What was your birthing mantra? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What ran through your head during labor? Did you have a mantra you repeated to yourself? Was it something you prepared & practiced in advance? Was it spontaneous? Did you say it outloud or just in your head?

Dr-Mom and SAHD extraordinnaire. DD1 (5), DD2 (3), MMC 04/10.
#2 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 03:32 AM

Er, well, what was going through my head during labor was "Oh f*, this hurts. OW. OW. OW," but perhaps that's not crunchy enough to admit to. It was supposed to be "birth is not an emergency, but an emergence" (I am sad to say I am not certain to whom I should attribute this quote). That neat little turn of phrase morphed into "this is what my body is made for", and was repeated silently during my brief moments of coherence.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#3 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 AM

Before I had this last baby, I would wake in the mornings and say "Open" and "I can do this" I never intended to wake up and say these things, they just came from my mouth. Lo and behold, while in labo I chanted "open" over and over and "gentle" while pushing (not really pushing so much as letting my body push). In my head I said a lot of things like "open", "gentle", "power", "surrender". I beleive at one point I was saying "surrender" in my head but what came from my mouth was very loud and memorable "SH**!!!" I'm told that at some point I was telling myself "no no...YES YES" and I do remember saying that in my head, I guess I said it aloud too.

With my other two births.... For my first, really nothing ran through my head. I remmeber telling myself that I could do it and that it was fun With my second I did a lot of going inside but not really thinking. I imagined ocean waves and riding them and I didn't really say much aloud or in my head.

Namaste, Tara
#4 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 09:37 AM

I think mantras should be short like Tara's
I said Open, Open, Open and Just This One which helped me focus on this contraction and not worry about the others to come.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 AM

I never intended to have any sort of mantra. Imagine my surprise when I found myself repeating "We're opening up, we're opening up" over and over again. I have no idea why precisely I chose that phrase, or who the 'we' was!

I was mostly saying it to myself, and then I started speaking it out loud just before I announced to dh & my doula that "this isn't going to work for much longer."

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#6 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Mine was "If I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro I can give birth"

Both ranked about the same in terms of exhaustion and exhiliration though having DD made birth much more wonderful!

Who stole my signature!
#7 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 PM

I don't remember thinking much of anything other than just living in each moment. Here's another one, time to relax, here's another one, time to relax. I was just really inside myself and not thinking about anything except moment to moment.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#8 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 06:00 PM

During labor I kept telling myself "Your body is made to do this!"

And while pushing I kept telling myself "push to the pain, don't run away from the pain" becuase I tend to try to "run" from the pain as opposed to just allowing myslef to go through it.
#9 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Mine was, "I only have to get to 10; I only have to get to 10."
#10 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After the first 2 I definatly had one with #3...

When the stings starts...PUSH LIKE HELL and scream low!!

good luck and listen to your body!
#11 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 PM

I did not plan it- but I said

"I just have to get to the peak then its all downhill" I repeated this until the contraction "peaked" - I said this while I was kneeling into dh's lap and swaying my behind from side to side.

It helped SO much. It kept me focused and from not freaking out.
#12 of 53 Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 PM

Mine was "low and loose, low and loose......" I was thinking of keeping my voice low as opposed to screaming and tensing, I was keeping it a low moan. The loose refered to thinking of keeping my bottom loose, I pictured my hips loose and my bottom sagging (had to have a GREAT imagination for this one! {I wish!}) and my cervix opening. My goal was not to get scared and fight the pain but relax and open to it. I found it really helpful and frequently find myself telling laboring moms to keep their bottoms loose! Oh and it was spontantous but I had read quite a bit about your mouth correlating to your cervix and keeping your voice low and throat open so it was an interest in pregnancy but the mantra came on it's own. Fun question!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#13 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM

Open! Open! I also envisioned a flower unfurling it's petals. It was a great image to have in my head, corny but effective. It probably helped since I'm a passionate gardener!

Stacy
#14 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 AM

In transition: "this is just pain, it won't kill you"
#15 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 01:38 AM

I didn't have a true mantra, but I did think about the phrase from _Birthing From Within_ : "Labor is hard work. It hurts. And you can do it." It was short, candid, and encouraging. My experience was a lot like Lizabird's (above).

If I get to have the water birth I dream of next go-round, I think it will be "Just keep swimming!" ala Finding Nemo ;-)

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#16 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 AM

I don't even read this forum but I saw this thread title and had to check it out. I don't know where I got the idea- from Mind over Labor maybe- but for both births I kept repeating to myself, "When I imagine myself swimming I feel calm" and of course I was imagining myself calmly floating in a Minnesota lake. This was 3 years ago that I started it with ds1 so I don't even remember how it got started, but it sure did help!
#17 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 AM

durring pg i had this great birth chants cd, when in labor i kept saying 'opening up, in sweet surrender, to this beautiful baby in my womb" i used it to see how long my cx were. it got to where I could repeat it 5 times durring 1 cx LOL. Right before pushing. I also said opening, opening in between cx and switch to my mantra saying durring.
My labor was only 1.5 hours from the 1st twinge to baby out so maybe it worked? LOL It was also baby #3 and born in the comfort of my living room, so maybe 'that' was it lol.
#18 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 AM

I got a new bluegrass CD right before my labor that I listened to over and over. One of the songs was "Nothing's gonna come up today that me and the good Lord can't handle" That was my mantra in labor. Sort of the "this isn't going to kill me, even though it feels like it."
#19 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM

"I trust my body."
#20 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 PM

you don't want to know what I said in the last hour
#21 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=Hazelnut;6118667]"When I imagine myself swimming I feel calm" and of course I was imagining myself calmly floating in a Minnesota lake.

With my first ds I was not informed and in a hospital strapped to the bed. I was in a ton of pain and I had dh put ds's ultrasound picture above me and I would "swim" with my hands up to his picture during the continuous contractions. I mean continuous! We got to 3cm this way- it took 3 hours.
I got SO embarrased when the nurses came in.

I find it interesting with not knowing anything my body responded with movement( tho not ideal) to manage the pain. =WE were not prepared for birth as I thought I would be able to just "get" to 5 cm and get the epidural. LOL. That did NOT work.

Those 3 hours from 1-3 cm were much more painful and horrrendous than my entire labor with dd at home.
#22 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I didn't plan anything before hand, but when I was pushing with dd I kept thinking that millions of women had done this for years, and so could I. Sounds corny but it really helped to think about all the women before me that had even birth.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM

"Peace."

and then later when I was really needing strength to get through each contraction, I counted them down from 100. And I visualized the number I was on and made up rhymes in my head using that number.
#24 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 PM

I had a poster made up of birth affirmations, but I didn't use any of them. Mine just kinda came up out of nowhere during the course of my labor...

Ooooohhhh
Ooooohhhh baby
Ooooohhhh God
Ooooohhhh Bobbie (Bobbie was my doula : )
Bobbiebobbiebobbiebobbie
Come dooooowwwwn baby
Ooooohhhh-kay
Relaaaaax

A bit OT, but after DS1 was born, I asked my husband what was going through his mind while I labored. He said, "Boooy. Your gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time" a la Beatles. Nice.
#25 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM

With dd, I had a handful of peaceful, meditative, *opening* mantras planned. What I ended up repeating to myself through the better part of 18 hours was "This is gonna hurt, this is gonna hurt, this is gonna hurt, but then it gets better." That was just long enough to get me over the peak of the contraction.

With ds, I didn't plan anything. And what I ended up repeating, to myself and out loud, for the half hour or so at the end when I was too into it to keep doing funny horse lips was, "Come on, Sebastian, I want to meet you, come on, sweetie, time to come out . . . Come on!"
#26 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 PM

with ds it was "one fish two fish red fish blue fish, one fish two fish, red fish blue fish" over and over.
#27 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM

"I can do anything for a minute"
#28 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 PM

for my last, part of a song..."opening up in sweet surrender to the beautiful birthing of this babe". over and over and over again
#29 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Alternating between "relax, let go" and "It's not forever. It's not forever" (remembering the whole "no one was never in labor forever" pep talk).

I found the "let go" more useful, because there was a similarity between the peaks of contractions and the feeling of out-of-control shivering (like when you get into a cold car). I know that if I can take a deep breath and let go of the tension behind my diaphragm I can make myself stop shivering, and when I was able to do the same thing during labor the contractions were - not painless - but not too bad. So I just had to remember with each peak to let it go and loosen up, not tense against it...

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#30 of 53 Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 PM

I planned on reciting a bunch of hypnobirthing stuff.
What actually ended up being my mantra was what I had also used while getting a tattoo two years previously: "Om Mani Padme Hum."
I imagine I'll end up meditating again with the next one as well. It worked amazingly well.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page