More scared about giving birth second time around - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm pregnant with number 2, and I've been freaking out about giving birth again.

I am more stressed about it this time round than I was before I had number 1.

I think it is because I know what to expect.

I'm stressed about the pain (afterwards), the discomfort, the bleeding, the feeling like you've been hit by a train for a few days, the lack of sleep, the painful resumption of intimacy with DH etc etc.

Anyone else go through this?
#2 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 07:02 PM

I'm going through it now too, and this is baby #6! I think about labor & delivery, and I start getting all nervous & scared. So you're not alone!!

#3 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 PM

yep...and im not even preggo with #2 yet..but all of it scares me....
with #1, i had a REALLY idealized version/expectation....and the reality (note: I did NOT have a great birth, lol) was like a mack truck hit me
This time around, I am scared.

CPST
#4 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh, I went through that! You bet I did. My first birth was kind of traumatic, and would have most likely been a c-section if I had been in the hospital. I was scared of having complications arise again, and scared of going through all that pain again. I wasn't sure I could handle it to tell you the truth. But..the good news is that you have been through it before, and knowledge is power, so read and educate yourself to know the signs of complications and of a normal labor. I kind of though I knew it all after my first birth, but then I went and read and re-read my books, looked at the statistics, and realized that my risk of having major complications was very low. Also, second babies tend to be quicker and easier than first babies on average. So just take a deep breath, relax, and have faith in your body.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#5 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 09:31 PM

I was scared for my second birth, but it was awesome in comparison! Less than half the time, UC, lovely! Now....I'm a little scared about this third one...
#6 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 09:50 PM

Me! But I was 15 when I had my DD...so I think I was too young and naive to be scared.Now I know more, and have done all my research....and I'm quite nervous. My first was totally medically managed in a hospital..AWFUL. This time will be all natural in a birth center. So I'm also nervous about that...especially the pain.
#7 of 12 Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Dude, I've barely recovered from number one, and I'm already dreading the pain of number two...
#8 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM

I was fearful as I thought it would be like with ds- and this time I was going to be at home! WITH NO DRUGS! I started reading the birth stories on here and it helped a ton! Knowing I was not alone and others had gone before me. It changed how I viewd it. It did hurt tho- only for awhile- then I had my baby.... but the afterbirth pains- no one told me about.
#9 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Yeah...I'm scared of the after birth pain...and of course, scared of the pain of labor and birth...eeeks. But, what can I do now?
We'll see!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#10 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Yep, working on number 8 right now and more nervous and scared than ever! But apparently it can't be all that bad after all I am doing it once again.

Kasey
#11 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 PM

Yep, I was. But birth #2 was nothing like birth 1. In my case, it was like doing it all over again with no previous experiance.
#12 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 AM

My first birth was very hard to get through, plus I was naive about what it would entail, but my second birth was absolutely perfect and exactly how I pictured --A sunny peaceful day surrounded by loving friends and family and a beautiful peaceful baby at the end of a short labor in a pool of warm water...... Any time I worried I changed my thoughts to only allow positive images of birth to come through. Its important not to dwell on the bad, sometimes we bring to life the things we think upon or even the words that come out of our mouths. Have faith in your ability to birth with a baby and you made it the first time and chances are the second is easier anyway. A great book that deals with emotional aspects of birth is Birthing from Within, it helped me alot. Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page