening excuse. I had a really hard time accepting that that's the way it had to be, and getting down on myself for not planning that it could go that way, and not trying to hold out for the natural birth.

With DS2 we had a doula and I at least had considered that it may end in C/S, but we attempted homebirth again. This time my water broke and labor was intense. I had a lot of swelling and high blood pressure a couple hours into it so we transferred to the hospital. Even though contractions were hard, still I didn't dilate past 5cm and I had another C/S. Once again different doctor said--baby is too big (10lb. 3oz) for the opening. Again head never entered the canal after 24 hours of labor. All the docs involved seemed to agree any future births should be by planned C/S.

My doctor--who promotes homebirth--agreed C/S would e necesary but doesn't want it to be scheduled. He says the future plan should be to wait until I go into labor and then have a C/S. This way baby determines the timing and there wouldn't be the risk of taking the baby before he/she is ready.

So, I have questions for you all. Does this sound reasonable to you? Would you insist on trying to have a HBA2C? How many C/S are "safe"? I hate the idea that I am limited to having 4 children, even though I'm not sure I would choose to have more than that if I could!

I really feel for all of you who have expressed sadness over not being able to deliver vaginally. Even though in my head I can rationalize that C/S is okay, I'm not a failure, all that matters is that I have these beutiful, healthy children...My heart sinks when I let myself think of the homebirths that I planned and when I read your stories too.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#328 of 1132 Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Just stopping in to let everyone know my little girl arrived on the 20th by emergency c/s again! We had planned on a scheduled for Jan 3rd but on the 19th i told my DH she wasn't moving very much and she must be up to something, thinking she was changing postion or something, so the next morning i got up to pee and my water broke on the bathroom floor at 7am. I called Dh at work and said today was baby day and i would call him back in abit once i had a shower, charged the camera and called the midwife. I woke up my sister (she came in the OR with me) called my midwife and parents and the midwife said to head to the hospital around 8:30-9. My mom and sister drove me to the hospital and we told DH we would call him when we knew when the OR would be ready. They told me at the hospital that my OB was on holidays and so the oncall OB would delivery me later that night as the OR was booked till 8pm. The nurses did a nitrazine test to make sure it was amiotic fluid and i was hooked up to a monitor. The nurses started to worry when DD wasn't moving and tried getting me to change postions but that wouldn't work either so the OB came in and was worried that my cervix had an infection (it did) and said he wanted the baby out now. So within minutes we were flying down the hall towards the OR and DH was driving as fast as he could from work (he did make it on time) and within minutes my little girl was born with the cord wrapped tight around her neck that she couldn't move without choking herself so i guess she knew to stay still and we would get her help. She is doing very well and we went home the next day. She is 36w4d and weighted 6lbs 0.5oz and is 19in long, she is in preemie clothes for now.
#329 of 1132 Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki_73 View Post
Just stopping in to let everyone know my little girl arrived on the 20th by emergency c/s again!
What a story! Congratulations! and Merry Christmas! I'm so glad she's fine.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#330 of 1132 Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I'm not sure if I belong here yet, but I probably will end up having all my children by C-section.

I don't know. I could probably get the records and do the research and talk to the one doctor in my town who is said to be VBAC-friendly ... but I don't think I'm going to. I think I will just schedule the section this time.

I hope this thread is a place where I won't get flamed for that decision. I might be able to do a VBAC. I'm young and healthy and have no risk factors other than the prior C/S. But the truth is, I just can't handle the risk of going through the same thing again - going through labor, and pushing, and the baby getting stuck, and ending up with a C-section anyway. I would rather have the recovery from a planned section than the recovery I had after the difficulty of removing a stuck baby. I think a planned section will be easier on my body, easier on my toddler, and easier on my bonding with the new baby, and those are the things that are most important to me.
Well.... You won't get flamed here. I think we all agree that there are some of us that need c/s to live and to have our babies live. None of us take c/s lightly. It doesn't sound like you do either. I understand your fear that it could happen again. I'm not going to tell you that you should try for a VBAC. Not here.

I will tell you that I was trying for a VBAC when I first wrote to this tribe. ha ha.

Have a healthy pregnancy!

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page