what is baby doing during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but I have no idea what the baby is doing during the contractions. I mean the whole time, from when they first start to when the little one actually comes out. Are they awake? Moving around as much as usual (except, I assume, during an actual contraction when they're being squeezed)? My last labor was sorta long, and I'm wondering if the little guy was awake most of the time... cause he seemed really tired when he came out. Wanted to take a nap right away. My midwife thought it was sort of funny, but he looked perfectly healthy, so it was just one of those oddities that I'm wondering now if there's a reasonable explanation for.

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wondered about that too.
#3 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM

DD stopped moving almost entirely once labor got well underway. It kinda worried me, actually, since she'd been so active the few days beforehand. My best guess would be that she was concentrating, just like me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM

ds was kicking. nonstop. he was spazzing out. the stronger the contractions got the crazier they made him. he kicked and dance around so much it was making waves in the tub. i told him if he didn't stop i was gonna name him punk.

he was born suddenly between contractions, so i really think he kick himself out.

i don't think that's typical though.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#5 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM

My first was turning himself breech during labour. I didn't labour with dd (let them schedule me for a c/s when she turned breech at 39w )...laboured for about 8 hours with ds2, and he was pretty quiet...

I think it really depends on the baby, and I don't think ds1 was at all typical!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 05:13 PM

My mw said that lots of times (in an unmedicated birth) the baby will actually be pushing against the top of your uterus with his feet during a contraction and "helping out".

Kirsten, wife of Jason, mom to Anne, 7, and Orion, 5 (my HBAC baby!).  Owner of Bloo Kangaroo Carriers - bringing moms, dads, and little ones closer since 2007.

#7 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 PM

The baby is working hard too!!! They kind of rotate their heads to help open the cervix and the push and wriggle a little bit help push themselves out. So the first thing I said to dd when they put her on my tummy was "You did it!"

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07) and (3/10)
#8 of 16 Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnesMoM View Post
My mw said that lots of times (in an unmedicated birth) the baby will actually be pushing against the top of your uterus with his feet during a contraction and "helping out".
My DD did this! When I was pushing, my belly hurt really really bad in one specific spot. When her head was crowning I touched that spot on my belly and you could feel the perfect shape of her foot pushing on me. After she was born we said "no wonder that hurt!" because she had ginormous feet

CPST & mom

#9 of 16 Old 10-28-2006, 03:49 PM

My ds kicked and wiggled the whole time - even as I was pushing him out.
#10 of 16 Old 10-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
they are asleep and awake and they actively move to fit better- you can feel the heads nuzzling around and they spin. they also suck their fingers or thumbs, squeeze the cord-- their head molds to fit, they have reflexes that help and their heart rates changes depending on the activity and the stimuli - including a vagal response to their fontanels being stimulated - endorphins get higher in response to the stimulus, and the whole time their bodies are still working on nourishment and respiration via placental circulation
#11 of 16 Old 10-28-2006, 09:23 PM

Facinating!
It seems like such an alien world in there. In some ways it is...then again some ways not.
Very interesting.

:

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#12 of 16 Old 10-28-2006, 09:28 PM

I have wondered what the bay is going thru, does it hurt, are they scared,etc. Kind of makes you womder, things that make you go hmmm.......
#13 of 16 Old 10-29-2006, 12:14 AM

Hah, good question!

DD1, no idea.

DD2 was sleeping through most of my labor. Her heartrate only went up a tad through transition. And now, it appears she's a fairly mellow baby. Wonder if there's any significance to that?
#14 of 16 Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 AM

DS#1 was freaking out, so was I, tons of narcotics and he got scratched by the doctor's knife during an unecessary, "routine" episiotomy. Looking back maybe it was a good thing he was drugged I'm sure he was exhausted from me pushing him for 2.5 hours. He was a sunny side up posterior baby.

DS#2 calm, happy, cooperative, got stuck on a cervical lip but kinda just slid right out after it was gone. He was very quiet during contractions and I don't recall much movement during labor, but his heartrate was perfect and steady the whole time. This was an unmedicated home birth...wow what a difference.
#15 of 16 Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnesMoM View Post
I sooooo felt that! You could even see it on my belly!

Very cool thread!!
#16 of 16 Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
they are asleep and awake and they actively move to fit better- you can feel the heads nuzzling around and they spin. they also suck their fingers or thumbs, squeeze the cord-- their head molds to fit, they have reflexes that help and their heart rates changes depending on the activity and the stimuli - including a vagal response to their fontanels being stimulated - endorphins get higher in response to the stimulus, and the whole time their bodies are still working on nourishment and respiration via placental circulation
That is amazing!!! I so can;t wait to learn more about this, I really want to be a MW one day

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page