Star Trek and labor induction - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yeah, I remember that now!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#32 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one has mentioned Enterprise but in one of the shows Trip the engineer gets pg He didn't birth the baby tho they took it back to the mother for transplant into another host. But it was so funny that he was getting nipples on his wrists

Quote:
Lets list the births.
Keiko O'brien,
Deanna Troi,
Kira Nires (sp)
B'elana Torres
Kess
Ensign Samantha Wildman

OT a bit here but I did name my Dalmatian puppy Worf's Klingonees Heritage and I got a little lab mix female to be his companion....yep you guessed it her name was Jadzia Dax

List of all the episodes can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yager_episodes and I am because I havnt seen 80% of them.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#33 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 AM

TOTAL Trekkie here We NEED a Star Trek smilie baaad.
I got married on the bridge of the Enterprise. We were wearing our uniforms and had a justice of the peace in Starfleet uniform as well, and a guest Klingon and Ferengi. ALL of our wedding guests were in costume too. And we had 3 vegan cakes decorated with Star Trek logos and flowers.

Anyhow, I like this site because you can watch teasers of all of the episodes.

I'll Netflix Voyager to watch again every pregnancy...it was great watching with my 3rd. I actually enjoy it more each time and it has surpassed TNG as my favourite series!

My husband brings a Tom Paris photo to the hairdresser so they can cut his hair the same. And our second son's middle name is James (James T. Kirk). And if we have another boy we may name him Paris (we also met in Paris though, so it has a double meaning ). My husband's name is Robert, and so is our first son's middle name (which I agreed to not just because of the family name, but because Tom Paris' real name is Robert Duncan McNeill ); we would have used Duncan but it sooo doesn't go with my husband's last name.
I would LOVE to use Anikka (spelled differently, I know) as a girl's name (Seven of Nine's pre-borg name). If I had twin girls I'd use Anikka and Ariane (from C.J. Cherryh's novel Cyteen).

That about says it all. We're complete and total geeks here! Live long and prosper.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#34 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Ok...this is now my all time favorite MDC thread!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#35 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Hey, did anyone, other than the tribbles, reproduce on TOS?
Well, Dr McCoy once had to deliver the baby of a character played by Julie Newmar. She was some kind of princess, I think, and she forbade the doc to touch her, so he smacked her around a bit. Anyone remember the episode?
#36 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not bad enough to have had a ST wedding, but I did attend the 40th Anniversary Convention in Chicago this past September! William Shatner (smiled at me!), Leonard Nimoy (told me thank you), John DeLancey, Connor Trinner (stopped the whole line to look at 18-month-old DS in his uniform), Robert Picardo, Ethan Phillips (called DS a cutie), and Barbra Luna (fell in love with DS and talked to us the whole weekend).

We even stuck a Bajoran nose and earrings on DS, and put him in a little uniform. He won second place in the junior costume contest!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#37 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM

OK, I confess!!! :

I DID name DD1 after Capt. Janeway!!! I was just always so impressed at her strength and ability to command, yet still have empathy for her shipmates (not to mention the occasional hormonal surges... )

Don't EVER tell DH that's where the name Kathryn came from. He thinks it is in honor of my grandma's best friend...:

Sweetpea
#38 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Well, Dr McCoy once had to deliver the baby of a character played by Julie Newmar. She was some kind of princess, I think, and she forbade the doc to touch her, so he smacked her around a bit. Anyone remember the episode?
I totally remember that episode :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#39 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have TOS, but I haven't watched most of them. What's the name of the episode? I'll watch it.

#40 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM

Episode #40 Friday's Child

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek

Right hand side all the series are listed just click on the episodes link and it takes you right to a short synapsis of each with a picture. Pretty cool really.

#41 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
TOTAL Trekkie here We NEED a Star Trek smilie baaad.
I got married on the bridge of the Enterprise. We were wearing our uniforms and had a justice of the peace in Starfleet uniform as well, and a guest Klingon and Ferengi. ALL of our wedding guests were in costume too. And we had 3 vegan cakes decorated with Star Trek logos and flowers.

You are my hero!!! I went to vegas last year and wanted to get married on the Enterprise so badly! I didn't even care who I married, it coulda just been a stranger! I want pics of that !
#42 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotheringMe View Post
You are my hero!!! I went to vegas last year and wanted to get married on the Enterprise so badly! I didn't even care who I married, it coulda just been a stranger!
Oo, you're a real fan!

I seem to remember a scene where Spock's mother was giving birth to him. It must have been one of the movies. She was lying flat on her back, and you'd think the Vulcans would know better, with their advanced logic and all.
#43 of 53 Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM

Ok this thread really made my night! Cheered me up a whole lot

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#44 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Oo, you're a real fan!

I seem to remember a scene where Spock's mother was giving birth to him. It must have been one of the movies. She was lying flat on her back, and you'd think the Vulcans would know better, with their advanced logic and all.
Eh, she probably had already measured Spock's head with her uterus and allowed a certain margin for compression and knew that Vulcan birth hormones would cause her pelvis to loosen by a certain exact amount. Besides, she knew she could change position at anytime.

I could also see, with the technology available, having a gravitational field set up at the end of the bed. She actually was giving birth standing up.
#45 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
I know that Ocompa women HAVE to give birth upright, but why don't the other species? Human, Klingon, Betazoid, all either on their backs or sitting on their tailbones.
Don't have to, could give birth laying flat on their stomachs.
#46 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Eh, she probably had already measured Spock's head with her uterus and allowed a certain margin for compression and knew that Vulcan birth hormones would cause her pelvis to loosen by a certain exact amount. Besides, she knew she could change position at anytime.

I could also see, with the technology available, having a gravitational field set up at the end of the bed. She actually was giving birth standing up.
You are too much.
#47 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
You are too much.
Ooo, another theory:
Vulcan legs dislocate for birth, so they *can't* support their weight. Fortunately, Vulcan uteri are twice as powerful as human uteri so the lack of help from gravity doesn't matter.
#48 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 AM

I thought B'elana's birth was very un-klingon like. I expected a lot more vocalizations, and lot more movement. I would think that a Klingon would never give birth lying down, or sitting still, it just isn't very honorable. I did like that the doctor wouldn't induce though. Also, for Samantha Wildman's birth, I hated the doctor shouting at her to push. Wouldn't they be totally over that by then? And shouldn't the doctor be programed with doula and midwife knowledge? And, the baby dies, then Samantha is given another baby that was a double from another Voyager that had the entire crew doubled on it. Since the baby and Harry Kim died, then those two came to the other Voyager, from the doubled one that was going to be destroyed. So Samantha just accepts the replacement baby and doesn't even seem fazed that she watched her original baby die? I thought it was really odd.

Also, whats with women even going to sick bay to have a baby in the first place? They have to lay on the most uncomfortable thin cots, under bright lights, and anyone can just walk in at any time? They could stay in the privacy of their own rooms, or they could program a warm sea to give birth in on the holodeck. The doctor could just be on standby and beam in at a moments notice if anything went wrong. Or can't the doctor go to them? Sick bay would not be a very comfortable place to give birth in.

I love Star Trek though. I just hope that is not how women are giving birth in the future.
#49 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Eh, she probably had already measured Spock's head with her uterus and allowed a certain margin for compression and knew that Vulcan birth hormones would cause her pelvis to loosen by a certain exact amount.
Except Spock's mother, Amanda, was human.
#50 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It was in the movie The Final Frontier V She had to have treatments so that she could carry Spock the full 11months that Vulcans need. :

#51 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I didn't even care who I married, it coulda just been a stranger!
: No kidding.
It was so much fun we want to do it again...maybe for a 25th anniversary? The only photos I have are the crappy staff photographer photos, and the one my father (who was a professional photographer) took...but he died shortly after the wedding.
HOWEVER, a PBS film crew from Chicago filmed it, but we never saw it. Apparently they sold the footage to the Travel Channel, because some of our friends have said "Hey, I saw your wedding on tv!" and we still haven't seen it.
Then we had the reception/foodfest at Quark's afterwards.

You all are great. I can't wait to take the kids to their first convention if there's one close enough. My husband goes to geek conventions ALL the time as part of his "job".
minkajane - congrats at winning a costume prize for your son! I'm sure there are a lot of costumed kids there!
sweeetpea - I adore Kathryn Janeway too. And I'm usually not impressed by female tv characters, but Voyager blew me away with Janeway, B'Elana & 7.

Now, who should I dress up as if I get pregnant with #4 and need a Halloween or convention costume?!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#52 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
They could stay in the privacy of their own rooms, or they could program a warm sea to give birth in on the holodeck.
Yeeeeessss! Awesome idea! I'll book my holodeck time now for March of 2009 and see if I can actually stay on a fertility schedule! I want a mountain jungle overlooking a tropical sea, with the scent of mangos in the air please.

#53 of 53 Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf;
Now, who should I dress up as if I get pregnant with #4 and need a Halloween or convention costume?!
Go as pregnant Deanna Troi... have the baby by the end of the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page