Who vaginally birthed their 1st "BIG" baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd wasn't that big, she was only 8lbs 2oz. But she did have a big head. Her head was 15" around. She had a nuchal hand too(hand up near her face on the way out). I only pushed for an hour and ten minutes.

I had a doctor tell me years prior that I would have difficulty giving birth because of my small pelvis. I wanted to go back to see her and :nana:

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM

I delivered by first baby at 18, and she weighed in at 9lbs 5oz..no meds at all. I did tear a lot though. I'm also "small" by obstetrical standards. 5''5 and am usually a size 5.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#33 of 51 Old 11-23-2006, 04:47 AM

My first was big. He was 10lbs 8oz, and 24inches. He had his hand up by his head and his head was big. He did get stuck, because of his hand by his head. Also, his water never broke, and he was born in the caul.

But I pushed him out, in about six or seven pushes. And I have absolutely no hips, and look like I would be too small. I had one small tear, but it healed fine.

I've been told more than once that there's no way I should have been able to have him naturally, or as fast as I did.

Oh, well. :
#34 of 51 Old 11-23-2006, 05:01 AM

My dd was 9lbs 9oz. I birthed her no problem, even though she was posterior. I was induced, and given an epidural after 36 hrs of labor (note to self - never agree to induction again!!). Took me 1 1/2 hrs to push her out, and that was pretty much the easiest part of labor!

They scared me into the induction by saying she was 9lbs 14oz - I was 2 week overdue, and they wouldn't let me go any longer anyway. Can you tell I had a lot to learn about what you can say no to?

You can do it - don't let them scare you!
#35 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Go Mom! Just believe in yourself (I know, I know. . . so many questions with your first, but there's lots of inner strength you can pull from other experiences).

My first was 9lb 14.25oz. I had had one 25mg shot of Demerol (normally prescribed in batches of 4 shots X 25mg as a "starter", I was told) 3 hours before she was born, when I had been in labour all day - painful active labour for 6.5 hours - and got completely disheartened to hear that I was only 1.5-2cm dialated. Totally useless - would never repeat! I also should have known to heed the non-linear progression of labour! (ie. I then went from 1.5-2cm to ready to pushing in the following 2.5 hours). Our daughter was born after 35 minutes pushing. I am certain this would have been a whole lot smoother and shorter if I had NOT been semi-reclined in bed with the nurses jamming my legs up a la stirrups and if I had NOT allowed valsalva pushing. I did have a tear with several stitches - just barely classified as second degree. The doctor must have thought it was a bit of a tough delivery as he joked, "Bet you don't want to do that again anytime soon!" I couldn't have disagreed more. As soon as she was out, I felt FANTASTIC, and had an overwhelming feeling of "Well, I could certainly do THAT again! Soon!"

My second was 9lb 1.5 oz. 20 minutes pushing.

My third was 11lb. 1oz. 0 minutes "pushing". We BARELY made it to the hospital and he just "came out" over 2 waves of contractions immediately as I stood up out of the wheelchair and attempted to hitch myself onto the birthing bed.

I agree with the others: try any position. I had horrible back labour with my first (well, all three) and although nurse mildly suggested at one point that I try changing position, when I leaned forward to sit at the edge of the bed it was so excrutiating that I just flopped back. Silly me! Should have continued that change in position right over to hands and knees, or leaning very deeply into my thighs with my back muscles stretched (a personal favourite for the worst part of labour - also works since we are usually still on our long drive to the hospital).

I know that although I read about using other positions and wrote in my birth plan that I'd like to use them, I certainly felt inhibited about this somehow in my first birth. Not strong enough to insist on them and the doc/nurses certainly didn't suggest anything different than their favourite "mom semi-reclined in bed" pose! I know that in my first birth, the whole squatting thing just didn't seem "right" to me FOR ME (obviously some "ladylike" hangups). I laugh at myself now to see how my visions of ideal birthing positons have changed! It's just a feeling that's grown within me. Good luck!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#36 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 PM

My son was 9lbs 13oz. Best wishes to you for a healthy, happy vaginal birth!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#37 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 PM

My first was a 9 lb, 7 oz vaginal birth in the hospital. I had a terrible 4th degree tear, but I blame that on the episiotomy (which I consented to, but only in the middle of pushing and hardly in the state of mind to give my consent). :

My second was only 8 lbs 10 oz, but was out in 2 pushes and I had no tears. Not a one!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
#38 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 PM

my first was over 10 lbs, but i am not exactly sure the exact amount. at her dr appt a few days after she was born at home she was weighed in at 9'12, so her ped thought she was probably 10 something as they lose a few oz after birth. my midwife knew she was big but didnt tell me, which i am greatful for bc i think it would have made me nervous. no matter how totally psyched i was to have the baby naturally at home, you always have a little voice of nervousness in your head that tells you you cannot handle it (at least i did). but i did! and so can you!

just beware of the pressure to induce or have a c-section bc of your baby's size. look at how many women have done it! best wishes! you can do it, and then you can BRAG like us!
#39 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 11:24 PM

I had a UC with my first, who weighed 9lbs10oz.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#40 of 51 Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 PM

Ok, I can one up all of you. (well, sorta!) My dh's cousin has birthed two babies over 12 (yes that's 12) pounds vaginally! She has gestational diabetes, that's why they're so huge. CRAZY!

My friend's first baby was 9lbs 2oz and my friend was a size 0 when she got married. We're talking tiny with pretty much no hips. She did tear, but I think it's pretty phenomenal she was able to do it drug free!

My biggest was also my first, but she was only 8lbs4oz. My smallest was 7lbs6oz. The nurse said he was "perfectly average." I was rather offended. As if there is anything average about MY son!

Definately have faith in your body. Your pelvis isn't something concrete. If you get into positions other than lying your back, it has plenty of ability to move out of the way.

Best wishes on your upcoming birth! You'll do just fine!~
#41 of 51 Old 11-25-2006, 12:00 AM

OH YEAH, MAMA, YOU CAN DO IT!!

ds was 10 pounds, born at home. It was long (17 hrs), but not overwhelming and the most empowering thing I've ever done.

Plus, it's always fun to see the look on people's faces when I say he was 10 lbs.....and born at home! They are shocked and often say, "so does that mean you didn't have any drugs?"
#42 of 51 Old 11-25-2006, 02:03 AM

Mine was 9 lb 8 oz... I had a horrible, long induced labor but when it came time to push, I only pushed for 45 minutes - first time mom! Just a small tear and no episiotomy, thanks to my doc who uses a lot of midwifery techniques and lets you take your time. Had no trouble getting him out at all.
#43 of 51 Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM

My first was 9.6 and was a planned UC.Second was 9.8. Positioning to help the baby out is important.Many times caregivers want a postition that they are comfortable with,and it sometimes results in the baby having a hard time getting out.Best wishes!
#44 of 51 Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My fourth child was born at home 2 months ago weighing 9 pounds and 12 oz. I honestly could not even feel her head come out. My midwife was doing perineal massage and guarding the area with her hands. I felt the ring of fire and then they said here is the head and I reached down expecting to feel her hair because I had not felt the head but it was already out. I had a very tiny tear that I couldn't feel.
#45 of 51 Old 11-25-2006, 02:47 PM

My first child was considered large, nine pounds, 22.5 inches long and I birthed him vaginally no proble. My second was small by comparison, though within normal range 7.5 and my last baby was 10lbs 6oz and all natural with a midwife.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#46 of 51 Old 11-26-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!!! Thanks for all the encouragement mamas!!! I'm going to print this out and keep reading it over and over
#47 of 51 Old 11-26-2006, 02:25 PM

My former boss, her son was 13lbs 14oz, and she is a small framed and short lady, and this was 25yrs ago, she did it all natural! Yah for her!!!
#48 of 51 Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 AM

My son lost weight before birth due to being overdue and having a couple of bowel movements in utero, but was still 8 lbs. 11 oz. If he'd been born a bit sooner, I'd guess that he would have been at least 9 lbs. His length was 22 inches (which apparently is "off the chart") and his head circumference was 14.5 inches (which is also "off the chart").

I pushed for 1 1/2 hours after a 54 hour labour, and didn't even have a tear. I definitely stretched, and was sore for about a week, but that was it.

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#49 of 51 Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 PM

ME TOO! My 1st was 10lbs & born @ home. I pushed most effectively in a supported squat (dh on one sie & midwife on another). I am convinced that I would have had a c/s if I had been flat on my back in a hospital.
#50 of 51 Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 AM

my big baby was supposed to be 9 lbs but she was a tiny 7.14 and birthed vaginally
#51 of 51 Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 PM

My first baby was 9lb 3 oz, and I had him vaginally. I was sore afterwards, but I attribute much of the pain to having had an epidural during pushing, and not having any control of my pushes, yk?

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page