Has anyone ever had butt labor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lotus.blossom- Thank you for sharing!!- so you too, have felt it on the toilet and in labor... wow. What does your dr. think it is? When are you planning on having another one? Did they do an epi before your c/s- if so, did this take away your pain too? If you should experience similar pains during your next delivery, what do you think you'll do to cope? Thank you so much for sharing your story =)
#32 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM

YES! I did not have it with DS1, but had it horribly with DS2 (homebirth). It felt like a buring knife was stabbing me in the tail bone. I can still remember exactly what it felt like and it gives me shivers. It was far more painful than the actual contractions themselves. Honestly, during labor, I was wishing I had some kind of pain meds because the pain was unbearable. My labor was only about 5 hours, if it was any longer I probably would have asked to transfer for some relief.

I have since been to the chiro and a massage therapist because I still have the pain and my chiro says my sacrum is tilted. He thinks the baby was pushing on it during labor OMG, just thinking of that pain makes me shiver. It was like being electrocuted, it sent shock waves through my body.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#33 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jilian

That sucks that you still have the tailbone pain! You know...I was trying to brainstorm w/ my chiro to see what her thought were about my strange butt labor. She x-rayed my tailbone to see if anything showed abnormal and it showed a possible hairline fracture but that's only speculation. For me, I believe it's nerves. The nerves/muscles from my uterus are connected directly to my anus

And...you know what I noticed this menstrual cycle...the stabbing anal pain...figures since I said I don't get it...now I did

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#34 of 51 Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
Hi Jilian

That sucks that you still have the tailbone pain! You know...I was trying to brainstorm w/ my chiro to see what her thought were about my strange butt labor. She x-rayed my tailbone to see if anything showed abnormal and it showed a possible hairline fracture but that's only speculation. For me, I believe it's nerves. The nerves/muscles from my uterus are connected directly to my anus

And...you know what I noticed this menstrual cycle...the stabbing anal pain...figures since I said I don't get it...now I did
Yeah! When I had xrays by a chiro he said it looked like very small hairline fractures and asked if I had fallen on my butt really hard. I said, "I don't think so... Oh wait, I used to skateboard in high school. Yeah, I did."
#35 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 AM

Hmm..interesting- I skated for years as well- and fell on my butt (sometimes really hard) a lot!! I've never had my tailbone x-rayed...wonder if we're on to something here??
#36 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 AM

This was me I feel. I could not lie down or sit comfortably at all, my tailbone just hurt too much. I spent most of the time sitting on the toilet, the only place that was comfortable. It stuck with me throughout the whole experience, until ds was born.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#37 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper77 View Post
lotus.blossom- Thank you for sharing!!- so you too, have felt it on the toilet and in labor... wow. What does your dr. think it is? When are you planning on having another one? Did they do an epi before your c/s- if so, did this take away your pain too? If you should experience similar pains during your next delivery, what do you think you'll do to cope? Thank you so much for sharing your story =)
I haven't really seen a dr since my birth so I'm not sure. I am planning to make an apt with a chiro because I have terrible low back pain if I exercise or do anything strenuous (like giving massages- my profession!) I know my sacrum is out of wack.

I am planning to have another baby, this time with a homebirth midwife and hopefully a less managed labor. And hopefully I will maintain a good non-posterior position!

I did have an epidural and it only took on one side of my body which was horrible because they didn't listen to me and I felt their first cuts. They knocked me out completely after I screamed a few times.

For the next labor I plan on having a doula. My dh was extremely supportive but he didn't do much for couterpressure and I was so out of it that I didn't know what I wanted or needed. with the next one I know I need someone there with experience to help me manage. My cnm didn't show up till just before my transfer for the c/s. I felt very unsupported by her.

p.s. in 2003 I had terrible IBS due to anxiety and I had a lot of relief from having cranialsacral work done. The IBS caused a lot of those same pains. Do any of you have bowel issues like that, or anxiety?

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#38 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I haven't really seen a dr since my birth so I'm not sure. I am planning to make an apt with a chiro because I have terrible low back pain if I exercise or do anything strenuous (like giving massages- my profession!) I know my sacrum is out of wack.

I am planning to have another baby, this time with a homebirth midwife and hopefully a less managed labor. And hopefully I will maintain a good non-posterior position!

I did have an epidural and it only took on one side of my body which was horrible because they didn't listen to me and I felt their first cuts. They knocked me out completely after I screamed a few times.

For the next labor I plan on having a doula. My dh was extremely supportive but he didn't do much for couterpressure and I was so out of it that I didn't know what I wanted or needed. with the next one I know I need someone there with experience to help me manage. My cnm didn't show up till just before my transfer for the c/s. I felt very unsupported by her.

p.s. in 2003 I had terrible IBS due to anxiety and I had a lot of relief from having cranialsacral work done. The IBS caused a lot of those same pains. Do any of you have bowel issues like that, or anxiety?
I hadn't felt the same pains for years. Previously, I would get them just before a BM for only a few seconds. Never felt them during pregnancy or braxton hicks. Only labor during labor. I did however feel the pain a couple times before a BM during this menstural cycle. Very strange.

I've never had symptoms of IBS other than that that I know of. I don't feel stressed or anxiety. Sometimes I do but not very often.

Hmmmmm... I'd wish there were answers. You know, I did email a dr who has written several books to see if there may be some known relief for this type of pain and why it occurs. Someone to investigate this...ya know? Anyone wanting answers as much as me??

lotus.blossom, that's very interesting about the cranialsacral work helping with the IBS pain. I'm willing to try just about anything and try to have it all available during labor. I thought DD was posterior and that was the cause of my butt pain but I had the exact same pain but WORSE when I had my miscarriage in March.

lotus.blossom- I want to have a homebirth too. Anytime I talk to friends about wanting a homebirth and brainstorming of how to manage the butt pain better, I think they think I'm : for wanting to try any of it at home.

Is anyone going to be TTC again soon....or am I the only one right now?

#39 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I suffer from anxiety too- Interesting that you make this connection.. I'm beginining to think this may be Proctalgia Fugax (someone else has mentioned this). Take at look at this website: http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/spasm.html Look under the paragraph under the heading, "Proctalgia Fugax".
Regarding the anxiety issue, it states, "An investigation of the psychological aspects of proctalgia fugax done in the 1960s found most sufferers to be anxious, tense, and perfectionistic. There was, however, no control group for the subjects. Current consensus does not support a psychosomatic origin for either proctalgia fugax or levator ani syndrome, although stressful events may trigger attacks." Wonder if this is where the phrase, "anal-retentive" came from? LOL
treehugginhippie--My hubby and I have just begun to TTC also =) This forum has helped a lot with this decision- though I'm not positive what causes the pain or how I will deal with it- I know that there are others and we will survive!
#40 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper77 View Post
I suffer from anxiety too- Interesting that you make this connection.. I'm beginining to think this may be Proctalgia Fugax (someone else has mentioned this). Take at look at this website: http://www.chronicprostatitis.com/spasm.html Look under the paragraph under the heading, "Proctalgia Fugax".
Regarding the anxiety issue, it states, "An investigation of the psychological aspects of proctalgia fugax done in the 1960s found most sufferers to be anxious, tense, and perfectionistic. There was, however, no control group for the subjects. Current consensus does not support a psychosomatic origin for either proctalgia fugax or levator ani syndrome, although stressful events may trigger attacks." Wonder if this is where the phrase, "anal-retentive" came from? LOL
treehugginhippie--My hubby and I have just begun to TTC also =) This forum has helped a lot with this decision- though I'm not positive what causes the pain or how I will deal with it- I know that there are others and we will survive!
Ummm...I'm definately a perfectionist Very interesting...about the psychological aspects connection. I looked up proctalgia fugax before too and it definately describes the way it feels but it never says anything about feeling it during the menstrual cycle or labor.

Oh good, Harper77, you're TTC too...keep us updated

#41 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 PM

OK, I just read through the whole thread and have some more info. Evan was also in a bad position before and during labor. He alternated between posterior and ROP. His head was tilted to the side at an angle all the time. I was religious about trying to get him in proper positioning. I read spinning babies and did the "rotational positioning" by childbirth international (AWESOME site BTW) yet he was still in a bad position.

I went to the chiro a few times during preg and my pelvis was tilted on the right side, he adjusted me and fixed it but it kept going back. I'm now getting physical therapy for a car accident and he just checked my pelvis on Saturday and it is still crooked, this makes me think that my crooked pelvis made Evan not able to get into the proper position. It also makes my sacrum tilted and that is why he was pressing on it so hard. It is all starting to make sense.

The physical therapist did a test on me to see if my pelvis was really tilted that you can try. He had me lay on my back and bring both of my knees in, almost to my chest. Then he had me let both knees fall open to the sides so I would open my legs as wide as I could. One leg was able to open way more than the other, that is how he confirmed that my pelvis was tilted. He also pressed on it to feel its shape.

There were things that helped ease the pain during labor so I thought I'd share: Heat worked best. I used a rice sock heated in the microwave and had DH put it on my bottom and press into it as hard as he could. The combo of heat and counterpressure was perfect and rally helped a lot. The pool full of hot water was great. At one point the apprentice MW was pouring hot water on my very low back over and over and it helped ease the pain.

Add me to the group of people scared to give birth again because of this butt pain. It was really scary, but the end result was worth it. I just remember being so afraid that something was breaking inside there

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#42 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM

Tina, I hope you get that sticky baby soon. :

#43 of 51 Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jilian.

And thanks for the baby dust

#44 of 51 Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted to update this thread. I had baby #2 in August and didn't have the butt labor this time. I don't know exactly why I didn't have it this time but I did do several things to help prevent the pain from happening again and I wanted to share in case it may help someone else...

I researched on ABChomeopathy.com the symptoms I had and the remedies for those sypmtoms. I came up with Hypericum, Belladonna & Ignatia Amara. I rotated the remedies and took 3-5 pellets a day starting at 36 weeks until delivery.

I don't know if it made a difference but I stayed very active during this pregnancy doing yoga and walking several times a week. I also had a tennis ball in my birth supplies to sit on just in case I needed it during labor

Also, after having the butt labor with my 1st baby and my m/c and now having had a normal (pain wise) labor with my 2nd baby...there was a HUGE difference in the pain...really there is no comparison. The pain with my 1st labor was absolutely. abnormal. in. every. way. Looking back I can't fathom how I held on as long as I did and feel terrible for anyone who has felt this.

During my latest labor (2nd baby), I kept waiting for the pain to get really really bad...like it felt during the 1st labor (I had nothing to compare it to...so I waited for the "I'm dying pain"). I wasn't counting on the really bad butt labor pain but I was well aware that I wasn't immune to it either. I kept thinking "wow, this isn't too bad at all...I must have a long way to go". The pain was very managable...I just kept moving. I thought I had much longer to go even when my water broke...silly me, LOL!. That's when I'd say my contractions got "intense" and I had her 1 hr after my water broke.

I now understand why women don't describe labor pain like they're dying, I understand why women could sleep between contractions, I understand why women could describe contractions as pressure and for a split moment I could see why women might ask for an epidural just before they start pushing . My 2nd labor was soooo much easier and normal finally! Thank you, thank you.

Thanks for reading

#45 of 51 Old 12-27-2008, 01:12 AM

Crazy! I was just thinking about this thread today! I'm so glad you had a more normal labor this time. If we ever have #2, there's hope for me, too, then!
#46 of 51 Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis80 View Post
Crazy! I was just thinking about this thread today! I'm so glad you had a more normal labor this time. If we ever have #2, there's hope for me, too, then!
That is crazy!

BTW-This one was a "piece of cake" compared to the 1st labor. And that reminds me...I want to add a bit more in my post.

#47 of 51 Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Thank you for the update!! I am facing my second labor in the spring and it gives me hope that I can have a normal labor too.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#48 of 51 Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 PM

I felt like someone was sticking a tree up my bum the whole time I was in active labour, never a normal ctx.

My hypnobirth went out the window, I begged for a section, in the end she came out in a bit more than an hour, start to finish.

The MW said she came out just as she should, so not sure why the pain but I remember I couldn't even sit, you can't of course with a tree in your bum
#49 of 51 Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 PM

This gives me hope for baby #3! I'm going to try your suggestions.

#50 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM

OHHH, I had a client with that...it was so hard for her!!! She liked standing and leaning over much better than being in bed or sitting...and she would have delivered that way if the nurses had let her. Turned out it was her baby's hand causing all that grief...she had her little hands up by her face and delivered that way.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#51 of 51 Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGS View Post
Ah, yes. I can imagine. I had wicked hip labor the first time, and the second time I had thigh labor. I could totally cope with the abdominal stuff, but the referred pain nearly killed me.
I had hip labor with DS. It felt like both hips were dislocating during contractions. I really don't even remember what the contractions felt like in front. I had hip problems and hip pain before pregnancy and during pregnancy as well, but I'd never heard of hip labor before--took me completely by surprise. Oddly enough, my hips are actually slightly better now than they have been in years. It gives me hope that next time I'll have "normal" labor pains.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page