Anyone else have a fabulous hospital birth story? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a big proponent of homebirth, it just isn't for me and my family, just a personal preference. I have had 2 hospital births. The first was not what I wanted, so I made the decision that the second one would be, and it was. I was allowed to drink water freely in labor, had no interventions at all, pushed on my hands and knees, the cord had stopped pulsing before it was cut, my midwife and 1 nurse were the only attendants (other than dh and SIL), the baby was put immediately on my chest to nurse, and left there for nearly 2 hours before he was weighed, measured, etc. They did take him to the nursery, but waited until I was to the point that I could take him there myself, so we were not separated at all. He was never out of arm's reach during our whole stay, which was only 24 hrs. Nobody balked at that, either. I see very, very little anywhere about positive hospital birthing, and just wanted to share my experience!
#2 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I've never known anyone to have a positive hospital birth, but I'm really glad that you did. :-)
#3 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM

I had four good, relatively non-interventive, hospital births; all at the same birthing-center-within-a-hospital. The first was in 1990, the last in 2000. It was interesting to see how procedures changed there over the course of 10 years - each time I went in to have a baby things were different/even better than they had been before.

The third, my first waterbirth, is really the only one I would call "fabulous". That birth was EXACTLY as I wanted/planned/hoped. It was really beautiful and peaceful.

My fourth was also a waterbirth.

I had some issues with the on-call OB the night I went in with my second labor. He was a HUGE problem, very traditional and old school - and after that experience, DH and I were much more proactive/assertive about MY needs & wishes being met.

The things I'm happy about were that I always had a private, cozy room for delivery and for my stay; I never had a heplock, IV, or any type of medication; I breastfed my babies as soon as they were born, my babies roomed in with me (except my fourth, who had a life-threatening issue and had to be transferred to a NICU in another hospital), and I had wonderful labor nurses. (Shortly after I'd had my fourth baby, a nurse came in to change my bed, and I exclaimed, "Hey, I know you!" She said, "Are you sure? I haven't worked here in years." I said, "Yes! You were my labor nurse when I had my first baby, ten years ago! You had laryngitis and you were losing your voice, and they kept telling you to go home; but you refused to leave me until my son was born." She was like, "Omigosh, that was YOU?! I do remember that!" )

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 PM

I had a pretty darn great hospital experience with my first birth, which was twins.

I had a friend (who is an ICAN regional representative) who had had twins via c-s and then gone on to have 2 hbacs, and while I was on bedrest she gave me a ton of great books about childbirth. TWG really changed my life and at that point I realized it was MY birth, and for the most part, *I* could call the shots.

In retrospect, my doc was very liberal in even "allowing" a mom with twins to labor. He was a high risk perinate who specialized in mults, and he had a lot of vaginal mult births under his belt. Anyway, I was induced, due to Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, and that was okay with me because all I needed was cervidil and my body just went right into labor. I had my friend with me, and she held all the belts in place, and I labored basically standing up and rocking back and forth. When I was puking she was like, "That's awesome! You're doing so great! That's probably another cm!" Anyway, I ended up having both kids vaginally, 1 small tear because baby B was a footling breech, but no real interventions.

No AROM, No IV, no episiotomy -- none of the really annoying hospital type interventions. I even labored in my own clothes for most of it.

HOWEVER. I have to say that my knowledge/expectations were different than they are now. I was young and a single mom of twins, and I wasn't a doula. I lived in a big city. I didn't really know my options, and I thought the hospital was the "safest" place to have a baby. Now that I am older, more knowledgable, and live in a very small town with a very old-school hospital that triages laboring moms AWAY FROM THEIR PARTNERS/HUSBANDS/DOULAS/ETC, I can honestly say I'd never give birth in a hospital again.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 PM

I had a great hospital birth here on Okinawa. The US Naval Hospital here delivers over 1200 babes a year (to a population of about 30K), so they've got it DOWN. The OB staff are largely CNMs, so definitely have the holistic lean. They don't see many natural births at all (lots of really young, scared, unprepared mamas), but my CNM was very encouraging toward my plan and never skeptical at all. The labor nurse that taught our childbirth class was definitely pro-NCB. When I asked her about the epi rate (over 90%), she just said it was really sad. ANYWAY, my CNM encouraged me to write up a birth plan just because I had such clear plans and had educated myself well on why I wanted a NCB. I'm glad she recommended and that I asked all my questions about hospital policy, because the nurse on shift when I arrived was new and kept spouting incorrect policy at me ("Oh no no no, you can't eat that Luna Bar later... only ice chips and popsicles once you're admitted!"... "Yes, we DO have to put you on the IV bag, it's *hospital policy!*"). Anyway, thankfully, she went off shift and the next crew had either read my plan or talked to my midwife or just actually knew what the hell the real policies were. Everything went exactly as I'd hoped (except I didn't get up and squat at the end, but that was my own fault) and my labor went really well and calmly. I really trusted my CNM and the labor nurse and corpsman were very calm. No one offered me drugs and they left me off the monitor for the most part so I could be on the ball and do things the way I wanted to. I'm mainstream enough to be OK with some of the procedures like her first bath, APGAR, yada yada -- and my husband was with her if I wasn't. Other than all of that, she was with me from moment zero and breastfed within minutes. My stay in post-partum for 2 days was kind of annoying just because it's hard for me to sleep with chit-chat out in the hallway, but the staff there was really kind and left me alone with Nevie almost 100% of the time. They did a baby round-up every 12 hours for the pediatrician to check them out, so that got a little old... on the other hand, I trusted the staff and I used that time to just lay back and process everything that was happening.

So, all that being said, if home birth had been an option this go-round, that would have been neat. It wasn't and I don't feel cheated. The only thing I really wish they'd had were big tubs. The staff wishes they had them, too -- but the hospital is old, slated for demolition, and the Navy isn't throwing any money at it right now. I think I had a great labor and awesome crew helping me through it and I'm not sorry that I was in a position to get immediate help if I'd needed it or Nevie had needed it. I won't be sorry to do it at home someday, either, now that I know better how this process goes.

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#6 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM

I had a wonderful hospital birth too. I had a great nurse who requested me when she heard who my midwife was. No continuous monitoring, no heplock or IV, the only intervention at all was that my midwife broke my water at 9 1/2 cm at my request. I could eat and drink whatever I wanted and move about freely. And I loved being taken care of postpartum. The nurses were so good to me.

That being said, I have had Doula clients give birth at the same hospital and have completely opposite, horrible experiences (although they have had a different caregiver).
#7 of 72 Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 PM

Both mine were born in a small community hospital that is, I now know, really unusual.

I went to a large combined OB/midwife practice, but saw only midwives for prenatal care (CNMs).

Hospital does not (didn't then, anyway) offer epidurals, mostly because they're so small they don't have an anesthesiologist to devote to the materntiy dept. You could get an intrathecal, but they told everyone interested in one to wait as long as possible because they only last about 90 minutes and wear off very quickly... *lots* of unmedicated birthers here, even very mainstream moms. All my coworkers with children had undrugged births. They also do a lot of VBACs, I think. My coworker's daughter who had a C with her #1 wasn't even offered a repeat C date - it was assumed she'd VBAC when #2 was born.

I labored in the tub both times, no rules about food and drink, non-obtrusive (to me) intermittent monitoring (came in quietly, asked if it was a good time to listen for a minute). Heplocks aren't routine (though I had one with #2 for abx for GBS - I discussed it thoroughly with the midwives and elected to go ahead with it) I picked my own position to birth, no coached pushing, no routine episiotomy. Meconium in the water with #1 wasn't a panic and no ped was called "just in case." Breastfed immediately both times. All exams of the baby were done in the room, most with baby in my arms. The nursery was empty both times because rooming in is standard. Many nurses trained as LCs, got *great* breastfeeding advice, and never saw a drop of formula, nor coupons. Went home with a medela manual breastpump, a baby t-shirt, "goodnight Moon" and (with #2), "Helping Mommy Breastfeed" for big brother but no "breastfeeding success formula pack." Oh - and they use cloth diapers on all the babies in the hospital and all cloth chux pads.

All that said, if I have another, the only thing pulling me away from homebirth is the fact that I genuinely like the CNMs who delivered both my babies and would love to share another pregnancy and birth with them. If we were to move away from here I'd almost certainly be homebirthing, since I'm pretty sure that in many hospitals, #1 would have wound up being a C-section because labor got off to a slow start and never "got established" according to the charts in the Dublin Protocol. It was actually a short labor for a first baby, but it was atypical in a bunch of ways that would have freaked out a control-freak OB.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#8 of 72 Old 08-23-2006, 02:07 AM

I had dd1 in a hospital in '96. I was happy with that birth. Not sure I'd call it fabulous but it was very good, especially compared to 99% of hospital births. I drank water, I walked, I labored in any position I wanted, no IV, no fetal monitoring except the fetoscope. No extra people in the room - just me, dh, midwife and one nurse. Lights were dimmed; it was quiet. I held dd for an hour after she was born - before anything was done (except Apgar which was done while I held her on my chest). She never left our room. We skipped all the normal poking and prodding (me and baby) for the most part. My birth plan was followed to the letter - with respect.

However, dd2 was born in a freestanding birth center. Now THAT was fabulous!!!!

Dd3 was born at home at that was also fabulous!!!!

So I would rate my hospital birth as good - very good as hospital births go.
#9 of 72 Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
CEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny
Both mine were born in a small community hospital that is, I now know, really unusual.

I went to a large combined OB/midwife practice, but saw only midwives for prenatal care (CNMs).

Hospital does not (didn't then, anyway) offer epidurals, mostly because they're so small they don't have an anesthesiologist to devote to the materntiy dept. You could get an intrathecal, but they told everyone interested in one to wait as long as possible because they only last about 90 minutes and wear off very quickly... *lots* of unmedicated birthers here, even very mainstream moms. All my coworkers with children had undrugged births. They also do a lot of VBACs, I think. My coworker's daughter who had a C with her #1 wasn't even offered a repeat C date - it was assumed she'd VBAC when #2 was born.

I labored in the tub both times, no rules about food and drink, non-obtrusive (to me) intermittent monitoring (came in quietly, asked if it was a good time to listen for a minute). Heplocks aren't routine (though I had one with #2 for abx for GBS - I discussed it thoroughly with the midwives and elected to go ahead with it) I picked my own position to birth, no coached pushing, no routine episiotomy. Meconium in the water with #1 wasn't a panic and no ped was called "just in case." Breastfed immediately both times. All exams of the baby were done in the room, most with baby in my arms. The nursery was empty both times because rooming in is standard. Many nurses trained as LCs, got *great* breastfeeding advice, and never saw a drop of formula, nor coupons. Went home with a medela manual breastpump, a baby t-shirt, "goodnight Moon" and (with #2), "Helping Mommy Breastfeed" for big brother but no "breastfeeding success formula pack." Oh - and they use cloth diapers on all the babies in the hospital and all cloth chux pads.

All that said, if I have another, the only thing pulling me away from homebirth is the fact that I genuinely like the CNMs who delivered both my babies and would love to share another pregnancy and birth with them. If we were to move away from here I'd almost certainly be homebirthing, since I'm pretty sure that in many hospitals, #1 would have wound up being a C-section because labor got off to a slow start and never "got established" according to the charts in the Dublin Protocol. It was actually a short labor for a first baby, but it was atypical in a bunch of ways that would have freaked out a control-freak OB.
That sounds lovely. I'm moving to where you live!
#10 of 72 Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM

I would say that two of my births that were in a hospital were positive experienes. There was no separation, nobody really bothered us (I had a doula-necessity in my humble opinion), nurses were great, gave birth to son on hands and knees and doc let me stay like that to deliver placenta because I felt I couldn't move. Took early discharge with one with no hassles (stayed with other because I wanted some alone time with baby).

My son was very fussy right from birth, so one of the nurses held him for me while doing paperwork so I could get a shower.

I am a homebirth midwife, but homebirths are not for everyone. Nor is everyone who wants one going to be able to have one, so I am always happy to hear good hospital stories. There are lots of hardworking nurses out there trying their best under less than positive circumstances! I know, I was one!
#11 of 72 Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 AM

I had an excellent hospital birth, largely due to my excellent CNM. When my water broke almost 4 weeks early, she fudged the dates a bit so that I could avoid all of the "standard" interventions that the hospital insists on for early babies. Her only concession to SOP was that I had to have an IV port-thingy inserted, but she covered it with plastic so that I could get it wet.

As a result, I was able to labor in water and in the shower. Between the soothing water and the amazing doula that the hospital provided for free, I was never tempted to ask for drugs, even though I had many, many hours of back labor and pushed for almost 3 hours.

After Kate was born, they handed her to me immediately so that we could get to know each other a bit. Then the nurses and dh held her while the CNM stitched me up. DD was right next to me for the entire time I was in the hospital, and no one ever gave me a hard time about BFing or co-sleeping.
#12 of 72 Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 AM

I feel I had a great birth... knowing now what I do, it doesn't sound so great, but I have no regrets.

I had contractions 5 mins apart for 12 hrs after which I was 3 cm (ouch). I had an epidural. : I was able to rest and relax enough that 12 hrs after that I pushed my baby boy out into the world, the proudest moment of my life.

The hospital where I gave birth had a "family birthing centre". I had a FANTASTIC nurse who was with me for much of my late labour stages and all of the pushing.

The birthing centre has a rooming in policy. I was able to stay in the same room for labour, delivery and recovery. Again, I had a great nurse who tucked Trent and I into bed together propped up with blankets and showed me how to breastfeed him lying down.

I would definitely go back there again, but next time I think I will go with a midwife and I will be more educated (and experienced) so that I can avoid so much intervention. However, I feel good about the experience I had, that it was happy and peaceful.

I guess this won't sound fabulous because of the epidural and what not but you live and you learn. I guess I'm lucky it turned out so well.

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#13 of 72 Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just attended one a week ago. Granted she was only there for an hour before the baby was born, but absolutely no interventions. Laboring (and checked at her request when she felt rectal pressure) in the tub, pushed in her own time standing up, birthed squatting. No iv, ate what and when she wanted, you name it, it rocked. That all said, she had a very young and inexperienced resident and a very experienced, pro NCB nurse and a doula. The doc pretty much let us call the shots, was hugely easygoing about pretty much everything...except for pushing in the tub. You could tell she had never SEEN, let alone caught a baby born in a tub, and there was a look of "oh, crap, what do I DO if she won't get out!" written across her face for a moment there!

They CAN happen! However, they're few and far between.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#14 of 72 Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 PM

I had a great hospital birth. I laboured at home, I transferred to the hospital with my midwife when I was about 6 cm. I laboured in hospital in the company of my primary midwife, the midwifery student, and my husband. When I started to push (on my own accord), the midwife brought a hospital nurse in because the law says the second midwife needs to be there to catch the baby, or else they have to call hospital staff, and my baby was coming so fast they second midwife wasn't gonna get there in time!

I *was* subjected to the midwife whispering "push push push" at me, and because I'm sort of goal driven and I worried that something might be wrong with the baby, I pushed with everything I had, and tore (3rd degree-nuchal arm). Next time, I'll specify that no one tells me to push unless there actually is something wrong with the baby. I gave birth on hands and knees, the baby was put skin to skin right away, then later given to my husband while I squatted and pushed out the placenta. Cord was allowed to stop pulsing, we nursed right away, no poking and prodding until after we'd gotten an hour to chill. I was discharged from the labour room, two hours after delivery. I was in hospital for a grand total of 4 hours. Home by 3am, asleep by 4.

Drive by birth. I highly recommend it. I'd do it again.
#15 of 72 Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 PM

My dd's birth was traumatic, but that was beyond the control of anyone in attendance. She has a rare chromosome disorder and wasn't breathing well at birth, so was whisked away to the NICU.

BUT- labor and delivery itself was not a negative experience at all. I had wonderful, supportive nurses and two great midwives. My first midwife encouraged me to wait as long as possible before getting the epidural (I was on pitocin). And my second midwife, the one who delivered dd, was calm about me pushing for 3 hours, never mentioned the word c-section, and I only had a tiny tear. Everyone supported my decisions on position, when to walk, when to have my cervical checks, etc.

in an ideal world, she would have been born at home, but with all her health concerns I'm glad we were at a hospital with a high-tech NICU, she came home after 5 days. I was encouraged to pump by several nurses the night she was born and the lactation consultant visited the next and and literally patted me on the back when I said I wanted to continue to bf for at least a year.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#16 of 72 Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 AM

I had a mostly good hospital birth. The nurses were wonderful and really respected my wishes. Here's a link to my dd's story.

I don't know if I'll be so lucky next time. I've doula-ed at the same hospital where I gave birth since then and I've seen things happen that I don't want happening to me. I'm not going to take the risk next time, I'm either birthing in a FSBC or at home; haven't decided which yet.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#17 of 72 Old 08-26-2006, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had 2 great hospital births, the first one an induction that was still beautiful and wonderful and the 2nd totally natural and even better. I would like a homebirth but I really like my midwife practice and they don't do homebirths anymore. The midwives have hospital privileges and they have L&D nurses that work in their style so you can have a nice birth even at the hospital.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#18 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 12:49 AM

Yes, I had a very positive hospital birthing experience with my first DD. PM me for details because I fear that putting them here will lead to censorship and the thread being deleted.
#19 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 AM

I would actually strongly prefer to give birth at home or in a freestanding birth center (as I did with my second), but I live in a state that makes it a bit difficult. As soon as we get the laws changed (and maybe before if I get fed up enough) I'll be giving birth at home!

That said, I had a marvelous hospital birth this year! My nurse was excellent - volunteered to take me because she knows the types of births my midwife handles. I wore my own clothes, ate my own food, drank my own power drinks, was massaged with my own aromatherapy blend (rose, neroli and jasmine...mmmmmmmmm ), wasn't poked with a single needle, strapped with a single wire....you get the idea. I labored in the water until I started pushing, and could have stayed to give birth, but chose to hop out. Ds only left my sight once - with dad to do the hearing test.

We left 12 hours later in a snowstorm (I can't sleep in a hospital!), and I could not have been more satisfied, for a hospital. It can happen - you just have to know how to get it all set up beforehand.
#20 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 05:56 AM
WNB

Birth of my daughter was exactly as I wanted it: drug free, minimal interventions (external monitor, pitocin after delivery), baby given to me immediately and stayed within arm's reach (more accurately, mouth's reach) for probably 90% of the entire 36 hours we were there.

I believe this was in large part a result of my husband's medical background and his understanding of my desire for a drug-free delivery: I labored at home for most of it, and we left for the hospital at quite possibly the last moment possible for us to actually REACH the hospital before the baby was born. She wasn't crowning when we hit the parking lot, but she was born about 20 minutes after I got out of the car. He knew when we HAD to go, and I knew I could trust him to make those decisions correctly, and if necessary (unexpected traffic, flat tire, whatever), deliver the baby himself.

I got lots of support from the hospital staff in establishing breastfeeding: the baby was on the breast almost the whole time we were in the hospital, and they were very willing to delay whatever tests or checkups they had to make until she was finished feeding. Toward the end of our stay, I realized she'd not be finished, likely, ever, so would just pull her off for the few minutes they needed and then resume. There was no pressure from the staff, though, to do this.
#21 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEast
thread removed by moderator for UA violation
No, it wouldn't. Lots of us have positive hospital births. Relax.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#22 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Just had our htird baby this week and had our best hospital experience yet! I will say that I am just now inching away from the 'mainstream' and starting to educate myself more on choices in having a baby and how to raise them. That's why I'm reading this board so much! Having literally found this site a few weeks before giving birth there are things I would have changed if it was earlier on, but I wasn't going to switch from and OB to a CNM with a week to go...

I woke at 1:31 AM with a leak in my amniotic fluid. We hung around the house when I went into labor since I didn't expect things to move all that quickly. When we got to the hospital it was 4 AM. I was checked once and was 7 cm. Was sent to a room immediately and was 9 cm when they checked me again. I labored on the toilet for a few minutes and got back to the bed. DH never left my side. They dimmed the lights for us without us asking. DH tried to set up our radio but things happened a little to fast to get the iPod hooked up to it (I had a set of songs for each baby's birth and wanted to labor to them) I asked for an epidural : since I had never delivered without one and thought it would still take me an hour to push. It had taken that long to push both other babies before and I didn't think I could do it. The anesthesiologist, however, knew I could do it and he only put the test dose in the epi and told me to lean back. When I leaned back I felt my water break. I pushed once, felt his head crowning. Pushed again and got the head out. The nurse was so encouraging and was just telling me that I knew what I was doing, that I had great control and that I would deliver just fine! I felt his shoulders rotate and then two more pushes and he was out! All in less than 3 hours from when I first woke up. I was amazed! I had my smallest tear of all three kids and I felt great! A big thanks to the anesthesiologist who gave me the not-really-an-epidural epidural! He knew I didn't need it even when I thought I did. I picked up DS and nursed him ASAP. I was up and out of bed within half an hour. And my MIL (who is not known for her kind remarks) said that I looked like I had just gotten back from the store, not that I had just given birth! I think that is due to the ease of pushing which was due to me actually being able to push effectively and not pushing for an hour with no effect. They listened to and followed all my requests (no eye goop, delayed exam, baby never left me for the entire stay, early discharge from hospital) even with no birth plan since I didn't even think of these requests until the week or so before the birth! Oh, and I also labored and bore our son in my own tank top, no hospital gown or anything.

If I were to have another baby I would probably do a birth center (if we even have one around here - I don't know since I never looked into it!) and a CNM. I know myself as too much of a worrywart to be comfortable laboring at home. Then again, maybe a few more kids and I would....
#23 of 72 Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 PM

Two postive hospital births...and at VERY different types of hospitals. One in a big city teaching hospital and another at a rural, small-town hospital. In both cases, as soon as I made it clear I was not having an epidural, I was treated with great respect. The only intervention that was really advocated by the OB was pitocin post-delivery. (I agreed to that as long as it was not administered by IV-- didn't want the swelling.) Ate, drank, used the jacuzzi tub on my own schedule. With my 2nd, I held him and nursed him for over 40 min before anyone even tried to weigh him, clean him, etc-- and that was only because it was the end of their shift and they needed to go home. Rooming in was expected at both hospitals. I co-slept with ds in the hospital (though I was too hyped up to actually sleep) and no one said a word. With both births, I left the hospital early and felt terrific.

I do think that I had good experiences because dh and I had educated ourselves and were very clear about what we expected.
#24 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 AM

I was very happy with our birth experience with DS. We had a midwife-attended hospital birth. My water broke at 8am, midwife wanted me at the hospital within an hour as I had been 3cm dilated a few days before that at my regular appt. Our doula met us at the hospital.

I drank freely in labor, could have eaten if I wanted to, I mostly walked around listening to my hypnobirthing CDs and talking w/ DH. Hypno worked like a charm, the nurses just watched us like we were insane as we were laughing and talking during contractions.

The hospital did "require" (I probably could have refused this) EFM, but my midwife was okay with doing it every hour and a half or so for a few mins. That was the only time I had discomfort, and my L&D nurse wanted me on my back in bed to do the monitoring (which is why I was uncomfortable). The doula was a great asset and basically suggested the nurse figure out a way to hook me up to the monitors without me being on my back, and while it took some effort, she did that. THe nurse basically left me alone, which is what I wanted. I didn't really need my doula's assistance for the most part, but she was still a wonderful presence.

I labored in the tub during transition. This hospital did not allow water births but I don't feel I missed out. I didn't feel strongly that I needed to have a water birth, but liked laboring in the water. I was ready to get out after 20 mins or so though.

My biggest complaint is that this particular midwife, when I told her my plans to do hypnobirthing and when she read my birthplan, kind of laughed at the notion of "breathing the baby down" saying I'd want to push and push hard when the time came. It kind of annoyed me. I specified no coached pushing, but somehow, the L&D nurse and midwife kind of forgot about that aspect : and considering my midwife's previous comments, I shouldn't have been surprised. At that point though, I was not in the mood to discuss it. DS was out with 15 mins of pushing anyway. He nursed immediately (doula helped). I specified in birthplan we wanted cord to stop pulsating before cut, time to bond, etc.and those things were adhered to. We were with him about 1.5 hours before he was taken to the nursery (which I did not want, but they did the exam there with DH watching). Overall, I had an easy recovery (took one motrin for muscle soreness the next day), but I think not having the whole forceful/coached pushing would have helped prevent some of that. My entire labor (first baby) was 6hrs 20 mins or so.

Overall, it was a very good experience. This time around I'm using a birth center, and there will be no EFM and I will discuss beforehand my experiences with my previous midwife (different state) with the midwives at the birth center.

The hospital stay itself sucked (my nurse forgot to bring me food after the labor, they never brought me dinner, and DS was on the list to be circ'd somehow even though every single piece of paperwork said NO circ. Fortunately DH was at the nursery and a nurse asked him about it and erased his name from this list : . I didn't get much rest from being woken up repeatedly all night long to take my temp and push on my uterus...which seemed pointless since i felt fine. We roomed in and barely saw the nursing staff other than their temp checks, so it felt kind of ridiculous, and I think I'll recover better at home this time. I should have asked for early discharge but wasn't sure if I should speak up...which was stupid in retrospect, as I would have gotten much more rest at home. No problems with refusing vaxes. We were fine with Vit K and we did do eye ointment, although this time I'll skip it for sure.

Overall though, for a hospital birth, we had a great experience. No pressure to give formula, we had a decent LC come visit us before we went home, and pretty low-intervention overall. I could have possibly avoided some of the other interventions if I pushed hard enough I'm sure. I avoided the ones most important to me though. I didn't care for recovering in a hospital, and that's one thing that has pushed me toward a birth center this time around (would have done it last time but the nearest was a long drive away).

I wish you the best. I think the keys are your care provider (midwife or OB), and their personal philosophies and openness to natural childbirth (so many talk the talk but don't walk the walk, kwim?), researching as much as you can beforehand, learning hospital policies (the hospital closest to my house still required hep locks, no eating/drinking in labor, etc. so I traveled 45 mins to a hospital with more sensible policies and one that had midwives), and having a good birth plan. Remember you can say NO to most interventions once you are there but the pressure may make that very difficult.

HTH.
#25 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#26 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM

I did with both births, and I had no clue until I went online and talked to other ladies and saw how it's done in other areas.

Both times, I was allowed to walk around as much as I wanted, use a birthing ball, drink what I wanted, eat what I wanted (although I prefer not to eat at all during labour... I'm mostly focused on the task at hand) , the hospital is VERY pro-breastfeeding with LC on hand at all times, no nursery (ALL babies room in... if you're having problems you just get extra nurse attention). Although I don't remember much of my births (pain med free and I was in a haze), there was only one nurse in there the whole time that would come and go.. she wasn't there constantly. As I was giving birth, a single doctor would come in to do the actual birth. There was no coached pushing. I told them when I felt like pushing, and was allowed to push through the contraction as opposed to the set ten seconds. Episiotomies are not routine, and I actually don't know anyone who has had one.
#27 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Well, mine was what most would consider fabulous. Even my doula thought it was a GREAT birth. And I am grateful that I had such an unusually fulfilling hospital birth. But it wasn't good enough for me, and my biggest regret is not having a homebirth. My birth story is here. Basically, I was only there for 2.5 hours before giving birth, had no medication, was able to move freely, only intervention was EFM, baby was delivered by a CNM, I was able to eat and drink, was never separated from my baby, and left that day.
What frustrated me was being given a hard time and trying to be coerced into doing what I wasn't comfortable with. For example, the nurse tried to get me to start pushing when I was at 7 cm and felt NO urge to do so, the nurse almost refused to bring me the birthing stool, they had me switch from hands and knees to being on my side because the baby was coming so fast, and they tried to get me to agree to cut the cord before the placenta was out. I felt a lot of disrespect from the way I was treated. The nurse lied to me at one point by telling me the baby's heart rate dropped, to force me to lay down during a contraction so she could monitor the baby for a moment. She later was trying to get me to lay down to monitor again, during a contraction, and towards the end, rudely told me the contraction was over. I thought, Don't tell me what's going on with my own body! After my daughter was born, they said she was having trouble breathing and suctioned her, which I wanted to avoid and found unnecessary.
The worry of being hassled, or someone doing something against my wishes, as well as the fear of being under the care of people I don't know and don't trust, just isn't worth it to me. Everyone I know IRL thinks I'm crazy for having any complaints about my birth experience. It completely depends on your standards and what you value during birth. My birth was nowhere near as fulfilling and sacred as it could have been if I had stayed home.
#28 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Yeah I don't see how very many women can have a great hospital birth. I don't see how any women wants to go to a hospital and have a bunch of people touching and staring at their privates even being in a position that they make you be in is humiliating call me ultra modest but I don't see how any women can deal with that just the thought of it grosses me out. I would totally be closing my vagina if people other than my husband were touching me down there. We did not create our children with a person around so why should we birth our children with a person between our privates? It dosen't make sense to me. 95% of births can successfully take place at home.
#29 of 72 Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
No, it wouldn't. Lots of us have positive hospital births. Relax.
I'm relaxed. But thanks for your concern.
#30 of 72 Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 AM

I had an AMAZING birth with my youngest!!!!

I was due the day before the anniversary of my sister's death and the possibility that my new baby would be born on that day was really not a good thing emotionally for me. With this being my 3rd baby, I went to my m/w appointment the day before my due date and requested to be checked. I was 5cms/50%effaced and baby was fully engaged. I was only at -1, but, this was a 3rd baby afterall and things would go fast once started. I begged for her to get things going so I would *hopefully* not give birth on the anniversary day. I cried with my midwife and we talked for about an hour. We decided to get me into the hospital and induce me that evening. Well, I got to the hospital was given prostglandin gel and that was enough to put me into labor. I never had external fetal monitoring on. I was never checked other than at admission until 90 minutes before I gave birth and that was at my request. I asked for a birthing ball right away when they put the gel in. I was assigned the most FABULOUS nurse!!! Once every 30-45 minutes she would come in and just listen to baby's hb with the doppler and respect my birth bubble I'd created. I was NEVER ONCE told I couldn't do something or that *policy* would restrict my choices. I was left to labor my own way in my own time. It was fabulous. I walked the halls and just was in my zone. I laid in the tub and just moaned as needed. Finally about 90 minutes before I delivered (just 6 hrs after admission to the hospital) I requested to be checked since I felt in there and baby's head was about an inch in. I could only feel a little cervix left and I was getting *grunty*. 8cm/fully effaced +1. She called my m/w. The birthing tub was filled and I got in. I pushed as *I* wanted. I was only told to slow down the pushing so I wouldn't tear. When baby came out I pulled her up onto my chest! The cord was not cut until I was ready to get out of the birthing tub about 20 minutes later to deliver the placenta. It was cut at my request since Megan's cord was very short and too difficult to get me and baby out of the tub connected. I declined hep b, vit k, and eye ointment. The nurse was laughing that as I was pushing I took the time to yell "No hep b, vitamin k or eye goop!" All baby vitals were taken with her on my chest either being held or nursing. She was never held by any nurse or doctor at the hospital. We put every cloth diaper and article of clothing on her. The nurse asked if I would like to wait to bathe Megan until I went home!!! Megan and I were discharged less than 10 hrs after delivery!!! The experience was the best it could have been!!! If we have any more babies I would be blessed to have as fabulous of an experience as we did with Megan!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page