Who vaginally birthed their 1st "BIG" baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My MW thinks my baby (my 1st) is going to be on the big side.... I have had the same suspicion all through my pregnancy. I need some encouragement that I can do this naturally.... I know my body will make the right baby for it but ACK that sounds like a lot of baby!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 AM

You can do it mama! My first was 10 lbs 6 oz and he was born vaginally. My only regret is that I caved to an induction because they suspected he was big. The induction was horrible and led to one intervention after another.

You can definitely do it! Your body is meant to do it!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#3 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Me! Me! I vaginally birthed our 10 lb. 9 oz. dd, with only a tiny tear. You can do it mama! FYI, if they think your baby is big, they will most likely push HARD for an induction or c/s. My mw/ob did and I had to fight every step of the way to avoid both.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#4 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 PM

My mil had a natural, vaginal birth with her 11lb, 4oz son. (not my dh) I am always in awe of that story.

"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." -Isaac Asimov read.gif

#5 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Everyone exclaimed over how big my baby was (1st babe), but these babies sound BIG Ds was born vaginally at 9.1 I really thought the labor was just fine. I did tear quite a bit, but I really didn't notice. My husband jokingly asked me immediately after the birth if I was ready to have another one. I said yes without another thought Definitely wasn't traumatic. What a great experience! No intervention, completely natural homebirth!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#6 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM

my first was 9lbs 2 oz and i was only 16 and per pregnant weight of 103lbs myself... i was only 5 days past my EDD, but i pushed for 2 1/2 hours i had had an epidural for 10 hours before that since i was 4 cm along... it was long labor, then i ended up with focepts instead of a c section ds heart rate droped after 2 hours and the dr was called in by my midwife b/c she knew i didn't want a c section so i opted for forcepts inseat it wasn't fun, it was awful, but i think it would have been much better if i hadn't had the epidural for that many hours before...
i then had two more 9lbers but with awful drs who did episiotmies still b/c baby was just to big..next baby will be deliver in a Birth center and i will make it will know that i will tear and NOT get another epis.
you can do it mama!!!
#7 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM

I gave birth to my first, a 9 lb 10 oz baby boy, on Friday. Despite his size and the fact that I had to be induced for preeclampsia, it was a relatively quick, easy birth. I think genetics has a lot to do with it - my mother gave birth to large babies without undue difficulty, so it wasn't terribly surprising that I was able to do the same.

Good luck with the birth! I think you'll really enjoy having a large newborn. As a first time mother, it's very reassuring - they don't seem quite so fragile or breakable, and a lot of the large babies I've seen seem to have more control over their muscles and aren't as "floppy."
#8 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM

My first was 9lbs 6oz and I was able to birth him vaginally even after unfavorable conditions (induction with low bishop, epidural, pushign lithotomy, etc). I'm thankful that my MW predicted his size inaccurately in the opposite direction (she thought he was about 7.5 lbs). I think if I had been told he was going to be big that could have led to some fears and cause problems. Definitely work on getting your confidence up before the birth. You CAN do this mama!!!!!!! I really think size means very little. I have a relateively small frame and I had no problems what so ever. Believe in yourself! My 2nd was also 9lbs 6oz, but he had a 15 inch head, yikes! I didn't even tear with him. I would recomend not pushing on your back (duh!). I would say you have the best chance if you avoid interventions. If you are birthing in a hospital don't get the epidural and don't push on your back and don't allow coached pushing. A lot of people recomend squatting but I found my pelvis opened wider while on my knees leaning forward. Just try different positions and see what works.

Of course your MW could be way off and you could have a 7 lber, lol. FWIW, I think big babies are flippin' adorable!!!!!!

~Erin
#9 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned

My first was 9lbs 13oz, and I was only 17 years old. No induction, born vaginally, no complications.
#10 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 02:31 PM

Coming from a race whose average babies are 6 pounders, I vaginally gave birth to a "big" baby who was 8lb 9oz.
Induction with Pitocin, no pain meds, very minimal tearing (one tear, one stitch- doc was even rethinking if stitching was needed. He did anyway for "support"-whatever that means)
#11 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM

nak

dd#1 (20months old now) was 9lb 4oz - born naturally in a hospital

dd#2 (17 days old!!!) was 10lb 14oz - born naturally in the water at home - her birth was avtually quicker and easier than my first

Don't let anyone scare you - your body will not make a baby bigger than you can handle - good luck!
#12 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM

The babies in my family always run big. I was 9lb11oz, dh almost 10lb, our first daughter 9lb15oz. Granted, she was an unneccessary c/s, so I didn't actually get the chance to birth her vaginally, but I'm preggo with #2 right now and sure that it will be 10lbs or more. You can do it. Keep in mind that the silly 7lb average figure is out of date and based upon all babies born, including those who are premature or have some problem that puts them in the <5lb range. I don't even consider anything in the 9lb range as that big, and I think that would be a healthy mindset for everyone, pregnant moms and obs to adopt.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#13 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 02:49 PM

My first was 9 lb. 8 oz. and my second was 9 lb. 4 oz.

The second was definately easier, but both were just fine. Only a small tear the first time. My midwife predicted bigger for my first than he actually was and I was scared! But he turned out smaller.

The second time around, I was told he was prob. about 7 lbs. nope.

You'll do fine - whatever happens. Good luck to you!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#14 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 02:52 PM

1st was 9lbs 11oz with only a slight tear, no stiches, no intervention.

2nd 10lbs 4oz same as above.

You can do it!!
#15 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first was born after 3 hours of labor and 5 minutes of pushing and was 9 lbs. I did have an episiotomy, though it healed quickly and nicely. My second was smaller, 8 lbs 9 oz, born after 2 hours of labor and 4 pushes. I did have a labial tear with my second because the delivery went so quick.

I was induced with both.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#16 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Mine will be the smallest on the thread at 9 lbs. even, but I had him at home with a 4 hour labor and maybe 15 minutes of pushing. No big deal. I did tear, but it healed without stitches.
#17 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 10:47 PM

I birthed three big babies. The smallest was 9lb 8 oz, the others 10lb 4 and 10lb 8. Their size honestly made no difference. I tore a little first time, but not at all with #s 2 and 3.

You can do it! My babes carried all their weight on their thighs, anyway, and that makes no difference - it's the head you've got to push out!!
#18 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 PM

9 lbs 4 oz at home. You can do it!
#19 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 PM

I'm pregnant with my first (39 weeks) and expecting a good-sized babe myself. And I'm not that worried. Here's why: My mother, who is smaller than I am, had great labors with all three of her children. I weighed 9 lbs, 9 ounces. I was the smallest. My brother weighed 10-1. Her labor with me was 12 hours; my sister's was 8 hours; my brother's was only 6 hours. The issues isn't really the size; it's positioning. Fat is squishy, after all.
#20 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Both of my sisters had nearly 10 lb first babes with midwives and nothing but TLC and no issues whatesover. .

My babes were all born at home, but the biggest was 7.7, so I can't comment for myself. Both of my sisters are regular sized women.
#21 of 51 Old 11-21-2006, 11:31 PM

You can do it! My ds was "big" (by the OB's standard... just short of 9lb). He was my first and I only pushed for 10 minutes (don't ask how long I labored... I was induced). The midwife, OB, and nurses all guessed he would be around 7 or 7 1/2 pounds (he was born at 39 weeks). It was a bit of a shocker when he came out

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 12:50 AM

My ds was 9.9 lbs born w/o intervention at a birth center in a hostipal.

My advice is to stay at home as long as possible to avoid anyone managing your birth and don't allow them to direct you during pushing.

You can do it!!!
#23 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 AM

My ds was 9 lbs 6 oz born at home with no interventions and I only torn a tiny bit - didn't even need stitches! I have a small frame too. You can definitely do it!
#24 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 10:42 AM

My own first baby was really tiny for this thread - only 7 lbs 11 oz, but this year of I have attended first time moms who birthed babies that were 9 lbs 7 oz (and this mama was 17 yrs old) 9 lbs 15 1/2 oz (and this baby managed to pee and poop before we weighed him, so was definitely over 10 lbs to start) and most recently - 10 lbs 14 oz. Earlier this year I had a very tiny first time mom have a baby who was 9 lbs 7 oz, too - the parents and I were really shocked by this one.
#25 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notneb View Post
I think genetics has a lot to do with it - my mother gave birth to large babies without undue difficulty, so it wasn't terribly surprising that I was able to do the same.
Yeah, that.

My mom had big babies too so it seems only natural that I would have big babies and birth them just fine.
First was 8 lbs 14.5 oz (hospital induction)
Second was 10 lbs. 12.5 oz (homebirth turned into transport)
Third was 10 lbs 7 oz (home waterbirth)
#26 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 AM

My DS was 9# 1.4 oz, and posterior. I pushed him out in 45 minutes even with the epidural (not even gonna go into how I ended up with one of those stupid &%^% things...: ) I did have a few stitches, but I think it is b/c I had my jaw clenched and mouth tight instead of loose and relaxed, had I read Ina May's guide to childbirth during my first pregnancy, I would have known better. Also, at crowning I kept pushing, and apparently you're supposed to take a break, and just relax and breathe to give your body more time to slowly stretch.
#27 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Congrats on the baby!

As many have said - be grateful for a 'big baby' - I seriously never worried about the health of my little orangutan - he was always very healthy, alert, and strong.

He was 9lbs 9oz - funny how I can usually brag about that, but not here - all of you Momas have me passed.

I was induced, not by choice, but by my own ignorance.
I was 8 days passed my 'EDD'.

I was put on a great deal of pitocin, after they broke my water - it was awful. I will never get pitocin again. After a few hours of, not so good pain management - I recieved an epidural.

Pushed for two and a half hours, on my back.
I had an awful nurse - and next time, (hopefully birth centered) I will ask for another nurse.
She was impatient and snotty - finally, as I birthed him - she looked at him, and said "Wow. He's huge." - No kidding dollface.

I did tear - but I do not believe I was ready to push, I had not felt the urge to push yet, and I remember putting my body through more than it wanted to - I was at ease going a slower, steadier pace - never really tired. Yet, she kept pushing and pushing me to go faster, faster.

Eh.

Know yourself. Stick up for your baby and body.

You can definitely do it.

Edit: I'm small framed - prepregnancy pant size of 2 - and I'm back there, but I wont even mention how much I weighed at 41 weeks. Eeek!
#28 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I was just in Babies R Us and this woman was talking about how her baby boy was 10 lb. at birth and "OF COURSE I didn't do that naturally, it was a c-section!" not that surprising as most people around here are pretty mainstream when it comes to birth, and it WAS BRU, but still sad.

These are the kinds of things that make us think we can't do what our bodies were meant to do!!!
#29 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 09:40 PM

All 3 of mine were big and born vaginally. My first was 10 lbs 10 oz, and I managed a vaginal delivery despite a hospital induction. My third (born yesterday!) was 11 lbs, 2 oz!

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#30 of 51 Old 11-22-2006, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
our first 10 lbs 5 oz
#2 10 lbs 11 oz
#3 9 lbs
#4 12 lbs

all v no drugs....

I say have a good birth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version