All children by C-section tribe )_( - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 1132 Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
Silvercrest79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to those who've posted lately. I haven't been on in a while.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Silvercrest79 is offline  
#122 of 1132 Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 PM
 
mightymoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mass. Confusion
Posts: 10,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple
Here's the thing, I thought I was ok with the C/S I had, but on talking with my midwives about all this, I started to cry. She told me I needed to look into what is bothering me about the first one. Since I thought I was ok with it up until now, I'm conflicted. Part of me thinks it might have been necessary, part of me thinks if I never have a vaginal birth, I'll be ok. Another part of me says that's not true. I'll feel like I missed out on a potentially empowering event.

I guess that's all. Like I said I may fit in here. I obviously have issues with my first C/S and in a month, I'll know if all my pregnancies end in C/S. My husband and I are stopping with this one. That decision was made before we even got married!
I found my VBAC attempt to be very emotionally overwhelming. Unlike the first time around and the c/s, where I felt I knew what the 'best' course of action in any event was, and it unfortunately led to the c/s, I saw that it was necessary and could not have been prevented with the knowledge we had at any point. But with the VBAC, it was a constant battle to be sure I was pushing for the right thing. I was so much more stressed over it than I was over the outcome of my previous birth somehow - I thought I had come to terms with the c/s too until I got near to my VBAC, then I was a wreck.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
mightymoo is offline  
#123 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 AM
 
coloradoalice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Bumpity Bump!!

I figure there are probably some more out there!

coloradoalice is offline  
#124 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 AM
 
Peppermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: work-in-progress
Posts: 5,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a couple of questions that are c-section related.

For my history, I have had 3 c-sections, and with the last one I had a window.

Now, I am pregnant and due in April. I am Rh- and DH is Rh+, in the past, I always got the rhogam during pregnancy and never questioned it. Now, I have read a lot more about vaccines, and am far less comfortable with them. I find TONS of information on these forums about how the rhogam during pregnancy is not needed, unless there is some trauma which would have blood mixing. People always say "if you have an intervention-free natural birth, there is no reason for the rhogam during pregnancy", well, I am not having an intervention-free natural birth, and if I get another window, there could be some blood mixing. So- I don't know what to think/do. Is anyone else here a person with the Rh issue?

Also- I am planning to refuse the Vit K for the newborn, unless there is a problem with him/her at birth. I have read on here about the mom taking extra Vit K during the last few weeks of pregnancy, so the baby will be born with higher levels, or the milk will be more rich in Vit K, etc. But- I don't know if that is smart when having a c-section. I mean, sure extra clotting power sounds good with surgery, but- then again, I have normal clotting, and what if it were to make me clot too much?

I wish I could ask all of these questions on the regular forums, but I can't spend a ton of time defending my c-sections, BTDT here quite a few times.

I feel like because I am *choosing* a repeat c-section, I don't get to make choices for the baby that are "natural". I just want what is best for the little Bean....

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Peppermint is offline  
#125 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
 
rmzbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 16,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
I wish I could ask all of these questions on the regular forums, but I can't spend a ton of time defending my c-sections, BTDT here quite a few times.

I feel like because I am *choosing* a repeat c-section, I don't get to make choices for the baby that are "natural". I just want what is best for the little Bean....
I understand. Those forums aren't very friendly.

I refused the Vit. K - no biggie...of COURSE you can make "natural" choices for your babe! Why not?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
rmzbm is offline  
#126 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
I have a couple of questions that are c-section related.

People always say "if you have an intervention-free natural birth, there is no reason for the rhogam during pregnancy", well, I am not having an intervention-free natural birth, and if I get another window, there could be some blood mixing. So- I don't know what to think/do. Is anyone else here a person with the Rh issue?

Also- I am planning to refuse the Vit K for the newborn, unless there is a problem with him/her at birth.

I feel like because I am *choosing* a repeat c-section, I don't get to make choices for the baby that are "natural". I just want what is best for the little Bean....
I don't have a big issue with rhogam so I'm not going to be much help. I'm Rh- but my husband is Rh- too so I had to do a little prodding with my first pregnancy to avoid it including my husband going to the red cross to donate blood to get a replacement donor's card (he'd lost his) to PROVE he was Rh-, this time was easy since I went to a midwifery practice. They actually took me at my word. I *think* I've read that you can refuse it during pregnancy and take it after the baby is born if the baby is Rh+ and you get the shot within 72 hours. Then baby isn't exposed to the mercury. Also, I think I've read that you can find mercury-free rhogam but how hard that is, I don't know.... Try a google search?

As far as the vit K, Well, we actually did decide to do it. Specifically because a c-section was likely (OK. Now it's on for Wednesday!) and I just wanted the extra insurance, mainly if I labored then had an emergency c-section, etc and he needed it. I do have to admit I never looked into the idea of boosting my vit-K levels. It's probably too late for me now.

We are skipping the eye ointment because that's just ridiculous in general and super ridiculous for a c-section.

I do understand how you feel about not being able to make natural choices for your baby because of the c-section, but there's so much more to be natural about after the birth, ya know? There's breastfeeding on demand, no-vax, organic foods, co-sleeping, babywearing, on and on.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#127 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 PM
 
Leilalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 7,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
I don't have a big issue with rhogam so I'm not going to be much help. I'm Rh- but my husband is Rh- too so I had to do a little prodding with my first pregnancy to avoid it including my husband going to the red cross to donate blood to get a replacement donor's card (he'd lost his) to PROVE he was Rh-, this time was easy since I went to a midwifery practice. They actually took me at my word. I *think* I've read that you can refuse it during pregnancy and take it after the baby is born if the baby is Rh+ and you get the shot within 72 hours. Then baby isn't exposed to the mercury. Also, I think I've read that you can find mercury-free rhogam but how hard that is, I don't know.... Try a google search?

As far as the vit K, Well, we actually did decide to do it. Specifically because a c-section was likely (OK. Now it's on for Wednesday!) and I just wanted the extra insurance, mainly if I labored then had an emergency c-section, etc and he needed it. I do have to admit I never looked into the idea of boosting my vit-K levels. It's probably too late for me now.

We are skipping the eye ointment because that's just ridiculous in general and super ridiculous for a c-section.

I do understand how you feel about not being able to make natural choices for your baby because of the c-section, but there's so much more to be natural about after the birth, ya know? There's breastfeeding on demand, no-vax, organic foods, co-sleeping, babywearing, on and on.

We actually had the eye treatment after ds and dd were born via section. My midwife thought it was important becasue of GBS.



Haven't been around here in a while. Been "getting over" stuff.

We are currently still trying for number three now though. We'll see what happens! My thinking is, if I have to have another c-section, maybe I can get that tuck You think I am joking!
Ok, that was only half serious.lol I also just want to be DONE for now, having children. I want to focus on raising them

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
.
Leilalu is offline  
#128 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
 
StrongSingleMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: OR
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD was born at 28 weeks via emergency c-section. I still feel sad when I think that I missed out on my whole third tri and the birthing experience. When she was in the NICU I had to walk by all the mama's that were in labor walking around in robes and it made me feel so sad. My daughter's birth was scary and not at all the way I pictured it would be. I had to lay in my room (I was really sick from pre-e) and hear all the new mama's with their babies and friends celebrating. My little one was 7 floors below me in the NICU and I felt so empty and alone pumping in my room and crying for my 2lb baby. Even thinking about it now is tough and DD is 19 months and totally healthy.]

I am preggo with #2 and am going for a planned c-sec. With my history my Dr. doesn't want me to try for a vbac.
StrongSingleMama is offline  
#129 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 09:06 PM
 
rmzbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 16,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton25 View Post
DD was born at 28 weeks via emergency c-section. I still feel sad when I think that I missed out on my whole third tri and the birthing experience. When she was in the NICU I had to walk by all the mama's that were in labor walking around in robes and it made me feel so sad. My daughter's birth was scary and not at all the way I pictured it would be. I had to lay in my room (I was really sick from pre-e) and hear all the new mama's with their babies and friends celebrating. My little one was 7 floors below me in the NICU and I felt so empty and alone pumping in my room and crying for my 2lb baby. Even thinking about it now is tough and DD is 19 months and totally healthy.]

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
rmzbm is offline  
#130 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
 
Leilalu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 7,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton25 View Post
DD was born at 28 weeks via emergency c-section. I still feel sad when I think that I missed out on my whole third tri and the birthing experience. When she was in the NICU I had to walk by all the mama's that were in labor walking around in robes and it made me feel so sad. My daughter's birth was scary and not at all the way I pictured it would be. I had to lay in my room (I was really sick from pre-e) and hear all the new mama's with their babies and friends celebrating. My little one was 7 floors below me in the NICU and I felt so empty and alone pumping in my room and crying for my 2lb baby. Even thinking about it now is tough and DD is 19 months and totally healthy.]

I am preggo with #2 and am going for a planned c-sec. With my history my Dr. doesn't want me to try for a vbac.


Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do

Maybe a c-section can make all the difference this time? Maybe you can have the bonding right after birth. I am sure it will work out!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
.
Leilalu is offline  
#131 of 1132 Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 PM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton25 View Post
I am preggo with #2 and am going for a planned c-sec. With my history my Dr. doesn't want me to try for a vbac.
My VBAC got killed because I wound up with Gestational Diabetes, then the Dr. became convinced this baby is too big for me to birth. He's still floating above my pelvis, very high. They like to induce women with GD by 40 weeks, but she doesn't like to induce women who have had a prior c-section and frankly, I'm not thrilled with the idea of induction because I feel it just leads to interventions to interventions to a c-section anyway.

So, it looks like a c-section for me this Wednesday. I haven't felt any signs of impending labor.

Like you, my first son was in NICU right after birth for different reasons. Here's hoping our second c-sections give us healthy babies that get to room in with us during our recovery!

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#132 of 1132 Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 AM
 
coloradoalice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
My VBAC got killed because I wound up with Gestational Diabetes, then the Dr. became convinced this baby is too big for me to birth. He's still floating above my pelvis, very high. They like to induce women with GD by 40 weeks, but she doesn't like to induce women who have had a prior c-section and frankly, I'm not thrilled with the idea of induction because I feel it just leads to interventions to interventions to a c-section anyway.

So, it looks like a c-section for me this Wednesday. I haven't felt any signs of impending labor.

Like you, my first son was in NICU right after birth for different reasons. Here's hoping our second c-sections give us healthy babies that get to room in with us during our recovery!
Oh, I am sending you both wishes of babies that room in. My Gracie was in the NICU and it was so hard and so sad. Luckily it was only a 6 day stay, it could have been much worse. I am happy to tell you though that Ian roomed in and it was pure heaven!! That baby hardly ever left my arms our entire stay which was just about 48 hours. I nursed him in recovery and he slept in my arms or James arms the whole time. I was just so happy to have him healthy and rooming in, it made my perspective on the whole c-section so much more positive than the first time.

Also, FWIW, I am Rh- and skipped the pregnancy dose of rhogam. Didn't need it the first pregnancy because Gracie is also -. I got the post-birth dose with Ian because he is +. Luckily my OB didn't give me any grief about it. We also skipped the eye ointment and we refused the vitamin k shot and did oral vitamin K which I purchased online and administered myself.

Good luck!!
coloradoalice is offline  
#133 of 1132 Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 AM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalice View Post
Oh, I am sending you both wishes of babies that room in.

I am happy to tell you though that Ian roomed in and it was pure heaven!!
Good luck!!
Considering that we plan on naming this baby Ian, your post sounds even more wonderful!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#134 of 1132 Old 09-25-2006, 01:20 AM
 
coloradoalice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
Considering that we plan on naming this baby Ian, your post sounds even more wonderful!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!
How sweet! Glad I could help you visualize a happy recovery!!
coloradoalice is offline  
#135 of 1132 Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 AM
 
intorainbowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Crying into my Diet Coke.
Posts: 3,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK tons o spelling errors, sorry.

I'm not pregnant yet... but I already know I'll have a c/z. After the problems with DD and known uterine issues, I'm at a very high risk of rupture. I have had a c/s and another uterine surgery, as well as birth defects in my uterus.

A good friend of mine goes in for her schedueled repeart c/s tomorrow. She had an emergency c/s with #1 (abruption), her second baby died from a placental band around his head, and this is her third. She wanted a VBAC, but her doc kinda pushed it. She spent hours in my office talking with me about vbac. She was a lot like me, because of all the problems with her prior pregnancies, having a c/s just seems "safer" and more controled, if you KWIM. I'm her nursing mentor... Since I'm doing it, she feels she can too. I've already got her all "Pumped" up for pumping when she comes back.

I did not want the eye drops, but my OB said that since dd was preemie, and her eyes were so sensitive to an infection, it was not worth the risk. We agreed with that. She said that if dd was not preemie, she would have agreed there was no need.

I too hated seeing the moms walking the halls while I was there. I saw plenty of them when I was there for my loads of NSTs. I made them keep my door closed because by that point, I already knew we were headed to a c/s, and the question was how long could we keep DD in. I swear there was a mom pushing every single time I walked by the room by the hall which lead to the NICU. It seemed they never kept that door closed either.


I'm rh+ as is DH, so I don't know anything about that. Sorry.

BTW, I honestly don't think that people who have not had a c/s have any right to judge those of us who have. My next births will likely be labled ERCS, but I feel I am making the wisest and safest choices for myself and future babies, as well as DH and DD.

I'm also sending out avoid the NICU wishes!!!!
intorainbowz is offline  
#136 of 1132 Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
 
Drummer's Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 11,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mama's I'm here again. I think I posted on the first page before I found out I was expecting again. Well now I'm back because it seems like no one here (denver) will let me vba3c so a cesarean it will be. I really feel sad about it, like some kind of loss. I know this tribe was started for c-section only mama's but honestly when I first posted I thought, hey just maaaaybe my next one will be vaginal. Now that I'm 13 weeks I guess I will have to come to terms with yet another c-section. The only alternative I guess would be to UC and I'm not sure that I or DH are comfy with that, after 3 c's and never giving birth vaginally before. I did talk to a few homebirth midwives but and they all were ok with vbac until I mentioned it would be a vba3c. We really can't afford to pay out of pocket anyways.

So now my plan is to find the very best OB, very best hospital and make the most out of my 4th c-section.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Drummer's Wife is offline  
#137 of 1132 Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
 
Peppermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: work-in-progress
Posts: 5,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalice View Post
Also, FWIW, I am Rh- and skipped the pregnancy dose of rhogam. Didn't need it the first pregnancy because Gracie is also -. I got the post-birth dose with Ian because he is +. Luckily my OB didn't give me any grief about it. We also skipped the eye ointment and we refused the vitamin k shot and did oral vitamin K which I purchased online and administered myself.
Thank you, and thanks to the others that discussed these concerns with me. The reason I feel like I can't make "natural" choices for the baby is basically b/c it's a hospital birth in NY. I have heard horror stories here (at MDC) about people in NY having their babies taken by CPS long enough to administer the things I want to avoid, and then returned to them, if I could birth at home with a midwife, I wouldn't have to worry about that, ykwim?

The oral Vit K is something I plan to order and have on hand too, hopefully they will not go after me about that.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Peppermint is offline  
#138 of 1132 Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
I have heard horror stories here (at MDC) about people in NY having their babies taken by CPS long enough to administer the things I want to avoid, and then returned to them,
That is despicable.

I'm so sorry you have to worry about such horrible things.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#139 of 1132 Old 10-03-2006, 02:13 PM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS2 was born via c-section Sept 27. Ian was 20.5 inches long, 8 lbs 7 oz with a head circumference of 36.5 cm.

I'm 4'7", and with that head circ, my OB felt a bit vindicated in her view that I was too small for the baby. He never engaged and she said, my cervix was still long and closed. (Also, I had gestational diabetes which increased my pregnancy risk. ha!)

She told me I had a lot of amniotic fluid and that coupled with my "large for me" baby, caused my uterus at the bottom to thin out. Because of the thinned uterus (and now having two C/S), any future babies would have to be sectioned. This is ok as we are done. Not because of this, we had decided before we even got married we wanted two.

Ian was ever so slightly jaundiced for one day, and became a sleepy baby. My milk came in a day late, you guys probably know the C/S drill.... Ian dropped more than 10% but we managed to get discharged and my midwife has been dropping by to check him out. We spent all day Sat and night pumping leftover milk and feeding it as supplement at the next feeding. He gained 3oz and I may have pumped a total of 3/4 oz all day so we figured he was getting enough without pumping.

I'm still a bit uncomfortable but I'm healing.

(Gotta love one hand typing!!)

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#140 of 1132 Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
 
medeanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joisey Baby!
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A c-section mama here. I was planning on NC with my twins until DD, who was Baby A went breach on me. Despite all the Webster, frozen peas and standing on my head underwater for 20-30 seconds a pop to get the little one to flip. As it turned out her legs were caught in my pelvis and couldn't turn around.

I chose the hospital for their bright airy rooms, but it turned out that the c-section room was dark, near windowless as it has tons of construction scaffolding blocking the view...and I was stuck there for the whole weekend, even though I was the only patient in the ward (very tiny hospital) and they were certainly able to move me. This was my only chance to have children and it did not go as I had really hoped and frankly I still feel like a statistic.

But one thing I do not regret is the fact that the midwives did my entire pre-natal care and I really believe it made all the difference in my making it to 38w1d.

So when I meet an expectant mother of twins, I ALWAYS recommend them to see a midwife for care rather than an OB; regardless of whether they are aiming for natural childbirth or not. A good competant CNM will know when to say, "I have to stop here and refer you to a doctor."

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
medeanj is offline  
#141 of 1132 Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 PM
 
intorainbowz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Crying into my Diet Coke.
Posts: 3,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
I have a couple of questions that are c-section related.
I wish I could ask all of these questions on the regular forums, but I can't spend a ton of time defending my c-sections, BTDT here quite a few times.

I feel like because I am *choosing* a repeat c-section, I don't get to make choices for the baby that are "natural". I just want what is best for the little Bean....
:

I just made the mistake of wandering around the net and finding a place where home births etc were the topic of discussion. It was a specific discussion which prompted these emotions.

I wanna go into labor. I wanna push. I don't want to be judged because my baby was born through my abdomen, not my vagina. I had a medically necessary c/s and I still feel that I am, at least emotionally, defending this. I know that had I not had a c/s DD would not have been alive. Had I done UP, there is no chance in hell DD would be alive. I would never do UP, and would likely never do a home birth, but those choices are gone from me forever. There is no way I could in good concience have a "low tech" pregnancy. I will likely be high risk as the growth problems can happen at any time in the pregnancy. I would be terrified that without regular u/s we would miss IUGR in my next pregnancy.

I guess I'm sad for what will not be. Hopefully, my next pregnancy will be easy, followed by a ERCS - at least on paper. I know that due to uterine malformations, two uterine surgeries, etc, I am at a high risk for rupture, and do not feel the need to "prove" anything, not when I knowingly risk my daughter being without a mother. My next c/s will and won't be elective, due to the risks, but I feel I will have to defend this even more, than I feel I need to defend my first c/s.

Another poster on another board said that having a c/s you miss the best part of having a baby - the having of the baby. Am I less of a momma because I never felt a contraction? Or does the 2 months spent on bed rest compensate for that? How about the 48 days in the NICU, being told when and how I can hold DD, how I can mother her? Am I less of a momma because I won't push out baby number 2? If I have a baby number 2? I DESPARATELY want another baby, but am terrified of going through this again.

And what IF I chose a primary c/s? Does that make me a bad person?, a bad mommy? I would say no, it does not.

I don't think I am less a mommy because I did not labor. I feel I am her mommy. I was her mommy since before she was concieved, and by my religious beliefs, I will be her mommy for eternity. By the same token, my Bro and SIL are hoping to adopt, and I firmly believe that she will be a mommy just the same as I, even though she did not get pregnant at all.

Honestly, I don't have c/s issues like so many others do. My c/s was not forced on me, it was an educated decision made with the guidance of a OB whom I trust. I trusted her with mine and DD's lives, and she cared for us and helped me bring my baby to life in the only way possible, by c/s. I do not feel I was birth abused, frankly the abuse occured in the NICU, mostly by a fellow social worker. I feel how I was treated by her is part of why I am getting out of child welfare. (The fact I hate my supervisor helps that one too.) I will miss child welfare. I will miss the children. I just don't want to be as involved a social worker as before, as I'm terrified that I'll repeat what the social worker did to me.

I too want what is best for my next bean, and I did what was best for this bean, the bean currently currled up on my bed.

Maybe this is my white flag in the mommy wars. Maybe I'm asserting that my birth is just as valid as anyone elses. Life came from my womb, a life for which we were terrified would never come because of infertility. You can be a mommy without giving birth, as through adoption.

So am I, other women who did not birth vaginally, and mommy's by adoption lesser mommies? No. I'm not attacking any one else's position I'm just stating mine.

I wanted to vaginally birth. My body was not made to do that. My uterus is deformed, and I am blessed it was able to contain my baby long enough to give life.

That's all I have to say now. Thanks for reading.
intorainbowz is offline  
#142 of 1132 Old 10-04-2006, 12:13 AM
 
Debstmomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I prefer REALITY, How about You????
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wendy, beautifully said! I agree...it does not matter if you baby comes out your hoo ha that makes you a mother, or a better mother, or less of a person. It is how you love your child & parent them that matters. (Oh how I could go on a tagent, but won't)

Just wanted to say your words are perfect.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Debstmomy is offline  
#143 of 1132 Old 10-04-2006, 12:39 AM
 
jannyjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central VA
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally have given birth both ways. Am I a better mother or more of a mother to the child I was able to birth vaginally? H*LL NO. Am I less of a mother to the 3 children I have already given birth to by c section? NO again. Do I sometimes miss that when we conceive again I will not be able to give birth vaginally, but by cesarean again, yes. But I am just happy to know that I have 4 wonderful children no matter how they were birthed. Birthing is such a short part of a child's lifetime that it is a shame that we can be judged as a parent by how we birth them. :
jannyjo is offline  
#144 of 1132 Old 10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
 
RosesArePurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OTP - Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wendy,

Well said!

I will say, at this last c-section, because I went into it cold and didn't panic like last time, I was able to really know when ds was pulled out. I cried like a very happy girl! Would I have had a similar emotional response vaginally? well, I'll never know. And I'll have to be ok with that. I'm sure I will.

I just try to remember there are lots of things I can't or won't ever get to do, and vaginal birth is just one of them.

Thanks for writing what you did.

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
RosesArePurple is offline  
#145 of 1132 Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 PM
 
coloradoalice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know Wendy, and you articulated things very well.

I have decided that I refuse to have someone else invalidate my birth. I talk to my friends about it just as they talk about theirs. We all have regrets, we all have happy moments, and it's not up to anyone to decide what anothers experience means. I will not let anyone take that from me. I did my best, as we all do. If someone is threatened by that or is ignorant and can't understand that, it's their loss.

It's easy to be critical. But walk in my shoes, make my decisions, feel my pain. Blanket statements about how we miss out just won't fly for me. I go to birth and beyond occasionally, and I have spoken up about how calous some of the statements people make are. I have been flamed. But I don't care. My experience is just as good as the next persons. If they don't like it, they can shove it.
coloradoalice is offline  
#146 of 1132 Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
 
ToothFairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalice View Post
My experience is just as good as the next persons. If they don't like it, they can shove it.

:
ToothFairy is offline  
#147 of 1132 Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
 
*andiflipping*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: My magical little land
Posts: 1,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing...
*andiflipping* is offline  
#148 of 1132 Old 10-22-2006, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
 
Silvercrest79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Silvercrest79 is offline  
#149 of 1132 Old 10-22-2006, 02:01 AM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey y'all. Went to a double shower yesterday for two women in my playgroup. Both of them are pg with their third baby and all of their children have been born vaginally. We got talking about births and I found myself getting really worked up about my birth experiences again.

That's the one thing I wish... that I could talk about my children's births and not get diarrhea of the mouth, waxing philosophical about all that could have been. I don't even see it happening, but all of a sudden I see the eyes glazing over, I sense the waning of attention, like I'm talking to myself because everyone has tuned out.
mamameg is offline  
#150 of 1132 Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
 
Mearaina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: wrapped in a blanket of love
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. I have a question for you all. My SIL is having her second C-section next month, her first son was born by emergency c-section 2 years ago. I was wondering if you had any good ideas for a gift for her for after the birth. I have never had a section and don't really know what might be helpful to her. I know after her last one she was in a great deal of pain for weeks. I want to surprise her with something nice. Any ideas? TIA

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
Mearaina is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off