"How long did you push for?" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
20 minutes with 1st.

2 minutes with second. 1 push and she crowned.
#62 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 AM

I had an epidural and labored down. Then three pushes-- total of a minute or two, including placenta.
#63 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 AM

2 hours, he was 8'11
#64 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseq
3 Hours

The "medically inclined midwife" said I was at 10, so I could push. I know better now!
4 hours.

Ditto! I'll not do that again - will wait until I have the URGE, rather than what someone else thinks. Hindsight is 20/20, eh?
#65 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
About 15 minutes... Stupid directed pushing though. I should have taken a little longer so I wouldn't tear. : First push my body told me to do... Second push my body didn't tell me to do, but the nurse said to push on the contraction (which I didn't feel). Baby's head was out on 2nd push. Then third push was again on the next contraction when nurse told me it was happening, and body was out on that push.

I think 30 minutes probably would have been better, to allow my body to stretch for that baby, but oh well. Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and directed pushing sucks!

Oh, and I'm *assuming* it was 15 minutes... I was in the antepartum unit at 7pm (nursing shift change!) and a few minutes thereafter when transition had hit, and they started wheeling my bed out the door, and I felt the urge to push but was told to "close your legs and don't push". They ran me down the hall to the LDR and then moved me to the LDR bed (why would anyone want to labor in that horrible bed?), and we had to wait for NICU team, OB, etc. to assemble. Baby was born at 7:37pm. I'm pretty sure about half the time between transition and baby being born was moving me to the LDR and waiting to be "allowed" to push. :

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#66 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure - maybe 30 minutes or so with DS.

With DD - maybe 5 ?

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#67 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM

2.5 hours with my first, just under an hour with my second. My second felt like forever because I still had a lip of cervix when I started pushing and nothing was happening. After my midwife massaged it with EPO HOLY COW things moved fast!!
#68 of 88 Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM

20 minutes. But it only felt like 5.
#69 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 12:40 AM

It seemed really quick, but the official MWs record is that I pushed for 45 minutes. It was a pretty relaxing time, though.
#70 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 AM

About an hour
#71 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetesss
So what's the correlation between length of time for pushing and whether the pushing is directed or not? I'm assuming that non directed pushing will be for a shorter amount of time... or is that not always true?

Not sure but it makes sense to me.

With my first - I pushed for 2.5 hours with my first. I came into the birthcenter at 9cm, got in tub and midwife told me to push. I got out after 1 hour due to my raised heart rate, pushed for another 1.5 hours on my hands and nees on the bed and delivered my 9 lb baby girl.

Second babe was a c-section
#72 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
4th baby but first to pass thru my pelvis, pushed for 1 hr 40 minutes. By body just took over, I remember getting into the water and having a couple of contractions that I made different noises with, I looked up at my doula friend and said " Is this what they call pushing?" , that was just the beginning....what power the body has! I loved feeling her head and felt that I was not on this Earth during that time.
#73 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 03:06 AM

I was lucky and even though I had an epidural, no one was in any hurry for me to push (or even to check me!) and I think I was complete for quite some time before I started to feel like it was time to push (the epi had all but worn off).

So I think I only pushed through 4 or maybe 5 contractions - I dunno - 25 minutes maybe? It felt like no time at all. I was just getting my groove on with pushing (it is lots more difficult when you have had an epidural and lost the natural rhythym of labor) and all of a sudden she was crowning and then she was out!

ETA my doula did direct the pushing. It was kind of annoying at the time but she helped me to visualize how to bear down efficiently (since I had had the epi, I couldn't really trust my body to do this naturally and I was pushing really ineffectively at first and it didn't feel right.) In my case non-directed pushing probably would have taken longer.

The good thing was that the attending MD really supported my perineum and I only had a minor tear, even though I was in the dreaded lithotomy position (well, sort of semi-sitting, but definitely not the ideal position for opening the pelvic outlet).
#74 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 AM

3 hours. I also started way too early... midwives said it was ok for me to push whenever I felt the urge, and I *thought* I felt a teeny bit like pushing, so I started trying . I had no idea how strong the *actual* urge to push would be, so I'm sure if I'd waited until I really felt it, the whole process would have been much shorter. That was an excruciatingly long 3 hours!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#75 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 AM

Almost 2 hours. But it felt like ten minutes.
Had been in hard labour 44 hours at that point and barely slept, so I was quite exhausted. I was in a semi-sit position (my choice. I could NOT be up. I was just soooo tired) and I was falling asleep between and at the end of the contractions. I just passed out cold and they were about 5 minutes apart. I didn't even open my eyes during the pushing! I just lay there on my husband's chest, pushed, and then passed right out again.

I only remember a few things: having the first few pushes and thinking, "This is taking forever!"
My midwife saying, "I see a little marble-sized piece of head!" and realizing that I was feeling burning already and getting a little scared that it would be horrible!
And the ring of fire pain, which I was TOTALLY unprepared for, and really did shock the hell out of me. It barely lasts any time at all, yet it's SO INTENSE!
The rest of the time I was in la-la-labour land. Totally zonked out.

FTR, I did not tear.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#76 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 06:28 AM

According to midwife's records, half an hour. But it didn't seem that long, or that short. Well, I'd been in labor 33 hours, and really, really intense for about 10, so I was tired. In ny case, pushing was easy and except for the tearing feeling (two small skidmarks, but I felt the anterior one happen, slooowwwllly) it felt great.
#77 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 AM

With my first, 7 minutes. I was on the birthing stool, and my husband has been quoted as saying she "shot out at Mach 10" lol. She went from 1/4 crowned to in my midwife's arms in 1 push. She was 8 lbs 1 oz.

With my 2nd, 5 minutes. He was actually held up because he had a nuchal hand, and my midwife had to reach up and hook him in his armpit to help him out. I was hands and knees for this one. He was 7 lbs 15 oz.

And with my 3rd, also 5 minutes. I was in the birthing tub this time, in an oddly defined position of my own inventing, lol! I was in a squat, and then I kind of leaned back as far as I could still in this squat. He was 6 lbs 11 oz.

For all my labors I didn't push until my body was already doing it naturally - the "runaway train" that someone mentioned earlier. In fact, for my 1st labor I remember saying to the midwife "I'm pushing and I can't stop!" in my complete and utter surprise that my body started pushing before I realized that I needed to push. And that's how they've all been; suddenly my body is pushing the baby out, and I'm just along for the ride. That's my favorite part of labor - the intense power rush of the body taking over to birth the baby. It's incredible.
#78 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Wow, after 77 responses mine is the longest. 6 hours.

Nuchal hand, I think was to blame. Plus I always "knew" I wasn't as stretchy as most women (sex was uncomfortable for me for years, and only after birthing has it gotten more like I think most women have it). Directed pushing wasn't to blame; my body did all the pushing by itself except at the very end. I think if the pushing only lasted an hour or 2 I could see that it would not seem that long, but for me, 6 hours seemed to be about... 6 hours .

It would have been longer if I hadn't finally pushed the baby out myself (I kept pushing after the contraction was over). I was scared I was going to split, and I did (only 2nd degree, but a looong tear). I don't regret it, though, baby and I were getting very tired. Poor baby, being crushed in the canal like that for all that time. Her head must have HURT.

As for the "other site" - I guess I don't understand what the difference between their stories and our stories was. Was it like "They told me I could push and I pushed as hard as I could every time they told me to but it was hard cause I couldn't feel anything with the epi and after a whole 15 minutes they used forceps/vaccuum extractor and/or threatened c-section"?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#79 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 01:17 PM

15ish mins with DS and he was my first. He wasn't small or huge...he was 8lbs 4 oz, but I'm very petite.

I wonder how it will go with #2
#80 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 03:56 PM

2 1/2 hours - 1st baby. Had a wonderful midwife, but DD was posterior.
#81 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 PM

nak.......a little over 1 hour, he was a 9 pound 9 ouncer with his hand on his head, and i actually thought it felt good. at least better than the contractions!
#82 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 05:52 PM

it took less than 5 min to push dd out and about 30 min to push ds out. could've had something to do w/ the fact that dd was only 5 15 and ds was 9..
#83 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 05:55 PM

one hour.. it felt like 20 minutes, though. (this was my 9lb vbac baby)

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#84 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 06:00 PM

DH says I pushed for 10 minutes, but it seemed like two minutes. Delivery was very easy on me. Labor on the other hand was awful!!!!! My dd was tiny, only 5 lb 13 oz so I don't know if thats why she came out so easy.
#85 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 06:39 PM

This last time 15 minutes. I birthed her head (and fist) v e r y slowly and didn't tear.
#86 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 07:12 PM

4.5 hours. :
#87 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 07:28 PM

Blake, 9.5 lbs: Pushed for 45 minutes, felt like 10.
Gavin, 8.5 lbs: Pushed for 15 minutes, felt like 2.
#88 of 88 Old 09-16-2006, 08:18 PM

52 minutes. Went by so fast.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page