Increasing Vit K in mother when refusing Vit K for baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been doing research with the help of the great threads here on refusing Vit K injection for baby. I've decided to refuse it assuming the birth is non-traumatic to baby (which is my full expectation: this is number 3, with no complications in my first two)

There is mention in some of the links and discussions to increasing the mother's intake of Vit K pre-birth and postpartum so the baby will get an increased amount of it through placenta and breastmilk.

Does anyone know exactly the best way I should be supplementing AND HOW MUCH??? I read Alfafla tablets. Are there also Vit K supplements??
I don't have a natural food store or homeopathic shop in my town so I will have to make a special trip. I'm almost 35 weeks into preg so I want to get on this ASAP.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002407.htm has a list of food sources of vitamin K. Another website I saw said that vitamin K supplements are only available by prescription, so maybe you should just stick to the food sources.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:03 PM

at this web site you can click on and download a vitamin K table

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=9673

supplementing during pregnancy will not really increase baby's vitamin K much of course get atleast the RDA amount just to be healthy , but during pregnancy baby gets a very reduced amount of what mom has- there are probably some very good reasons for this although it has not been studied to say exactly why-- but if you think about vitamin K's relationship to calcium that would be one reason- if a baby was laying down more bone, but there are more actions than just mineralization of bones, there are other relationships to cell division ...
Now to say a confounder- the mother/baby pair has not been studied completely to figure out how much a mother would need to eat in order to satisfy baby's need. What has been studied is that when you supplement mom either thought food or supplement that the content in breastmilk increases and baby's levels increase. so by all means I think your plan has merit- for postpartum/breastfeeding time period-
in discussing this problem of figuring out how much vitamin K foods should be eaten anthro reports say that 7% of daily calories were greens in pre-industrial diets. this amount is probably the amount that would meet our nutrient needs though out our life time and be of value in more than just providing vitamin K .

To also let you know that you can buy supplemental oral vitamin K sans RX - it is the same stuff we give orally to babies- Birth with love is the company that we buy it from-
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...r+your+newborn
Old 10-15-2006, 12:21 PM

eat lots of dark leafy greens, yellow veggies, you can take alfalfa tabs, some fruits are high in it as well. i did all of these things. GL.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know how well those vit k shots work anyway. A friend's son ended up with a brain bleed, which is what vit k shots are supposed to prevent, and he'd had the vit k. He's fine, btw.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Here my deal, if every baby born on eath that ever has been is born with what docotr feel is a low vit K level, wouldnt you think thats the way they are suppost to be? Just my two cents.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycatcher01 View Post
Here my deal, if every baby born on eath that ever has been is born with what docotr feel is a low vit K level, wouldnt you think thats the way they are suppost to be? Just my two cents.
oh how could you! deferring to nature like that! shame!

seriously, this is so true. though I doubt nature intended for babies to be pulled out with vacuum extractors or their moms on antiseizure meds, etc.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM

I think that there is a wide range of vitamin K levels, and in investigating how to prevent deaths or brain injury there is additional things that can be done.-this is where the idea started someone seeking a preventative -

do you think that hydrogenated oil is "natural" or margarine-- these products were made starting sometime in the 30's - in the process of production there is a unique form of vitamin K made dihydrophylloquinone doesn't work the same or have exactly the same properties as phylloquinone the natural form that is found in greens. Think about how many greens you and the people you know eat in a day....

The studies on aging in Japan and here in the US are showing that many diseases of aging from osteoperosis, hardening of the arteries, CHD, osteoarthritis all have a relationship to low vitamin K intake---
I think that because vitamin K is not only part of the clot forming parts but also the proteins that are anit-clotting factors proteins C,S and Z that are essential to making healthy injury repair-- the thing is that low levels of protein C and S are also associated with other diseases like lupus.
it is also important to know that vitamin K is a complex of vitamins menaquinones as well as phylloquinone and the dihydrophylloquinone--
so do I think that looking at the levels we provide to your newborns are adequate probably not.. because we are not eating what we should and our crazy food choices have spread world wide...

User Tag List