Large placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting so tired of sifting through mainstream medical wepages that are little or no help. Hoping there are some mamas here with info to help?

Background Info:

Last December, I HBed my 3rd babe. I've known since my first baby (all three have been Coombs positive) that I have ABO incompatibility with my babes, and that it tends to the severe side.

With all the babes, the only symptom of the ABO problem was the typical pathological jaundice that develops right away. My first two were born before I turned crunchy, so they were hospital births, and of course, the jaundice earned them NICU status.

With baby 3, I did a bunch of research and realized that the jaundice is manageable from home. We were successfully able to manage it, and baby and I reaped the benefits of a gentle, peaceful HB and babymoon as a result.

What concerns me, and is outside the expertise of my birth attendant, is that the placenta was HUGE - probably about 14 inches in diameter, 2-3 inches thick, and weighed exactly 11 lbs. As I recall, about 8 inches dia and 1 lb is normal.

Now that babe will soon be turning 1, and we are starting to think about the next child who may someday join our family, I'd really like to get some answers.

My Questions:

Can ABO cause a large placenta? Since my antibodies seem to get stronger with each pregnancy, will the next one be even bigger than 11 lbs? What risks does a large placenta pose?

My last pg was wonderful. I felt great and was extremely healthy. Baby was a good weight - 8lbs, 13oz, and other than the jaundice, he was very healthy.

I liked that there was little medical intervention during my pregnancy - no ultrasounds, GD, GBS tests, or the like.

I'm wondering now, though, if I were to have another pregnancy, would I be putting my baby and/or me in harm's way to go the natural route I love so much, for both prenatal care and the birth itself?

If you have any info to share, or can just point me in the direction of finding answers, I'd be so grateful!

User Tag List