Postpartum hypertension - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having some blood pressure issues since about 4 days after my baby was born (on 11/14). My blood pressure was pretty high at the end of the pregnancy too (but no signs of preeclampsia), and then was normal for a few days after the birth before it shot up higher than ever.

I was taking labetalol for a few days but it didn't help my bp, and there was some concern that it could be affecting my baby's breathing (he's having breathing issues), so I just switched to nifedipine. I hate taking meds., especially while I'm nursing, but it seems like this is a scary enough condition that I should be trying to control it somehow.

Generally, my bp has been around 160/100, sometimes going up to 180/110. Has anyone else been through this? How long did it last? Any info. greatly appreciated. I also had high bp after the birth of my twins, but not to the extent that I needed medication, just extra monitoring.

Thanks for any help!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM

I had issues with my BP after the birth of my second. It wasn't high enough to need meds, but it was high (especially for me). It went down sometime between 2 weeks pp and 6 weeks pp, but I can't remember exactly when. I just remember it being normal at my 6 week checkup. I have no advice for you, but wanted you to know you're not the only one.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 AM

Lex, I'm going to link this over in Birth Professionals

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#4 of 6 Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 AM

I don't know much about blood pressure issues after pregnancy, but there are a couple of areas I might look at...
: Post-partum pre-eclampsia - are your organs still functioning okay (simplest check is protein in urine, blood tests are more definitive)? It's not common for it to come post-partum, but rarely it does
: Retained placental fragments or membrances - if it's enough to cause blood pressure issues, it usually stops your milk production
: You are getting hypertension unrelated to pregnancy - do you have a family history? Are you closer to 40 than 20?
: You have an unusual reaction to the hormones of birth, labor, and immediate post-partum. This reaction somehow raises your blood pressure as you adjust to normal post-partum.
: You have labile blood pressure, or "white coat hypertension" and there's enough stress with a baby who's having trouble breathing to keep it high and every time it gets taken, you get nervous and get a high number.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 6 Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ditto what Apricot pointed out.

I'm so sorry, mama.
#6 of 6 Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.

The new meds. seem to be working! My bp was 125/88 this morning (still lying down), and then 134/93 after I'd been up for 30 minutes or so. I'm so relieved. Hopefully it will continue to stabilize and I can go off the drugs in a couple weeks.

Btw, my bloodwork has all been normal, so no pre-e.

I do have a family history of high blood pressure (both my parents are on meds.), even though we don't "look" like people who would have high blood pressure (we're tall and skinny). I think it's partially because we're so anxious.

I'm 26 years old, and otherwise healthy, but pregnancy is hard on my body.

I do think I have the "white coat hypertension," but this seems different since lying down hadn't been lowering it at all (until today--yippee!).

And I definitely think that my anxiety about the baby could be affecting my bp, but it's hard to know how much.

My midwives say that postpartum hypertension usually goes away by 2-6 weeks postpartum, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks again, mamas.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page