All children by C-section tribe )_( - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are done. We planned on two, and it's just as well. The last pregnancy stretched my uterus thin enough, the OB told me there would be problems with the next one.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Silvercrest79 It is difficult to see others succeed in their VBAC where as we didn't. But you gotta put things in prespective. Every mother, every birth is unique. It's not a one birth fits all. Yes I wish every VBAC was successful.... but in reality its not. We do the best we can, and that's all that is expected. We are still mothers. We still gave birth to our babies. No one else could have layed on that table and given birth to my babies. To the mother who felt less of a mother because her baby didn't come out her vagina: you're still the only one who could give birth to your baby. You carried, and nurished that baby for 9 months....no one else could have done that for your baby. You are a mother, no matter how that baby was born. Sometimes as a mother you have to make difficult choices. I wanted a VBAC to the extreme that I considered UC..... but in the end, I knew a scheduled cesarean birth was the safest for my second child. (Tried natural VBAC for third.) Being a mother is about making the best choices for yourself and your baby, even if that means laying that dream birth to the side. I know it's hard to see others succed where we might feel like we failed, but I don't see it as a failure. We still gave birth, just differently than we had expected. So congrats go to someone when they get a VBAC.

Now, on to something a tad bit different. I have a prespective client that is basically afraid of labor. I believe the father of the baby is too. She was talking to my hubby yesterday and asked why she shouldn't just have a cesarean birth. : (It's her first baby, she's 20 and healthy.) It amazes me there are women who choose to have a cesarean birth just because they are afraid of labor! So obviously I've got my work cut out for me if she's going to become a doula client. So I am putting together a packet of info for her. My business card, stats on doulas and what we do. I'd also like to include the pros and cons of natural, medical, and cesarean birth. I'm editing this to say I'm going to use the booklet from http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...esareanbooklet
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Christina as a doula I would make sure that Mama has access to many MANY birth videos, all kinds. She has only probably heard & seen horror stories (ie movies & tv & friends). Show her how beautiful the birth experience is. I would have her look into hypnobirthing (I think it is the best) & seriously consider actually taking a course (not just a home study). Talk to her about natural pain relieving techniques. Also explain how interventions interfere with the natural labor process & makes recovery & breast feeding harder. Also let her know the fear of the unkown is normal but she can research & make herself come to terms with it.
With that in mind, as a doula we can not make the ideal birth for everyone. You probably already know this.We can encourage our clients & help them through, but ultimately it is up to them. They have to surrender. Good Luck & also post this question in birth professionals...they may have more info to give.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
Christina as a doula I would make sure that Mama has access to many MANY birth videos, all kinds. She has only probably heard & seen horror stories (ie movies & tv & friends). Show her how beautiful the birth experience is. I would have her look into hypnobirthing (I think it is the best) & seriously consider actually taking a course (not just a home study). Talk to her about natural pain relieving techniques. Also explain how interventions interfere with the natural labor process & makes recovery & breast feeding harder. Also let her know the fear of the unkown is normal but she can research & make herself come to terms with it.
With that in mind, as a doula we can not make the ideal birth for everyone. You probably already know this.We can encourage our clients & help them through, but ultimately it is up to them. They have to surrender. Good Luck & also post this question in birth professionals...they may have more info to give.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And trust me, I'll do all these things and more if she becomes my client. However, this is just to give her info in hopes she'll be interested enough to contact me for an inteview. I'm a student doula actually being mentored by local certified doulas and miwives. So I have a lot of resources.... the last birth I attended was with a certified doula/ apprentice midwife/ hypnotist. I think I'll use parts of the booklet "What every pregnant woman should know about cesarean Section" from http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...esareanbooklet.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 PM

I have been working on my c-sec birth plan. Please give me opinions & if you think I may have left anything out. Thanks!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Cristina ’s Cesarean Section Birth Plan

The goal of my birth plan it so help facilitate a positive birth experience, and to have zero Mother Baby separation. If you have a question as to why I chose this birth plan, just ask & I will kindly answer.

I realize that medical emergencies may arise but ask to have informed consent to deviate from my birth plan, if possible.

I have chosen to have my husband Matt & my birth professional Jessica with me at all times during my birth experience.

I prefer spinal anesthesia, without sedating drugs administered (unless expressed by me). This would include antihistamines.

Please insert foley catheter after anesthesia is administered.

I do not want my arms restrained, unless medically necessary.

Upon the birth of my child, I would like a mirror placed or the curtain dropped so I can see my baby be born.

Please delay cord cutting until pulsating has stopped.

I would like photos taken of my baby’s birth.

I prefer sutures, not staples for closing my incision.

I wish to take my placenta home with me for spiritual reasons.

After delivery:
I want to hold & meet my baby as soon as possible, and begin breastfeeding.

My husband will accompany our baby if mother baby separation is necessary.
Do not bathe my baby.
I am refusing any eye ointment after delivery.
Vitamin K is ok.
I am waving all other immunizations (Hep B) at this time.
If my baby is male, we will NOT circumcise.
My baby will be breast-fed. There is NO need for pacifiers or bottles.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 AM

You might want to say if you want extra pain meds during the delivery or not. They gave me stadol with #1 and it made the whole day a blur. The second time I made sure I did not get anything extra.

Also, discuss all of this with your doctor and the hospital before hand. Lots of things can be "hospital policy" and you need to know what before you go in. Pick you battles.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Along with a lot of you on here... a VBAC would not help me. It would not remove the terror that the thought of going into labor gives me. It would not remove my fear of failing if I have a repeat c/s.

I ache for those of you who ruptured. If it matters, I've learned from your experiences. Because of uterine birth defects, surgery to fix those, and my c/s, I am at an increased rate for rupture. Of course there is always the I can HB route etc. My OB is very VBAC friendly and said she would support my attempt or a repeat c/s. I believe for me that repeat c/s are safest for me and my future unborn children as well as the least likely to leave Sydney and Vince without me.

I've done the reading. I know the risks. For me, having a VBAC is too great a risk. I would be crushed to attempt and fail. I'd rather just not try.

I don't have anything to prove. People already feel I'm less than a mom for having c/s. I know there are those who keep trying and trying and fighting for a VBAC, but I just don's have the emotional energy to fight it, to risk.

I also feel "safe" having a repeat c/s. My baby and I came through whole. I've never labored, so have no experience with this.

I'm a big believer in natural child birth, and the weight that I will never experience something that I believe in so strongly is a heavy one to bear.

This is exactly how I felt with my third. My first two deliveries were so dramatic and filled with emergency and fear that I just wanted to experience what I could in a calm atmosphere. Im not saying that I think birth is calm, but I at least didnt want another emergency. Also I knew of people and read about them here and saw them on tv who were so disappointed in not having a successful VBAC that their whole focus seemed to be about disappointement and a sense of failure. I just didnt want that, I couldnt imagine feeling like that about a birth. I know my first two were necessary and I have always been fine with it, well as much as you can be I suppose. I didnt feel like they were forced on me or that I could have done something different to prevent them. With my third child's birth I wanted to enjoy seeing her all goopy and have my husband holding her by my head while Im getting sewed back up. That was a dream come true at that point for me and Im sure I would make the same choice if faced with it again. I needed that sense of control after having had such chaos surrounding my first two.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:28 PM

I would guess that most people on this thread have already decided against VBAC for sure (or don't have the option), but I found this site really helpful:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...e.asp?ck=10212

(It's a great pregnancy/birth site overall, but I'm linking directly to the VBAC vs. repeat section part.) I think what I like is that while it's pro-VBAC and pro-natural birth, it doesn't hit you over the head with it. There's no condemnation for choosing a repeat c/s, and there's lots of information on planning a c-section.

This part really made me feel better about my decision -- it's a list of questions to help you decide on whether to try for a VBAC:

1. If you decided on VBAC and it ended with another cesarean, would you feel better for having tried or worse because you went through labor only to have another c-section?
2. If you scheduled a cesarean, would you feel relieved that you wouldn't have to labor again or upset because now you would never know what would have happened if you had chosen a VBAC?
3. If you planned a VBAC and had one, what would that mean to you?

My answers were easy:
1. Worse
2. Relieved
3. An easier recovery, mostly.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
I would guess that most people on this thread have already decided against VBAC for sure (or don't have the option), but I found this site really helpful:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...e.asp?ck=10212

(It's a great pregnancy/birth site overall, but I'm linking directly to the VBAC vs. repeat section part.) I think what I like is that while it's pro-VBAC and pro-natural birth, it doesn't hit you over the head with it. There's no condemnation for choosing a repeat c/s, and there's lots of information on planning a c-section.

This part really made me feel better about my decision -- it's a list of questions to help you decide on whether to try for a VBAC:

1. If you decided on VBAC and it ended with another cesarean, would you feel better for having tried or worse because you went through labor only to have another c-section?
2. If you scheduled a cesarean, would you feel relieved that you wouldn't have to labor again or upset because now you would never know what would have happened if you had chosen a VBAC?

My answers were easy:
1. Worse
2. Relieved
3. An easier recovery, mostly.
I those questions! Most likely the clients I get will want a VBAC, but this will definatly be useful in seeing how prepared they are and what I can help them with.

BTW, my answers were:
1)I would feel better for trying. I still believe vaginal birth is best if there are no complications. If I tried a VBAC, at least I would know I did everything I possibly could do and the cesarean birth was necessary.
Besides, I'm not the kind of doula who says "Do as I say, not as I do." I believe every pregnancy is unique and the pros and cons of each one should be weighed carefully each time. I did plan a cesarean birth (even though I despratly wanted a VBAC) because of medical circumstances for my 2nd child. But for my 3rd, I got to try for my VBAC. I am not sorry I labored for 60 hours.

2) If cesarean was planned for non-medical reasons- I would feel sad and cheated to never know what would have happened if I had chosen a VBAC? This is kinda how I feel about my first birth. I had no clue as to what I was doing.... so I really don't know if that first cesarean would have really been necessary.

3) Wow, If I had a VBAC! WOW! It would mean that finally circumstances were in my favor instead of against me. (Last 2 births it was just unfortunate circumstances that held me back from getting my VBAC.) I could finally say "I knew I could do it!" It also would mean I could relate to my clients better when they describe dropping, presure, pushing, crowning, the ring of fire, etc It would mean healing quicker, less pain medication, the glorious feeling of success!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would guess that most people on this thread have already decided against VBAC for sure (or don't have the option), but I found this site really helpful:...
Just for the record....My original intent was for this tribe to be exclusively for mothers who never delivered vaginally and never could (as we are the only ones who truly understand one another's feelings). I've not enforced that intent only because there is no where else for a collection of medically necessary c-section support on this entire community. :

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Old 03-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Silvercrest, I want to thank you for starting this tribe! It is hard here in this community when you need a c-sec. Thanks again!

(& oh I would still like feedback on my c-sec birth plan!! post # 485! TIA!!!)

One more thing....when did you all start on probiotics to prevent a yeast infection after surgery?? What did you take? (Thrush scares me more than a c-sec!!!!)

Old 03-09-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I think it is great, btw.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know ahead of time with any of mine so I wasn't prepared. We got thrush both times. (Didn't BF DD1 so no problem with thrush in her or me)

Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
(& oh I would still like feedback on my c-sec birth plan!! post # 485! TIA!!!)
Well, it's a lot shorter than mine! But I think you hit all the major points. Looks good!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
1) Much, Much worse
2) relief, pure and simple
3) I honestly don't know... my C/s recovery was fairly easy. Maybe the risk of damage to the pelvic floor? letting the baby come when ready not when scheduled? The compressing and other wonderful things that a vaginal birth does to babies?

Good questions.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercrest79 View Post
Just for the record....My original intent was for this tribe to be exclusively for mothers who never delivered vaginally and never could (as we are the only ones who truly understand one another's feelings). I've not enforced that intent only because there is no where else for a collection of medically necessary c-section support on this entire community. :
I know ... but thank you for starting this tribe, I really feel at home here even though I've only had the one c/s and there's a remote chance I may have a VBAC someday (I'm not expecting it though).

I wonder if someone should start a c/s support thread in the birth and beyond forum? I don't think that would violate any rules, it would just be a matter of keeping it active.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I wonder if someone should start a c/s support thread in the birth and beyond forum? I don't think that would violate any rules, it would just be a matter of keeping it active.
There used to be one. But I haven't seen one there in several months.

And honestly, after losing Leah, the pain of never having a vaginal birth is pretty far down there for me. I knew when I got pregnant again after my rupture that I'd be looking at a c-section from the get go and a planned, early section at that. Knowing that from day one was almost a relief. But it was still pretty freaky walking into the OR and getting up on that table.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Beth
Old 03-10-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
There used to be one. But I haven't seen one there in several months.

And honestly, after losing Leah, the pain of never having a vaginal birth is pretty far down there for me. I knew when I got pregnant again after my rupture that I'd be looking at a c-section from the get go and a planned, early section at that. Knowing that from day one was almost a relief. But it was still pretty freaky walking into the OR and getting up on that table.
That is what I dread. Walking in there and getting on the table *SHUDDER*

Real "ELECTIVE" huh?

Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
That is what I dread. Walking in there and getting on the table *SHUDDER*

Real "ELECTIVE" huh?
Yes. That was so weird for me. But you know, I think now, that I've done it, it's just one more way to feel in control. No. Really. I wasn't wheeled in like an invalid. I walked in and got up on the table.

Yes, in reality, I felt very odd. I felt weird. But I was under my own control. I think if I had thought of it that way before hand, it wouldn't have felt so weird.

But then again, maybe not. Just a thought.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
Yes. That was so weird for me. But you know, I think now, that I've done it, it's just one more way to feel in control. No. Really. I wasn't wheeled in like an invalid. I walked in and got up on the table.

Yes, in reality, I felt very odd. I felt weird. But I was under my own control. I think if I had thought of it that way before hand, it wouldn't have felt so weird.

I will totally keep that in mind in 51 days!!!! :

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post

Yup, I've been in that situation. And actually, even though it was far from my HBAC that I had invisioned.... it was my most peaceful and wonderful birth! I had a GREAT dr and I really was in control. Of course, the birth after that- VBAC was an option again....and I took it. I don't regret any of my decisions. I think that's the key to having a wonderful birth experience. Be confident in your decisions...and you'll not regret them.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just sitting here thinking... Last year today I was laying in my hospital bed pleading and praying to get to go home. I'd just had the NG tube pulled out, my baby was 2 hours away clinging to life (I hadn't even seen her yet :sob), I was still in a lot of pain, and I DESPERATELY missed my older girls.

Later that evening my Dr. came in, he knew how desperate I was to leave (I was in tears) and even though I really should've stayed another day, he took pity on me. He took my staples out, and released me into the care of my husband (who he new was a nurse), with strick orders to keep drinking gatorade to keep my potassium up, to call if my heart started racing again, and to see him in the office in a couple days.

These past 5 days have been pretty emotional for me....

Old 03-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Alison

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 03-14-2007, 03:38 PM

I am so sorry Alison. I truly respect you here at MDC and hate to see you in pain.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Just sitting here thinking... Last year today I was laying in my hospital bed pleading and praying to get to go home. I'd just had the NG tube pulled out, my baby was 2 hours away clinging to life (I hadn't even seen her yet :sob), I was still in a lot of pain, and I DESPERATELY missed my older girls.

Later that evening my Dr. came in, he knew how desperate I was to leave (I was in tears) and even though I really should've stayed another day, he took pity on me. He took my staples out, and released me into the care of my husband (who he new was a nurse), with strick orders to keep drinking gatorade to keep my potassium up, to call if my heart started racing again, and to see him in the office in a couple days.

These past 5 days have been pretty emotional for me....
I'm so sorry Alison. You know, it's in the past. There is nothing more that you can do about it. Dwelling on it now is just going to make present day miserable. The only good that comes from remembering our past is learning from our mistakes and growing from those experencies. Dwelling on the negative is only productive if it changes us for the good and influences our decisions for the better in the future. Since we can't change our past, we take what we can from our past and move on. You've been given this amazing voice to help other women in this simular situation....use your past to motivate yourself, and don't let it stop you in your tracks of grief on what could have been. You did what was best for yourself and your baby, that's all anyone can ever do. I still get emotional about my babies' births if I really dwell on the negative...I can throw a pretty big pity party for myself. But knowing it's in the past, I did what I coud , and I've learned from it.... I can go on. I still gave birth to my children and did what was best at the time. I still look at them and fall in love with my kids all over again. Thinking about their births in a positive light still makes me cry....it's their birth. The first time I saw them, heard them cry, held them, nursed them....focus on those beautiful parts, not the tramatic.... Okay. One more
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Well, my c-sec is coming up. 38 days to be exact. I am starting to think probiotics. What, if any, have you done to prevent yeast infections? When did you start?
THANKS!!!

BTW, On The Fence had her baby yesterday!!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Hi everyone! I've been browsing around MDC for years but never really found a tribe to fit into until now I have 3 kids all delivered by c/s. My stories are long so I won't go into them right now til I've read through the other posts and gotten to know some of you. I'm just glad there is a group for c/s mamas!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Well, my c-sec is coming up. 38 days to be exact. I am starting to think probiotics. What, if any, have you done to prevent yeast infections? When did you start?
THANKS!!!
I'm interested in responses to this as well. My c-sec is in 28 days! (And not a moment too soon. I am sooo uncomfortable.)
Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
I'm interested in responses to this as well. My c-sec is in 28 days! (And not a moment too soon. I am sooo uncomfortable.)
I'm in 27 days! I never had any problems with yeast after my previous two sections, but I'd like to see what others recommend.

User Tag List