Sick of boring birth stories. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking for some decent birth stories. No offense at all to the moms whose labours went like this, but I keep reading the same story with fill in the blanks!

I got to the hospital at __ cm and made it to __ cm before I asked for the epi. They made me ______ and let me ________. I had one nurse who kept _______ but overall it was ______. My whole labour was about __ hours and my baby was __ pounds __ oz.

:

So.... does anyone know of any websites with some more personal birth stories?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm confused? Where are you reading these stories? I feel like the birth in the Birth Stories forums on this site are often about UCs, home water births, etc - not always, but regularly. Do you mean on other sites?

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#3 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 PM

Try this site.. it is based in the UK but it is what inspired me to even want a home/waterbirth to begin with.

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/hbstories.htm

Lots of amazing stories!
#4 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM

There are tons of awesome birth stories here! See if you can find flyingspagettimama's, I think her's was super.
#5 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Mine's pretty boring for an NCB..(the one with DD)

Started contracting/barfing 11pm

Took gravol

Slept
Water broke, woke up 10am
paged midwife
midwife arrived
pushed
DD arived at 12:12pm

voila...

You dont want me to get into the emotional aspects because I'm still quite bitter.
#6 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 PM

My birth story was nothing like what you described but I'm having hypersensitive hormonal hurt feelings on behalf of mamas who might feel exposed and sad after having shared such an intimate event in public...only to hear it pshawed as "boring."
#7 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 10:21 PM

mine is in my siggy!
#8 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 PM

You've reminded me of yet another project I need to get working on -- a page of links to my favorite stories for my blog.

I know what you mean about those kind of stories -- they start to feel so generic. I myself tend to fell compelled to include those kind of details while even knowing that nobody cares and that it doesn't make for good storytelling.

Anyway, I've found many inspiring stories here at MDC. Try empoweredbirth.com (one of mine is up there somewhere,) and ucbirth.com. There are some good ones at birthlove.com too (it's a subscription site.)

I love Sarah Buckley's account of her daughter's unassisted breech birth:
http://www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/maias-birth.htm

ETA: I love your story hawkfeather!
#9 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 PM

I read hawkfeather's every time UI see her post

Go check out the Birth Stories forum here! It won't let you down!

Namaste, Tara
#10 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

and I didn't mean to offend anybody, I said that in my original post. But yes, I was reading stories on another site, and they sounded more like a step by step guide than the birth of a child. I'm just looking to read some stories that will get me looking forward to my baby being born!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 57 Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
There are tons of awesome birth stories here! See if you can find flyingspagettimama's, I think her's was super.
: And she's one of the funniest people here! I heart FSM.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#12 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 AM

I understand what you mean. My own birth stories are basic and boring. The only thing that makes mine stand out is that I have SO many and they are all at home.

Individually, I think my own stories are boring. But I do love reading others stories, no matter how basic they are. I just tend to get very "verbally opinionated" when I read the hospital ones. That is why I don't usually coment on them.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 AM

not to brag or toot my own horn, but...my birth stories R O C K!~ they're in my siggy

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#14 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

It's not even a matter of whether it's a hospital or homebirth I'm reading (although I prefer homebirth stories, since I'm planning one) it's birth stories that consist mainly of numbers and proceedures. I want to know what a mom is feeling, physically and emotionally. I know what happens during labour, dilation, effacement and all that-- that's not the story though.

#15 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like reading other people's birth stories. I think I, an online stranger to them, am lucky to be allowed to share in such a personal family moment. I don't find any of the birth stories I've read so far, here and on other sites, to be boring. Each birth is different. Each mama tells her story differently.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#16 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

[730am- God said, “Quit yer bitchin, here’s your baby.”]

: Amyjeans, that's the GREATEST!!!

#17 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 AM

Well, the birth story of my second isn't boring. But it is filled with interventions and in a hospital setting. I wish I had read some stories about emergencies or premature birth. I was so unprepared and so devastated. I wish I had a boring birth story instead of the one I ended up writing. Sorry, I know that isn't very inspirational.
#18 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 AM

Lousli, I think birth stories where things go in a way that is unexpected are important too... you never know when it might be YOUR birth going unexpectedly and knowing another mama went through it might help, I imagine!

I don't think OP was referring to birth stories on THIS SITE for the record. She's referring to stories that sound like an episode of the Discovery "Birth Day" shows, where moms are both uninformed and unempowered. Since those are the NORM, sadly, I can see how they could get repetetive. (I had to stop watching/reading them! They break my heart and make me soooo mad!) And I know there are a ton of amazing birth stories here... I have LOOOOOVED reading them. (Thank you! To all the mamas who have written them! Thank you thank you!!!!) I only suggested the site I did because I found that... *somehow*... before I ever found MDC. It was what first made me start exploring homebirth, because I used to think the whole idea was crazy! yanno, back in the day! I also like how well organized it is in terms of descriptions of each one, etc... nice to be able to browse that way, and always nice to have another option and another resource!
#19 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 AM

mine is in the form of a poem. you can do a search for it in the birth stories forum if you'd like to read it.
#20 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 AM

I hope that while it may not be written in a way that is capturing, that the fact that a new life came into the world and began their life as their own person keeps being facinating for you. I am sad about interventions when I read some stories, but I am always heartened by the birth of a baby.

I just wrote a UC story in the birth stories area.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#21 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 AM

Have you read here in the birth stories forum Yin Yang's Birth of Samuel...a slide show ? It is really beautifully done, no words needed.
#22 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 AM

Frankly, I hope I end up with the most boring, bland, colorless birth in the world. I hope it is so dull and typical that I can't even write abou it! Something along the lines " contractions steadily progressing, good pressing on my cervix, opening up, after 6 hours ready to push, 1.5 hours later baby out." Snooze. But I would be eternally grateful.

To end up with a birth that isn't 42 hours of hopeless agony or three hours of overwhelming shock. If you want to read otherwise, www.abrosenlund.com (username 4cmopen, password 3567).

Some of the birth stories on MDC are quite unusual and empowering. Yin yangs is so positive, and Inca's is so surprising - talk about totally UC.
Allison
#23 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM

Just because you put the words "I don't mean to offend" in your post doesn't mean that you WON'T offend, or that people do not have the right to feel offended at your words either. If anything, it points out that you already know that your words ARE going to offend someone.

That said - I do understand about the repetitive nature of such stories. I see them a lot on the more mainstream sites I visit.

To find truly inspiring, heart-wrenching stories, read through the ones on here - they have much more flavour and variety to them.

Oh, and the stories of both of my children are linked to in my sig - both quite boring in thier own rights, and I sincerely hope to be able to post another equally boring story come December of this year.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#24 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 PM

She didn't say her words wouldn't offend, she said her intention wasn't to offend -- in other words, that's not what was driving the OP. "I don't mean to offend" means "the purpose of this is not to offend others." It's perfectly valid for her to clarify that at the outset.

Although I have to admit I don't quite understand why it's offensive, when it's not personal. No one's pointing fingers at any particular story. And some birth stories are written in a boring way. Some people are just not good writers. That's not to denigrate the birth experience itself or them as human beings. You're really not going to know anything about either from a bunch of numbers and generic descriptions. And I think that was the point of the OP.

For my part, I've read hundreds of birth stories, and at some point after the first few dozen, the type of "story" (really not a story at all) that goes like the OP described makes your eyes start to glaze over with the very first sentence. If I'm a big meany for saying so, so be it.

So, Frontier, what compelling stories have you found? I thought of a few more:

Birth As Sheer Pleasure http://www.natural-wisdom.com/birthpleasure.htm

The Birth of Grey Forest Walt http://rachyllgyne.tripod.com/thebirthofgreyforestwalt/

The Birth Rite of Samuel Rune http://rachyllgyne.tripod.com/thebirthriteofsamuelrune/
#25 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM

hugs mama! the birth stories on here got me through ands helped me so much. Have yiou rerad any on here. The stories you arfe talking about- really helped confirm my resolve in having a hb.
#26 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 PM

IKWYM Kati. When I was awaiting the birth of my first, several people told me & I read a lot of birth stories that made me want to just cry. It all sounded so clinical and, well, dull. The cold facts just make my eyes want roll. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear about new babies, but I really don't want to read a post like the one you have in the OP. However, since I got the internet, I have discovered so many that are fantastic. A lot of the moms here are very talented writers, as are many of the blogs I visit.

Not that I am that fantastic with the written word... but here are my blog entries about my two births; DD and DS's here and (my favorite) here

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#27 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I was preg with DS #1, I got the most info from the UC stories. Many of them went into alot of detail about how it felt, what their emotions were like, etc. And of course there wasn't all that "I was ___cm dilated", since they weren't worried about that. That's probably what you're looking for, and links to good UC story sites have already been posted.

I felt *very* empowered after reading the UC stories, and I wasn't (and still am not) planning a UC.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#28 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 PM

I'll read a hundred boring stories if they show empowered women whose birth is not controlled by others. Unfortunately, that's not that you get on most mainstream boards. It gets repetitive in a heartbreaking and annoying way if I can predict in line 2 what will happen in line 4. I've never had this feeling with homebirths, even the boring ones ( I want a boring one,too!)
#29 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, mine might not be too exciting (it wasn't long enough for that!) but the link is in my siggie (click on DD's name) if ya want to check it out.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#30 of 57 Old 09-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Well, if you want an exciting UC 60 hour labour with a happy ending and full of emotions:
Sequoia's birth(its a website in hebrew but if you scroll down a little to the first stuff in english, that's it.)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page