I have to ask - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 1st ds died because I chose OB care and because he was born in the hospital (and because of my own ignorance). My 2nd ds and my dd were born safe and healthy at home with a midwife.

Sometimes doctors and hospitals cause problems.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM

I definitely think that having a midwife is better than having an OB, in general.

Obviously, natural labour and birth are the best for the baby.

For me, a birthing centre, near a hospital, would be ideal. But, if my home was as close to the hospital as a birthing centre, then my home would be the obvious choice!

For me, the deciding factor is distance to the hospital. Like the OP, I would never forgive myself if my baby died because we needed to get to the hospital, and didn't get there in time. But, I don't feel the need to go to the hospital unless necessary.

It takes time to prep for even an emergency c-section. So, if I'm close enough that I can get from wherever I am labouring to the hospital by the time the room is ready, I figure that's the best I can do.

If my only option is going to the hospital, then that's fine. I wouldn't go until I was far along in labour, however. Just no need to be there early on!

My son's birth was induced, so I was in the hospital from the get-go. Interestingly, my DOULA was the one pressuring me!! My dr. suggested induction, but I felt TOTALLY comfortable saying no, if I hadn't wanted it! It was my DOULA whom I had trouble saying no to, since she wanted me not to have the induction. I also felt awkward telling her I wanted an epidural, but would have been FINE with telling my OB not to break my water!!

I think that the majority of women who go to the hospital are NOT well educated on birth, which is why there are more interventions, hence more risks.

However, if someone IS educated about the birth process, and does NOT have interventions, then I don't see how hospital birth is more risky than a home birth. Nobody is going to tie you down in the hospital, and MAKE you have IV's, oxytocin, epidural, etc. Doing something "AMA" isn't a sin....doctors aren't Gods!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#33 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifescholar View Post
if someone IS educated about the birth process, and does NOT have interventions, then I don't see how hospital birth is more risky than a home birth. Nobody is going to tie you down in the hospital, and MAKE you have IV's, oxytocin, epidural, etc.
I believe that in my case, hospital birth would have been more risky than homebirth was. Hospitals have rules and if the birth is not going according to their standards, eventually they do intervene. I pushed for almost 5 hours, most of that time with no progress, but my baby was fine the whole time and I eventually pushed him out. I believe that I wouldn't have been allowed to push that long in the hospital. A friend of mine had a similar birth in a hospital, and after 2 hours of pushing, they told her that 2 hours was as long as she was allowed to push, so she was getting a c-section.
#34 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM

There are also hospital acquired infections, and that some people's (like me) bodies would tense up and not be able to labour naturally.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#35 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
However, if someone IS educated about the birth process, and does NOT have interventions, then I don't see how hospital birth is more risky than a home birth. Nobody is going to tie you down in the hospital, and MAKE you have IV's, oxytocin, epidural, etc. Doing something "AMA" isn't a sin....doctors aren't Gods!
What about women who say no to an episiotomy and are cut, anyway (no consent - not even a warning)? What about the famous court-ordered c-sections? (I don't think this is happening, anymore.)

With my first section, nobody tied me down - but they did kick my ex out on false pretenses, then ambush me with "you need a c-section"...then proceed to ignore my "no", while six people prepped me for surgery. Sure - in theory I could have, and should have, done whatever it took, including getting up and walking away...but that's not quite as straightforward as it might sound. My ex couldn't deal with the medical staff, as he walked back into the room to find a near-hysterical wife, a scene of bustling medpros and was basically told "your wife has to have surgery now or your baby will die".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#36 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:

It is riskier. There is a lot of pressure to follow hospital "rules" which are often presented as law. As mentioned, women are cut without consent every day. It happens. Add to that the increased chance of injury or death due to dr. or nurse error. Tack on the cess-pool of germs that live there.

Hospital birth IS riskier for most births.

-Angela
#37 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Once I read all the research (Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is a good start for that) I realized that statistically there was a much worse chance that the doctors would *cause* a problem than that something would happen at home (and that most of those kinds of things are just as likely to happen at the hospital and wouldnt have any better remedy there than what a competent midwife could handle, either). In the end I was much more afraid of the hospital and their policies than anything random that was very much unlikely.

That said, you need to birth where you feel safe, and if that's the hospital then go there. Its better that you recognize what you need (and maybe get a doula to help you out) than to push yourself to homebirth in fear.
#38 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM

Great question. Thanks for having the courage to ask it here, because I imagine it could have felt a little intimidating with all these homebirth supporters and being afraid you'd get flamed!!!

I have had two hospital births and two homebirths. I had the two hospital births solely because of my husband's fear. I cannot tell you how much guilt I have for not following my instincts with the first two. I truly feel like I put them in danger by having them in a hospital. Now, don't get me wrong. I think every woman needs to give birth where she feels most comfortable and for some women that is a hospital - BUT - I was not one of those women. Plus, there are some women who cannot for various physical reasons need to birth in a hospital. For me though, it was safer for me to give birth at home. Interestingly, both my girls had meconium staining and both my boys needed oxygen after they were born. So, I have a unique perspective on hospital vs. homebirth. My first daughter was very traumatized (and quite frankly so was I ) by her birth and the was she was treated afterwards. The nurses worked on her the way they believed was right, but they were rough and they scared her and they traumatized her. My second daughter was treated gently and respectfully. She was never traumatized. Her birth and first minutes in the world were peaceful. Also, the nurses at the hospital DID NOT GET ALL HER MECONIUM AND SHE CHOKED ON IT LATER THAT EVENING AND WAS FREAKED OUT AGAIN. Nothing like that happened with the midwives at home. My first son's entrance into the world wasn't nearly to traumatic, but we dodged a bullet. He got stuck coming out. I am so thankful every time I look at him that I had an unmedicated birth so that I was able to move around the way I needed to to get him out. I am also thankful (and feel just darn lucky) that they midwife we had there wasn't incredibly medical minded because she did what she needed to to get him out without interventions.
We could have EASILY ended up with interventions or even a C-section. I have lots of guilt about it because of what could have happened simply because of the environment that we chose. I did not feel safe when I birthed in the hospital, but I felt very safe when I birthed at home. I did my research and I knew that the statistics were so much better for homebirths, and there's a good reason why. Hospitals create stress and interventions are common in hospitals. At home, women are allowed to trust their bodies, listen to their bodies, and do what needs to be done in a peaceful, gentle way.

Wow, that turned out a lot longer than I had planned!
#39 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM

First,

Quote:
where do so many people come up with the courage to homebirth???
Now the real question is, where do people come up with the courage to birth in the hospital?

Research published in the summer of 2005 showed that for low-risk pregnancies and healthy moms, mortality for homebirths and hospital births is the same, and morbitidy (i.e. injury(ies)) to mom and baby are HIGHER in the hospital. (this is from that study posted in the third reply to your post, I think)

So basically, if you're low-risk, you and/or your baby just as likely to die in the hospital, AND you and your baby are more likely to be injured in a hospital birth.

Also, if you believe that birth is more than just "mom and baby survived, so it's a good outcome" then homebirth may be something you want to consider. Women are often disrespected in the hospital and subjected to unnecessary interventions such as pitocin augmentation, AROM (doctor breaking the bag of water), and epidurals that ultimately may result in a worse birth experience and cause some of that "morbidity" we're talking about above - like unnecessary c/s, vaccuum, forceps, episiotomy, etc.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything the pps haven't said already, but the truth is that homebirth IS safe. Many women who are educated about birth realize that some risks may be higher in the hospital.

Also, if your really look into the kinds of birth complications that may occur in a low-risk pregnancy, very rarely would you find a better outcome at a hospital (and clearly, if this is true, then based on the numbers, just as many times you may end up with a worse outcome at the hospital for something that could have been handled better in a homebirth). Think about that emergency c/s, for one. Every woman has to be prepped, an anesthesiologist called, surgeons, nurses, and the OR prepped . . . even with an emergency c/s, it usually takes 20-30 min before mom is on the table. If you're doing a homebirth, your midwife or doctor will call the hospital as soon as the need for c/s is apparent and as long as you live within a reasonable distance of a hospital, by the time you arrive it simply means the surgeon, staff, and OR are ready for you and there probably will be very little difference, if any, in how many minutes elapse before the c/s begins regardless of whether you were at home or at the hospital when the need for c/s became apparent.

Also, midwives and homebirth doctor's don't just bring skill and expertise to the home. They also bring basic medical equipment - essentially everything but the OR. They can provide an IV, pitocin (for hemorrhage), oxygen for a baby in trouble, vaccuum or forceps if necessary, etc. They generally arrive with medical equipment standard to a labor and delivery room.

The only reason the decision to homebirth is "courageous" is because most people don't realize homebirth is just as safe or safer, and therefore anyone who makes that choice is going against the norm. But for women who have spent time to become educated about birth, the choice to homebirth is usually an obvious one.

There's an emotional element to it, too. If after doing the "facts and statistics" research as well as the "anectodal" research you still feel that you would be uncomfortable or afraid doing a homebirth, then don't do one! The most important thing is to have a healthcare provider who shares your philosophy and desires for your birth and will be supportive, and that you birth in an environment where YOU feel most comfortable. For many women, that turns out to be home.

HTH!

Julia
dd almost 10 mos
#40 of 58 Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieslilpie View Post
where do so many people come up with the courage to homebirth???
If/when I have a third child, I plan to give birth at home. DH and I have made this decision because after two hospital births - one that wasn't so great and one that was probably close to the ideal hospital birth - we both strongly feel that normal healthy birth does not belong in a hospital. Reese's birth was a fabulous hospital birth by most people's standards...but it was still a hospital birth, it was still medicalized, and it should not have been. I don't want that experience again. I want to give birth the way I believe birth was intended to happen.

I have two friends who have had homebirths in my town, both with the same midwife. A third friend is having a hospital VBAC very soon with the same midwife. Knowing them has made homebirth seem much more real to me.

I still have what-if thoughts. Every now and then I see a birth story here in which a homebirth turned tragic. Those stories make me worry. But you know, there is far far far greater risk to my baby in the hospital than there is at home. I remind myself of that. I'm a healthy woman who has given birth to two healthy children and my next baby is overwhelmingly likely to be healthy.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#41 of 58 Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 AM

I think the safety of a hospital birth also depends on where you live....

For example, all the ABS stories are filmed in the USA, and MOST of those labours involve Mom lying in bed, with IV and oxytocin, an epidural, and pushing in a supine position. It's rare to see someone doing so much as walking or sitting on a birthing ball during labour!

By contrast, "Birth Stories" is filmed in Toronto. In those episodes, it's RARE to see someone lying in bed while in labour! They are usually moving around, on the birthing ball, walking, in a tub, etc. There are also quite a few home births, and I would guess that the majority have been with midwives....

In my playgroups, and my local online forum, we talk a lot about our births! I have not talked to one SINGLE mother who felt unhappy about her birth! Even the moms who had c-sections, knew for certain that their surgery was necessary. I know many would argue that breech presentation isn't an indication for a c-section, but for a lot of people, it's the best option.

I am one of VERY few moms I have met who were induced. I dealt with 4 OB's during my labour, and every one of them respected my wishes, and they waited a LONG time, to avoid a c-section. Ultimately, we (and I say "we", because I feel like it was a TEAM effort) avoided a c-section, even when I was still 3 cm after more than 50 hours of labour. I have NEVER seen a labour go that long and still end in vaginal birth on an American show....

I certainly don't think that a hospital is the IDEAL place to have a baby, especially because of the risk of nosocomial infections, but I don't think women should have to be afraid of the hospital, either! I think you have to KNOW your HCP first, and feel comfortable with them! If you have a midwife, which I personally think everyone SHOULD, then really, the risks shouldn't be any higher.

I do understand about stress, though....I'm not at all stressed out by hospitals, and because it was my first baby, and he was post dates, I would have been MUCH more stressed at home. In the future, I will know what I'm doing, so I think my stress level would be exactly the same at home or at the hospital.

I really think it's sad, and WRONG, that women have to fear hospitals...they should be a SAFE and inviting place!! I hope that as a L&D nurse, I can help my patients have a wonderful, enjoyable, and NATURAL birth as much as possible. To me, THAT is the job of any HCP who works in L&D!

#42 of 58 Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 AM

When we first researched the homebirth option I was pregnant with DD1. I never entertained the idea for more than a few seconds because A) we lived in military housing and I was sure that it must be against housing regulation. Although, in retrospect, what were they going to do? and B) I naively thought I could fight the system. I bought into the warm fuzzy feelings my OB sent my way and later felt ambushed when his warm fuzzy personality became brisk and authoritative. I was literally LIED to in order for me to accept an induction.

But we won't go there.

I understand the mentality of "how could I live with myself if I chose a homebirth and something went wrong?" What I don't understand is why mothers aren't asking themselves "how could I live with myself if I chose a hospital birth and something went wrong?"

For a long time I blamed my doctors and the hospital for my heavily managed and medicated hospital vaginal delivery. (Complete with induction, narcotics, epi, episiotome, pubic shaving & cathater.) It's taken me a while to come around full circle and admit my own culpability. *I* have as much responsibility in my hospital birth as I have in my homebirth. In each situation it is ME who is in charge of protecting my child and my child's birth. The decision I make impacts my birth experience.

When you check in at the hospital you don't get to check out your own responsibility. Like a PP said. Birth is risky.
#43 of 58 Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
IMO you are seriously kidding yourself if you really believe that. I think this is a MAJOR problem with hospital birth (that people think that they are somehow above the risks if they inform themselves, hire a doula, vow to stand up for themselves, refuse intervention, etc). But that just isn't the case. Sure, it might lower your risks a tad but how much? I don't believe by much at all. I did everything perfectly with my last hospital birth. I educated myself as much as humanly possible (researched chidlbirth daily). I changed HCPs THREE times including in my third trimester because once again the care provider showed their true colors. I still ended up having to go AMA because I refused a COMPLETELY unnecessary induction (with cytotec no less). Got the dead baby scare and when I tried to refute their claims I got medical books with graphs in my face showing me that if I didn't get induced my baby was as likely to die as a baby born at 21 weeks (complete BS btw). Still I stood up for myself and signed the paper saying I had been informed but refused the induction. Went into labor on my own, labored at home having strong contractions 3-5 minutes apart for over 48 hours before FINALLY going to the hospital with my doula. Arrived at 6cm. OB on call happens to be the one I like, the one who said she would never pressure me to be induced and the only female OB. I had no problems with the staff when I declined the iv, they never even tried to get me to do a heplock. They let me decline the constant fetal monitoring. I stayed out of the bed. I was never once offered drugs/epidural. The staff left me alone. I refused AROM. Pushed on my own without coaching and not on my back. I squatted and then turned over onto my knees. I'm doing everything right...it is all good right? I've lowered my risks, right? It all boils down to hospital protocol and the way things are done in the hospital. Hopsitals aren't there to let women handle their own births. They are there to medically manage birth, no matter how much the "let" you do on your own. Then, my water breaks as I am pushing and there is meconium. Automatically means my pushing is going to be interrupted. Find even ONE hospital on this planet who won't interrupt pushing if there is mec. I doubt you can. And then what is this? Ah, a double nuchal cord. Oh, it is too tight...it has to be cut or the baby won't come out. What are you going to say at that moment? Then baby's life support is gone and he isn't breathing. He needs resuscitation, he is intubated. He starts life fighting and is surrounded by doctors instead of his own mother. His first apgar is a 4. More harm is done to him later on that day but I'll end this book for now.

Yeah, you better believe I am kicking myself for not having a homebirth. Don't be fooled like I was.
#44 of 58 Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 AM

Years ago, before we even started ttc, I decided I wanted a homebirth and even contacted a mw via email. My dh said no because he believed it was too risky. It took us over 4 years to get pregnant. I gave birth to my dd in a birth center because I thought it would be a good compromise. It was 45 minutes away from home and across the street from a hospital with a level 3 nicu. Next time, since I have had the experience and regained my self-confidence, I will give birth at home. I say re-gained because infertility made me believe my body was a complete failure when it came to pregnancy; when I was young and "naive," before the torturous years of IF, I had researched homebirth and decided it was the right way to go. My dh is on board with homebirth now that he has seen me labor and birth. Hopefully someday in the FAR future there will be another pregnancy for me.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#45 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 AM

Erin, first of all, my sympathies for your difficult and stressful birth, both for you and your ds!

But, I have to wonder....what would have been done differently at a homebirth?? They wouldn't have interrupted pushing, right? (FWIW, there was a LOT of meconium during my son's birth, as well....the first sign was probably about 12 hours before he was born, so it didn't appear during pushing, but my pushing stage wasn't interrupted at all...they just quickly suctioned him as soon as his head was out...his body came out with the next contraction).

But, if the cord was too tight, what would a midwife have done at home? I really don't know, so I'm curious....is there a way for them to get the baby out without cutting the cord prematurely??

Also, I believe I said before that I think it is MUCH better to have a midwife....I really think that part of the reason why hospital births are less safe than homebirths is because OB's attend most hospital births, and midwives attend homebirths!! I would never, ever have an OB if I had the option of a midwife!

Given the choice between an OB in a hospital, and a midwife at home, I would certainly choose the midwife @ home!

#46 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
By contrast, "Birth Stories" is filmed in Toronto. In those episodes, it's RARE to see someone lying in bed while in labour! They are usually moving around, on the birthing ball, walking, in a tub, etc. There are also quite a few home births, and I would guess that the majority have been with midwives....
I'm curious, I don't think I have ever seen this show. Is it on in the US?

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#47 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Well, we haven't had a homebirth yet, but I'm planning one for baby #2. Before I had DS, I thought the same way you do. I knew a few people planning homebirths and I thought they were just so brave. Even though my mom had a homebirth for her last baby and absolutely raves abou how awesome it was, I still was freaked out about the idea, especially for a first baby, when you don't know what to expect or how you'll handle the pain, ect.

But then I had DS. And I won't go into details. But I walked out of the hospital with the intention of NEVER giving birth in a hospital again. I ended up with an uncomplicated vaginal birth, but there were just so many things that I wished didn't happen. And they don't treat you nice. And you are uncomfortable. And you get lots of pressure to do things you don't want to do. And they try to slip things in your IV without telling you. And I had to keep on the nurses making sure they knew damn well that DS wasn't to be circ'ed. And every time they brought him back to me, I checked his diaper with a knot in my stomach, expecting there to be a bloody stump. Even after I told everyone no circ, one nurse still expected him to be circ'ed and said we couldn't be discharged untl he was. WTF?

Overall, it was an awful experience. So that's how I get my courage. If something goes wrong, we'll be 10 minutes from the hopsital. I'm really not concerned in that respect.
#48 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 PM

I think we are yet to understand the full implications of being outside one's own environment and how they relate to mothers in labour.

Most women that I have known have ended up with a "stuck" baby in the hospital and therefore a c-section. None of these women have had drugs, inductions, or monitoring.

I think we have to ask ourselves why so many women end up with stalled labour that then "requires" an intervention like pitocin after being in the hospital to birth.

I would never have the courage to birth in a hospital. My local one has a 50% section rate. Either way you slice it (no pun intended!) if you walk through those doors you are becoming part of that statistic.
#49 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 PM

It's true, the climate in Canada is SO TOTALLY different when it comes to birthing. The stories I've heard from women in the U.S. makes me shudder.

For example, for my next birth I asked what the PROTOCOL was for VBACs at the hospital I am delivering at, so that I could know what I was going to have to deny vehemently (LOL!) and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that all they require is a hep lock (which I would have wanted anyway) and intermittent monitoring (which I would have wanted anyway). Almost all other medical procedures are entirely optional.

I do believe there are more options for homebirth in the U.S. though (well, some states anyway - the ones that allow homebirth). When I called the midwives in my area, none of them would even touch a VBAC homebirth and they weren't allowed to do VBACs in the hospital that they have rights to work at. It's a bummer, but I found an awesome OB who is totally on the same page as me, so yay!
#50 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 PM

The HBAC things depends on the midwives. Where I live in Ontario, midwives do attend vbacs at home. My midwife had a hbac in fact.

Anyways, I don't agree that things are so much better in Canada. The C/S rate is still ridiculously high, and some hospitals have ridiculous policies. Hospitals in two cities I know have very restrictive policies re: midwives- it is an automatic transfer of care if oxytocin is used, if the woman has an epidural, etc, but it is not a tranfer of care in other cities.

ETA: I know close to a dozen women who have had unnecessary c/s and when I was pregnant with my furst, the ob/gyn ass'n approving elective c/s.

#51 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM

I don't have a source that changed my mind, but after my first birth which was a homebirth, I was having thoughts that it couldn't possibly go as perfectly the second time around, that I wouldn't be so "lucky"; reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth really helped me find my courage again. And my second birth was really quick and easy (although painful). And my third was a piece of cake, quite an enjoyable morning actually!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#52 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I'm near Ottawa (Carleton Place to be exact) and the midwives here won't do VBACs. I know it's not like that everywhere in Ontario though... I just got unlucky If I drove and we had a second car, I'd consider going out of town, but alas...
#53 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 PM

Yeah, I hate how it varies so wildly from place to place within the province.

#54 of 58 Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 PM

I'm in Canada. When I contacted the licensed midwives about a VBA2C, they said they take VBACs, but not with multiple cesareans.

My "option" for a VBAC was a "trial" of labour, with an IV and constant monitoring or a scheduled repeat cesarean. I was going to VBAC, allowed myself to be bullied into a repeat cesarean when dd turned breech at 39 weeks...and was not told that they wouldn't "allow" a VBAC attempt after multiple cesareans. I was then bullied into section number three after fighting for over 41 weeks.

Canada ain't so hot, either.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#55 of 58 Old 01-13-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieslilpie View Post
I have read nearly every post, and I have to ask, where do so many people come up with the courage to homebirth??? ...

I guess I am just wondering if anyone out there has a source that changed your way of thinking or an experience or anything.
I haven't had my homebirth yet but am planning one. For me the catalyst was my csection. I didn't want to go through such an emotionally painful experience ever again, so I began to research. It is what I should have done when I was pregnant with my first child, but didn't because I thought I had it all figured out. I realize now I was being naive-I had this belief that just because I wanted a natural unmedicated labor, I was going to get it. There have been many wonderful resources; I really love Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" (I think that's the title); Ina May's Gude to Childbirth", "Birthing from Within", "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#56 of 58 Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, Thank you to all of you for your responses! I am amazed at how strongly some of you reacted to my question, but your (clearly) well researched and articulated responses made me seriously think about looking more closely into my options and I have scheduled a consultation with a midwife to find out more. Thank you to all of you!!! At least now, whatever path I take will have been thoroughly researched and thought through rather than taken out of fear of the unknown.
#57 of 58 Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 AM

OP, I'm going to echo what these other women have said.

A couple days before my dd was born I was more scared of going to the hospital than I was of giving birth or having any complications. Thankfully I had a unmedicated birth, but the birth goddess must have smiled on me that day.

For our second pregnancy we took no chances and hired a homebirth midwife. We interviewed four before we found the one that we liked. Sadly, our second pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I hemmoraged during my m/c and had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance. I ended up with an emergency d&c and a blood transfusion. It was really scary and a true emergency. Once I got out of post-op and into my room I did not receive stellar treatment. I wanted to go home and got no rest whatsoever. There are some great nurses in this world. Some of them were at my dd's birth, but they were not present after my m/c. Hospital policy was idiotic too. They got my iv in my arm in less than ten seconds and refused to take the darn thing out until the doctor got there the next day at noon.

I still want a home birth. We're planning a third pregnancy now. Hospitals are great places to go if there's a true emergency, but once the emergency is over they're miserable places to be. I'm not going there if its not an emergency.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#58 of 58 Old 01-13-2007, 09:32 PM

My DH and I think the people who go to the hospital to have their babies are the people who are courageous! Said after 3 HB's!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page