Mothering Forum banner

Did anyone have a pathological retraction ring during their birth?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TxMominCT 
#1 ·
I was told that during my first birth I had a "pathological retraction" ring where part of the uterus began to thin and nearly ruptured and a raised ring formed in the center of the uterus. I was told it was the result of severe cephalopelvic (sp?) disproportion (baby with HUGE head vs. misshapen pelvic outlet.) In any case, I wonder if the effects are lasting on the uterus or if it puts any risk on future births? Also I would like any information about it!

#4 ·
Our youngest ended up being a c/s and our dr. told me afterward that I had a retraction ring- also called "Bandle's ring"- I've done' quite a bit of reading about it and it isn't necessarily caused by a "disproportionate pevis"- but is usually caused by poorly positioned baby- which is what happened to me. our DD2 was posterior ans slightly turned so that her shoulder was pointed forward - this is what i was told caused the "ring"- and therefore a c/s was absolutely necessary.......

......Having said that- I'm not completely convinced about this. The more I've read and annalysed what happened, I think that if I'd been able to of gotten into a better position to turn the baby a bit (her head wasn't engaged during early labour), I think that the ring would of disappeared.......

If you've had one case of "bandle's ring" that doesn't mean that you will always have this happen- like I said, it's alot to do with position of the baby. our first dD was born at home with a midwife, 10 hours of active labour and 35 minutes of pushing!! so obviously I didn't have a "disproportionate pelvis" then!!!!

#5 ·
I had this, and needed a c-section, I thought it might have had to do with the fact that they over stimulated my uterus when they were trying to induce my labor? But she was also positioned poorly and had the cord wrapped around her neck so she wouldn't descend which was the reason for the section. They never really told me much about it, where are y'all finding your research? I can't find any info, and I 'd love to learn more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.