For those who have gone natural - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might be a dumb question but I had an epi with my first(I was induced and although I had planned on going natural the pain became intolerable) so I have no idea. Did pushing the baby out hurt a lot more than the contractions? Or were they about the same? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had a tear without meds
#2 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:02 AM

With dd, contractions hurt more than pushing/crowning. I tore, but did not feel it until I started to recover.

With ds, pushing/crowing hurt more than contractions. I didn't feel the tear until afterwards. There was a slight sting a few minutes after I birthed the placenta.

DS's birth hurt a lot more than dd's because it was so quick and intense, but both were tolerable and the pain was never really bad for me until the end.

HTH,
#3 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:12 AM

My first birth was induced, and like you, I wasn't planning on the epi. but got it. I pushed for 3 hours, and my baby was delivered with forceps. My next baby was natural, and I pushed twice and she was born. I did tear where I had the episiotomy for the first birth, but didn't notice it at the time because I was focusing on getting the baby out. The tear just needed a stitch, but no big deal to me because I was holding/nursing my new baby. The same situation with my third baby- pushed twice, natural (home) birth, tore at the darn episiotomy site again. Still didn't notice as it was happening, and held/nursed baby again as it was being stitched.

To answer your question, pushing the baby out without meds was MUCH better. I hated the epi., even though it "worked" like it's supposed to. I LOVED my natural births because I got to move around. I definitely felt the pushing ctx., but it was so fast. Pushing for me did hurt more than labor ctx., but after my intense induced first labor, natural labor ctx. aren't a big deal to me. And I've had posterior babies with all 3 labors (just the way I carry them, I guess), and all my babies have been about 9 lbs. I hope you're able to go natural- SO MUCH nicer that way!

Carrie, mama to Jake (4), Lola (2), and Ike (3 months)
#4 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 AM

I had an epidural with my first as well. I was so nervous about the pain factor this time. I had an extremely painful labor due to some malpositioning of the baby. It was bearable though, I didn't feel tortured or anything. I was at home with my mw though or else I may have been tempted into getting an epidural at a few points. I was really tired on top of it all so it made it hard to cope towards the end. I did end up transferring and showed up at the hospital and pushed him out in under 30 minutes. The pushing actually felt good to me, when he was born I felt relieved because he was not in a cruddy position and causing me pain any longer. I did have a second degree tear. I had no idea that I tore until I saw the doctor grab some suture material. Overall it wasn't bad, there is a big difference though in how I felt immediately pp and how my baby acted pp. My first was so sleepy and lethargic and my second, the non medicated birth was so alert and aware.
#5 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpolzin View Post
With dd, contractions hurt more than pushing/crowning. I tore, but did not feel it until I started to recover.
That, except with ds Pushing didn't hurt, crowning hurt but not as much as contractions. However, I did feel more "out of control" during pushing.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#6 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Pushing the baby out was actually really a relief and felt great compared to the contractions!! It felt good to be able to push, or to feel the urge in my case as I wasnt told to push. Crowning felt a bit like major stretching for a few seconds but it was nice compared to the rest of labour.
#7 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Hmm I don't know how to answer this one. I had heard that pushing would feel like a relief, but it didn't. It wasn't more painful, per se, just a lot more intense. It really felt like nothing else. The urge to push felt a lot like the kind of intense pressure/nausea that comes with throwing up, actually. FTR I never did throw up during labor, either, so it's not that I was just confused, hehe.

I had a second degree tear. I couldn't tell you when it happened for sure but there was a moment as her head and first shoulder came through that really hurt. That was probably the tear. But, it only hurt for a few seconds and then...slip slither WOW! Baby! And I felt no pain. Seriously all the back pain from late pregnancy, all the contraction pain, all the pain from having another human being squished through part of my body...gone! It came back later and I was sore 2 days afterwards, but wow, the chemical rush plus knowing the baby is there and safe, that makes it go away for a while.
#8 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 AM

For me, contractions were painful. When my body finally started pushing itself, it felt like a relief. The pushing was making the pain of contractions go away. Crowning was the worst for me, but it was an instant pain, and then numbness. I think the stab of pain was caused by tearing. I tore upwards instead of through my perineum (I find out now that that was probably due to my horseback riding and having a 'tough' perineum) I had four stitches total. Crowning pain was pretty mild with my second, but since I had gone through it the first time, I knew to slow down and push gently and allow his head to stretch me slowly. I didn't tear at all that time. Just a skid mark which healed pretty fast.

Honestly, when you're birthing without medication, it's an odd experience. Your body just does it's thing and you're there for the ride. I went into a zone and I honestly don't remember much of either birth. Any pain I experienced paled the instant I saw my sons.
#9 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:47 AM

For me contractions were totally bearable although painful. Her crowning was very painful, to put it mildly. 2: I tore a tiny bit and got "skid marks" near my urethra. I could feel the tearing very acutely, but that was the least of my worries, it was more the stretching and the actual descent of her head down the birth canal at lightening speed.
#10 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:49 AM

I don't know how to describe it -- the pushing was WAY more intense than the regular contractions. I made noise like I didn't know was possible, completely unrestrained. I almost want to say more painful, but no, because there was relief. Contractions felt like a holding pattern; pushing was like coming in for a landing.

I tore pretty good (never learned the degree of tear, but it was right on the line of needing stitches... I declined) but I didn't really notice. It was like nothing after the intensity of pushing, just a little sting in a big swollen area.
#11 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

For those who had stitches, did having those put in hurt?

Also, if it was really painful during the pushing stage for you did it make you want to stop pushing to avoid the pain?

One more question (LOL I feel like I've never given birth before I have so many!) What were some of the techniques you used to get through the pain? I know about water, the birthing ball, changing positions, music, massage...any I'm missing?
#12 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I had a largely unmedicated hospital transfer from a planned home birth. I remember the hospital doctor telling me to “push past the burn” and I was thinking that there wasn’t any pain or burning from pushing. The contractions were worse for sure. I did tear and don’t remember it. I was given a local during the time that I was being stitched so I can't really say what that would have felt like. For me the worst part was being exhausted from vomiting and pushing for so long.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#13 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkinMama View Post

Also, if it was really painful during the pushing stage for you did it make you want to stop pushing to avoid the pain?

One more question (LOL I feel like I've never given birth before I have so many!) What were some of the techniques you used to get through the pain? I know about water, the birthing ball, changing positions, music, massage...any I'm missing?
The reason I declined stitches was because I couldn't handle anything else happening down there. They would have given me something to numb the area but even the idea of a quick shot was just too much to bear at that point.

Water was MARVELOUS for pain relief, once I was far enough to get in the water. Before that I found that after the first hour or so, I had to be standing up and kind of marching in place during contractions. Then I added moaning to the deep breathing I was doing. Moaning really helped me work through the pain. Then I added hanging from the top of the shower doors (the metal track thing they're on), not with my full weight, but just enough to feel like I was pulling on something. This was good for me, but scared my dh. He thought I'd pull the whole thing down.

ETA: For me, pushing was involuntary. It wasn't me doing the pushing, it was my body. I couldn't stop.
#14 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 AM

They numbed me up with lidocaine for the stitches. The first couple pokes for that stung, but the stitching itself was fine. Just pulled a little and stung just a tiny bit as the local wore off at the end. Nothing compared to contractions.

Maybe not "PC" to say, but screaming like I was dying really helped me get through the painful parts of labor.
#15 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 02:45 AM

I would say that pushing hurt *different* than contractions.

I did tear- in an odd manner. I refused stitching and am glad I did.

Coping? Being at home. I was in charge. I was in my own space. I was comfortable.

-Angela
#16 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 AM

I DID end up getting an epidural, but the crowning/pushing was still painful in my "bottom." I don't think anything can eliminate that. I had a 2nd degree, and the stitches were quite uncomfortable. I was sore for about a month and unable to be on my feet for long periods of time.
#17 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 03:38 AM

Honestly, I thought pushing was the most painful part of my labor. I had a cervical lip and I think that might have made it more painful, though. I had a few stitches, but they were no big deal. I was numbed with lidacaine, so they didn't hurt going in and they really didn't bother me at all. I think I was too in love with my son to even notice any pain or discomfort after his birth- they probably could've stitched me up with no meds and I truly don't think it would've bothered me much.

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#18 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
This might be a dumb question but I had an epi with my first(I was induced and although I had planned on going natural the pain became intolerable) so I have no idea. Did pushing the baby out hurt a lot more than the contractions? Or were they about the same? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had a tear without meds
What hurt really bad for me was the crowning. The contractions hurt, the back pain (ds face up) hurt, and I got sterile water injections to deal with what...which helped sooo much....focusing on the front pain only helped a lot. The sting from each of them hurt like crazy but man....they sure helped! Once ds's head was out it was somewhat less painful. I had a second-degree tear.....and the stitching of that hurt the worst out of all of that! I should say it was the lidocane shots that hurt the most...although I could feel the thread...kinda felt like a light rope burn.

Quote:

No I never wanted to stop pushing, I WANTED HIM OUT! Then again though, the pushing wasn't so bad for me.

I was in the water the whole time...never could get out..didn't want to. It did help, but not as much as I was hoping. my husband did a hip press which helped during contracting..stood behind me and pulled my hips back and towards each other. The sterile water injections, although nasty, helped soo much with the back pain...having front and back pain was just getting to be too much for me. I tried to change position but because of ds being face up it hurt too much to be in any position except my hands and knees.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#19 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 AM

Hmm...pushing did hurt more, physically, but it was much easier to handle, mentally, than contractions were. I guess at that point I was used to labor and just got down to business and my body had completely taken over. I had second degree tearing, but didn't feel it at all- I had no idea until the CNM told me.
#20 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I felt really numb down there from the birth itself. I probably wouldn't have felt the 2 numbing shots if I hadn't been watching what the ob was doing. The shots pinched a bit but it wasn't so bad, and I could feel him tying off the sutures. Then again my first was a c-section and all the stuff that I watched them do to me and all of the sensations I felt during the section seem much worse. I was on such a high after he was born that I really did feel much pain or discomfort.

Oh and my coping mechanism, at the worst times I said the f-word. A lot. I feel really bad about cussing so much, it was almost involuntary. To me its a powerful word and I was feeling pretty powerless at points. It just worked.
#21 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 AM

I had ds1 with an epi and ds2 natural in a tub. With ds1, I had a 1st degree episiotomy and with ds2 I tore 2nd degree at the site of my episiotomy. As for the pain with ds2, the strongest contractions before pushing were in the 6 to 8 range on a scale of 1 to 10. Pushing was like being constipated and getting a big one out - the burn wasn't any worse than constipation burn, and the effort to push was about the same as well. I did not feel the tear happen.

Now with both, the afterburn was the worse part. With ds1, they had already sewed me up when they took out the epidural. The soreness from giving birth, though, was the same with both. With ds2, it was by far the wost part. It's like I got through labor and delivery with a high pain tolerance apparently and then I lost all tolerance for pain. I felt every stitch even though the midwife used more numbing stuff than usual. Feeling being sewn up was no worse than feeling the needle go in after they numb you (the needle has the further numbing stuff...like at the dentist) but I felt it none-the-less. With ds1, I had hemmeroids right after the birth as well. IMO, the epidural is needed from 5 minutes to about 2 hours after birth or whenever the other drugs and pain relief stuff such as ice are able to be effective. So having an epidural doesn't necessarily spare you all the pain.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#22 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
For me, contractions were far worse than pushing, particularly transition contractions. Pushing was actually a little scary, I though, because you could feel this huge thing moving through your body, but it was also the point where my body really took over. I simply didn't have a choice over what position to be in or when to push and, in some ways, that was a relief. My labor was very fast, and my pushing contractions were right on top of each other (30 seconds to a minute apart)--but pushing felt productive, like I was nearing the end, and I felt I had a better understanding of what my body was doing during that point. I never felt the ring of fire that you hear about--crowning was strange, but not awful. I didn't have a perineal tear, but I did have a second-degree internal tear because my dd came out with her hand against her cheek. I didn't feel that happen at all.
#23 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 PM

I have always heard that you will prefer one to the other... pushing or contractions. I did not prefer pushing! I was content to leave her in there until she was 18!

I, in my hopped up on adrenaline, super-woman, powerful laboring goddess state of mind, pushed a few times and made the decision that I just wasn't going to do it. I had one push at the beginning of each contraction that I could not control, my body did it without me. That first push felt okay, but after that, the pain was so intense I couldn't make my mind tell my body to do it.

Fortunately, I only pushed for 20 minutes. The baby was having heart decellerations and my midwife looked me straight in the eye and told me to stop playing around and push her out NOW! My baby in danger was more powerful than the pain, and the harder I pushed, the better it felt. After her head was out, the pain decreased significantly.

My midwife cut a 1st degree episiotomy and I did not feel it. She even told me when she was cutting it. I had a couple of shots of lidocane when she stitched me, and I felt those. I also felt a lot of the stitching. A pp said it felt like rope burn. I think that's a very accurate description. The great thing about getting stitched, though, is by that time your little person is in your arms and you are totally high on that. It really lessens the pain sensations!

Good luck with your birth!

Check out Eden's entire birth story here!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#24 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM

I was induced with ds. I tried to get the epi but they kept putting me off because according to them "I was hardly contracting and still had hours to go" and finally when I told them I had to poop they listened to me, realized I was 9 cm, and got me the epi. Except it didn't work. Like not even a little. But they didn't believe me (notice a trend here?). So anyways the whole time they had kept upping the pit because I was "barely doing anything" when really it was just because their monitor wasn't working. So I went from no contractions at all to having my first baby in 4 hours. It was fast and intense and I had contractions that lasted 2 mins long with about 20 secs in between them. It was downright awful. BUT pushing was wonderous! It was the only time I didn't feel immense pain....it just felt so good to push and honestly my body didn't give me a choice about it anyways....even when I was tired I couldn't not push.

I had a 2nd degree tear which I did not feel during the birth. However it was the most horrible pain while I was getting stitched up. They assumed my epi was working even though I was screaming out that I could feel every suture the OB made and crying...they just kept telling me there was no way I could feel it.

Hmmm....is it any wonder I'm doing a homebirth this time around? lol

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#25 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:

For me getting the stitches hurt pretty bad because my OB didn't numb me up. Maybe he thought that since I'd gone med free the whole way I wouldn't mind or I know he needed to get out and do a c-section, but I was a little ticked. The next time I will make sure it is in my birth plan to get the meds. I have no desire to avoid meds just for the sake of doing so after the baby is born.

For me, when I first started pushing it was a relief to push against the contractions if that makes sense, but once he started crowning it hurt more than any of the contractions because it was a burning/stretching pain and all I could think about was to get the baby out ASAP!

I had back labor so the only thing that helped me was to have my hubby and doula push HARD on my lower back. My husband pretty much put his entire weight into my back and I was beggining him to do it harder. I couldn't handle the contractions being upright so I had to be leaning over something or on the bed in fetal position. But everyone's different.

Good luck!

Minta
mom to 2 and one on the way...
#26 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM

I had all the drugs with my first and none with my second. You experience LESS pain when you "go natural". Epis only prolong the pain and in some cases like mine, epis dont even take. My pushing was less painful and more effective without medication.
#27 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM

For me, pushing did not hurt. It was a relief. It was physical exertion, but not pain.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#28 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM

The contractions hurt way more than pushing, it felt great to push against the pain. When I tore with my first I actually felt relief, I saw it happen kinda weird. With my second I didn't even feel the tear or feel any better or worse.

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
#29 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM

I had a natural birth. I'll try to answer all your questions.

I had a 2nd degree tear, which I did not feel. Her shoulders tore me, her head got out just fine! Dh said the doctor looked really surprised when her shoulders were born and I was suddenly bleeding.

Being stitched up after the tear was awful. The injection was ok - you know, sure, I get one shot and then the stitches don't hurt. But almost every stitch hurt - not just that I could feel it, but as if I wasn't numb at all! I had a range - some stitches I could not feel, some I could feel but there was no pain . . . but most were very, very painful. It was too much after all I'd just been through in terms of pain and exhaustion. I was also given a second shot of the local but it didn't seem to help much. Next time, I want more pain relief for stitching. And I, too, had one of those stupid doctors who told me I wasn't feeling pain, just feeling the needle go through. Like I can't tell the difference!! :

Unfortunately, no one can tell you what pushing will feel like. I had the same very painful, extremely intense contractions for seven hours prior to and during pushing and never had an urge to push. The doctor called them "pushing contractions" based on the noise I was making. (I transferred very late to the hospital from home and was only there for the last 40 min or so of labor). I have read so many different things about pain in labor and pushing. Once I hit transition, the level of pain and pressure only continued and/or increased over the next seven hours or so until dd was born. But I have read plenty of birth experiences where women said they liked pushing, and that it felt better or was a relief to push. Even the doctor asked me afterwards if pushing felt "better." For me, it didn't! It felt just as bad as all the other contractions/pressure, if not worse. I was just relieved to be making progress, as pushing only took about 25 minutes.

Crowning was very uncomfortable, like very strong stinging, esp. at the top (I was afraid I was tearing upwards and no one was telling me, but I didn't tear upwards at all). I did not feel the "ring of fire" or any burning sensation. All in all, crowning was very uncomfortable and painful, sure, but I was so busy being in pain that I really didn't care about a little more pain at that point!

I hope you have a less painful experience than I did - many women do! Just be prepared for anything. And regardless, no matter how much (or little) pain there is, just remember that YOU CAN DO IT!

Julia
dd 8mos
#30 of 55 Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM

I liked pushing - a heckuva lot better than transition anyway, which is what I had to compare it to at the time, lol. Crowning had a stinging stretching burn to it. I felt pain at the top, and it made me back off, put my hands on the baby to support things, and let her crown more slowly. It certainly didn't stop things dead though, and I think this helped me in preventing any signifigant tears, really.

As for addititional comfort things you didn't mention, I liked heated rice socks, and big for me was breathing. Not like lamaze, just slow relaxation, yoga-type breaths. I think breathing from the stomach during contractions helped me not tense up as much and made things better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page