For those who have gone natural - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Birth and Beyond > For those who have gone natural
wrzos's Avatar wrzos 10:29 PM 11-29-2006
I had no pain meds while laboring/delivering my ds1. Quite frankly, I didn't think labor was all that bad - UNTIL - transition. I used a lot of Ina May's "camel lips" to blow off the strength of the contraction. I didn't realize I was in transition until it was almost over - I thought it suddenly got worse b/c that was when I arrived at the hospital and they had me on the bed running the 20 min. strip on me (prior I was only comfortable while standing/walking).

Anyhoo... I thought pushing SUCKED! I could feel the crowning, and the OB asked me to slow down a bit so he could "lube me up" so-to-speak. That was more of a tight pulling sensation or the burn feel you always hear about. The pushing hurt - and what made it worse for me was knowing that it was my pushing that made it hurt. I allowed them to direct my pushing, and I pushed him out in 15-20 minutes. This time around, I'm going to try and go slower, let my body work the babe out more to see if the pushing is less intense for me.

On to tears... I had some tearing (1st or 2nd degree - the OB didn't note which and I forgot to ask at the time). He numbed me with a shot before stitching and I didn't feel a thing. Nor did it take much time. I was more worried about aftercare on the stitches. I fell in love with my peri bottle, and really healed quite easily (compared to other stories I've heard).

bugsma's Avatar bugsma 01:01 AM 11-30-2006
For me, pushing was way more intense than contractons-- I had heard that the contractions would be easier, so I was surprised and actually said out loud "wow, this is harder than i thought"

Crowning was painful, but less so than I imagined. It helps, I think, to get yourself in the mindframe that the pain is temporary and useful and not harming your body. Have you read Ina May Gaskin??

Deep moaning helped me get through contractions. My labor was quick, so the music, swaying, etc. I had planned I never used

I tore-- a second degree-- didn't feel it. The sutures weren't painful either-- I barely felt the lidocaine (and I've had lidocaine for other procedures and it can REALLY sting!)

Good luck!
A&A's Avatar A&A 01:05 AM 11-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Pushing the baby out was actually really a relief and felt great compared to the contractions!! It felt good to be able to push, or to feel the urge in my case as I wasnt told to push. Crowning felt a bit like major stretching for a few seconds but it was nice compared to the rest of labour.
:

And I had some "skid marks" --almost tears.

Make sure you get off your back!!!
A&A's Avatar A&A 01:07 AM 11-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
I had all the drugs with my first and none with my second. You experience LESS pain when you "go natural". Epis only prolong the pain and in some cases like mine, epis dont even take. My pushing was less painful and more effective without medication.

coobabysmom's Avatar coobabysmom 12:30 PM 11-30-2006
Quote:
Did pushing the baby out hurt a lot more than the contractions? Or were they about the same? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had a tear without meds
For those who had stitches, did having those put in hurt?
Also, if it was really painful during the pushing stage for you did it make you want to stop pushing to avoid the pain?

Pushing hurt more than than all my contractions but I wasn't scared, I just wanted ds OUT! I was completely single-minded about getting him out and when a contraction hit it wasn't the contraction that was brutal, it was feeling him slide ever so slowly down the birth canal. When he crowned, the burn was intense and I had mutliple 3 degree tears that were stitched up w/lidocane.

Quote:
One more question (LOL I feel like I've never given birth before I have so many!) What were some of the techniques you used to get through the pain? I know about water, the birthing ball, changing positions, music, massage...any I'm missing?
If this question is about how to be more comfortable so you can push dc out, then for me water and using a birthing stool was it. By this time, I really didn't want to be touched (even by clothing!) and music got annoying.

Oh, the other thing I would do differently is to have a hb. I labored at home and showed up at the birthing center (not free standing in IL) pushing. The "vibe" of ds' birth changed at the point and I've always wondered if the pushing stage would have been more mellow, resulting in less tearing had I just stayed put!

btw, the vag is magic! Tears heal even very bad ones... and that was my huge fear before I gave birth!
Jilian's Avatar Jilian 12:56 PM 11-30-2006
I had a natural childbirth in a hospital with DS. The contractions hurt more than the pushing because during the pushing I was too focused on getting DS out. The pushing was a relief and I knew the end was near. The crowning did hurt, but in a different kind of way. There was an intense amount of pressure and some burning for about a minute then things went a little numb. I had 2nd degree tearing that I did not feel until a few hours later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkinMama View Post
YES! My MW gave me a small shot to numb the area but it still hurt. I remember feeling silly saying "ouch" when she stitched me because I had just birthed a baby naturally.

Quote:
Also, if it was really painful during the pushing stage for you did it make you want to stop pushing to avoid the pain?
I absolutely did NOT want to stop. The pain of crowning made me want to get DS out ASAP and that is probably why I tore. The MW told me to slow down and instead I pushed as hard as I could and DS popped out.

Quote:
One more question (LOL I feel like I've never given birth before I have so many!) What were some of the techniques you used to get through the pain? I know about water, the birthing ball, changing positions, music, massage...any I'm missing?
Breathing and focusing helped me the most. I didn't have a pre-planned focal point so I looked at the gold sticker on my boppy pillow package (in the far corner of the room) with every contraction. It helped a lot. It helped to have a "plan" for each contraction. The contraction would come, I would sit up, look at the sticker, and start deep breathing. When the contraction ended I let my whole body go limp and rest.

The shower did not work for me because it made things too intense. The birth ball also made things too intense. I mostly rested in a semi-reclined position (I know it's not best but I was SO tired). At the end I slept between contractions.
Floyderman's Avatar Floyderman 05:41 PM 11-30-2006
The contractions hurt worse, by far. There was certainly a lot of pain when my baby crowned, but it was over fairly quickly. I did tear, but the sensations all seemed to flow together so I can't say that the tear hurt worse than anything else.
grumpybear's Avatar grumpybear 11:54 PM 11-30-2006
I was induced after being transferred to the hospital from a midwifery.
I know for a fact that the contractions hurt like hell but the pushing wasn't so bad. I wanted to push for the longest time because it felt like I was insanely constipated.

I tried to not push past the burn (because at that point, I was just really impatient and wanted to get it over and done with). I guess I was lucky I had a great support system (husband, midwife, doula) and the intern who delivered my baby was very diligent with the perineal massage (as coached by my "real" doctor). Still, I was impatient and I could swear that if I had waited at most 5 minutes longer, I wouldn't have had a tear (about 1/4n, requiring one stitch). The doc was kinda iffy about whether to stitch me up or just let me be but he did stitch me up anyway for "support" (i don't really know what that means).

I pushed for 25minutes, by the way.
MotherWhimsey's Avatar MotherWhimsey 01:22 AM 12-01-2006
I went totally natural and had a third degree tear. I pushed for about 30-45 minutes, and then she flew out in one push. For me pushing felt like such a relief, it didn't really hurt at all. There was a burn when she crowned, but it wasn't anything terrible. When I ripped, I felt nothing at all. That was when she flew out and seriously I didn't think I had torn cause it didn't hurt. The area was pretty numb for several hours (they did have to numb it to stitch, but said it was pretty numb just from birth). I wasn't too sore till the next day.
acupuncturemomma's Avatar acupuncturemomma 03:52 AM 12-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoElias View Post
Honestly, I thought pushing was the most painful part of my labor. I had a cervical lip and I think that might have made it more painful, though. I had a few stitches, but they were no big deal. I was numbed with lidacaine, so they didn't hurt going in and they really didn't bother me at all. I think I was too in love with my son to even notice any pain or discomfort after his birth- they probably could've stitched me up with no meds and I truly don't think it would've bothered me much.
: except that I was in love with my daughter, not son.
janellesmommy's Avatar janellesmommy 04:15 AM 12-01-2006
When I first started pushing I thought I was trying to pass a huge piece of poo. I don't know how long it took me to figure out what was happening.

I'm pretty sure pushing was less painful than non-pushing contractions. I did have some first degree tears, but they never hurt.
thismama's Avatar thismama 04:17 PM 12-01-2006
I had a tear the required repair by a surgeon, and it didn't hurt a bit! Honestly the contractions were *unbelievably* painful, but pushing was waaaay better, and crowning/birth didn't hurt at all. My vajayjay felt numb and stretched, no pain.

Good luck!
egarcia76's Avatar egarcia76 04:40 PM 12-01-2006
Transitional contractions for me were WAY more painful than pushing. DP tells me I pushed for about an hour, but my perceptions were such that I can clearly recall only pushing a few times. Everything but the pain is SUCH a blur. I had back labor, & what really helped me was rocking on my hands and knees for about 45 mins during transition. Honestly, I didn't want to stay on my hands & knees, but the mean, old nurse (bless her!) pretty much demanded I do so. Ultimately, though, this rocking is what turned dd into pushing position!

The pushing didn't hurt; my body just had this uncontrollable urge to press down and, quite bluntly, it felt as if I needed to have a b.m. I'd seen a Maternity Ward special on The Learning Channel once where this woman had diarrhea during labor, and, honestly, I was so terrified of that that after the first really good, hard push, I looked up at DP and whispered "Did I poop?" Anyway, I didn't ... it just felt like I had. I read somewhere that the urge to push is so strong that, if someone offered you millions of dollars to stop, you'd turn them down. My experience was like that. The ring of fire? Yep, I had it. But the transitional contractions were so much worse. I tore and rec'd several internal stitches. The doc numbed me, so I didn't feel anything, but I can tell you that I was pretty sore inside for the next 6 wks or so.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! I originally asked for an epidural during this labor, but I was dilated 9 cm by the time the anesthesiologist arrived to administer it. Even though I will never forget the labor pain, I will definitely try for a natural birth w/any subsequent pg. It was awesome & empowering to be so totally aware & to be moving around freely right after childbirth. My friends who visited that night were like, "You're ALREADY up and about?!"
Peony's Avatar Peony 12:58 AM 12-02-2006
With dd1, pushing hurt far worse then the contractions did, it sucked, really sucked. With dd2, pushing didn't hurt at all, I was surprised at how pain free it was after the first time. Water helped me cope.
Igraine's Avatar Igraine 02:04 AM 12-02-2006
With my ds, I had a low dose of pitocin because of some problems with labor. The contraction pain was pretty tough. But I have to say pushing AND tearing was awful! I pushed for ever. He was stuck and had a huge head! And the stitches afterwards were the most memorable pain from that birth (worst pain I think I have ever had come to think of it). Even though I suffered a lot, I am glad I did not get cut. I healed really well, did not lose any sensation in that area and (eventually) gained the courage to get pregnant again.

Fast forward to last October. I needed no medication assistance with labor, labored at my mom's house for hours, went to the birthing center at the hospital, was almost 6 centimeters, and delivered my dd 1 hour and 45 minutes later. Contractions were tough, but much better than with the pitocin (and previous experience...my fear was much less). I had really bad back labor, but laboring in the tub, walking, standing and rocking, massages from dh and mw really helped. (Pouring water on my belly felt so good!). My dd eased her little head out, no tears, no stitches, just a really lovely birth. Pushing was a breeze with her. I think it took less than six pushes (really good ones).

I hope that helps.
huggerwocky's Avatar huggerwocky 11:19 PM 12-02-2006
pushing didn't hurt at all really in itself if you ask me....i had all the pain around the tailbone area...
gardenmommy's Avatar gardenmommy 12:05 AM 12-03-2006
For me, in all three of my births, the contractions have been completely manageable until transition and pushing. People have actually asked me if I'm in labor, because I can still handle talking and whatnot for a long time into my labors.

Transition and pushing are very hard for me. It's much easier if I can do it without anyone bothering. Pushing is really hard, not much of a relief for me. It's like that intense sensation of needing to vomit, but all the force is going down, not up. I never want to feel the baby's head; I can feel the baby moving through me, and that's enough. Pushing hurts more than contractions, IMO.

I've torn all three times, although not badly. I've had lidocaine for the stitching, which helps immensely. By about two or three days after the birth, the pain is usually pretty much gone. Witch hazel pads really help with the swelling and pain.
CTH3989's Avatar CTH3989 02:39 AM 12-03-2006
To me, the contractions were worse than the delivery. When I was pushing it didn't hurt at all. I just felt stretching. I was more concentrated on getting my son out than any pain or stretching feeling. It is amazing to feel your child come out of you. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as weird as that sounds. I would do it 1000 times over again.

Good luck with your next delivery! You can do it naturally! Your body was made for this. Find your quiet place, relax, and breathe through your pain.

Chelci
FreeThinkinMama's Avatar FreeThinkinMama 03:36 AM 12-03-2006
Thanks everyone for your encouragement!
starlein26's Avatar starlein26 03:44 AM 12-03-2006
Quote:
Yes. With dd, the stitch was done without anesthetic. And yowza, that hurt. It was fast though.

Quote:
You asked earlier if pushing was worse than ctx...yes and no. Yes, because I felt I was tearing in half...no, because they ctx felt like death. And as far not wanting to push...I got that with dd. I pushed her out very gently. With ds, pushing felt like a relief and I pushed really hard. I guess it depends on the type of labor you have..or maybe how you handle it. I wasn't in a good place with dd's labor so that might have had something to do with my harsh experience...or it was just a hard labor, who knows.

Quote:
Grin and bear it!

Being stuck at home...knowing going to the hospital wasn't really an option (the drive would have sucked, ds was with us with no one to watch him...) was how I got through it.
member234098's Avatar member234098 03:49 AM 12-03-2006
For my deliveries, pushing hurt because of the posterior/deflexed head presentations and the extra work and tiredness from the long labor. Pushing hurt also because, maybe, that is just me.

I has stitiches with only one delivery, my easiest delivery, and the stitches, all four of them, did not hurt because the midwife did them immediately after the birth when my perineum was still numb from the trauma of delivery. Later, the stitches did not bother me at all. They dissolved after 2-3 weeks, and I did not even know they were there.

Attitude is everything. You can do anything you put your mind to.
LoveChild421's Avatar LoveChild421 03:52 AM 12-03-2006
to me the actual crowning and birth weren't that painful...I didn't feel a ring of fire or anything. Of course I took it really slow. To me the thing that was most painful was the pressure and feeling like ds was going to emerge from the wrong hole! :
Mizelenius's Avatar Mizelenius 05:55 PM 12-04-2006
Quote:
Did pushing the baby out hurt a lot more than the contractions? Or were they about the same? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had a tear without meds
I tore both times, no meds either time during labor, but local while being stitched.

1st time-- I LOVED pushing. It was such a relief after intense an transition. It was work, but not painful-- not even the tearing. DD was born with her arm up (by her face, waving to the world).

2nd time-- Pushing did hurt, but in a different way than cx. I expected the pushing part to be smooth sailing like the 1st time, but it was painful . . .however, I think it was pretty fast. I found that making noise (for me, that was yellng) helped tremendously. The pain was secondary to the fact that I just wanted to get the baby out.

Take labor one step at a time, one cx at a time, one push at a time. Live in the moment, but know that it will have an end (labor won't go on forever!). Learn to look for those moments of peace and calm in between each cx, each push-- take that as your time to breathe and relax. Relish those moments, and then you will be able to handle it when your body is asking more from you.

Sending you peaceful labor vibes!

ETA: My techniques : My labors have been fast, IMO, but I really listened to my body and did what I needed. I took showers, I walked around-- I was almost always standing. Sitting and/or lying down did not work for me at all. At the intense parts, I would have DH time my cx-- that helped me a lot both times. I would tell him (or he'd see) that a cx was starting, and he'd give me a countdown of how many seconds were left/how far I'd gone for that cx. The MW put her hands on my lower back a few times during my 2nd labor (I was in the hallway, waiting for a room) and that helped, too. For me, staying home as long as possible was the best thing.
georgia's Avatar georgia 06:56 PM 12-04-2006
Quote:
To me the thing that was most painful was the pressure and feeling like ds was going to emerge from the wrong hole!

With my last two, home waterbirths, I found using a washcloth to apply pressure on this area was very helpful to lessen that I'm going to explode feeling
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 07:10 PM 12-04-2006
Crowning it what gets me.

Pushing is fine, just like a BM IMO.

But you must know I have fast births so I am sure that changes my experience of pain.
1  2

Up