All children by C-section tribe )_( - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieandchris View Post
With DD, my uterine scar had thinned so badly that the OB had remove part of my uterus and do extensive repair. This OB was my back-up homebirth OB, and is very pro-homebirth. He told me that he felt my uterus would have ruptured quickly because of the thinning he saw.
Marie, I know this is kind of an old post, but I was wondering. Do you think the thinning of your uterus had anything to do with your DD's positioning? It seems like a breech position would put more pressure on the scar. Have any studies been done on positioning and uterine rupture?

ETA: Not trying to thread-crash here, I just found this particular case interesting because of the positioning. DS was a C-section for breech positioning when my water broke at 37 weeks. I do hope to have a HBAC for my next baby (whenever that may be), so I'm not really part of this tribe, but it is comforting to read the experiences of mamas who are at peace with their C-sections, when I'm not 100% at peace with mine.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shantell -

My little girl is transverse right now and i have been told that UR are very high if i end up going into labour with her. I have chosen to deliver early because of this and my heart can not handle contractions (I had the challenge test). UR has been my biggest fear with this pregnancy as my incision opened up about 2 weeks after DS birth and was gushing blood and I had to drive myself to the ER with my newborn baby (DH and my family met me there) I had to have it repaired and it always has felt weaker and tingle on that side.
#183 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 PM

Yup I always feel like i'm less of a mom here because i had a c/s. this baby will be a c/s too, but i feel with all the complications of this pregancy i don't feel gulity about this one.
#184 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki_73 View Post
Yup I always feel like i'm less of a mom here because i had a c/s. this baby will be a c/s too, but i feel with all the complications of this pregancy i don't feel gulity about this one.

Thats one thing I don't feel. I know I'm a good mom and I'm doing what is best for my children. In my case, I still ruptured (without tempting a vbac) so theres always that risk. Once you have a cesarean there is always that risk whether you vbac or not. So don't feel guilty. You , me and all of us who have no choice are by no means less of moms than people who have homebirths or vaginal deliveries. My children are loved & taken care of.
When are you scheduled?When I get pregnant next time, I was told I will definately not go pass 37 weeks. They will schedule a cesarean for then, but leave it open to earlier while evaluating my scar in the last trimester.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#185 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Hi all! I'd like to join. I have two girls. My first was an emerg c/s after 79 hours of labor and a failed forceps attempt that left me hemmoraging. I don't remember much beyond day 2. My second was a planned c/s. I have an oddly shaped pelvis that won't allow a baby to pass through the birth canal. I wish I'd known that before the first nightmare of a labor.

I used to feel like I missed out but after having years to think about it I realised that I'm lucky to have my children and lucky to be able to have more if I wish. I would have died in childbirth if I'd been born even 30 years earlier.

Glad to have found a tribe.
#186 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie2 View Post
Hi all! I'd like to join. I have two girls. My first was an emerg c/s after 79 hours of labor and a failed forceps attempt that left me hemmoraging. I don't remember much beyond day 2. My second was a planned c/s. I have an oddly shaped pelvis that won't allow a baby to pass through the birth canal. I wish I'd known that before the first nightmare of a labor.

I used to feel like I missed out but after having years to think about it I realised that I'm lucky to have my children and lucky to be able to have more if I wish. I would have died in childbirth if I'd been born even 30 years earlier.

Glad to have found a tribe.
Ditto!I can not have babies vaginally (without dying that is) either! Welcome to the tribe!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

#187 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I felt that way for about a minute after DD1 was born. Then I realized that I was a better mother for listening to what was going on with my body and having the c/s. If I hadn't gone to the hospital and had the c/s then I wouldn't be here, and my 3 younger children wouldn't either, leaving my DS1 alone.
#188 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM

i read the birth rites story on delivering you baby c/s-helping to guide out after insicion-great stuff. will talk w/ ob next week about it. we should start an odd shaped pelvis tribe!!!!i am in the same boat. as was my mom and gmom. this is why i posted on b+b about having a c/s board. there are something that mdc just seems to not get-like every person is diifferent. i choose to have 2 repeat c/s rather than risk the life of my child. i also circ-though for not the normal reasons, but i still co sleep, ebf, cd, bw, gd unschool etc... does that make any less crunchy-i think not.

LET ME SAY THIS TO ALL THE GREAT MAMAS HERE-JUST BECAUSE YOUR CHILD COMES FROM YOUR BELLY MAKES TO NO LESS OF A MOTHER!!!!!!! i will get off my soap box now.
#189 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Marie, I know this is kind of an old post, but I was wondering. Do you think the thinning of your uterus had anything to do with your DD's positioning? It seems like a breech position would put more pressure on the scar. Have any studies been done on positioning and uterine rupture?
After my last C/S I was told that my uterous had thinned out, ds was head down. She said in my case it was probably due to his weight (8 lbs 6oz) and the large volume of amnionic fluid.
(i'm 4'7")

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#190 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks06457 View Post
i read the birth rites story on delivering you baby c/s-helping to guide out after insicion-great stuff. will talk w/ ob next week about it. we should start an odd shaped pelvis tribe!!!!i am in the same boat. as was my mom and gmom. this is why i posted on b+b about having a c/s board. there are something that mdc just seems to not get-like every person is diifferent. i choose to have 2 repeat c/s rather than risk the life of my child. i also circ-though for not the normal reasons, but i still co sleep, ebf, cd, bw, gd unschool etc... does that make any less crunchy-i think not.

LET ME SAY THIS TO ALL THE GREAT MAMAS HERE-JUST BECAUSE YOUR CHILD COMES FROM YOUR BELLY MAKES TO NO LESS OF A MOTHER!!!!!!! i will get off my soap box now.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

#191 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz3 View Post
Thats one thing I don't feel. I know I'm a good mom and I'm doing what is best for my children. In my case, I still ruptured (without tempting a vbac) so theres always that risk. Once you have a cesarean there is always that risk whether you vbac or not. So don't feel guilty. You , me and all of us who have no choice are by no means less of moms than people who have homebirths or vaginal deliveries. My children are loved & taken care of.
When are you scheduled?When I get pregnant next time, I was told I will definately not go pass 37 weeks. They will schedule a cesarean for then, but leave it open to earlier while evaluating my scar in the last trimester.
I'm scheduled for 37w ish probably 36.5, a couple days before christmas. The OB wanted to do it for the 23rd of December but i asked for the 21 because the 23 is DH's 30th birthday and i would like to know for sure that i will be home for christmas too. I did leave the hospital after 28 hours with DS but you never know what is going to happen when you are having surgery.

I am starting to feel better about my first c/s because i read the hospital report and it makes it very clear that there was no chance DS was coming out.
#192 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I am starting to feel better about my first c/s because i read the hospital report and it makes it very clear that there was no chance DS was coming out.
Forgive this stupid question, but how did you get your hospital report?

Mom to Wm and Ian , happily unschooling
#193 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I'm scheduled for 37w ish probably 36.5, a couple days before christmas. The OB wanted to do it for the 23rd of December but i asked for the 21 because the 23 is DH's 30th birthday and i would like to know for sure that i will be home for christmas too. I did leave the hospital after 28 hours with DS but you never know what is going to happen when you are having surgery.

Yeah that sounds about right...have u been having BH?

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

#194 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
Forgive this stupid question, but how did you get your hospital report?
I asked my midwives for it. As we are in Canada we are able to have copies of any of our medical reports. Just ask if you want your they have to give it to you.
#195 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I asked my midwives for it. As we are in Canada we are able to have copies of any of our medical reports. Just ask if you want your they have to give it to you.

I have a copy of my whole freaking file from my pregnancy with my second dd. I had kidney stones, low bp and a plancental tear and my doctor finally copied the whole thing for me since I had a huge battle with short term disability for coverage while I was on bedrest. We basically threw it at them. lol I got a check soon after.
#196 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesArePurple View Post
After my last C/S I was told that my uterous had thinned out, ds was head down. She said in my case it was probably due to his weight (8 lbs 6oz) and the large volume of amnionic fluid.
(i'm 4'7")
I know it happens in vertex babies too, I was just thinking that it may be more common in breech babes because of the unusual pressure.

ETA: I got the records for both myself and my son by calling the records department for my hospital. The surgical report was missing for some reason, but everything else was there. If you tell them it's for a new doctor, they might not charge you the copying fee.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#197 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
My point to this is - how does my plan sound to the mamas who ahve been through a rupture? The new Doctors seem so confident they don't even classify me as "high risk", they are just taking the precautions mentioned above, and we have an agreement to schedule a repeat between 38-39 weeks, earlier if the contractions aren't held off by the magnesium.
It really depends on the doctor. Mine would write high risk in my charts but he really didn't do anything extra special. I did see a perinatal doctor for two second level ultrasounds where in neither did they see a window. I was also over the dangerous cut off for being too thin on my lower uterine segment. With my Dr's consent we continued planning for a trial of labor in the hospital.

I hold neither my midwife nor my doctor to blame. Neither of them influenced my decision although they both blame themselves (which really breaks my heart). We made our plans on what we felt was right at the time on the research we had done.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#198 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks06457 View Post
the window thing makes you wonder if it is due to poor surgical repair. i know that some obs close with single sutures-as mine said "why any one would do that is beyond me, it's like parachuting with out insurance". she closes like a plastic surgeon-doubleeverything. just read http://www.birthrires.org/oliverBS.html-can't wait to ask my ob about this.

shantell-i am deeply sorry about your loss. I guess God needed another angel.
In my case it was NOT due to poor surgical repair. The Dr who sewed me up after my dehisence did a two layer closure including one long continuous thread of long disolving suture material (6-9 month disolve time). She also took out all the adhesions that she could so everything was as clean as it could be to repair itself. My husband saw the window and watched her do the repair work. She did a very good job.

I had a window on a single layer closure and a rupture on a two layer. Personally I think two layers are safer. I agree with "why any one would do that is beyond me, it's like parachuting with out insurance". The fact that I ruptured on a two layer I feel is unique to me, and others who may not heal as well as most people do, or those with a history of really bad odds (like I always have had). I'm not supersitious but it wasn't the first one in a million thing to happen to me.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#199 of 1132 Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Thread closed for moderator review. Thanks for your patience!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#200 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 12:00 AM

OK, mamas, I am going to open this back up again.

We realize that it's important for you to have a safe place to discuss your feelings and experiences. However, please note that tribal threads may NOT be used to vent against other threads/forums. This is not only against the rules of Finding Your Tribe:
Posting in a tribe thread about a thread or posts elsewhere is against the rules.

Quote:
This is against the rules as it results in thread invasions and flaming between boards.

I know everyone would like to be able to talk freely among their own tribe but without having private tribe boards it is impossible and we can not open an endless number of private boards for such a purpose.

If you need to vent about a thread or issue in another forum please keep it to pm or email.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=168763

but is against the User Agreement as well:
Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
#7 Posting to discuss the statements or behavior of a member or members on the board, or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Such issues should be directed to the moderator or administrator privately and not made a subject of discussion in a thread.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#201 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 01:15 AM

I apologize, that was my doing!!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

#202 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 AM

Seriously, it's all good. I wish you all a peaceful and warm space here on MDC!

#203 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM

phew-got scared there for a minute-thought the thread was closing. my proposal thread in b+b got closed, but i'm ok with that. it was in the wrong place-live and learn.
silvercrest79-have youread this: http://www.birthrites.org/OliverBS.html might be a good option for you-a c-sec as naturally as possible-i am going to try to get to do this.
#204 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM

That is really interesting. I had recently been thinking of the skin to skin thing in the OR, but- I wondered,would my temp be such as to be able to regulate the baby (as it would in a vaingal- interevention-free birth)? I know I had chills after my births while in recovery. I plan to not allow the baby to leave the OR without me unless there is a problem with the baby, but- am just wondering if I will have a normal temp for the skin-to-skin part.

I loved reading that story, but- I couldn't do the pull the baby out thing myself, it is great that she did. Having the baby in recovery with the mom is normal here, thank goodness!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#205 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Peppermint - this would be my concern - Forgive me if I'm confused here - but you've never had a planned C-section, right? (I mean all were after labor) - you may not have noticed in all the rush to surgery, the OR is often really cold. My last one was planned so I actually walked into the OR completely normally and man, I was freezing! I would be concerned about the baby getting unwrapped from the blankets to place on my chest - which I think would probably be pretty cold since you are pretty much wearing nothing. Sure I bet we'd warm up after a while, but my guess is it wouldn't be all that pleasant an experience for the baby, kwim? They also had the drape pretty far up on my body both times - above my chest, not a lot of room for that (though I'm not sure why it was that high)
And my guess is most hospitals wouldn't break protocol and just place the baby on your chest immediately after birth. Sorry, I don't mean to come off really negative about it, I just think it would be a hard sell. I realize that the woman in the story managed it, but..

You could have Daddy do it, though he may get a surprise when the baby latches on

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#206 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 02:33 PM

I think we are saying the same thing, MightyMoo. I did actually have all 3 planned c-sections, and I was super cold, even with the warm blankets being layered on me. So- while the skin to skin thing appeals to me (just read it in the link above my last post) I am not sure it would work. I do think having the baby right there with me and dh, wrapped up well, is not at all unreasonable, so long as there are no breathing problems, etc.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#207 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
I think we are saying the same thing, MightyMoo. I did actually have all 3 planned c-sections, and I was super cold, even with the warm blankets being layered on me. So- while the skin to skin thing appeals to me (just read it in the link above my last post) I am not sure it would work. I do think having the baby right there with me and dh, wrapped up well, is not at all unreasonable, so long as there are no breathing problems, etc.

Oh, I guess I read that and thought you meant afterwards, not during the surgery. Sorry!

With both of mine, we were at fabulous hospitals (different ones, but they are affiliated) and they were great about basically taking hte baby out of me, showing the baby to me, cleaning up, weighing her (with DH right there) and once they were done (didn't take long 5 min maybe?) - DH and I oggled the baby while they closed, the baby never left DH's or my arms after that, they were always in the room with me (DH carried both babies from the OR to recovery, etc). Honestly, I felt my last surgical birth was as fabulous as one could be. The real thing that made it great for me was they were good about my request not to give me anything htat made me feel out of it (like I did with DD) and after we got back to recovery they left us alone - they didn't come and start all those little annoying procedures (eye gook or Vit K, etc not that we did all of them) but they didn't even try to do that for at least an hour or more, so we really felt like we could enjoy the moment.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#208 of 1132 Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 PM

Hi guys! I'm new to this tribe, but it's only because I didn't see it. I am the incredibly proud mother to two awesome boys, one is 3 yo and the other is 8 mo and they were both born via c/s.

My first son was supposed to be a vaginal delivery until right before he crowned, and I had to have a c/s due to fetal distress. My second was supposed to be a vbac, but after I went to 42 weeks and had high bp and pretty severe bronchitis (now THAT was fun!), the midwives decided he would be better off as a c/s babe too.

How do I feel about both of my babies being born via c/s? Well, not so bad really. I was so worried that something terrible was going to happen do ds1 that I was thrilled that he was born healthy. For ds2, I was a little sad that he was not born vaginally, but we had a very empowered c/s birth. We worked with midwives, had a very...er..agressive doula who was an incredible advocate and partner, and my husband knew what he had to do to make the birth as close to what we wanted as we could. In the end, it was really okay.

I was awake and present for my son's birth, he was with my husband every second when I was being sewn up, we skipped all of the hospital rigamorole (bathing, shots, heat lamps, etc.) afterwards and I had him and was nursing him less than 1/2 hour after his birth. All of this was at a conservative hospital in Pittsburgh - not a medically crunchy-friendly town!

I would love to share with others how they can too make their c/s an empowering birth. It is possible! I don't know what I will do with my next child. I would like one more, but I am going to take things as they come. I would love to have a vba2c!
#209 of 1132 Old 11-05-2006, 04:48 AM

For my next c/s, If we are talking preemie again, I WILL require that the curtain is lowered, and that I can reach up and touch my babe before he/she leaves for the NICU. I also now know I can watch in the lights above, otherwise, my c/s was a wonderful experience. I plan on using the same OB.

If we are not talking preemie, I will advocate that all the post birth assessing be done in the c/s room. At the hospital where DD was born, and where my insurance and ob both go, the baby leaves the room for this. I will work to have this happen, although it might be a space issue and not possible. The room is rather small. Anyway, the place where they assess the babies is just off the NICU, and I really don't want my baby anywhere near there if I don't have to.

Oh, I'll stand up to the nurse again about leaving my contacts in... smirk.

FYI.... There is a c/s ribbon here on MDC. It is the upside down red ribbon, like our common incisions. I'd like to encourage all c/s mommies to place this ribbon in our siggys, to show our common sisterhood of having a belly birth. :
#210 of 1132 Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 PM

Hi, can I join you ladies?

I had a c-section with my son after 34 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing. He was 9 lb 13 oz and posterior and I have a funny shaped pelvis, so that's why they ended up resorting to the c-section. Unfortunately, I have a bleeding disorder (unknown at the time) and because of that and that my uterus was so tired from the very long labor, I ended up hemorraging severely and needed 4 blood transfusions. Thankfully DS was born screaming and perfectly healthy, but the whole experience left me a mess. I felt so disconnected from DS and didn't feel like he was my baby for at least a couple months. It was very traumatic and as a result, I suffered post partum depression and was afraid to even consider having another baby for quite some time. Now my DS is 3.5 years old and I am pregnant again and due to have a planned c-section on November 17th.

I have come to terms with my previous c-section, but part of me is still quite terrified of having a repeat of last time. I wrote out a very detailed birth plan, specifying that I wanted the sheet lowered, I did not want my baby taken off to the nursery for hours away from me (unless of course medically necessary), I wanted to room-in, etc. My doctor has been very supportive and signed off on my plan, but I am still quite nervous. Logically, I know that this c-section will almost certainly go better than the last one - no hours of labor to contend with, the doctors are aware of my bleeding disorder and are taking special steps to prevent hemorraging this time, etc. but I am still afraid.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Or tips?

Also, I saw a previous poster mentioned something about sticking up to the nurse about wearing contacts. I haven't asked anyone about this yet, but is that ok to wear contacts during surgery? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I would much prefer that than glasses...

Thanks!

~Erika, wife to Nate / Mom to Nathan, Emily, and Joshua

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page