Scheduled C-Section cause the baby is estimated @ 9 lbs. - *Update* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
?????

I just got off the phone w/my sil who's heading off to a baby shower for a friend of hers. The friend isn't due for 4 weeks, but she's having a section in 10 days 'cause the dr. estimates the baby to be big. And this woman has already delivered another child vaginally. But, according to my sil, the friend, "had to really push hard" to get her 9# daughter out. I just listened to my sil flabbergasted... I just can't imagine agreeing to having myself cut open two weeks early without even really knowing anything! Those estimates can be off by 2 pounds!!! :sigh:

OK, I'm done now. I just wanted to share with people who might understand my shock, 'cause my sil & her friend think it's all just ducky.

I finally got an update from my sil about her friend. Her estimated due date was 8/23 & she was scheduled for a section on 8/9. On 8/6 she went out to dinner & her water broke! So off she went to the hospital where she delivered a 10# 6 oz. baby boy... via c-section.

At least the baby got to pick his own birthday... kind of!
#2 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

That is all.
#3 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 PM

It's hard to hear stories like that.

I had a friend who recently had her first. She did have a c/s after a few hours of labor. When the baby was born and found to be an 8 1/2 pounder, the docs said they would have scheduled the c/s if they had known it was that big! : But, since the u/s said the baby was barely a 7#er, they "let" her labor.

I'll never understand the reasoning and why there aren't more women who question their docs when they tell them this.
#4 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:44 PM

I can relate to your frustration. These women have no clue as to the power they could be experiencing, birthing, and nurturing as was intended. Of my 6 babies, two were under 9 lbs, two were under 10 and two were 10lbs. I am so glad I didn't fall for the"too big" crap and go under the knife. How do you get all the cute little symbols on the bottom of your writings?
#5 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 PM

Yep, happens all the time. My friend was induced three and a half weeks early because OB said the baby was well over 8 pounds and would be close to 10 pounds by her due date. So they induced and baby came out weighing a whopping 6lbs 1oz. He spent the day in an incubator as his lungs needed "a bit of help" but he was perfectly healthy, don't ya know.
#6 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:46 PM

Let us know how big the babe turns out to be. I hate these stories.
#7 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbirth
... How do you get all the cute little symbols on the bottom of your writings?
Go to "user CP" towards the top left of your screen & then select "edit signature" But remember... you can only have 2 lines of text!
#8 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM

I hate drs like that! ds was estimated to be nearly 9lbs a month before I was induced.......when he was born he was 8lb 9oz.

I have a freind that delivers both her 10lber kids vaginally with no painkillers, and she didnt have GD or anything else.
#9 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
Yep, happens all the time. My friend was induced three and a half weeks early because OB said the baby was well over 8 pounds and would be close to 10 pounds by her due date. So they induced and baby came out weighing a whopping 6lbs 1oz. He spent the day in an incubator as his lungs needed "a bit of help" but he was perfectly healthy, don't ya know.
That's just what I'm thinking. I am praying that she goes into labor the day before she's scheduled... at least then the baby would actually be ready to be born.
#10 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Wow. And here I was thinking that painwise, I had an easier time laboring and birthing ds (shoulder dystocia aside) at 10 pounds 4 ounces than I did his 7 pound 12 ounce big sister. I certainly tore less with him -- he weighed more, but her head was bigger, and fat is squishy!

ETA: And that would be a drug-free birth, I should say.
#11 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:52 PM

I know a lady that had a c-section because her baby was suppose to be 10 lbs. The baby was actually 7 lbs. I would have been PO'd.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#12 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:53 PM

These stories are horrifying, but sadly not surprising

I can say that I had to "push really hard" to birth my 7#8 oz baby, but my 8#12 oz baby was a breeze ! But the reactions I get when someone finds out that my DD was 'nearly 9 lbs' is priceless - I think fully 1/2 the people who know automatically asume I had an epidural and should have had a section - the rest know that she was an unassisted home waterbirth !

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#13 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM

I had gestational diabetes with my first and I consented to the induction (but a week after her due date) because I was told she'd be too big what with going over and the GD. She was a tiny little 6 pounds, 11 ounces. And the induction was soooooo not worth it. My second was 8 pounds and much easier.
#14 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm sorry but her ob must be an idiot. Hope everything goes well for her and the baby.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#15 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:57 PM

With ds2 (first biological child) I had an ultrasound Sept 7th. They estimated him to be over 7 lbs and said that we might need to go ahead with a c/s. I had the u/s because he had been breach up until the night before !
They started talking about going ahead and scheduling one on the 15th. He was due (according to them) Oct 10th and they couldn't get over how far I always measured.. of course they also wouldn't listen when I told them I knew the dates so I just ignored their date!
I didn't agree to a c/s or induction and went on to have my baby Sept 24th which was 2 days before *my* due date. He was 8lbs 7 1/2 oz. I had to laugh when they put down 37 weeks and went on and on about how if he had been born near his due date that he would have been 12 lbs. I still haven't found out why that would have been a problem! :
Just goes to show you that their due dates mean diddly!!

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
#16 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 01:58 PM

I was also told that my baby would be 10+ pounds. I was supposed to report to the hospital to be induced with a likely c/sec. I just kept not showing up at the hospital and I when I finally went into labor (3 weeks late), I just went to a different hospital where I didn't know anyone. Baby ended up being 6.10 at 43 weeks. Think how small she would have been if I had let them take her at 38-40 weeks. During those last few weeks where I kept not showing up at the hospital, the dr's office sent me some scary and threatening letters. I can see how other woman get bullied into doing what their doctor says.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#17 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife
I'm sorry but her ob must be an idiot. Hope everything goes well for her and the baby.
I totally agree! I will be getting his/her name to be sure that I never deal with him/her. (Although, I doubt I'll ever stop seeing my nmw)
#18 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM

My sisters friend was induced early b/c of a 'huge' baby. Induction failed, c-section happened. 'huge baby' turned out to be 6lb 11oz.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#19 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:28 PM

ick ick ick ick....
#20 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:34 PM

When babies are born at 6 pounds and need to be in the NICU for days after c-sections for "suspected macrocosmia" why don't people sue? Is it just that they're embarrassed to admit that they fell for the lies? If I was stupid enough to fall for some OB telling me "your baby'll be *huge* you need a c-section NOW!" I'd be willing to publicly admit I was stupid and gullible in order to denouce the sOB as a manipulating liar.
#21 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 PM

I had a 10 lb. 2 oz. baby at home with no meds and pushed him out 15 minutes with no trauma.
Soooo incredibly ridiculous.
#22 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM

I went with a client to a CNM appt and the CNM told me she was absolutely 100% CERTAIN that the baby was 11lbs. Suuuuuuuuuuure. Client ended up having a c-s (long story) and the baby was 9.5 -- pretty big, but nowhere near 11lbs. Gah. :
#23 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM

one of the things I don't understand - I mean besides the obvious - is why the OBs schedule a section two weeks early. If you accept the baby is going to be large and won't be born vaginally (willing suspension of disbelief here!) what is the harm of letting it cook until 40 weeks? They schedule all these unnecessary sections weeks early and end up with babies being born under-developed. I fail to see the logic behind it.
#24 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach
one of the things I don't understand - I mean besides the obvious - is why the OBs schedule a section two weeks early. If you accept the baby is going to be large and won't be born vaginally (willing suspension of disbelief here!) what is the harm of letting it cook until 40 weeks? They schedule all these unnecessary sections weeks early and end up with babies being born under-developed. I fail to see the logic behind it.
I hear you!

I think that their warped mentality is that they don't want the woman to go into labor 'cause then they might need to do an emergency section instead of a scheduled one. :
#25 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 PM

it is so discouraging to hear this.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#26 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach
cause there's less chance of going into labor thus requiring an unscheduled c-section. Not near as convenient as a scheduled one is for the OB and hospital staff. Also, I'm sure it's easier to pull the baby out the incision if it's smaller rather than larger. Not really good logic IMO but it happens all the time.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#27 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM

I gave birth to a 9lb 50z baby with no drugs, not episiotimy, no IV, no monitor, at 18 years old in a hot tub! And that's after she got stuck inside me and I had to march all over the room to get her unstuck. If I had been in the hosptial I bet I would've been sectioned or induced weeks before b/c of a "big baby" : She still had vernix on her, too.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#28 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Big babies can be born vaginally with no problems. My first was 9lbs 13oz, born at a hospital. After that, I went on to have a 9lber and a 10lb 8ozer at home unassisted.

My last child was my biggest, and the shortest labor out of all of 'em. 5 ½ hours of labor to get that guy out!
#29 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 PM

I think there needs to be a poll called "Do you personally know someone who had a c/s for a supposedly big baby that turned out to be not veyr big at all?" I just don't get why people odn't question more things! I see it all the time though. Women looked completely shocked when I tell they don't HAVE TO do anything their doctor says and that they HAVE A CHOICE BECUASE IT IS THEIR BIRTH. I have seen more jaws drop than I ever thought I would. It's sad.

Namaste, Tara
#30 of 107 Old 07-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Had a friend 2 years ago now that was induced because of GD. They didn't want the baby getting too big. Poor thing weighed 5 lbs 9 oz! She was teeny tiny! I didn't talk to them about how they felt about the induction but they didn't seem very happy.

Then I was talking to another lady. Her baby was the same age as mine and she was relating her horror story of a birth. Epidural and huge episiotomy for shoulder dystocia because her baby was soooo big. Just under 9 lbs. I said Oh thats too bad. I had such an easy labor with mine, at home too. Then she asked how big he was when he was born...Oh he was 9 lbs. The look on her face was priceless. She was soooo proud she could share her horror story. She never said another word about it.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page