Honest question: Why no drugs/pain relief? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 PM
 
wifeandmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Yeah, so I'll get an epidural just in case I need a crash section?

Do you know how rare a CRASH c-section is? Seriously. Even in emergent and urgent c-sections, they almost always have time to place a spinal.

I've seen them have to use general TWICE in my life, and you know what one of the reasons was? Because the doctor placing her epidural placed it too high (very short woman) and with a bit too much of a loading dose and paralyzed her diaphragm. She needed the general because she couldn't breathe and was thrashing all over the OR table. They knocked her out and put a breathing tube down her throat. Score one for preventive therapy, huh?

Getting an epidural in case you'll need a stat section? What a warped and sad view of birth.

Please look into who funded those studies...

Off to post at Baby Center or Parenting or whatever those other boards are.....
Please point out where I said it was a good idea to have a 'just in case' epidural placed. Or that it was something that SHOULD be done 'just in case' for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Oh, yeah, I didn't.

The example I *did* give was in regards to a baby that was already clearly in distress, quite a difference from just popping an epi in every women who comes through the door 'just in case'.
wifeandmom is offline  
#122 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
 
CookieMonsterMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
There is one particular risk that comes to mind that is ADDED to the normal risks of a natural (med-free) delivery as a DIRECT RESULT of choosing to go med-free.

That is, if a woman who opts for no meds during vaginal birth ends up needing a crash section, she often has to be put under a general anesthetic instead of the less risky epidural anesthetic that could likely have been used had it been in place when the emergency occurred.

Is this a reason to justify epidural placement 'just in case' an emergency arises? The answer to that question lies in what particular risk factors a woman has that might make it more likely than not that she'd need an emergency section to begin with.
You mentioned no problems here in the bolded part. You didn't say for a woman who already had compromised fetal wellbeing.

Define "often" (see underline). Like I said, I've seen it used once for a legitimate emergent c/s--twice if you include when the doctor almost killed the woman putting in the c/s.

And complications from epis aren't common? Have you ever worked post partum or labor and delivery? It's not uncommon either. LOTS of women have "windows" where the epidural doesn't cover a certain area of her abdomen and she has intense pain there. Many women have needed 2, 3, even 4 attempts at placing the epidural. I've seen a LOT of spinal headaches in post partum women (I've had one myself and it was HORRIBLE), excessive bruising and pain at the catheter site, etc. I've also seen some rare things like meningitis following the epidural placement, localized infection, partial temporary paralysis of the legs (lasting almost 2 weeks) and cardiac problems following incorrect placement.

Rare vs. not uncommon vs. no chance? Yeah, I'll go with the 'no chance' option, thanks. ::insert little eyeroll and winking face here::

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
CookieMonsterMommy is offline  
#123 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
DeeEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50
if you are making an informed choice and consent to the use of drugs, then i'm not understanding why you would feel guilty about that choice regardless of what others say to you?
I didn't say that I personally felt guilty because I have no reason to. What offends me is women who try to make women who choose pain relief during labor feel guilty. Big difference.

Also, to the PP who said "a little pain on my part". Ummm, its not a LITTLE pain by any stretch of the imagination.
DeeEast is offline  
#124 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
 
DeeEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh and I did have one of those "crash" C-sections where I had to undergo general anesthesia. My DS had a prolapsed cord and he could have died without an immediate C-section. He almost did die as a matter of fact, even with it.
DeeEast is offline  
#125 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
 
CookieMonsterMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
Ummm, its not a LITTLE pain by any stretch of the imagination.
Not in everyones experience. Some women orgasm during labor.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
CookieMonsterMommy is offline  
#126 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 16,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
Oh and I did have one of those "crash" C-sections where I had to undergo general anesthesia. My DS had a prolapsed cord and he could have died without an immediate C-section. He almost did die as a matter of fact, even with it.
But I have to ask, did you have AROM?

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#127 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
 
CookieMonsterMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
Oh and I did have one of those "crash" C-sections where I had to undergo general anesthesia. My DS had a prolapsed cord and he could have died without an immediate C-section. He almost did die as a matter of fact, even with it.
I'm glad he's okay. But I'm not sure if you were trying to proove something?

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
CookieMonsterMommy is offline  
#128 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
 
wifeandmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
You didn't say for a woman who already had compromised fetal wellbeing.
Perhaps it would help if you continued reading after the portion you bolded where I discussed this very issue. Then perhaps it would be beneficial for you to read further, where I clearly clarified by giving an example of where it might make sense to go ahead with a 'just in case' epidural given the circumstances.

Just after the bolded portion, I state:

Quote:
Is this a reason to justify epidural placement 'just in case' an emergency arises? The answer to that question lies in what particular risk factors a woman has that might make it more likely than not that she'd need an emergency section to begin with.


Quote:
Define "often" (see underline). Like I said, I've seen it used once for a legitimate emergent c/s--twice if you include when the doctor almost killed the woman putting in the c/s.
In an *emergency* section, which is QUITE different than an *emergent* section, if an epidural is not already in place, a general anesthetic is going to be used. Period. Unless you've got an idiot for a doctor.

Emergency sections are ones where mom and/or baby are dying, therefore taking the time to place a spinal or epidural where there is not one already in place simply is not an option. I'm talking cases where the 'decision to incision' time is 5 minutes and baby is out in under 5 minutes from incision.

5 minutes is simply not enough time for even a spinal to work, much less an epidural. And if a hospital has a much greater 'decision to incision' time for true emergencies, I wouldn't set foot inside there.


Quote:
And complications from epis aren't common? Have you ever worked post partum or labor and delivery? It's not uncommon either. LOTS of women have "windows" where the epidural doesn't cover a certain area of her abdomen and she has intense pain there. Many women have needed 2, 3, even 4 attempts at placing the epidural. I've seen a LOT of spinal headaches in post partum women (I've had one myself and it was HORRIBLE), excessive bruising and pain at the catheter site, etc. I've also seen some rare things like meningitis following the epidural placement, localized infection, partial temporary paralysis of the legs (lasting almost 2 weeks) and cardiac problems following incorrect placement.
Life threatening complications are rare with epidurals and spinals. The end. I can't seem to find anywhere in what you quoted that you'd even get the idea that I was discussing complications from epidurals in any other context than the fact that epis are LESS risky than general anesthesia, which is simply fact. Sorry if you don't like it.

Quote:
Rare vs. not uncommon vs. no chance? Yeah, I'll go with the 'no chance' option, thanks. ::insert little eyeroll and winking face here::
Wow. Care to elaborate on what birth choices you make that carry NO RISK WHATSOEVER? Cause I'd love to take part in that kind of birth.

Oh, wait. No matter what choices you make, there is *some* degree of risk. There is no option for 'no chance' of risk during childbirth. You have to pick and choose which risks you feel most comfortable with, but there are most assuredly risks to ANY choice you make.

That seems like a given, something that people wouldn't honestly try to argue, but apparently not. :
wifeandmom is offline  
#129 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
 
boscopup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
I've seen them have to use general TWICE in my life, and you know what one of the reasons was? Because the doctor placing her epidural placed it too high (very short woman) and with a bit too much of a loading dose and paralyzed her diaphragm. She needed the general because she couldn't breathe and was thrashing all over the OR table. They knocked her out and put a breathing tube down her throat. Score one for preventive therapy, huh?
A friend of mine recently was induced (pitocin) for being 5 days late :, suffered the horrible pitocin-induced contractions and finally gave in to an epidural. She had that wonderful epidural window. Then, after pushing for a couple hours, they said she was FTP, so they decided on a C-section. The epidural didn't work, so they tried a spinal. The spinal paralyzed her diaphragm and she couldn't breathe. They had to put her under a general.

Score two for preventative therapy! And I don't work in a hospital... This was just a local friend of mine.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
boscopup is offline  
#130 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 PM
 
wifeandmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Not in everyones experience. Some women orgasm during labor.
Would you say that is typical? Common? Does it happen often? Or is it rare?
wifeandmom is offline  
#131 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
 
wifeandmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
A friend of mine recently was induced (pitocin) for being 5 days late :, suffered the horrible pitocin-induced contractions and finally gave in to an epidural. She had that wonderful epidural window. Then, after pushing for a couple hours, they said she was FTP, so they decided on a C-section. The epidural didn't work, so they tried a spinal. The spinal paralyzed her diaphragm and she couldn't breathe. They had to put her under a general.

Score two for preventative therapy! And I don't work in a hospital... This was just a local friend of mine.
Well shoot. Maybe they should have just kept cutting despite the fact that she could feel them doing so. Would that be better?

Good grief. Nobody said that having a 'just in case' epidural was the thing to do, the way to go, the best choice, the safest route, etc etc etc.

If mom already has an epidural in place, it is LIKELY that it can be used instead of a general. Not always. Not 100% of the time. But certainly more often than being able to use an epidural that isn't in place at all when a true emergency arises. Cause at that point, the chances of a non-existant epidural being used is 0%. There simply isn't time.

FTP isn't a life and death emergency, so once the decision to section is made, there is enough time to allow for epi or spinal placement. Is it going to ALWAYS work? Um, no. Who ever said it did? :

If I found myself in a situation where an emergency situation seemed more likely than not, it would make sense to ME to have the epidural placed at that point instead of waiting until the situation became so critical that it was no longer a possibility due to time constraints. Of course, there isn't always adequate warning before things get to the point of a crash section anyway, which is where you see a general used for non-medicated mothers because there really is no other option at that point.
wifeandmom is offline  
#132 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned
 
Pandora114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shamelessly using "devices"
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
Well shoot. Maybe they should have just kept cutting despite the fact that she could feel them doing so. Would that be better?

Good grief. Nobody said that having a 'just in case' epidural was the thing to do, the way to go, the best choice, the safest route, etc etc etc.

If mom already has an epidural in place, it is LIKELY that it can be used instead of a general. Not always. Not 100% of the time. But certainly more often than being able to use an epidural that isn't in place at all when a true emergency arises. Cause at that point, the chances of a non-existant epidural being used is 0%. There simply isn't time.

FTP isn't a life and death emergency, so once the decision to section is made, there is enough time to allow for epi or spinal placement. Is it going to ALWAYS work? Um, no. Who ever said it did? :
I have Psychological reasons for needing GA for a section if I ever do need one.

It's pretty gruesome acctually.

I was raped. The Rohypnol Or GHB I'm not sure which, did NOT Render me unconcious. It acctually just paralized me from the armpits down.

Yeah...

So if I get an epidural/spinal block for ANYTHING I *will* go crazy and relive a PTSD Episode and have to be tossed under psychiatric observation for god knows how long till I come out of it.

My baby wouldn't have a mother for god knows how long...My children wouldn't have a mom...they'd have a raving lunatic they share DNA with.

My husband wouldn't have a wife. He'd divorce me and leave me in the assylum as I rave and go nutso...

So yeah...I KNOW I would be better off DEAD than a raving lunatic inside a psychiatric ward due to a severe PTSD flashback.

I think my husband would rather me be dead too than to have to deal with having POA over a lunatic ex wife for the rest of his days.
Pandora114 is offline  
#133 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 PM
 
boscopup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
Good grief. Nobody said that having a 'just in case' epidural was the thing to do, the way to go, the best choice, the safest route, etc etc etc.
Then why bother mentioning it?

Frankly, I'd be all for the GA... But I've been under GA before and had local anesthetic surgeries before, and the local anesthetic surgeries were MUCH more traumatic for me. I wouldn't have the reaction that Pandora mentions, but I honestly would probably rather have the GA for a C-section, even knowing the risks. I recovered SOOOO much better from my GA surgeries. Really, the biggest thing that scares me about a C-section is the being awake part, because of my previous non-GA surgeries.

Yes, I know FTP is not a crash C-section incidence. I never said it was. My point was that epidurals don't always work, spinals don't always work. Sometimes these items cause really bad stuff to happen (like not breathing). I'd rather take my chances that I won't need a C-section than to get an epidural "just in case" and face the possible complications of that. But again, my views are biased by my psychological problem with being awake during surgery and past experiences with such. My local anesthetic surgery was WAAAAAAY worse than drug-free vaginal birth... because I *remember* the pain of the local anesthetic going in and can feel it when I think about it. Not to mention all the friends I have that dealt with epidural after-effects from their normal births (headaches, backaches, etc.), and one friend who has a disabled child due to an epidural being placed too early (if you look up the risks, that is one of them, but I've only run into one person online that I know that happened to, so I know it's *incredibly* rare... and it's preventable by not getting epi too early).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
boscopup is offline  
#134 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
 
thefragile7393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
Would you say that is typical? Common? Does it happen often? Or is it rare?
I've read about it....don't know how common it is. While I wouldn't go around telling women this IS going to happen if you labor and birth naturally, it's certainly not impossible for some women. It wasn't that way for me but it's not impossible to imagine that it is how it feels for some women.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

thefragile7393 is offline  
#135 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 PM
 
dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
Another thought is that an epi is going to naturally relax the pelvic floor in lots of women, so the baby might descend properly at first, but get 'stuck' closer to the end of delivery. Of course, this doesn't really explain why just as many babies were needing instrumental delivery in the no-epi group, only they were requiring assistance higher up in the birth canal.
or, that the "standard of care" was for the laboring woman (without epi) to be subjected to EFM instead of intermittent fetal monitoring (which has time and again been proven to be just as safe as continuous monitoring) and was unable to position herself in an optimal way to birth her baby.

Why bring up this horrible scenario when it is so rare? What is the point/motivation to do so?

btw, ECSTATIC BIRTH HAPPENS!!!
(but it's not something usually ever seen in a hospital due to the unnatural setting and intervention. Spend a couple years in a homebirth or birth center setting and you will see it. Treating a laboring woman like the goddess she is does wonders. )
dove is offline  
#136 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
DeeEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
Not in everyones experience. Some women orgasm during labor.
How ludicrous. Enough said. My pain was beyond excrutiating and so was every other woman's pain that I've ever personally spoken to, including my mother who had 7 children without pain relief. I just do not understand your mind-set nor do I want to.
DeeEast is offline  
#137 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 PM
 
CookieMonsterMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom
In an *emergency* section, which is QUITE different than an *emergent* section, if an epidural is not already in place, a general anesthetic is going to be used. Period. Unless you've got an idiot for a doctor.

Emergency sections are ones where mom and/or baby are dying, therefore taking the time to place a spinal or epidural where there is not one already in place simply is not an option. I'm talking cases where the 'decision to incision' time is 5 minutes and baby is out in under 5 minutes from incision.
1st of all, I am very well versed in the different classifications of c-sections, but I thank you for attempting to educate me. No, three is not a difference between an emergent c-section and emergency c-section. Just a similar term for the same level of severity. (There is a difference between urgent and emergent, yes).

Second, yes, I've seen c-sections termed emergent (or emergency) where there was enough time to place a spinal. GA isn't prefered because of the increased risks not only to mom, but to baby. If you have a baby who is compromised to begin with, you don't want to risk stopping the oxygen to the baby if mom can't be intubated immediately.

Third: Are you aware that a common side effect/adverse effect of epidural is low blood pressure? (which is why they bolus you with 500-1,500mL of fluid before/during) Do you know the consequence of low maternal BP? Decreased placental perfusion. Decreased PP=less blood through umbilical cord=less oxygen for baby=slowed fetal heart rate=deceleration=poor tracing=HUGE increase for "need" of c/s.

Fourth-
Quote:
Life threatening complications are rare with epidurals and spinals. The end.
I never said they weren't. But it is not the end. Like I've said, I've had a spinal headache, and being laid up flat on your back for days, with morphine hardly touching the pain is nothing to sniff at--I can't imagine what that would be like while trying to establish a nursing relationship, bonding, going home, etc. The risks are there. I'd never make a general statement like "Epidurals are unsafe. Period" I'm not an idiot. I've seen epidurals do very good. I've seen them save a mother from a c/section. I just think it's very unsafe, unwise and unethical to say what I quoted. And most women don't know the risks to epidurals, spinals, stadol, demerol, etc. in part because people consider them rare and uncommon enough to not mention it.


Re: Risk vs. No Risk: I made the choice not to have pain meds in labor, and there is no risk in not getting pain meds, so I'm not really sure I should need to elaborate more. What else qualifies me? I refused an induction. Didn't stay on my back. No directed or purple pushing. No continuous EFM. I ate and drank in labor. Obviously laboring itself poses inherent risks, but I chose not to add to that. Is that a good enough laundry list for you?

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
CookieMonsterMommy is offline  
#138 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM
 
CookieMonsterMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
How ludicrous. Enough said. My pain was beyond excrutiating and so was every other woman's pain that I've ever personally spoken to, including my mother who had 7 children without pain relief. I just do not understand your mind-set nor do I want to.
Excuse me, why is that ludicrous? It has happened. To some mamas here, and it's been published. Yes it's rare, but worth mentioning. I wanted to enlighten you that not every woman's labor experience was like yours, since you seem to have been (and continue to be) ignorant to that fact. And yes, it's a fact.

My labor was *NOT* beyond excruciating. it was painful, yes. But I'd never cal it excruciating--even during the labor I did not.

You don't want to understand me? Then put me on ignore or don't respond. Don't waste both of our times.:

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
CookieMonsterMommy is offline  
#139 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
I just do not understand your mind-set nor do I want to.
Wow. Why wouldn't you want to understand? I did not have an orgasmic birth (don't we all wish, huh?) BUT it was not unbearable. It was not intollerable. I never even WANTED meds.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact I birthed at home and was in my own element, but perhaps I was just lucky

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#140 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
there is no risk in not getting pain meds
this is worth repeating.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#141 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
DeeEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Wow. Why wouldn't you want to understand? I did not have an orgasmic birth (don't we all wish, huh?) BUT it was not unbearable. It was not intollerable. I never even WANTED meds.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact I birthed at home and was in my own element, but perhaps I was just lucky

-Angela
Yes, in my opinion you were "lucky". Ah-hem. So you are saying that the fact that my birth was agonizing was my fault and because I did not birth at home? It had nothing to do with the fact of nature that birth is painful. No, it was not tolerable. It was scary, beyond agonizing, and horrifying. Yep, I wish I had been able to have pain relief. But, according to you, that's my own fault. If I had had the birth of my twins at home, maybe it would have been orgasmic. Of course my son would have died of his prolapsed cord, but hey, it would have been worth it to have a groovy birth experience?
DeeEast is offline  
#142 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just posting my experience. I have no idea about the details of yours.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#143 of 151 Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 PM
 
dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
Yes, in my opinion you were "lucky". Ah-hem. So you are saying that the fact that my birth was agonizing was my fault and because I did not birth at home? It had nothing to do with the fact of nature that birth is painful. No, it was not tolerable. It was scary, beyond agonizing, and horrifying. Yep, I wish I had been able to have pain relief. But, according to you, that's my own fault. If I had had the birth of my twins at home, maybe it would have been orgasmic. Of course my son would have died of his prolapsed cord, but hey, it would have been worth it to have a groovy birth experience?
you pretty obviously don't want to understand are unintentionally (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here) putting down womyn who believe in their bodies' abilities to birth normally and without pain management. There is such a thing as ecstatic birth. i have experienced it. Sometimes it involves actual orgasm, sometimes it doesn't. In womyn who are not micro-managed in their labor, believe in their bodies abilities to birth without intervention, and are treated with respect and kindness it is not such a rarity. I'm truly sorry that you feel the need to make snide remarks to discuss this here on this forum. No, of course no one wanted you to have a dead twin. There is a reason for medical management at times. Good thing it is there for the true emergencies. Otherwise, though - "groovy" births should be the norm and if we would just lay off of laboring womEn and quit this cascade of interventions toward c/s and pain management-land that is so prevalent today, you might just see more womYn who are empowered and respectful of natural birth.
dove is offline  
#144 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I did not have an orgasmic birth (don't we all wish, huh?) BUT it was not unbearable. It was not intollerable. I never even WANTED meds.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact I birthed at home and was in my own element, but perhaps I was just lucky

-Angela
I birthed in a hospital four times and never had nor wanted meds. Yeah, it was painful - but not intolerable. I made a lot of noise and worked through it.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#145 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
 
DeeEast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove
you pretty obviously don't want to understand are unintentionally (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here) putting down womyn who believe in their bodies' abilities to birth normally and without pain management. There is such a thing as ecstatic birth. i have experienced it. Sometimes it involves actual orgasm, sometimes it doesn't. In womyn who are not micro-managed in their labor, believe in their bodies abilities to birth without intervention, and are treated with respect and kindness it is not such a rarity. I'm truly sorry that you feel the need to make snide remarks to discuss this here on this forum. No, of course no one wanted you to have a dead twin. There is a reason for medical management at times. Good thing it is there for the true emergencies. Otherwise, though - "groovy" births should be the norm and if we would just lay off of laboring womEn and quit this cascade of interventions toward c/s and pain management-land that is so prevalent today, you might just see more womYn who are empowered and respectful of natural birth.
You don't know enough about me to guess as my intentions. I've been very clear. I resent anyone making women feel less "empowered" because they choose pain relief.

And no, I am not the one making snide remarks. I am merely responding to the myriad of snide comments made here. Remarkable that in such a "feel-good" forum, that snide remarks against a minority opinion are championed, but anything said in defense is attacked. Talk about small-minded.
DeeEast is offline  
#146 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
You don't know enough about me to guess as my intentions. I've been very clear. I resent anyone making women feel less "empowered" because they choose pain relief.

And no, I am not the one making snide remarks. I am merely responding to the myriad of snide comments made here. Remarkable that in such a "feel-good" forum, that snide remarks against a minority opinion are championed, but anything said in defense is attacked. Talk about small-minded.
: you are the one who called someones comments ludicrous.
artgoddess is offline  
#147 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM
 
artgoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Suburban hell
Posts: 13,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
Yes, in my opinion you were "lucky". Ah-hem. So you are saying that the fact that my birth was agonizing was my fault and because I did not birth at home? It had nothing to do with the fact of nature that birth is painful. No, it was not tolerable. It was scary, beyond agonizing, and horrifying. Yep, I wish I had been able to have pain relief. But, according to you, that's my own fault. If I had had the birth of my twins at home, maybe it would have been orgasmic. Of course my son would have died of his prolapsed cord, but hey, it would have been worth it to have a groovy birth experience?
I bolded mine.

Dude, all she said was that she felt that HER birth experience was less painful for HER because she birthed at home. Where on earth you get off putting words in her mouth, making stuff up and then criticizing her for the bull you made up she said, I have no idea.

I'm reporting your post.
artgoddess is offline  
#148 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 AM
 
dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
You don't know enough about me to guess as my intentions. I've been very clear. I resent anyone making women feel less "empowered" because they choose pain relief.
thank you for coming clean and being honest in your intention with this thread. You have stated your agenda quite clearly in this statement and it is definitely not what you titled your thread to be ( 'HONEST QUESTION... ' )

If you honestly wanted to know why some womyn don't use pain relief in labor you wouldn't be reacting in the way you are to the answers you are getting here. (calling an honestly expressed experience ludicrous, etc...)

I don't want to convert you to be a natural birth lover or anything, and gosh, I wouldn't even wish an ecstatic birth on you for fear that it would blow your perceptions of how birth should be. It would be nice if you were willing to listen to all sorts of experiences and keep an open mind, since you are the one doing the asking here on mdc.

bye. take care.
dove is offline  
#149 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned
 
Pandora114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shamelessly using "devices"
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*cough* this thread is degenerating again....

As I said: Women who go pain med free are acctually in the minority. More often than not, those who announce they want to have a natural birth get scoffed, ridiculed, made fun of and put down for their choice.

They are made to doubt themselves more often than not.

Those who choose pain relief are treated as "OMG honey I am SOOO with you!"

You stumbled across a board filled with the minority DeeEast...the majority are out there.

Oh yeah. Another reason for intense pain during labour is fear. The fllight or fight response due to fear causes more lactic acid to build up in your muscles. Your uterus is a muscle. Lactic acid is what causes muscle cramps, like charley hourses. Lactic acid in the uterus makes things hurt a helluvalot more.

A relaxed mom = smooth labour. It doesn't matter if they need artificial management to relax (read Epi) Or natural relaxing (Hypnosis)

The more relaxed you are in the throes of things, the less painful it will be...

ETA: No I'm not a danged Granola Embassador. I just dont want to get this thread locked and removed again because it really has some valuable information in it to those who could be lurking IRT the risks of epidurals and whatnot.

This Thread can be a valuable resource, despite certain posts.

I would be sorta sad if it got taken away again....
Pandora114 is offline  
#150 of 151 Old 08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
 
magemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Behind the milk, West of Crazy
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had 5 children, all in hospital, obs, midwives, family practice- someone handy in the hallway. I have had inductions and spontaneous births. Posterior and 11+ pounds. I physically recovered better with my drug free births. I am glad I had the epidural with my first because of my fear. I am glad with my 3rd because I had to wait and the urge to push was dulled. I am so happy with my 4th I didn't or it would have ended as a csection if my doc wasn't guarding my door. Atilla the nurse also helped. Others may not like her, but she was the attendant I needed. My 5th finally convinced DH that homebirth is an option (Argh!!)

My sister had an epidural with her twin birth and it helped with her delivery. However it also put her in the ICU after. After her second day of labor with her singleton she still had another epidural. Not my choice, but I respect hers.
magemom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off