Has anyone ever had butt labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Added info in post #13

I'm not referring to pain or pressure you feel when you're in the pushing stage...I mean pain in your butt throughout a large portion of your labor. Is there anyone else out there who has had this type of labor?

I'll try to make this short I had lower back surgery about 10 yrs ago. I have been very blessed that my back feels great since. I had a beautiful back pain free pregnancy. I was so looking forward to feeling the pain of labor...I guess I'm wierd like that but I knew it was for a reason and it would bring me my baby. I knew I wanted to labor without any pain meds. My labor w/ dd was 29 hrs long. I labored at home for most of it then went to the hospital (planned hospital birth) 8 hrs before I had her. It started with me losing some of my mucos plug accompanied by mild ctx 5-7 mins apart. I had to constantly walk during labor or otherwise my ctx would stall. Laying down made them pretty uncomfortable. Several hours into my labor I would have a ctx that I would feel in my uterus and all around pretty much but then I would have the butt pain afterwards. It hurt alot...like a burning sensation. I could describe it as if you've ever been kicked in the crotch or if you've had one of those poops where you cramped in your anus so bad and you thought you were "gonna die" (not really of course). As the labor progressed the butt pain got worse as she decended. I would breath and moan through the ctx just fine but the butt pain was much worse. My doula told me that usually when women feel rectal pressure it means they're almost or are completely dialated. I wouldn't describe what I felt as pressure though. My midwife checked me and I was only at 3 cm!! Out of all of her births, my doula had not had anyone with the pain I was experiencing so early.

I was at 6 cm when we got to the hospital. My labor stalled for a bit (go figure) so I walked the halls. Walking was the only way I was able to cope with the ctx effectively. I was 8 cm and walking the halls and still the ctx were a piece of cake compared to the butt pain!! I could breathe, rock and moan to work through them but that butt pain...it burned! After that it was all a blurr...I was so out of my mind in pain I don't remember much at all. I do remember that my ctx got closer together but all I felt was the butt pain constantly. Oh how it gives me chills just reflecting on that feeling. My mw suggested I have a bit of pain meds to take the edge off so I had 1/2 dose of nubaine and 30 mins later I was pushing. I never felt the urge to push either like everyone said I would. I pushed for 30 mins (on my back which I didn't want to happen: ) and tore really bad. I don't think she was positioned wrong in the birth canal.

Sorry that was a novel...I guess I felt I needed to explain how it all went down Anyways...dh and I want to have another baby in the future...a homebirth next time I'm just trying to imagine another labor like this at home: How will I be able to cope with the butt pain? I wonder if a water birth will make a difference? And also my biggest question is there anyone else who has had a labor that felt like this? My SIL had back surgery in the same area that I did and felt the same type of butt pain I did with her labor (she had an epidural though too). I'm wondering now if only those who have had a back injury have these types of labors? Will all subsequent labors be like this? Please tell me she and I aren't the only ones out there. How did you deal with the pain?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#2 of 51 Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 PM

Yes! I had butt labor! I didn't have any abdominal crampy feelings like I was expecting. It was all in my butt. I remember asking the nurse if the baby could possibly come out that way it hurt so freakin' bad!! My baby was breech, so that could have had something to do with it. But I never expected the pain to be where it was. I hope if I have another one it's not in my rear again. I guess it's not all that pleasant no matter where it is, though!

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#3 of 51 Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 AM

I had similar pain as well. DD2 was posterior and the ctx felt TOTALLY different than with DD1. When a ctx would hit I felt a horrible pain/burning in my butt and the top of my thighs. It was not what I expected at all. My midwife said it probably had to do with DD's position and pushing on a nerve or something.

Like I said though, it was very different from DD1, so just because you labored in your butt once, doesn't mean another labor will feel the same way.
#4 of 51 Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 AM

YES! I had "butt labor" nearly the entire time, and like yours, it was MUCH MUCH (much) worse than the crampy/uterus in a vise feeling up front. I planned a drug-free birth, but did end up accepting a narcotic (unfortunately right before he came out....it ended up not helping and just making me feel drugged for his birth ) because I could. not. stand. the butt pain. It felt like someone was jamming a red-hot poker up there, and I felt it between contractions, too.

DS was posterior and asynclitic and we think that's what caused that pain. So here's to a more properly positioned head next time, if there is a next time!

Oh, and I've never had back surgery.
#5 of 51 Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 PM

I had major back labor with Griff. He was posterior. I wanted tons and tons of counterpressure during that very long labor, and my tailbone was horribly bruised afterward.

Oddly, Reese was also posterior and I didn't have back labor with him. I wonder if he turned OP in the canal? We had thought he was OA while I was in labor but he came out sunny-side-up.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#6 of 51 Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 PM

With my first, I also had major back labor and butt pain with that. I believe now that she was posterior, but it was never confirmed by my at the time relatively inexperienced midwife.

The labor was also very long. From when water broke to birth: 30 hours.

It just seemed to take a long time....

Also, about 2 weeks after her birth I had some major butt/rectal issues. Nobody seems to know why including myself why I got majorly constipated...it was really worse than labor and the butt pain lasted for several months. very weird.
#7 of 51 Old 09-21-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis80 View Post
YES! I had "butt labor" nearly the entire time, and like yours, it was MUCH MUCH (much) worse than the crampy/uterus in a vise feeling up front. I planned a drug-free birth, but did end up accepting a narcotic (unfortunately right before he came out....it ended up not helping and just making me feel drugged for his birth ) because I could. not. stand. the butt pain. It felt like someone was jamming a red-hot poker up there, and I felt it between contractions, too.

DS was posterior and asynclitic and we think that's what caused that pain. So here's to a more properly positioned head next time, if there is a next time!
YES YES YES YES!!!! That is exactly what I felt too. The narcotic, which helped my pelvis to relax and dialate the last 1 cm, left me drugged up plus I was exhausted

Thank you sooooo much for your description. It all "clicked". As soon as I read it and started researching posterior positioning. My birth experience has a name and I'm not the only person who's had this experience. All the parts of my labor point to posterior postioning. She had to be posterior!! I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that she was postioned wrong but then I dont' remember much anyways (I'm going to see about getting my records to verify.) I also had heard of back labor (for some it's butt labor although I have never seen this word mentioned in the articles I've read about back labor. Are some embarrassed to call it butt labor, lol?) and wrong positioning but I had no idea what it meant (meaning what it would feel like).

I spent about 2 hrs reading info about posterior postioning and I can't begin to describe the sense of relief I feel now. I actually had tears of joy. I always felt that my labor was different and more painful than what most women experience...but who am I to say I only had 1 baby, ykwim? Why was no one else saying their labor pains felt excruciating? Why did no one say they had butt labor? I then thought well I must really be a wuss for not handling the pain well. I told my mw that I think I need hypnosis next time. It all makes sense now. But let me tell you, after delivery, I had a whole new outlook on what pain was

I should've labored on all fours but was laying on my back w/ a posterior baby!! No wonder I felt like I was close to death those last few hours. She was either born posterior or turned less than an hour before delivery I believe. I feel so empowered now!!! If I can birth a posterior baby I can birth a normal positioned baby.

I also found out there are several things that can be done prior to the start of labor to get the baby to turn in the right position. There are also things that can be done during labor too. Oh my gosh I am just so happy to know that there are ways to prevent this from happening again. It's so great to know I'm not alone in my experience . MDC IS AWESOME. Thank you everyone for your replies

Here's some links I found very helpful:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/postrppr.html

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/bir...posterior.html

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/malpositions.htm

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

#8 of 51 Old 09-21-2006, 12:52 PM

It sounds like our experiences were very similar, then (OP). My labor was much shorter, only 11 hours, but that butt pain was SO intense during the pushing stage that even before the narcotic I was really shocky and out of it. I didn't know if I was going to live. Well, I figured I would, but there was an hour or so there where I wasn't sure I wanted to! In fact, I was just re-reading my post and the phrase "accepted a narcotic" made me laugh because it was more like:

Me: "I need something NOW!"
MW and nurse: "But that wasn't in your birth plan!"
Me: "NOW!!" (kind of sad in retrospect, but I prefer to laugh)

DS did eventually turn, but we continued to have trouble because his head was cocked to one side (asynclitic). I ended up with forceps which caused a third-degree tear. I am still trying to interpret a lot of what happened. I think I will post my birth story soon and try and get some feedback.

BUT -- my MW assured me that this isn't likely to happen again, so in comparison, a "normal" labor with "only" the less excruciating sensations should be a piece of cake, right???
#9 of 51 Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 PM

I have some reassurance for those of you who had back labor the first time. I did too, though my pain was mostly right at the base of my spine and not so much in my butt (though I did feel like he was coming out my rectum as well ) I pushed for 4 hours because he just wouldnt descend, it was hard as hell, pushing hurt when I had "always read" it felt like a relief...

Anyway, my second labor could not have been more different. She was in perfect position, it went really fast, and even after that pushing marathon the first time I didnt push with her at all. She just moved down without any extra effort on my part... and no back labor at all.

It IS possible.
#10 of 51 Old 09-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storychick View Post
Anyway, my second labor could not have been more different. She was in perfect position, it went really fast, and even after that pushing marathon the first time I didnt push with her at all. She just moved down without any extra effort on my part... and no back labor at all.

It IS possible.
That is very reassuring, thanks!
#11 of 51 Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=artemis80;6079443]that butt pain was SO intense during the pushing stage that even before the narcotic I was really shocky and out of it. I didn't know if I was going to live. Well, I figured I would, but there was an hour or so there where I wasn't sure I wanted to!

Yup me too. I don't remember much the last several hours (I had the narcotic only 1 hr before I pushed her out). I think it's because when you're in THAT much pain your mind kind of blanks out.

I am still trying to interpret a lot of what happened. I think I will post my birth story soon and try and get some feedback.

I never did finish my birth story all the end details at least. In fact, I have never finished it because I don't remember all of it and somehow I feel I should...I mean I'M the one who had her...I should remember. I don't even remember her first cry...that makes me so sad...I'm gonna cry now just thinking about not remembering.

This is why it HAS TO BE DIFFERENT NEXT TIME!! It is very reassuring to read that you can have a normal birth next time.

#12 of 51 Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 AM

Ohhhh yes. I am glad someone eles calles it butt labor also, lol.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#13 of 51 Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this because I found some info:

I think I've found a medical name for the butt pain: Proctalgia fugax
http://www.gihealth.com/html/educati...lgiaFugax.html

The description of the pain fits perfectly but no where have I found it connected to labor contractions.

I'm going through a miscarriage and the ctx brought on an attack (along with the really strong uterine cramping). Oh I was REALLY hoping that I wouldn't have this pain again during labor but it's not looking that way

If we do have another baby I'm having a homebirth I've read about putting pressure on the perineum by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.

Anyone else experienced this? How did you cope?

#14 of 51 Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had rectal pressure and some pain, not nearly as bad as you, but dd was OP and no one bothered to tell me until 2 yrs later when I got the records from the MW for my next birth.

Sounds to me though like you had some nerve pressure. I wonder if some chiro work while pg would help to prevent that again. The nerves that ennervate that area are in the low back.
#15 of 51 Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
Added info in post #13

I'm not referring to pain or pressure you feel when you're in the pushing stage...I mean pain in your butt throughout a large portion of your labor. Is there anyone else out there who has had this type of labor??

YES!! I thought it was just me. IMO it's part of backlabor....

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#16 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM

I am so relieved to find this thread!! WOW!! I really thought I was the only one- I have shared so many of the feelings you ladies have expressed from thinking I was going to die, to thinking that maybe I was just a wuss... I found a forum at:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Womens...ages/1221.html
They all seem to have similar pain, but none were connected to their labors. Here is what I posted:
"I have had the rectal pain for years- but usually only right before my period and only when I'm having a b.m. It's horrible! I will begin my b.m. and then the pain comes in a shooting, fast wave- it's definitely a spasm of some sort- my b.m. will actually shoot back into me and the pain will make me cry out- grab whatever I can and squeeze with all my might. I have to force myself to breathe and it fades after a few moments. It is excruciating. But the worst thing is- I just had my 1st baby a year ago- and every single contraction I had was accompanied by this same excruciating anal spasm. I was in labor for 36 hours before my c-section. Compared to these spasms, the labor contractions were nothing! I kept telling the dr.'s-- something's wrong! it's like my large intestines are going backwards- or someone is jamming their leg up my butt!... They were very confused and called it back labor... I don't think so. Especially since I've gotten this same pain on the toilet for years. Because of this- I'm afraid to get pregnant again. I would love another baby- I'm not afraid of the labor pain- but I'm terrified of going through that anal pain again over and over- I honestly thought I would die...I couldn't sit or lay down the entire time..not even to put the monitor around me. The Dr.'s were so frustrated with me- they thought I was being dramatic. They didn't understand- I couldn't stand any pressure on my backside. I spent almost the entire labor sitting on an exercise ball leaning forward so my weight was off my butt. The morphine and drugs definitely eased the labor contraction pain, but did nothing for the butt spasms. Not until the epidural- after 36 hours, that finally relieved the anal-spasm-shooting-jabbing-pain. Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is a relief to communicate this somehow. Has any one else experienced this during labor? Thank you for any answers/thoughts.."

Thank you again for this post- it's so good to know that it's not just me who experienced this kind of labor. I was starting to think something was really wrong with me... Though, none of you mentioned having this pain while on the toilet... have any of you??

I'm excited to call for my medical records and see if my daughter was posterior... I'm also excited at the possibility that this can be done without the drugs-- at the very least, if I were to have this same experience again with a second delivery, I would know that I wasn't dying and others have experienced the same thing- and survived to blog about it!!
#17 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 AM

Harper77, I couldn't read this and not respond. I, too, have had the pain you described right before your period and during a bm. I've often wondered what causes it, but have never found an answer. The strange thing is, my son was posterior as well (it turned into a c/s for ftp) but I did not have this pain during labour. Odd, eh?
#18 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 01:19 AM

All three of my labors so far have been back/butt/thigh pain. I've never felt much of anything up front at all. All three of my babies have been posterior through most of the pregnancy, and posterior going into birth (though I'm a bit confused as to whether any of them have actually been *born* posterior....I know that dd ended up turning once she got into my pelvic bones....she was so bruised, poor thing!

Anyway, for my last, I did everything under the sun to prevent a posterior baby, but it still happened. MW tried pulsatilla during labor, and tried the rebozo technique (which hurt like the dickens! all to no avail.

This time, I'm trying again to keep baby well-positioned, but I've also accepted that this may just be the way my body does birth. I also have long-term issues with my lower back, and I'm not convinced that that factor isn't a big part of the equation.

I guess for me, this sort of labor seems normal, since I've never experienced it any other way. I know I can handle it, given the proper support. So fine, bring it on! I fully expect this next birth to be just like the rest have been, although of course I will continue to work toward optimal fetal positioning. But in a way, I don't really care that the pain of labor this way is probably worse than it would otherwise be....sort of in the sense of "better the devil you know than one you don't know!"

KWIM?

ETA: Hmm, well after reading the thread and links more closely, I don't think I felt the same thing at all. The only rectal sensation I felt was during crowning, which of course is totally normal and to be expected. So my butt pain would be better described as "buttocks pain" while it sound as if for most of you, butt pain = "rectal pain".

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#19 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Harper77

I'm so so glad you found this thread and replied!!!! The link you included is the exact same one I found when looking up info about butt pain during labor. It's the ONLY info I've ever found too (and I looked really hard).

I read the new posts on the thread on MedHelp and see it mentioned that the pain can be associated with ovarian cysts and IBS. Well, I have no symptoms of IBS (well, maybe 5+ years ago). I do however have monthly ovarian cysts associated with ovulation. This hasn't been diagnosed by a MD but I can tell by the pain I get 4-5 days before ovulation on my left side. What's wierd is I've never ever had them before having my daughter. And I get very mild cramping during AF if any. I have felt this pain during BM a looooooong time ago (5+ years ago). But more recently only from labor and my miscarriage. I did have the pain just before a BM after having my daughter for a few months.

There are also alot of replies about having this pain associated with ovulation or menstruation. Not so many associated with labor or miscarriage.

Oh I really wish there was a REAL diagnosed for this from a MD. I've talked to several midwives and L&D nurses and NONE have ever heard of this.

I thought that I felt this pain because she was posterior, but for me, that wasn't the case (as I posted above). I felt the exact same pain but it went right away to the "take your breath away and drop you to your knees" pain during my m/c at almost 6 weeks gestation. NO, THIS CANNOT BE!!!! I THOUGHT THE PAIN WAS JUST A FLUKE THE 1ST TIME!!!!!

The pain is still fresh in my mind. How could I EVER forget that pain.

I am excited to read in the thread you posted about some women getting a DX for IBS and then taking a medicine under the tongue to relax the GI. Although I have no symptoms of IBS, unless ovarian cysts are one.

Harper77, have you seen a DR about your pain during BM's? It sounds like the same medicine for IBS will help with our butt pain we feel. How would you want to manage the pain during labor if you have another baby? Would you get an epidural? How old is your baby now?

I know what you mean about questioning whether to have another baby because of the fear of the butt pain. I feel ok with it now because I have ideas about how to manage the pain. But I cannot imagine feeling the pain everyday. It must be like re-living your labor everyday??

For me, I am determined to have a homebirth. I've been dreaming about a HB ever since I had my daughter. I can't kid myself though about managing that butt pain. I'm worried that I'll hyperventilate like I almost or did last time. My ideas for butt pain management are to learn and practice the hynobabies program. Maybe even get actual hypnosis. I actually say that "think of this as surgery without being put out or numbed". I wonder if hypnosis can be that strong to block out pain like that? Oh and I've read that sitting on a tennis ball might help too. Not sure about doing this during labor though.

An now that I read in the MedHelp forum about taking a pill under the tongue and that will relieve the butt pain?? I cannot imagine it being so simple. Boy, let me tell you, even if it doesn't relieve it completely, I am more than happy to try it. OMG, a pill taking away the butt pain!!! I am SO HAPPY to see this as a possibility (hopefully it's ok to take during pregnancy). Another tool I can use during labor.

The regular front ctx were a walk in the park compared to the butt pain so I know I can handle "normal" labor just fine.

Gee, this was a long post. Can you tell I think about this alot? So happy to see another person who's had this butt labor and can relate!!!

#20 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmommy View Post
Harper77, I couldn't read this and not respond. I, too, have had the pain you described right before your period and during a bm. I've often wondered what causes it, but have never found an answer. The strange thing is, my son was posterior as well (it turned into a c/s for ftp) but I did not have this pain during labour. Odd, eh?
Thanks for posting this! I would've assumed that anyone who felt this pain before would feel it during labor too. Hmmmm. So there's those of us who feel this pain associated with ovulation and/or period or during BM's and then feel it during labor, those who feel it during the same times but NOT during labor and those who do not feel it any other time but during labor. Hmmmmm.

#21 of 51 Old 09-16-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

For now I'm just going to focus on the labor part of it. I wonder how many women feel this during labor and don't realize that it's not a normal part of labor? I know I sure didn't know until I started talking about my labor (2 yrs later). Are some women embarrassed to talk about it? I'm one of those who is not and I want an answer as to WHY??? What's wrong with me?

Is this really an undiagnosed problem? Surely, there more than just a few of us. I really try to stay away from traditional medicine but for some reason I wish there was a doctor who could pin point the cause. It would be nice to google "butt or anal labor" and actually see the cause AND how to "fix or handle" the pain. That dr's or midwives know what the pain is and how to handle it.

Thinking out loud now, I feel like starting a website called "Butt Laborers R Us" (I know it's not a laughing manner but it's the first thing that came to mind ) to attract other women who have had this experience so we can empower each other, ya know?? It's hard enough when you experience this very unique pain but then not to be able to relate to anyone else about it? Talk about having a hard time healing from a tramatic labor!!

#22 of 51 Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 AM

Thank you guys for your comments/support- it means a lot! Yes, thank you for responding mtlmommy, that is interesting... wonder what this means... I too, would have thought you would have experienced the pain during labor (though I'm thankful that you did not!) And treehugginhippie, I think about it all the time too- LOL In answer to your questions, I've mentioned the pain I've felt during bm's to a couple dr.'s, but they kinda shrug it off and say something like, "that's strange..." One suggested hemorrhoids-- that just shows you they are not comprehending the amount of pain that we're talking about!!! Also, I wanted to clarify, I do not have this pain everyday.. usually it's only right before my period.. and not even every month. Probably around every other month...and YES- now that you mention it- I too had it while on the toilet for a week or two after she was born.. But, you're right- it does bring labor right to mind when it happens. Since then, I can keep a more positive mental outlook- I just squeeze the counter, shove a towel in my mouth and wait for it to fade- knowing that it will only be a few seconds- not wave after wave of it, like while in labor!! As far as how I would handle a similar birthing situation if it were to happen again...I guess I don't really know... At least I wouldn't be surprised by it.. and I'd know that I wasn't dying... I would love to say that I would refuse drugs next time around- but the epidural DID work- it stopped the butt pain completely...my problem was that I wasn't dilating, so they couldn't give it to me until right before my c/s. I would probably refuse the morphine and whatever else they were putting in me-- it didn't help at all anyways. I would also get a midwife- for sure! It would have been so great to have someone there who could have told me that I wasn't crazy, that I wasn't dying, and to tell the annoyed dr.'s and nurses that I wasn't normally a dramatic/whiny person- that something really was wrong. (Did I mention the dr.'s kept telling me I wasn't even in labor b/c I wasn't dilating.. they kept saying they were going to have to send me home soon, if I didn't open up ...blah..blah... while I'm dropped to my knees panting and pleading for somebody to look and see what's wrong with my butt... *grrr...* ANYWAYS.... I'm really rambling now...
Let's definitely keep each other posted with anything new or helpful that we find out! Thanks again- there really is HUGE comfort in knowing that we're not alone!!!
#23 of 51 Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Ah, yes. I can imagine. I had wicked hip labor the first time, and the second time I had thigh labor. I could totally cope with the abdominal stuff, but the referred pain nearly killed me.
#24 of 51 Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Wow! Me too!

My son was OT (sideways), and then turned posterior later in labor. I couldn't handle the contractions at all, it felt like someone jamming a stick up my butt the entire time. (I didn't even care about what my abdomen was doing!) I wanted a UC transfered to the hospital after 8 hours and was only 2cm, demanded an epidural, and was yelling "my butthole hurts!" the entire time.
I feel a little less embarassed now

Yes, I have had shooting pains there off and on since childhood, I thought maybe they were internal hemorrhoids or something but I don't know.

One thing that did help, looking back, was sitting up on my butt on the bed or floor, it put pressure there and relieved a lot of the pain. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to stay in that position more.
#25 of 51 Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Harper77- I was very close to having a c-section. I was stuck at 8cm for 6 hrs. And screaming for 4 hrs of it. My doula said if it wasn't for me having a midwife and a very relaxed back-up OB that I would've gotten a c-setion for sure!

SarahLi- No way!!! You too!!!! We're all coming out of the "wood-work" (is that how it's said?). I'd love to consider a UC but dh isn't on board so we'll homebirth. Sitting on the bed helped huh? I've read about sitting on a tennis ball to help relieve the pain but I cannot imagine doing that during labor??

Will you be having anymore dc's? Would you have a hb? Have you thought about a plan for managing the butt pain, if it happens again?

So far I haven't seen anyone have this type of labor and have another dc. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there cause I'd love to hear how they managed the pain (if they had it again). I'm trying to get ideas cause I'm going to have a homebirth.

#26 of 51 Old 09-21-2007, 01:14 PM

treehugginghippie- I hope to have a homebirth in the future. I also had a c-section. Actually it was a forceps/ vacuum x2/ vaginal/ c-section birth. I give myself partial credit for vaginal because some of his caput came out with the vacuum.
I used hypnobabies and I think I may use it again. It helped with the contractions, I just wasn't prepared for the butt pain and couldn't integrate it. I also didn't have a doula which will probably be a must, or an encouraging midwife. I will also make sure the baby is OA before I labor, in whatever means necessary.
The thing that scares me more to be pregnant again is the severe hyperemesis I had my entire pregnancy, so I'm going to try and wait awhile.
...I wonder if hot washcloths there would help during labor? Just don't get them mixed up with the ones you put other places!
#27 of 51 Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 PM

I suffer from the same thing Harper77 describes. It is mainly during my period and it is an excrutiating stabbing pain that will come unexpectedly and take my breath away for a few seconds. Its far worse than any contraction I ever felt.

I also had a posterior asynclitic baby and terrible rectal pressure for most of my labor. My nurse kept telling me to relax and touching my hips and I was telling her that I just couldn't physically do it. It was like my lower half was out of my mental control. I was so tense! I was even planning to use hypnobabies, but that flew out the window as soon and I felt this pain. FWIW my 30 hr labor ended in a sort-of-emergency c-section. I'm hoping that I can experience normal non "butt" labor for the next one. I imagine it would be a breeze!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#28 of 51 Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about trying hypnobabies but I didn't (and now don't) feel it will be umm..."strong enough"...for this type of pain.

I remember it feeling like rectal pressure early in my labor. It wasn't the stabbing, mindblowing anal pain like it was for the last half. It also came seperate from the normal front ctx. Everytime. UNTIL the last 4 hrs or so. Then it was constant, stabbing anal labor. Couldn't get control. Wanted to jump out of my skin. Everyone telling me to calm down and breathe.

I thought they mentioned something about how DD came out but the hospital records state normal...so who knows how she came out. I really hope for the others it was just that one labor & delivery. I thought that she was posterior and that was my answer and the cause of the butt labor; until I had my m/c. The ctx bypassed the butt pressure and went right to the mindblowing, stabbing pain.

#29 of 51 Old 09-22-2007, 09:22 AM

butt labor here too
My first labor was all menstrual type cramps and she came out face down (ideal)
Second labor was posterior and I felt really nothing in my abdomen cause the intense pressure in my lower back/butt was so extreme that it's all I could focus on!

ETA: I know she was posterior because right during transition the nurse cked me and told me that she could feel baby turning her head completely around (I could too it was the weirdest feeling!)
She came out in the right position but I labored the whole time with her posterior
#30 of 51 Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

I am not sure if this would be considered butt pain, but when I had my first child, I had a a lot of pain in my tailbone. It felt like someone was crushing my tailbone during each contraction. I didn't have any other form of back labor and Emma was positioned correctly in the birth canal, so I don't know what happened to cause that tailbone pain. When I had Angela, I didn't have this pain at all, just average abdominal pain.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 1/2 years and Angela, 2 years)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page