Video of crowning (graphic be warned) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend gave me this link and I think it is great so wanted to share!

It is a birth video of a Danish - quite ordinary/standard - hospital birth. No big drama - except to the people involved. It is VERY graphic (be warned - hope that wont offend anyone - if so then dont look) but I think it is great for once to see an uncencored actual crowning. I also love that the sound is there - every bit of it..

This is the summary:
The midwife talks her through in Danish - to give you the most important clues mainly she is telling her that she is doing really well and that she is almost done. She also tells her to push gently during crowning - and after the head is born she tells the birthing mother to wait for the next contraction.

At one point the MW stretches the perineum with her fingers - this obviously hurts the birthing mother and the MW sais right after "Im sorry - I know that I was being mean to you" (I know some of you will notice this part and wonder)

Enjoy:

http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/fam-nielsen-/2142194#

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#2 of 65 Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Nothing happens when I press the play button, the screen just changes size and goes black.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#3 of 65 Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM

okay I feel 2 ways

1- WOW what a glorious birth!
2- WOW what a terrible position that poor mama was in! how totally uncomfortable!!!!!

Oh how I love homebirth...

way cool flick - thanks for sharing!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#4 of 65 Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 PM

Cool beans....UGH I just CANT give birth on my back....I had Henri squatting at the end of my bed. I had to be in the position this mama was in to be checked a few times and it was terrible! I hope she wasnt as uncomfortable as I would have been!
#5 of 65 Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 AM

I so cannot imagine birthing in that position, but WOW what an excellent video.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#6 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 01:07 PM

Ina,
Thanks so much for the link. For those of us who have never seen a birth, this is fascinating. Mom seemed positive, which is the important thing. But typical, flat on her back. Looks like a big, healthy baby. I wonder how much tearing she had.

PS - do you know if any midwives have any birthing videos? Or where else I could get one in DK? I don't meet my mw for another 2 weeks. Idiotic Skejby rules - you meet your consultations mw first time in week 28!
#7 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Is the standard/norm to have an internal monitor on the baby? The midwife was suctioning the baby before it was out. What was the mom breathing (oh is that laughing gas?)?
Then the midwife moved in and was cutting the cord when the video stopped, I wonder what happened? How much did the baby weigh? I didn't know if it showed the weight written there somewhere.
I could not imagine having that on my website.... but good for her showing that you can have a vaginal birth!
My dh's cousin is signing up for her elective c-section, they are trying to pick a date. Oh, did I mention that she is 14 weeks so they are trying to decide what week in February to have the baby! : Not to mention that I am a Doula and CBE and offered to do it all for free as my gift to them. She politely declined and the family thinks that I am radical for thinking she should at least try a vaginal birth!!! :

Mama to my own amazing children..student midwife..home birth activist..and gestational surrogate-twin boys weighing 7lbs3oz & 8lbs4oz...vaginal, unmedicated forced induction @ 38w5d
#8 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 02:53 PM

That was really neat! Thanks for sharing.

Is it common for it to take so long to push the body out? With DS, I crowned, and withing a minute the head was out and so was he. I couldn't imagine laying there with just the head out for so long.
#9 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM

I would have loved to see more videos like this back when I was pregnant. It was all I could talk about. "Why do they censor everything? I just want to see the baby come out!!"

(Yeah, so she was on her back... at least you could see it... wish there were more movies with other positions though...)
#10 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Hrmph. I get a black screen w/sound. BUgger.

Namaste, Tara
#11 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks for the link
seems like if women make noises they sound the same no matter the language--
I do have a question what is on her thigh? at first glance I thought she had a garter on ; ) but then I saw it must be some sort of medical equipment....
#12 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Wow...it was cool, but of course, being the jaded person i now am, i was critisizing everything, lol! Before i had a baby, i would have loved to have seen something like that.
The long time it took to get the baby out really freaks me out also....DD literally burst forth and exploded from me all in one huge contraction, and my body pushed all on it's own, like a frieght train dragging me along...I can't imagine what it would be like to actually have to voluntarily push, and to wait so very long for everything to come out...seems horrific...

CPST
#13 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 06:46 PM

cool video.
i borrowed some videos from my MW, maybe yours would have some?
i pushed on my back, alice was OP and it was the only way that was comfortable for me. i tried everything else first.
#14 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - some info.

I am not sure but would guess the thing on her thigh is part of an internal monitor. THere is no birthstory on the site so I cannot tell you any details.
However I found out that the girl weighs 4 kgs - and if you click the link in the menu on the left called : "Cecilia er lige født" you will get the video of what follows right after birth.
She says something like "That hurt" and her DH tells her she did really well. She asks him if he got it all on video and then she tells her mother to go get something for her (her mother is the person in the background in the dark shirt) Then the MW starts talking about a bit too much bleeding. The new mother asks if she has any tears and the MW says that yes she has a tear in her labia. There is no talk of how big it is.
Then her DH says that the camera is out of battery - just before it ends..

It is not routine her to do constant monitoring - not internal monitoring either. Usually it is only done when there is some kind of problem.

I would personally not like to birth like that but I really think the mother has a good experience here. There is a good and friendly atmosphere in the room and the MW is actually being really friendly with her.
Women here at MDC are very educated about birth - but we must remember that most women are not. They have no idea when is the best time to push, pant etc (or dont think they have) and they feel safe and confident having a midwife guide them through this. We dont all have the same wishes about our births and I actually dont think we have any right to make judgements about the quality of her birthexperience - even if it is not how WE would prefer to birth.
At some point the MW repeats a word over and over - I assume some of you would think she is telling the girl to push but she is actually telling her to pant to let the head out slower. Most of what the MW says are actually reassuring words for the mother telling her she is doing well and giving well meant advice - not orders - about how to push.

The reason there is such a long pause before the babys body is born is that they are simply waiting for the next contraction before encouraging the mother to push.

What the mother breathes could be either laughing gas or oxygen. If there has been problems with heartrate then I guess it would be natural for them to offer her some oxygen?

I hope those were details enough?

#15 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Allison:
Just wanted to add that I dont know if the MWs usually have birthvideos to lend out but you can get a video in the library called "4 fødsler" that is very graphic and shows 4 different births. You will have to suffer the awful 80'ies haircuts though :

#16 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 PM

just watched it with my ds (3 years) and dd (6 yrs) and they both clapped for the mama when she was done how sweet is that?

back when i was pg with ds, hypnobirthing had a wonderful video of home & hospital births that was just beautiful. not sure if they still sell it, but it would be at www.hypnobirthing.com i believe.
#17 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 PM

yea I could see the mw checking mom's belly for a contraction- it sure looks like she is doing some perineal massage- also I could see the tear happen- look for when you see the shoulders come and there is a squirt of blood.
#18 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 10:46 PM

That was interesting! I've never seen an uncensored birth before!
#19 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Just wanted to share my favorite video of a waterbirth of all time! Its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErGwUAgiz5M

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#20 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamPink
Is the standard/norm to have an internal monitor on the baby? The midwife was suctioning the baby before it was out. What was the mom breathing (oh is that laughing gas?)?

all the messing with the mom's tender tissues, the panic around the next contraction after the head (yes, sometimes it takes 'that long', though it's not long at all, really - the baby is still getting O2 from the cord, remember!) and the suctioning kills me.

It's a standard hospital birth (sans episiotomy) not only in Denmark, but here in the US, too.

I would imagine that what they put on her was oxygen, not laughing gas. It didn't seem that the mom was in alot of pain and the midwife/dr seemed rather freaked (constantly poking her belly waiting for that next contraction) about the head being out for awhile, so the O2 was probably just "in case".
#21 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama
Just wanted to share my favorite video of a waterbirth of all time! Its amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErGwUAgiz5M

that's Tatiana! She's a midwife in (former) Russia.

That's a better video.

gosh, in so many of those waterbirths, it's easy to see why some mws don't like waterbirths. I wouldn't like it, either, if I had to stand bent over up to my armpits in water for that long! geez.
#22 of 65 Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 PM

I pushed on my back with my first baby - a homebirth. I had back labor and it was actually the most comfortable position for me (I tried everything else I "thought" I should try but nothing else worked as well or felt as comfortable). Go figure - sometimes that's just best.

Also, when my 2nd baby was born her head came out and just sat there for awhile (not exactly sure how long - it was a UC & dh & I guesstimated 2 minutes). It was a waterbirth too, which made it seem odd to have her head under the water like that for so long. The reason for the gap btwn her head being born & her body being born was simply b/c I let my body push her out - I didn't force it. And that's just the way it went with that particular birth (unlike my next one in which there was barely a pause btwn the head & the body).

For those who got the black screen only - did you try it in IE? Netscape didn't work for me but IE did. Boy, watching that made me so glad my births were so fast the last 3 times. It's intense when it's fast but I wouldn't want to do it that slow again either!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#23 of 65 Old 08-13-2006, 12:04 AM

My midwife barely got wet at my birth...

Some of those videos were scary. I can't believe how calm and smiley Tatiana is! That's the most intense part for me!
#24 of 65 Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 AM

I wanted to be on my back for my third(go figure) and my midwife was late getting to me and she had her partner there and when she finally came and saw me relaxed and laying on my back she told me to get on all fours, I said it did not feel comfortable, but she said if i wanted a fast labor (which I did and discussed it with her before hand) I should be in the positon that felt most uncomfortable. the baby came 45 minutes later!

awesome video by the way-thanks for sharing!
#25 of 65 Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 AM

I think its a beautiful birth.

I birthed all my babies in that position. Its just whats natural for me. I have pushed on my knees before but much prefer reclining.

I love Tatianas birth. I've been telling dh about it for days .

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#26 of 65 Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 AM

I love watching births. I never could figure out why someone would video tape a birth and then censor out the best parts. I mean, why watch a birth if all you are going to see is a before and after with all that fuzzy screen in the middle.

These two births were wonderful. I can't wait until it's my turn again.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#27 of 65 Old 08-13-2006, 05:05 AM

They are all beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#28 of 65 Old 08-14-2006, 03:12 AM

I can't get it to load. :

Tatiana's birth, though, was really cool. Thanks for posting that. Was it unassisted?

Mamachandi wrote: "I said it did not feel comfortable, but she said if i wanted a fast labor (which I did and discussed it with her before hand) I should be in the positon that felt most uncomfortable."

I don't understand this. Why would a midwife be encouraging you to be uncomfortable? Seems like that's the opposite of following your body's cues?
#29 of 65 Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
all the messing with the mom's tender tissues, the panic around the next contraction after the head (yes, sometimes it takes 'that long', though it's not long at all, really - the baby is still getting O2 from the cord, remember!) and the suctioning kills me.
It is not my impression that there is any panic at this point. The midwife seems calm to me and is telling the mother that they have to wait for the next contraction before she should start pushing again.

I also do not understand what the suctioning is about but we do not know what has happened earlier in the birth. Maybe there was meconium in the amniotic fluid and they want to make sure baby doesnt breathe it in?
Since she seems to have an internal monitor as well as an external one I assume that there has been some reason for this (in Denmark it is not my experience that they will use the internal monitor unless they think there is a good reason) and that reason would most likely be meconium or dropping heartrate.

My first birth was in hospital and even though the circumstances were a bit different from this birth then I was in the same position (on my back but half upright) and it was not uncomfortable. My labor had been around 50 hours and I was so exhausted that I didnt feel like being on all fours. Also in this position they held a mirror for me and I could see everything - something I would not have been able to do on all fours. I was not in a condition where squatting could even be considered.
Even though i was educated about birth at the time (though not as I am now) I took comfort in getting advice from the midwife during pushing and crowning.

I must admit I feel there is a bit of birth snobbery around - nothing big - just tiny remarks here and there "belittleing" (is that a word) the experience of a hospital birthing unexperienced mom in comparison to a solo waterbirth (by a midwife even). Tiny remarks that honor one birth to be "better" - a "quality" birth whereas the other mother is thought to be some kind of "victim" who undergoes a hospital delivery. It is (by some) automatically assumed that one birthexperience is better - but the truth is that noone here can really know can they?
It may be that one looks more graceful than the other - but honestly who cares about looking graceful while giving birth. I sure as **** dont - and I dont necessarily think it makes for a better birthexperience either..

I personally have both a marathon hospitalbirth ending in epidural, pitocin and an "on the back" delivery - as well as an almost completely solo homebirth where the MW arrived as my daughter was crowning, I was kneeling and delivered the head on my own - the MW never even touched my perineum till after birth. All she did was catch the baby and hand her directly to me.

Was my one birth "better" than the other? I know for sure that I had problems bonding with my daughter because her birth had been so fast - whereas my first birth had been slower and I had found it easier to adjust to being a new mom from being pregnant. I do not think my one experience was "better" than the other. Just different. Even if one was (seen from the outside) a "perfect" homebirth and the other a hospital birth with the loads of intervention.

#30 of 65 Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
I can't get it to load. :

Tatiana's birth, though, was really cool. Thanks for posting that. Was it unassisted?

Mamachandi wrote: "I said it did not feel comfortable, but she said if i wanted a fast labor (which I did and discussed it with her before hand) I should be in the positon that felt most uncomfortable."

I don't understand this. Why would a midwife be encouraging you to be uncomfortable? Seems like that's the opposite of following your body's cues?
I don't know but it worked

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page