How to revoke your consent after signing pre-admission/consent forms. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I'm kid of up against a wall where I think I may end up having to sign some forms just to keep the peace so to speak. I just found out that I had to sign them, and do not agree with much of what I will be signing. Had I known about this sooner I may have responded differently but it's not something that comes up until the 36 week appointment apparently- AND BELIEVE ME I ASKED!

I know how to change the forms legally so that they work for me but that's not something I'm looking at right now because it's not crucial and may end up doing more harm than good IE being dropped as a client so late in the game which I'm NOT comfortable with. (I'm planning a UC but am having to sign some forms at the midwives that if I don't agree with I may lose my midwife backup over. It's likely I won't need that backup but I would like for it to be there even if it means I have to revoke consent at a later date just to keep that peace of mind for myself.)

I'm having the hardest time coming up with the wording to make a pre-made "I hereby revoke the consent given and then BLANK..." form that I can give should the situation arise and am wondering if others would share what they'd written when they revoked consent to permission/admission/consent forms. I'm wondering if I should specifically revoke each individual form with its titles and dates etc. in case of legal reasons or should I just do a "I hearby revoke all prior consent given." form and hand it over with my handy dandy consent-to-treatment birthplan.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! TIA!
#2 of 2 Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have copies of the documents?

If so I would create a new document revoking your consent. It would identify the papers you signed by stating the title and date you signed it (at least) and affirmatively stating that you revoke those documents in their entirety and do not agree to any of the terms of those documents. If you have copies, I would attach them and say as much in your document revoking the consent forms.

I would also affirmatively state in the document something to the effect that before performing any of the procedures/tests listed in the consent forms, you will be consulted and your consent newly obtained at the time of treatment.

Do you have a healthcare power of attorney for your partner/spouse? I would have one done if you don't. It's a form that varies from state to state, but it basically allows whomever you nominate to make medical/healthcare decisions for you if you become unable to make them yourself. It keeps the power in the hands of you and your partner/spouse. Otherwise, if you're unable to consent, they can just do whatever they want (whatever they deem is in your best interest).

I would sign it in the presence of a notary and have it notarized.

Then I would bring that with me if you have to transfer. They won't like it, but I would think that kind of affirmative revocation would be effective. Don't know for sure but I would expect that it would be. I would also make sure you and your husband each have multiple copies of the document, and perhaps multiple notarized originals, so that (a) the hospital won't somehow get all the only copy and "lose" it, and (b) you will have one for anyone who wants to see it. Bring the healthcare power of attorney with you also.

HTH

Julia
dd 9mos

P.S. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

ETA:
Quote:
if I should specifically revoke each individual form with its titles and dates etc. in case of legal reasons or should I just do a "I hearby revoke all prior consent given."
DEFINITELY specifically refer to EACH document. IME clarity is important.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page