cord cutting and panic attacks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In many births the cord is immediately clamped and cut before the newborn has started breathing.

Could this intervention contribute to panic attacks that some children (and adults) experience later in life?

I thought this might be interesting to discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM

VERY interesting!

:
Old 12-19-2006, 12:55 AM

What would the specific connection be for that issue? I have had panic attacks before, but I don't think I know enough about exactly how they work to understand how they would be related to early cord cutting.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Interesting question!! I never thought about cord cutting! I've wondered to myself at times if panic attacks could be rooted in a traumatic birth. It may have not been traumatic on the "outside" but maybe only for the babe entering this world. I have suffered panic attacks for years and also suspect that in my case may be in response to CIO as a child. Anyone else have any thoughts, hypothesis?

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Interesting thought! Maybe the connection would be having an oxygen source cut off for a few seconds? I know I'm kinda sensitive to not having access to oxygen for even a little bit (I'll go under water in a pool, but have to take a few preparatory breaths and come up for air very often!) and hate having a blanket over my head (too stuffy, feels like there's no air)

So maybe having oxygen from the cord abruptly cut off and needing to breathe immediately is a little traumatic, but leaving the cord alone until it stops pulsing allows for a more gentle transition to breathing.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I once had a panic attack when I was 12. I was one of the top students. During a mechanical drawing lesson the teacher read out everyone's marks.

He said my name and my mark in front of everyone. 3 per cent.

I just felt totally humilated, embarrassed and ashamed.

Within seconds I couldn't breath and felt like I was gasping for her.

Others noticed and about 4 students carried me off to the sick bay. By the time we were there I was back to normal.

Its wasn't asthma. I felt like I couldn't breathe though I was actually breathing ok. It was just a memory. There were no palpitations.

I think 'panic attack' is sometimes used to describe palpitations or other reactions. In this case it was the feeling of not getting any air.

I had a friend who had a panic attack at 31. She felt like she couldn't breathe.

User Tag List