Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
8 minutes- 5 contrax/pushes
Hoping for the same this time!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#62 of 84 Old 02-09-2007, 11:52 PM

10 minutes or less for all my births. I think for many women the prolonged pushing is because they've been directed to push before they are ready. Like trying to poop before it's ready to come out - It'll happen eventually but it will take a while.

Of course there are also women who push for a very long time in undirected attended births or UC births and I think that can be normal too. Sometimes a long period of pushing is what it's going to take to get a baby into the world.

I think prolonged pushing is a problem is when a. it's initiated by someone other than the birthing woman or b. it is initiated by the birthing woman because she feels fearful or like she "needs" to push based on erroneous societal messages.

Otherwise every birth is different and "normal" is really a wide spectrum of different.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#63 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With my first, I pushed for 5 minutes; I was in a reclined position on my back. I labored down for 45 minutes before pushing, which is why I didn't have to push very long at all. She was 9 lbs.

I actively pushed for under a minute with my second. She was crowning as they were still prepping. I didn't really have a strong urge, just pressure. There wasn't much effort on my part. Two small pushes for her head and two more for her body. I was in a semi-reclined position, slightly on my left side. She was 8 lbs 9 oz.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  
#64 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 AM

With my first, second and third (set of twins), I pushed for 20 minutes each. My fourth and fifth (set of twins again) were by c-section. My sixth baby came out in 7minutes, but it felt a lot longer. She was born in the caul and it felt like I pushed her head out TWICE:

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#65 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 02:04 AM

40 min... and all worth it... I was so scared tho...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#66 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 AM

1 hour, 40 min.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#67 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 AM

#1-posterior, epidural, flat on back, 9lbs 10oz-1hr 26min episiotomy(2nd degree)

#2-anterior, epidural, sitting up, 8lbs 10oz-the amount of time it takes to say FINALLY after you've been waiting half an hour for your doctor to get from the store to your hospital room. about 1 push and 1/10 of a push.

DS1 was not fat (big bones) and DS2 was FAT!!! It is a lot easier to push out a baby who is fat. a LOT easier.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#68 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 04:49 AM

I pushed for nearly an hour.
I think something like 2 hours is average?
#69 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 AM

#1 3 hours, then c-section (turned out he was brow presentation)

#2 10 minutes? maybe less.
#70 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 AM

I pushed for twenty minutes and was a little shocked at quick that phase of labor was for me. I had assumed it would be longer.
#71 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
20 minutes or less, I think. I had lost all concept of time by then. It was less than 5 contractions for sure though.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#72 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 PM

1 1/2 hours...standing up and on hands and knees. This was after 38 hours of labor.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#73 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Two hours. A couple of things finally made me get her out:

1) My midwife threatened to transfer me to the hospital to get pitocin. I later learned that this was a somewhat calculated move on her part, as she knew that I would not go willingly.

2) I think I had been holding back because of a deep conviction that it would be impossible to squeeze my baby out without ripping myself in half. I already felt stretched to the absolute max, but her head was only barely showing. It seemed like the physics of the situation just wouldn't allow her out while leaving me intact. But I wasn't going to go through all I had to in order to get my home birth and then end up transferring and getting an episiotomy or something. So I just decided to push her out no matter what. And I did, with only a very small tear.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#74 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM

20 minutes with 1st after about 8 hours of labour. he was 8lbs 5oz (I'm 5'0" and nonpreg weight is 125)

I had 75 minutes of labour with dd and then had to puff off pushes as they prepped the OR because of an unqualified-to-catch-my-breech-baby OB. I'd've had her out in 3 pushes. (easy for me to say that now of course! LOL)

if there's a next time I think we have to be ready to UC.

xo Robin
#75 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 10:15 PM

With my first I pushed for 2 hours & 10 mins .. mainly, in my opinion, because they just told me to push when they thought I was ready .. I didn't get an "urge".

Second I pushed for around 13 mins. I wasn't trying to push either (because the midwife wasn't there yet!) .. my body just did it.
#76 of 84 Old 02-10-2007, 10:23 PM

With my son, about 10 minutes after I was fully dilated. I was also trying, with limited success, not to push for about 15 minutes before that, because my body really wanted to push, but I was only 7cm dilated, and they told me that if I pushed it could cause the cervix to swell and make the delivery more difficult.

So I started to feel like pushing about 25-30 minutes before my son was born, but didn't push seriously until the last 10 minutes or so.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#77 of 84 Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 AM

1 hour 30 minutes

But, I didn't figure out exactly what to do (had an epidural) until the very end. Then, it was only 3 contractions before he was out!

He was 8 lbs. 11 oz., 22", and HC was 14.5"

I didn't tear, thank goodness!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#78 of 84 Old 02-11-2007, 01:30 AM

First baby - pushed for three hours, had to take a break because of worsening stats (mine & baby's), then pushed again for 30 min before breaking for an emergent c-section.

Second baby - MWs used passive descent, letting me rest while fully dialated. After about 2 1/2 hrs, I felt the urge to push, and forty min later, DS2 was born.

A study showed recently that for fully dialated moms, allowing the baby to descend on his own had no higher risk of bad outcomes than pushing the baby down the birth canal. Given that babies who go through passive descent are more rested, some studies have shown that there is a lower risk of emergency c-section and other complications with PD babes.
#79 of 84 Old 02-11-2007, 06:32 PM

I have had 3 very easy very quick births, with my first ds I was in labor for 6 hours and pushed 5 times, my second ds I was in labor for 4 and pushed 3 times and my third I was in labor 3 hours and pushed twice. Thank goodness for good "birthing hips"

Atara wife to Joseph mom to Kaleb and Jacob : Caeden Ashlyn : and our angel baby ,:,
#80 of 84 Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM

1st baby 2 pushes, 2nd- 4th 1 push each but they were overall precipitous labors too. I think I have a total of less than 4 hours recognizeable labor for 4 babies. last time when I hit I transition I said something like I can't do this all afternoon, dh said I don't think you have to worry about that, I pushed, and there was a baby. For me, it is so much to take in so suddenly. You would think pregnancy would prepare me.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#81 of 84 Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM

1st baby was a C/S.
2nd baby, VBAC, an average length labor but a long 11 hour transition and pushed for ten minutes. Once that cervix got the heck out of the way, she was otta there!
#82 of 84 Old 02-12-2007, 05:08 PM

Labored for over 30 hours, but only pushed for 20 minutes. Actually, that's not exactly true. I tried pushing a few times lying on the bed (I gave birth naturally in a hospital-based birth center). My doula said my pushes weren't effective, so she got me on the birth stool, but I hated it and refused to push there. Then she set me up on my knees, leaning over a birth ball. Voila! Only 20 minutes of pushing from that point. I don't know why we fooled around with the other positions ... I told her during my pre-natals that I felt hands and knees was for me, and I was right .

FWIW, she told me my hips were HUGE, and I think she was right, since I didn't feel a thing -- except those blasted contractions -- until dd was crowning. I'm sure the "huge" hips were a help when it came to getting dd out.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#83 of 84 Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM

I think from the time I started pushing (I was naive and just thought I was having the worst poop of my life), 30 minutes. But I didn't even know I was in labor until after 10 minutes of "pooping."

I feel for you girls with long push times. Some of your pushing was longer than my entire labor from the first conx (which I thought was from the cervadil..). (4 hours total... went from 2 cm to delivery in 1 hour!)
#84 of 84 Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynn42 View Post
I think from the time I started pushing (I was naive and just thought I was having the worst poop of my life), 30 minutes. But I didn't even know I was in labor until after 10 minutes of "pooping."
The pooping thing... Honestly a couple of my babies were almost born into the toilet and a couple have been pushed out with some poo. It makes me feel both guilty and sick to my stomach. The poor dears really needed that first bath.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page