Hospital Birth -- How Long Were You There? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How long did you stay at the hospital after delivery?
0 - 2 hours 1 0.75%
3 - 4 hours 1 0.75%
5 - 6 hours 2 1.49%
7 - 8 hours 2 1.49%
more than 8 hours 128 95.52%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 09-28-2006, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1: 27 hours after birth
#2: about 24 hours after birth

(BTW, nobody was *delivered* - my children were born - just a picky semantic thing)

I think each time I had the option to stay longer but didn't want to. Each time I spent one night there.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#32 of 55 Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 PM

24 hours after a vag birth, with epidural and episiotomy (never again, btw!)

She was born at 6pm and I was ready to go home the next morning. My OB was ok with me going home ASAP, but the ped wanted me to stay until we saw the hospital LC. And then by the time we saw her, it was late enough we decided to stay for our "free" hospital dinner. So we checked out at 6pm the day after she was born.

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#33 of 55 Old 09-29-2006, 12:21 AM

DD was born at 12:30 a.m. on a Wednesday, and we were home by noon on Thursday; so, about 36 hours after birth. We only arrived at the hospital about 3 hours before she was born, so not even 48 hours total.

I was fine with staying that long - my mother wasn't coming until Friday night, so I felt a little more secure with the nurses around if I needed them. They were actually very good about leaving us alone for the most part, so that contributed to me being OK with it.

With this one, I'm not sure what we'll do. I think it'll depend on when the baby is born, how DD is doing while staying with friends, how I feel, etc. Play it by ear, I guess.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#34 of 55 Old 09-29-2006, 12:41 AM

Less than 24 hours total (I can't really remember how long after delivery) with both my hospital births. I had to jump through hoops and sign all sorts of stuff to do it too. Also, the pku - since they were less than 24hrs old the test wasn't valid. However, since we were leaving early, they insisted on doing it anyway and we had to promise (and sign) that we would come back in 2 days for a repeat. I was SOOO angry. I don't see the logic in that. Why couldn't my ped just do it after 48 hrs? Both were unmedicated, no complications vaginal births.

Best wishes on your upcoming birth!
#35 of 55 Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 PM

By my own choice I stayed with dd1's birth for about 36 hours and the same for dd2's birth. I needed the rest. Especially with dd2's birth, I had a very active, demanding 3yo at home and although I missed her, I wanted to just rest and nest. I dimmed the lights and slept a lot and absorbed the fact that I had another baby. It was kinda nice. I had my own room and the nurses left me alone.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#36 of 55 Old 09-29-2006, 08:58 PM

I came home 5 hours after DD was born (most recent birth).

The hospital food SUCKED. It was seriously nasty. I'd rather eat stuff DH got for me. The nurse was nice, and all, but geesh people I just had a baby I want REAL food.

I don't rest well at hospitals. The beds are hellaciously uncomfortable, the nurses come in every few hours to "check your vitals" and the intercom pages "Dr. so-and-so come to lababalology... Dr. so-and-so" At all hours day or night.

I talked about it with my midwife beforehand, knew she was OK w/ it. Talked to a ped. about it, made arrangements that IF the timing worked, all went well, etc, she would sign us out early. Not all docs will do this but I'll tell you it really cuts down on the red tape if you can find one!

The ped. nurse shot daggers into us with her eyes and told us to "think really hard" about what we were doing. Lady, I've got 5 kids, this isn't my first time caring for a newborn, mmm-kay? So we'll just take our baby and let you get on with your day. Go save the world somewhere else.

I signed a bunch of papers stating that I knew my baby might grow two heads if she didn't have the eye ointment (I have no STDs) vitamin K shot (SHE didn't get circed or have a traumatic birth), hep B (she's not an IV drug user or sexually active yet...) and hearing screen (she was turning her head to look for me when I spoke to her at 3 hours old, don't need a machine to tell me she can hear). So far her one head is perfect and gorgeous.
#37 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 AM

We were there 2 nights, as I had Esther at almost 11pm and they wouldn't let us out after 24 hours unless she had a confirmed well baby appointment within the next couple of days. It doesn't really bother me, nor did it then. I was able to get a lot more sleep at the hospital than I'd probably have been able to at home, since at the hospital I didn't have to take care of the other 2 as well.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#38 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Son was born at 2.20am Saturday morning and I left the hospital Sunday lunchtime. My son was a forceps delivery, so we stayed in hospital a little longer than usual so that they could monitor him. If it had been a complication free delivery, then we probably would have gone home Saturday late afternoon.

Although I have some gripes about the 'service' in all I enjoyed that short time there, it allowed me the opportunity to bond with my baby without other people being there. One major gripe about the service was me having to change my own bedsheets when I could barely feel my legs due to an epidural.
#39 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 PM

I stayed for 48 hours with my first birth... it was standard policy. They at least made sure that we were nursing well. We were completely healthy and just wanted to be at home! But I was bored out of my mind and mistreated by the nurses... I assume that it was because of my age.
With my second I had a hospital birth with a midwife. I walked out of there 2 hours aftewr he was born! I love midwives!

:
#40 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 12:02 PM

With both of my boys, I went well over 42 weeks, so unfortunately I had to be induced. The first labor was really long (24+ hours) and there were complications, but I made it through unscathed (and unmedicated - both times). I was able to leave after 24 hours.

My second labor was (also induced) only 4 hours long and I also left at 24 hours.

For both I spent the night before labor at the hospital for induction. I had a midwife, but the hosp. insisted both boys needed to see a ped (same hosp. both times). Otherwise I'd have loved to have gotten out o fthere earlier!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#41 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post

The ped. nurse shot daggers into us with her eyes and told us to "think really hard" about what we were doing. Lady, I've got 5 kids, this isn't my first time caring for a newborn, mmm-kay? So we'll just take our baby and let you get on with your day. Go save the world somewhere else.

I was in the hospital for a little more than 24 hours with both kids. The first time was hell because I had to share a room with a super loud woman and her super loud family, the nurses were surly, dh didn't spend the night with me, and there were umpteen unwanted "visitors" (picture takers, social security ladies, etc.) bugging me starting at 7 a.m. after my dd had been born after midnight the night before. :

Second time around I was at a different hospital with a private room. DH stayed the entire time and the hospital staff was awesome. I was still pretty ready to go home, though.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#42 of 55 Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Even though all of my labors were fairly uneventful there was always some "complication" that made the staff suggest I stay the full 48 hours instead of leaving in 24 hours. You can leave before you are released but if you sign out AMA insurance might not pay. I'll suck it up and take an extra 24 hours rather than to risk thousands of dollars of debt.
#43 of 55 Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Policy here is 24 hrs. It ended up taking about 31 hrs, as the nurses never get off their butt with the paperwork until noon I think and then Luke's cord blood was lost so they had to get a heel prick because I am rH-.

The ped and dr were both there bright and early 6 and 7 am the next day (I had Luke at 8:30 the previous day) to release us both.

Next time I am hoping to talk to both about releasing us early, staying there was awful as I got no sleep at all. That is if we do a hospital birth, contemplating a hb, have a consultation at the end of the month.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#44 of 55 Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
I noticed several people have said they were ready to leave but had to wait for the doctor to release them or their baby. Is that standard procedure? Is there a disadvantage to just leaving without waiting for the doctor? Not trying to be snarky; I really am this ignorant about hospitals and birth!
I think the disadvantage is that if you haven't been officially discharged your insurance may not cover any of your fees. I don't know if it's considered leaving "against medical advice" or not but I've had the idea that without the proper paper trail the insurance companies may not cover your birth and hospital stay.

I stayed 48 hours after my first baby, 24 hours after the second. The midwife I had with #2 said she'd discharge me as soon as 8 hours after birth if I wanted but I decided to go ahead and spend the night.

Mom to (5) (9)
#45 of 55 Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 PM

was supposed to be min 24 hours because i was gbs+ and they wanted to observe ds. but then labor went so fast and i got to the hospital late enough i didn't get abx in the proper time window, so it was revised to 48 hours. i had a lot of blood loss after i tore during delivery and i didn't feel up to leaving until 30 hours pp. the ped ok'd us to leave at 36 hours when ds showed zero signs of infection.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#46 of 55 Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 PM

I was there a bit more than a day, but I had a tubal ligation after the birth of my ds so I was really recovering from that surgery and not his birth.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#47 of 55 Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 AM

It hasn't happened yet but we went on the hospital tour last week. They said the standard was 48 hours for a normal delivery and 4 days if you had a c-section. I'm not sure I'm going to be in a super big hurry to leave. Having some help getting the hang of breastfeeding sounds like it could be nice.

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

#48 of 55 Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM

82 hours for the first - "normal" vag delivery with epidural. No complications but since I checked in after 8pm I got a bonus day.

I didn't know it was ok to leave before the hospital said I was ready

Second birth in a FSBC... arrived in labor at 5pm, had baby at 6:42pm, home by 10pm
#49 of 55 Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM

24 hours due to group b strep (they wanted to keep us 48 hours but we asked to go home sooner and they were fine with it). No epi, vaginal birth, no complications.
#50 of 55 Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM

I was transfered to the hospital from the birthing center with ds#1..
had an epi etc... and left a bit less than 2 hours after the birth.

At the birthing center the max time to stay is 8 hours, the minimum is 2.

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#51 of 55 Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM

#1 was born on Monday at 5pm and we went home Weds morning.

#2 was born on a Tuesday at 2am and we went home Thursday. They wanted her in at least 48 hours b/c of Group B strep. I was ready first thing Thursday morning, but the nurse on duty got called to a birth and she was the only one who knew how to use the clamp that removed the lo-jack from her cord!

It took a lot longer than expected because they ended up having to transfer baby via airlift to a hospital with a Level III nursery (we're just a small semi-rural hospital). According to the conversation I overheard, it was something about a serious case of mec aspiration I couldn't exactly complain about having to wait for that...

(In one of those coincidence things, I met the mom in question and the baby in the waiting room at a muffler place 2 years later! We compared notes on kid's birthdays and realized they'd been born close, and then two and two were put together...) Baby spent quite awhile as a very sick newborn but came home safe!

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#52 of 55 Old 10-05-2006, 05:41 PM

I was there a little more than 48 hours after each of my three births. I've always had trouble pottying after the birth , so I wouldn't have been able to go home much sooner than that.
#53 of 55 Old 10-05-2006, 05:54 PM

I stayed about 24 hours after delivery. I was fine afterwards. 100% fine. I felt like I had rough sex. No pain afterwards, and was doing whatever I wanted. But dd wasn't in the greatest shape, so we stayed until we knew she was stable.
#54 of 55 Old 10-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Right around 5 hours - and the only reason we stayed so long was that there was a delay about getting the RhoGam to my room - the midwife eventually went and got it from the lab herself. They were busy that day !

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#55 of 55 Old 10-06-2006, 04:14 AM

I don't know what you classify complications as, so:

#1, stayed 48 hours, healthy baby but had a rough delivery (vacuum, epis, etc.)
#2, left at 16 hours post birth, was healthy and they wanted to send me to the "sick" part of the hospital because they needed more beds in the mat ward and I'd had an easy delivery... I said no, but you can send me home, and so they did
#3, baby had complications, was in NICU, I stayed to be close to her - 48 hrs

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page