Why can't people just wait for their baby to make the decision to be born?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice
Because they are moving.

Seriously
My SIL was induced because they had an out of state move schedualed three weeks after DN due date.
Yep. My friend ("due" 2 days before me) was induced four days befor her edd - same reasons. Surprise. She ended up with a section. My little guy came four days after his due date (spontaneously). I'm convinced that had I had him in the hospital, I would have ended up with interventions - who knows what would have happened with an induction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 73 Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM

I think fear of stillbirth is the biggest motivator. At least, it's what I hear about the most as a justification of inducing. All the stories about the baby being "fine" at 40 weeks and stillborn three days later ...!!

My sister NCB'd her first, and asked for (and received) an induction with her second - one day beyond her due date. She did it for two reasons. First, her doctor was going out of town and she wanted him to deliver, not a strange doctor. Second, she was very uncomfortable and thought it was time for baby to be born. Her doctor told her he doesn't normally induce, but since she has been such a "happy" pregnant woman he deferred to how she was feeling.

Her ds was born at 10 1/2 pounds and 24 inches long (this explains how uncomfortable she was I guess). I almost wonder about her due date being inaccurate in the opposite direction (so babe was 42 weeks or something) .... ?

I recommended against induction - everyone I know IRL who's had one has had a very hard/difficult labor. And I'd think that the medical intervention "cascade" is pretty well known, too. But my sister said that both friends she has who've had them, have said that the labor was easier. And she told me that her labor was also easier than it was with #1 (of course, with #1, she was told to hold off on pushing when she hit 10 cm for half an hour so the doctor could make it ).

I think the hot button which would really scare me (and possibly cause me to have an induction) would be if the doc said that there was a concern about my baby's health. Otherwise, not a big deal. When people ask when I'm due (what's with the clerk at the grocery store needing to know this, anyway??) - I always say, "Late September, but any time - our first was 10 days early." I don't want people freaking out if our baby comes "too soon" for their calculations - but I'd also rather they not know the exact date for the same reasons everyone else has given. Ina was "due" Oct. 24th but according to my math, she was actually due Oct. 17th. So Oct. 14th makes sense KWIM? I think the predictors assume cyles of a certain # of days, etc. and don't take individual cycles into consideration. I ovulate earlier in my cycle than "expected."

Not all who wander are lost.
#63 of 73 Old 08-31-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh
I think the hot button which would really scare me (and possibly cause me to have an induction) would be if the doc said that there was a concern about my baby's health.
While I understand that and in theory agree with it, here's my problem: at 36 weeks, the medwife/ob I was seeing started pushing me for an induction/elective cs. When I asked why, they said dd was "too big." I asked if there were any signs of problems with either one of us and the answer was no. They *continued* to push for induction/elective cs at EVERY SINGLE VISIT until I went into labor on my own at 40w5d. There was never any problem with either one of us, but if I had just relied on their recommendation and body language, I'd have seriously thought dd was near death. They were that freaked out because she was "too big." In my admittedly limited experience, most mainstream women accept what their doctors tell them at face value. They don't question anything! In my personal experience, they were willing to strong-arm and SCARE me into an induction/section, even when there was no medical reason AT ALL. :

Oh yeah, another one of my favorites from that awful practice: We don't let our mothers go past 40 weeks. Really? Well, then, I'm glad I'm not your mother. :

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#64 of 73 Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM

Interesting discussion, mamas, yes yes.

As I read all the replies, and contemplate the title of this thread, it makes me wonder: how many babies make the decision when to be born, here in the 2000s?

We have quite a lot of unnatrually-arranged dates of birth, if you think about the data. First of all, we can think about all the babies in this discussion, the "elective inductions" whose birthdates are chosen by OB schedules. Next, there are all of the the scheduled c-sections.

Then there are all of those augmented labors...how many of those babies might have stuck around in utero for another day or so? I think of my second pregnancy, when I was having regular ctx that fooled my hb mws....but my ds wasn't born for another 10 days--how many hospitals might have gone ahead and augmented that labor with Pit? giving my ds a birth day 10 days earlier than he chose?

Or what about the "slowly progessing" labor, wherein the OB doesn't want to do a c-sec at 3:00 am, but rather before midnight....a smaller group of those babies, to be sure, but they're still there, not choosing their dates of birth.

How many babies is that?
#65 of 73 Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
I would also say- plan for your baby to be overdue- if not- those extra weeks are sooooo dreadful!
Yep, my "due date" is 11/12, but I'm not expecting to go any earlier than the 20th. And I'm okay with passing that too (although I may get a little antsy)

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#66 of 73 Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM

so here i sit, 5 days past due with baby critter number one.
yes, my body is swollen, i've gained more weight than i thought i would, but i'm not THAT uncomfortable, and i REALLY want to meet this kid!

had a non-stress test this morning, all looks fine, and doc is not pushing for induction at all. thank goodness for the wait and see attitude, as i would be happiest if this kid picks his time. maybe the hurricane will trigger him, or maybe the full moon?

i do have to say that every second i don't feel him move, i worry.
and i've got so much mucus, i'm not sure how on earth i am drinking enough to replace the fluid. (tested, nope, not amniotic)
contractions have been happening for about a week and a half, but not in an organized way.
man, it's starting to drive me a little nuts thinking, 'is this it? no. ok is THIS it?'

i can see how some moms just cannot stand the worry anymore, especially if they've had a rough time in the past.
i feel for them, and will get back to you next week if this little dude hasn't made his debut.

expectantly expectant

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#67 of 73 Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyshoes
Interesting discussion, mamas, yes yes.

As I read all the replies, and contemplate the title of this thread, it makes me wonder: how many babies make the decision when to be born, here in the 2000s?

We have quite a lot of unnatrually-arranged dates of birth, if you think about the data. First of all, we can think about all the babies in this discussion, the "elective inductions" whose birthdates are chosen by OB schedules. Next, there are all of the the scheduled c-sections.

Then there are all of those augmented labors...how many of those babies might have stuck around in utero for another day or so? I think of my second pregnancy, when I was having regular ctx that fooled my hb mws....but my ds wasn't born for another 10 days--how many hospitals might have gone ahead and augmented that labor with Pit? giving my ds a birth day 10 days earlier than he chose?

Or what about the "slowly progessing" labor, wherein the OB doesn't want to do a c-sec at 3:00 am, but rather before midnight....a smaller group of those babies, to be sure, but they're still there, not choosing their dates of birth.

How many babies is that?
Yeah, that really makes you stop & think! So many are born when they're not ready, which I find so terribly sad .

Ugh, WHY is it so hard for people to understand that babies know when they are ready to be born??

#68 of 73 Old 09-02-2006, 06:14 AM

I just had my 3rd child 9 weeks ago and he was induced:. I was two weeks overdue and HUGE but I was extremely reluctant to be induced. My first was 10 days over her due date and my second two - so I really didn't consider them late.

I kept waiting on that baby and in the end my doc said she was concerned and mentioned the risk of stillbirth. That was the ONLY thing that frightened me enough to accept being induced - obviously.

He was 10lb 12oz : but I'm very happy to say I did not have a cesearian and he is totally healthy and nursing up a storm. I don't know what he weighs right now but he weighed 12lb at two and a half weeks and 15.5lb at six.

I am not a big person, before this pregnancy I was a size 4.

It was very hard for the doc to break my waters, she said that the membranes were very strong and that he was "sewn in there". So who knows how long and how big he would have been if I had not been induced? He showed absolutely no signs of getting ready for labor.

I really don't know what to compare it to, whether it was "wrong" or "right" - I am just glad that the baby and I are healthy and happy.

Comment by doc as he was delivered "You're not having a baby, you're having a toddler!"
#69 of 73 Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duchess
Comment by doc as he was delivered "You're not having a baby, you're having a toddler!"
I got that a lot with my 10 lb. 9 oz. dd.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#70 of 73 Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 AM

I am reading these posts about the providers pressuring mamas towards elective c-sections, and it reminds me that doctors could be financially motivated to do more c-sections, as well as being motivated by scheduling factors, etc. I'm not sure exactly how much is costs to do a c-section these days, but I would imagine that a doctor's c-section rate would significantly affect the bottom line of his practice year after year. Think if a doctor did 20% c-sections last year, and this year it looked like he was going to do fewer surgeries, his practice would make less money this year! How many doctors out there would look at the numbers and decide that maybe s/he would recommend a few extra sections so that s/he could pay the bills?

This is another reason I really like the midwifery/OB model I hear they have going on in Great Britain as well as elsewhere in the world. From what it sounds like, pregnant women go to see midwives and only get involved with an OB if the pregnancy appears to be risky in some way, requiring the expertise of the OB to deal with the risk. In this model, the midwife is highly motivated to keep her client as healthy and low-risk as possible, otherwise she loses the client and the income from treating that client, which in turn affects HER bottom line. I have to say that I would much prefer to be treated by someone who is motivated to keep me healthy than by someone who will financially benefit from my needing (or being convinced that I need) intervention-type treatments.

I know for a fact that the total cost for my homebirth treatment with a birthing center in Northern VA was less than $4000 (thanks health insurance, for covering the full amount!) whereas if I went into a local hospital and had a 'typical' birth experience there, the cost would be estimated at $8000 (at least it was when I researched it 2 years ago).

In other news, after I came here Tuesday night and vented about my induction fears, I had a good ol' crying jag, and when I woke up 5 hours later, I was in labor! It only took 2 hours and 20 minutes for me to go from 0 to 100 miles per hour, and I ended up having my daughter minutes before the midwives and my mother (racing like mad to get there in time) arrived. My lucky husband caught her, and I didn't tear! 2 year old DS hid under our cosleeper during the action, then went down to unlock the front door (ack!) for everyone who arrived within the next 4 minutes. She is 10 lbs 8 oz, also a fierce nurser who got my milk going in 2 days flat. Obviously she they type of person who likes to get things done quickly, a little more intense than DS!

So, if you are worried about inducing, another suggestion I have is to vent here at the forum and maybe it will get things going for you!

-dflanag2
#71 of 73 Old 09-03-2006, 02:30 AM

hugs to you waiting mamas. I really did go insane and the worry! oh my. E?verything was fine babies come when ready.

LOULOUbean! Enjoy these last few days. First babies come an average of 8 days past due- my 2nd baby was 12 days after edd.

Have your husband paint your toe nails- give you a massage and love each other and your last moments.

Your life will never be the same again.

Keep us posted!
#72 of 73 Old 09-03-2006, 03:16 AM

How many women do you think actually know that induction makes labor harder?

I don't know if I would be quick to say that every woman that is induced is being "selfish." Culture has taught women to put their faith in doctors and not their own bodies. There is also a larger edification of the medical world in general, the psychological, physical, and physiological ramifications of that extends beyond pregnancy and childbirth.

The discussion most doctors have with their patients about induction is probably scant at most. That of course, doesn't mean that women shouldn't educate themselves, but society has taught them to put the responsibility of birthing their babies into someone else's hands. Does that make them selfish? For most women, I don't think so.

The larger issue at hand concerns societal constructs surrounding pregnancy and childbirth.
#73 of 73 Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 AM

I WAS aware that induction makes labor harder. Where did I get that information? From the childbirth preparation classes at my local hospital.

This hospital was the first in the US to be named "baby friendly" by the UN because of it's excellent breastfeeding rates. It has a large breastfeeding center which sells slings, rents breast pumps and has old copies of "Mothering" in the waiting room.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page