All children by C-section tribe )_( - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1132 Old 01-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post

As for the lochia... I sent Dh to the store on day 2 for panty liners. My OB cleaned me out very well. I have had periods heavier than my lochia.
same here...

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#362 of 1132 Old 01-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Ok, so I've had 2 un-planned c-sections. I fully expect to have a c-section this time around.

Why is there a nagging feeling in the back of my head that maybe I can have a vaginal birth? Any of you hoping for the unlikely?

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#363 of 1132 Old 01-23-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Why is there a nagging feeling in the back of my head that maybe I can have a vaginal birth? Any of you hoping for the unlikely?
Since I'm done, no. However, I do know the feeling! I think it's pretty common, especially with us crunchy natural types.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#364 of 1132 Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM

Well, we found out we are having a girl! I am soooo excited!

My c/s is scheduled for April 20 at 8:15am. I'm hoping for a better recovery this time since I won't be laboring first and I'll (hopefully) sleep the night before this time!

I would love to hear your tips for recovery. I plan on taking Traumeel and Rescue Remedy with me. I also have been told to drink warm chamomile tea and tepid water. Anything else, I would appreciate!
#365 of 1132 Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
Well, we found out we are having a girl! I am soooo excited!

My c/s is scheduled for April 20 at 8:15am. I'm hoping for a better recovery this time since I won't be laboring first and I'll (hopefully) sleep the night before this time!
I'm also scheduled for a section on April 20th with my second girl... it will be an exciting day for at least two of us!
#366 of 1132 Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I think everyone on this tribe's only option is c-sec. I do know the feeling though. It is absolutely positively not at any time for any reason any other option for me but c-sections.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#367 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
As my c/s are for a medical need, for me, its not a can or can't issue, its a what is the best and safest course issue for me and baby issue. For me based on my medical history, that would be c/s.

That does not mean I don't wonder what labor is like or mourn the loss of labor or vaginal birth, but I accept what is my physical truth.

There may be more women on the VBAC form who have chosen to attempt a VBAC after multiple c/s.
#368 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
As my c/s are for a medical need,
My logical mind knows that my c-sections are required. The babies get corkscrewed sideways in my pelvis and it's physically impossible to turn them or pull them out. There's no way that I can have a vaginal birth, either. It's just a thought in the back of my mind ... It's the whole "what if" about it

#369 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
Since I'm done, no. However, I do know the feeling! I think it's pretty common, especially with us crunchy natural types.
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one It seems really weird for me to have to "schedule" a c-section :

#370 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I've had 2 un-planned c-sections. I fully expect to have a c-section this time around.

I knew for a fact with both of my boys that a vaginal birth just wasn't an option, but that didn't stop a very small part of me from hoping that I'd go into labor and deliver naturally before the section date. I think it's natural for those of us who really had our hearts set on a vaginal birth, just like mourning the fact that it didn't happen.
#371 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi, everyone:

Wow, am I glad to see this thread! I delivered twins via c-section at 34w5d after PIH starting at week 15 and pre-eclampsia starting at week 22 or so. I was repeatedly hospitalized for the pre-e after week 25 and spent most of the last 6 weeks in the hospital, with the idea of an urgent c-section being debated every day. When I made it to week 28 my OB confessed that he never thought I would make it past week 20. This all came after 7 years of trying to conceive, including more than 2 years of failed ART, with nearly a year's worth of IVF.

Several times since giving birth I've had people say how sad it was that I wasn't able to "experience birth". I can only laugh: there's nothing sad about the birth of my twins. Having mourned for more than a year when I thought we would never have a family, the only birth method I cared about was the one that would result in 2 live babies. As I was on mag for the pre-e, the section was a barf-a-palloza hazy memory for me, but that day will always be one of the best of my life. I would have been a "real" mom had I delivered vaginally, gotten pregnant with IVF, adopted, or used a surrogate. And if anyone wants to debate that with me, I'll gladly call them up at 3 am every day for a few weeks to talk about it - that's when my twins are wide awake and yelling for milk. Yep, it doesn't get any more "real" than that.
#372 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisstiana View Post
I would have been a "real" mom had I delivered vaginally, gotten pregnant with IVF, adopted, or used a surrogate. And if anyone wants to debate that with me, I'll gladly call them up at 3 am every day for a few weeks to talk about it - that's when my twins are wide awake and yelling for milk. Yep, it doesn't get any more "real" than that.
That's a fantastic attitude!

Had it not been for c/s, neither my son or I would be alive, so I too am grateful for the birth that resulted in a live baby (and mom).
#373 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Crisstiana
Glad to have you here!

I love your attitude! In the grand scheme of motherhood, I agree, it does not matter how our children get here, it is that they are here!!!!!

I have a tentative delivery date of 5/10/07....that sort of takes my breath away. I need to really start thinking birth plan & find out my hospitals protocols. :

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#374 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
I would love to hear your tips for recovery. I plan on taking Traumeel and Rescue Remedy with me. I also have been told to drink warm chamomile tea and tepid water. Anything else, I would appreciate!
The standard stuff: Get up as soon as you can. As soon as the surgery is over, start sucking in your stomach and letting it go in order to massage your intestines in an effort to get them going again.

Make sure to walk, but don't overdo lifting and such. You can take along arnica tablets but I don't remember the dosage.

Try to get off the hard drugs as soon as you can and onto tylenol and/or ibuprofen. The corollary here is: don't be a martyr. It's easier to control pain than it is to get rid of it.

When getting out of bed, roll over onto your side and push up with your arms. That will reduce the usage of those poor stomach muscles.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#375 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Megan and Cristina! It is very much appreciated.
#376 of 1132 Old 01-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisstiana View Post
Several times since giving birth I've had people say how sad it was that I wasn't able to "experience birth". I can only laugh: there's nothing sad about the birth of my twins.
That sort of attitude really gets under my skin, too. We did experience it - just in a different way. My kids (or I) wouldn't be alive if I didn't have c-sections - and I'm grateful to have them and don't feel that I've missed out on any exceptional birthing experience. It doesn't matter how they came out, it's what you do with them after they're here, IMO.

I'm feeling a little bitter right now, I guess, maybe it's the pregnancy hormones running through my body, but I just get so tired of hearing how c-sections are the easy way out, or that they're overused and not as necessary as we're told they are. When people criticize c-sections, they criticize me. They can try to back-peddle all they want after they've heard that I've had 2, but their preconceived notions and judgements are already out there. Ugh. Can you tell that I got into it with someone today about the medical necessity of "most" c-sections?!?!?

#377 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 12:44 AM

Went to my OB today & he threw a wrench at me. I thought we had agreed to a date of 5/10 at my last appt. Well he has changed his mind due to a study that does parallel me as a patient. He now wants to schedule my section at 38 weeks instead of 40. I am very very torn. Last time I did what I wanted & ended up with dead baby, but I also believe in being an advocate in your health care. Man,this is so hard.
So, here is my question....those of you that had planned c-sec's....what week did you have your baby? How did you come to the decision that this was the best time to have your baby? Did your baby have any respiratory distress or other causes that needed a NICU?
I am trying to weigh all my options. I plan on going to the med school nearby & actually reading this particular study he is citing. I want to know NICU rates with babies delivered by planned c-sec at 38, 39, 40 wks. Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#378 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 AM

Christina, I have no advice (never had to schedule a c/s) but I couldn't read and not post a of support for you. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a hard decision for you to be faced with.

My only suggestion would be to wait and know that you have some time before you have to "decide". You may have a stronger gut feeling once you are closer to your edd.

Also, do you have anyone who does good body work? Maybe as you approach your edd, you can do some energy work and focus on the baby, get a feel for what he/she would most prefer. I suggest this because I had a great massage at about 37 weeks that really helped me resolve some of my reservations about adding another child to our family. I had deep, deep anxiety and I came out of that session feeling strongly bonded to and ready for the baby to arrive. He (ds) and I had a great "conversation" - maybe you can have something like that, too.

I hope you find your answers and I wish you a safe birth and a healthy baby.
#379 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
Went to my OB today & he threw a wrench at me. I thought we had agreed to a date of 5/10 at my last appt. Well he has changed his mind due to a study that does parallel me as a patient. He now wants to schedule my section at 38 weeks instead of 40. I am very very torn. Last time I did what I wanted & ended up with dead baby, but I also believe in being an advocate in your health care. Man,this is so hard.
So, here is my question....those of you that had planned c-sec's....what week did you have your baby? How did you come to the decision that this was the best time to have your baby? Did your baby have any respiratory distress or other causes that needed a NICU?
I am trying to weigh all my options. I plan on going to the med school nearby & actually reading this particular study he is citing. I want to know NICU rates with babies delivered by planned c-sec at 38, 39, 40 wks. Thanks for any help you all can give me.
Cristina,
I have had two planned C sections, my first one was at 38wk 1d, and my son was fine, no issues at all, no NICU stay. My second section was at 38wk 6d and my daughter did spend time in the NICU, 13 days, for RDS. We do think that it is due to another cause though since she sounded fine when she was born, but developed breathing issues after possibly being given a vaccine against our wishes. (according to one nurse we have spoken with, it was done "accidentally", but we are having difficulty getting her full medical records right now). That being said, she is a happy healthy almost 18 month old who is perfect in every way.
to you
#380 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 02:02 AM

my scheduled was for 38 weeks, but she decided to come at 36 weeks. She had no problems at all and i held her within 5 minutes and bf at 75 minutes.
#381 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Banned

2 of my 3 c/s were scheduled.

40w3d and 39w3d

I questioned having a c/s at 38 weeks as first planned and my doctors let me go longer.
#382 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Well, I just spent about an hour and a half looking for studies on this, and could not find anything. I got distracted reading the forums at http://www.obgyn.net/ (which are fascinating if sometimes aggravating). You'd think there would be some information on c-section timing there, but I couldn't find it. If anyone else has better luck, let me know. I will be scheduling a c-section for this baby in July/August.

My personal experience is only with my unscheduled c-section. My son was born at 37 weeks and was just fine, but I went into labor spontaneously with him, so it makes sense that he was ready.
#383 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 03:06 AM

P.S. This is actually kind of an ethical dilemma for me ... because my due date is Aug. 7, and my parents are going to France for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation opportunity on Aug. 11. My GP says that the OB who will do my c-section likes to deliver at 38 1/2 to 39 weeks. 39 weeks sounds safe to me, but 38 1/2 would give me a few more days with my mom. I had PPD with my last birth and having my parents here for the first week was a godsend. I really want them here as long as possible ... but I don't want to deliver too early. Any thoughts?
#384 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
P.S. This is actually kind of an ethical dilemma for me ... because my due date is Aug. 7, and my parents are going to France for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation opportunity on Aug. 11. My GP says that the OB who will do my c-section likes to deliver at 38 1/2 to 39 weeks. 39 weeks sounds safe to me, but 38 1/2 would give me a few more days with my mom. I had PPD with my last birth and having my parents here for the first week was a godsend. I really want them here as long as possible ... but I don't want to deliver too early. Any thoughts?
do your parents live near you? Can your dp take time off to help you? How long will your parents be gone? My dh took two weeks vacation with dd1 to help since we had no family near us and no one could come to help.
#385 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM

I had my first c-section at 38 weeks, she was fine, I did have nursing issues, but I believe that had more to do with being a first-time mom.

My second section was 39 weeks, again, my babe was fine, and nursing went great.

My last was also 39 weeks, and nursed like a champ, again no breathing issues, etc.

However, with my last, I had the "window" and though the window started forming at 35 weeks, I had a very sharp pain 2 days prior to his birth, and believe that is when the window got worse. Our plan is to schedule this babies birth for 38 weeks. I feel like I was so fortunate last time, and I feel comfortable with scheduling at 38 weeks now. I know a NICU stay is always possible, but- I am so afraid of having something go horribly wrong if I wait to 39 weeks. IME, you have to listen to your gut. Last time I wanted to wait for labor to start and I am so glad I listened to my gut when it screamed "no!".

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#386 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

Debstmomy,

I had my first (unplanned) section at 39 weeks 5 days. Ds needed some suctioning and was drowsy for a day or so, but I had been in labour for a LONG time with many medications and interventions that doped him up a bit. No problems with nursing.

My second section was a day before 40 weeks and dd just needed suctioning. We did, however, have may nursing problems that took awhile to work out but eventually things worked out just fine.

I'm now scheduled for my third section at 39 weeks 3 days... I've been something of a worrier this pg and I think I'd be really scared of something going wrong if I wait to go into labour on my own first... Also my ob only does scheduled sections on Thursdays so I do have limited choice if I want to have her doing the surgery : !

It's really hard to have to decide when is 'best' for your baby to be born as scheduling the delivery feels (to me, at least) a very unnatural decision to make. I'm sure with your last experience, Debstmomy, you have a thousand-fold more emotions around this delivery than many of us will ever experience . With a May due date you still have time to research and think about what you are comfortable with...

I do know of many babies who are born at 38 weeks and have no problems at all after birth (no NICU or any other problems)...
#387 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Hi

This must be a very stressful time for you. To answer some of your questions, I delivered my twins at 34w5d. As I had worsening pre-eclampsia, the timing of the c-section was not open to debate; my lab results and vital signs were examined and section scheduled for 3 hours later. Neither baby had respiratory problems in the NICU. However, my girl had to stay for a week or so because of temperature regulation and feeding problems. My boy had to stay for over 2 weeks due to more serious feeding problems (he needed tube feeds for a week), bradycardia, and severe jaundice. At 4 months, they are a bit behind their adjusted age, but they are gaining weight, smiling, and doing great.

To answer some of your other questions, I did a quick search and the following is what I found. I hope it helps. The timing of a section obviously depends on a bunch of different maternal and fetal factors. I hope you and your doc come to a mutual decision based on your particular situation that you are comfortable with. Best of luck to you and your baby!

From Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, 2004 Nov;5(6):566-70

The influence of timing of elective cesarean section on neonatal resuscitation risk.
Zanardo V, Simbi KA, Vedovato S, Trevisanuto D; Department of Pediatrics, Padua University School of Medicine, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy. zanardo@pediatria

OBJECTIVE: Cesarean section has negative effects on the physiologic responses to birth, including the development of lung volumes, pulmonary vascular resistance, and biochemical responses. The objective of this study was to examine the association between the timing of delivery between 37 and 42 wks gestation and neonatal resuscitation risk in elective cesarean section. DESIGN: Observational, cohort study.

From the American Journal of Perinatology, 2005;22(7), 377-82

Cesarean section, gestational age, and transient tachypnea of the newborn : Timing is the key. By Riskin A, Abend-Weinger M, Riskin-Mashiah S, Kugelman A, Bader D.

The purpose of this study was to identify risk factors and to characterize infants with transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN).

From the American Journal of Perinatology. 19(2):81-86, March 2002.
Contribution of Elective Delivery to Severe Respiratory Distress at Term. By Wax J, Herson V, Carignan E, Mather J, Ingardia C.

Abstract:
We sought to determine the contribution of elective delivery to severe respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) on a weekly basis from 37-40 weeks' gestation.

From the American Journal of Epidemiology Vol. 121, No. 5: 651-663
Copyright © 1985 by The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health

An Investigation of the Relationship Between Cesarean Section Birth and Respiratory Distress Syndrome of the Newborn. By White E, Shy K, Daling J.

To clarify the nature of the association between respiratory distress syndrome and Cesarean section birth, a study was conducted which compared 273 pre mature (36 weeks or tess) Cesarean-delivered Infants with 341 premature vagi nalty delivered Infants who were born at the UnIversity of Washington Hospital from January 1, 1977 through March 31, 1980.

From BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Division, New South Wales Health Department, Australia

Objective
To examine trends in the distribution of births at and beyond term in New South Wales and in particular, to determine whether any changes are associated with changes in the obstetric practices of induction and elective caesarean section.

From British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 1995, vol 102, 101-106

Neonatal respiratory morbidity in elective caesarean delivery at term: influence of timing of elective ceasarean section. . By Morrison JJ, Rennie JM, Milton PJ.

The rate of neonatal respiratory distress in babies delivered by elective ceasarean section at 37 weeks is 7.3%, at 38 weeks is 4.2%, 39 weeks is 1.8% and at 40 weeks is 0.4%.
#388 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Fly-by-poster

Background info: My brother and sister-in-law live out of state. She is having a c-section today. My brother asked for a ballpark guess on when she could travel- we're quite a few states away. They were planning on coming in the third week of Feb but that was before they knew it was going to be a c-section. I thought at least 6 weeks. This is their first baby.

What do you think? How long before you went on any long trips or would think you'd be able to?

tia
#389 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM

Subbing, nak

Both of my boys were born by planned c-section. DS1 was tranverse breech, delivered at 40 weeks with no problems.

DS2 was born at 38 weeks to the day, mainly because I had gestational thrombocytopenia (fancy way of saying low platelet count) and was worried that I'd end up having to be put under if a VBAC didn't work out (hospital would only administer local anesthesia if my platelet count remained at a certain level, and I wasn't certain it would). Supposedly, there was very low fluid around ds2 as well. Basically, I chickened out on the VBAC because I didn't want to risk not being awake for the baby's birth.

Anyway, for all of you wondering about 38 week delivery -- ds2 was fine (6lb. 10 oz. compared to ds1's 7lb. 11oz.), except for mild jaundice which went away on its own with lots of nursing on demand. I had some trouble getting getting nursing going, but I had the same difficulties with ds1 at full-term, so I don't think that was the issue.
#390 of 1132 Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgirl View Post
do your parents live near you? Can your dp take time off to help you? How long will your parents be gone? My dh took two weeks vacation with dd1 to help since we had no family near us and no one could come to help.
No, they live 1000 miles away and my mom is a teacher, so they won't be able to come again once the school year starts. My husband is self-employed, so he'll be around all the time, but ... how can I say this ... he's not very helpful.

But it does sound like 39 weeks is better than 38, so I guess we can just plan on Aug 1. and about a week of having my parents here. And I'll hope that I really do "cook 'em fast" and this one decides to come a little early like the last one did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page