How Soon Were You Up Walking After Birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an epidural, and walked to the bathroom about 2 hours after giving birth.

Honestly, after 54 hours of labour, during MOST of which I was walking (and not sleeping!!), I was MORE than happy to just rest for a bit! lol

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#62 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 AM

With each boy, I got up off the floor right after the placenta was born. And crawled into my bed. And snuggled up my baby and went to sleep.
#63 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 AM

I birthed in a birthing room with MWs but inside a hospital and I was up in 10 minutes and in the shower, MW held my hands so I would not fall or anything and dh and my mom held the baby

This time I am having a homebirth and I imagine I will be up and around right away again!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#64 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 AM

2 hospital births....a LONG time. had 2 c/s's. plugged into everything. really think it was teh next day.

natural birth in birth center..w/in an hour. had dinner w/ dh and midwives.
#65 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 AM

Hospital birth, stitching took two hours so I was up probably 2 1/2 hours after she was born and straight into the shower
#66 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 04:00 AM

I think it was around three days and then I was walking very cautiously. I had major complications after birth narrowly missing a blood transfusion. I was in the hospital a week. I could not stand up and change a diaper for probably three weeks to a month. I was so so happy my baby was content to sit with me as I couldn't even stand up and walk with her for more than a minute until arould 4 weeks old. Lets just say my recovery was very challenging. I am only starting to realize how hard when I see other friends who have had normal births.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#67 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 04:50 AM

I had a hosp. birth and was walking about 1-2 hours after.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#68 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Within half an hour, I suppose. However long it took them to wheel me back to my room, and as soon as they brought DS in I jumped out of bed so I could see him (preemie, being transferred to a different hospital across town, but they brought him to my room first so I could see him before they took him). My mom and her friend were amazed that I was walking around like that. No soreness afterwards, either. There's something to be said for tiny preemie heads

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#69 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM

My hospital birth was very painful, although vaginal. I had two episiotomies, hemmorhaging, stitches everywhere. It was about 18 hours before I tried to walk. It was very painful, and I needed a walker...I was only up and about for 15 minutes before I was exhausted. I used a wheelchair for most of my visit (many trips from my room to NICU).

My homebirth was incredibly different. Once she was born and I was stitched, I did go take a shower. I didn't exactly "hop" up and run into the tub...I had my sister holding my hand, I was shakey and did require help getting in and out of the tub. But, it was only an hour after birth and I was amazed at being able to do that, considering the circumstances of my first birth.

~Emily

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#70 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM

I was up after my natural hospital birth about an hour after dd was born. I was in labor for 40+ hours and wanted a shower badly. I wasn't skipping by any means, but I could get around just fine by myself (no IV, Cath, etc hooked up during labor, so maybe that helped).
#71 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM

I walked after about 4 hrs. I was so busy bonding with my baby it didn't occur to me to get up until a nurse came and asked me to try to go pee. Man, I was shocked at how terrible the pain was even just moving from the reclined position to sitting up with my feet on the floor- coming to a stand was almost unbearable. I left a blood trail all the way to the bathroom.
This was after a completely natural birth with no episiotomy and no trauma or problems. (other than I just so happened to be a bleeder) I had a small tear on the inside but nothing big.
I am suprised to read how many of you were walking comfortably within an hour or so. I don't understand why it hurt so terribly for me.
#72 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM

I was up after maybe 45 minutes, but needed help because the epidural hadn't completely worn off yet.
#73 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 06:43 PM

My first was a vaginal hospital birth and I was up about 45 minutes afterwards. My second was a c-section and I was up about 8 hours after.
#74 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM

With my last I got up about 15 minutes or so after the birth and walked to a different part of the house where I felt I'd be more comfortable. This was with the baby still attached to me. I settled in a recliner, then after another 10-15 minutes I got up for the placenta to come out, then settled back in the recliner again. I got up after that only to change the baby or use the bathroom. Food and comfort items were brought to me.
#75 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM

With my last I got up about 15 minutes or so after the birth and walked to a different part of the house where I felt I'd be more comfortable. This was with the baby still attached to me. I settled in a recliner, then after another 10-15 minutes I got up for the placenta to come out, then settled back in the recliner again. I got up after that only to change the baby or use the bathroom. Food and comfort items were brought to me. I was a little tender in the genital region, but had no trouble walking whatsoever.

My first was completely different. I was so roughed up by the crappy management of birth that I hobbled around the house for weeks. I had pulled muscles, everything hurt. It was awful.
#76 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Two hospital births, unmedicated, no monitors, IVs etc...

Both times I hung out with baby, nursed, etc for about an hour or so.

Then I was ravenous and demanded FOOD FOOD FOOD.

I don't actually remember any more what order it happened in - the other thing that happened about an hour after both births is that I had to PEE LIKE A RACEHORSE. I didn't exactly "hop up and run" but I got up and walked to the bathroom and dumped most of the extra water I'd been carrying in one huge go...

I think it was "gotta pee" and then "BRING ME FOOD!" in that order. I wasn't limited in how much I could eat, but after both births, I was suddenly just ravenous.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#77 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM

i nursed and ate for an hour and then pee'd. legally i had to wait 2 hours to go home and pee first. i birthed at a free standing birth center.
#78 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 PM

I had the baby in the bathroom, hooked it to the breast, dh and I kissed her all over and then kissed eath other. I got up and walked to our bedroom. I had a biiiiig contraction and dh dove under with the placenta bowl and out it slipped. My mother came into the room from her car at hthat point, and said "What can I do?" I handed her the bowl of placenta while dh wiped the splashes, and she helped us settle into bed, placenta still attached. She then went to warm some blankets in the dryer. : So OK, maybe it was 3 minutes (?) from baby delievery to walking?
#79 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
I think it was "gotta pee" and then "BRING ME FOOD!" in that order. I wasn't limited in how much I could eat, but after both births, I was suddenly just ravenous.
Hehe sounds like me, I gave birth at 8am and I after cuddling with the baby for a little while I was like "where's the coffee?"

My first was a c-section and I got up to pee about 24 hours and it was very painful and I almost passed out. With my second (unmedicated VBAC) I delivered the placenta, got stitched up, snuggled with the baby and then I had to pee, probably an hour after he was born, so I got out of bed with no help and went to the bathroom. I used the squirt bottle because I was sore down there but no problems as long as I was walking, sitting was another story...
#80 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 PM

I had a hospital birth WITH an epi and was up walking around no problems 45 min. later. I am absolutely positive I could've done it much sooner but we did the 1 hr immediately after birth of just me holding baby and BF'ing....but I HAD TO PEE soooo bad.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#81 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had two hospital births......one with an epidural, and one natural. With the epidural it took me a long time to get up, and I had massive post-birth pain. With my natural birth (but still in a hospital), I was up probably an hour afterward and I felt great.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#82 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 PM

hospital birth with a midwife - i was walking about half an hour after the birth, i think? i felt fantastic immediately after, and probably could have gotten right up, but was cudding in bed for a while.
#83 of 90 Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a hospital birth with my second, and was up and walking within 5 minutes, though just from toilet to bed because she was born on the toilet I don't recall it being to terribly painful, but I wouldn't say I "jumped up" or anything.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#84 of 90 Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 PM

Had a homebirth oct. 25th, 2006. Had baby in bathroom. Soon he came out walked into my bedroom for placenta deliver and sutures. Right after they sutured me (3rd degree tear) - took about 30 mins to suture(but that only because i hestitated a while before I let the midwife numb me - hate needles). I got right up and took a shower. The tear didn't feel bad, it was the sore butt, everytime I sit on my cushy couch for long time it took 5 mins to get up. But once I was up I felt good, and no pain done there.
#85 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 AM

birthed in hospital, and was up after about half an hour. i wanted to walk around but the kept trying to get me to lay down and even bullied me into a wheelchair to go to my postpartum room down the hall.
#86 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 AM

All 3 of mine were homebirths.
#1 - 3 days
#2 - 20 minutes
#3 - 10 minutes

It took me so long with #1 because my legs were so sore from squatting for over 2 hours pushing (3.5 hours pushing total).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#87 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 PM

With my first birth, I had a pretty difficult time, but really did not "get it" so I was up and walking around within the hour. Took a shower and passed right out! Ops...forgot about all that blood loss. After that I was "watched" pretty closely by hospital staff and dh.

Second birth was very quick and no trauma. I was up to wash up within the hour. And then slept. DD was born at 12:41 AM and I had labored most of the day prior...so we were all tired!
#88 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 PM

I had an unmedicated hospital birth w/ a small episiotomy. I was walking less than an hour after birth.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#89 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 02:04 PM

My first I had a double episiotomy and an epi... it took me around 5 or 6 hours before I had to pee so bad that I HAD to get out of bed. (Hospital birth.) The second time was a birthing center birth with a midwife, I pushed Isaac out- latched him on, and as soon as he was done nursing I got up and went to the bathroom and got into the shower. My placenta passed while I was nursing. So.. probably within 20 minutes.
#90 of 90 Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM

W/in an hour with all 3 HB's. It was waiting for the placenta and then BF'ing baby...and then it was toilet and bath for me...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page