Ctx pain and intact vs. broken waters - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How & when did your water break? (N = naturally, A= artificially)
N) Prior to labor, ctx's didn't start right away 12 20.00%
A) Prior to labor, ctx's didn't start right away 2 3.33%
N) Prior to labor & ctx's instantly intense 5 8.33%
A) Prior to labor & ctx's instantly intense 1 1.67%
N) In labor, ctx's didn't change 4 6.67%
A) In labor, ctx's didn't change 6 10.00%
N) In labor, ctx's instantly intensified 11 18.33%
A) In labor, ctx's instantly intensified 8 13.33%
N) During pushing, no pain difference 5 8.33%
A) During pushing, no pain difference 1 1.67%
N) During pushing, BIG pain difference 1 1.67%
A) During pushing, BIG pain difference 2 3.33%
I don't remember when my water broke 2 3.33%
My water didn't break prior, I had a c-section 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I know this is a confusing poll, but hopefully this will help-

Poll options explanations
A= artificially ruptured
N= naturally ruptured
~Prior to labor, ctx's didn't start right away= water broke before active labor and contractions didn't start right away or you had to be induced.
~Prior to labor & ctx's instantly intense= water broke and contractions began immediately and intensly
~In labor, ctx's didn't change= water broke during labor (after contractions had already begun) and it didn't affect the level of pain
~In labor, ctx's instantly intensified= water broke during labor (after contractions had already begun) and the pain intensified
~During pushing, no pain difference= water broke during pushing stage but made no difference in the pain level
~During pushing, BIG pain difference= water broke during pushing stage and intensified the pain

~~~~~~~

I'm hoping this poll will answer my questions...my water broke (well, it was an amniotomy) 4 hours after my MW successfully induced my labor (FYI- I don't regret my birth choices/experience, but I don't plan on doing it again. I wasn't as educated on inductions as I am now, so please don't drill me on it! I'm well aware of it all...), and man, that was enough to convince me that I'd like to labor as long as possible next time before my water breaks or we break my water, just for the pain factor. I remember learning in nursing school that sometimes it can speed up your labor if your waters are no longer intact, but I often wonder if I may have been able to skip the epi had we not broke my water 4 hours in. I mean, that I might have eased into VERY active labor since I was doing great with the contractions prior to my amniotomy. But once we broke my water, ahhh....it was awful.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 PM

~In labor, ctx's instantly intensified= water broke during labor (after contractions had already begun) and the pain intensified

This was me w/ dd2- I was in labor about 25 hrs and still they hadn't broken so we agreed to let the doc break the sac. She said that the bag was very tough to breaK. I almost immediately felt the urge to push. I did have to get through them for a while longer, but I dialated from a 6 to 10 pretty quickly- 2 hrs later she was out.

I agree that it helped me deal w/ the pain because I had worked up to it and not done it right away like w/ dd1 (pit induced, water broken 2 hrs into it, epi)
#3 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM

My cousins have all said they never felt the contractions until their water was broken (so far as I know, they've all had AROM). I had AROM to facilitate the placement of a pressure monitor in my uterus (VBA2C; it made them happy) and in all honesty it didn't hurt any more after they did it. Of course, I was so far gone with the pain of back labor that I didn't even feel an appreciable difference when they stgarted the pitocin to augment my contractions.

And by the way, there is no empirical evidence whatsoever that backs up the theory that AROM speeds up labor.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM

I wish the poll let us vote more than once, many of us have more than one baby.

#1 & #2 Broke artificially in labor contractions increased
#3 In labor broke naturally contractions increased
#4 Started labor, contractions started almost immediately, 45 min labor.

I am really hoping my waters stay intact until I am well into labor this time.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 PM

I put that my water broke naturally and contractions started immediately and intensely, but that's not really accurate. The contractions started pretty much right away after I woke up noticing that my water had broken, but they were mild and about 7 minutes apart for a long time. It took about 9 hours for them to start getting intense.

hapersmion
#6 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Having had a bunch of kids I didn't know how to vote but for me it doesn't matter.

1st - rom at onset of labor and that was fairly easy labor.

2nd- arom after about 23 hours of labor (which then resealed) DIdn't intensify.

3rd - arom to induce very easy labor

4th - rom at onset, super hard labor

5th - born in the caul hard labor the whole time but not too hard. Mostly like work

6th - rom at onset of labor super easy labor.

It doesn't seem to matter for me.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#7 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I've had four kids but could only vote for one option so I voted for the one that was the case for most of them. I had AROM with my first three. First two AROM was early in labor. I was contracting steadily but it wasn't too bad. Of course not long after that I was on pit so maybe hard to separate out the causes but it was more painful after AROM. With my 3rd I was already 8cm when I got to the hospital and after staying there for a while with incredible pressure the medwife convinced me if I let her AROM I'd be 10 and ready to push. I consented and she did it and I was still an 8 and in a lot more pain. With my last birth my water ruptured on its own (or with the slightest nudge of my midwife's gloved finger) when I was about 9.5 cms and at +1 station. The pressure of having 10.5lbs of baby and an intact bag of water was killer. It was a pretty huge relief when the bag ruptured. I was instantly at 10 and then started pushing so it's hard to say if the contractions were more or less painful but I don't think there was really a change. All four were posterior and I had horrible back labor with all. That might have made the waters being gone more of an issue for me? I don't know though.
#8 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 04:00 PM

First child An induction for Pre -e
AROM with pit already flowing no previous noticable ctx. It was like being instantly slamed into fourth gear: 6 hr labor from that point.

Second child an induction due to prodromal labor.
AROM no ctx for about 20 minutes then a gradual build. 7 hr labor from ROM.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#9 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Mine broke spontaneously during labor and we were all sitting around laughing about it (my ROM was splashed all over the dog's bed, lol) then BAM I was hit by the next contraction like a train. That quick. Up until then it had been like really bad period cramps, but after that, it was unlike anything else.
#10 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Mine didn't really fit, but I probably picked the wrong one.

Both births, water broke at the end of transition and signalled a major change in the *type* of contraction, but did not make them more painful.

Birth #1: Water broke. Almost immediately, contractions changed from being waves of cramping pain across my back to being waves of the urge to push. They were much more intense, but I wouldn't call them *painful* - it was that "like throwing up, only downward" that people talk about.

Birth #2 - water broke, either triggered by or triggering, FER. Baby immediately dropped to crowning, was born 1 cx later. In that case - water breaking=birth. Major change in contractions, and while there was more pain, it was Ring of Fire, not contraction pain.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#11 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Artificially after about 30 hours of labor. For a while, it was actually a relief to have it broken, it seemed to relieve some pressure and felt a little better. But that only lasted for a little bit.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#12 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM

sPROM, about 12 hours before contractions began. Approx 32 hours later I had a c/s since dd had wedged herself into my pelvis pretty well by then.

I'm hoping my waters hold MUCH longer this time round...it's a lot easier to shift a malpositioned babe into alignment when there's a little "water" to ease the way!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 09:12 PM

I wish I could have voted twice for each labor.

DS#1 - 33ish hours into 45 hour labor - the doctor broke my water soon after I got in the hospital, I was 4cm. I had an epidural by that time so there was no pain, therefor no pain difference.

DS#2 - 32ish hours into 33 hour labor - my water broke on it's own (though I had been in transition and had been begging my mw to break my water for an hour or so lol), I was 9cm and I started gently pushing to try and finish off to 10cm. The contractions didn't get worse, however I also had a strong urge to push shortly after, so the pain was mostly gone and I was relieved to be pushing.
#14 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 09:15 PM

I had 3 different experiences. Where are the multiple options?

1st baby: MW broke waters(early labor) = intensity increased dramatically
2nd: Dr. broke waters (late in labor) = no change
3rd: Spontaneous, during pushing stage = no change

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#15 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
4 kids natural ROM probably when I was complete- or nearly complete and was pushing within 30 min at the longest so contractions seemed to be more intense -- but maybe just pushing contractions KWIM
#16 of 23 Old 02-13-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry everyone...I'm no pro at polls and didn't know how to do the multiple options until after I'd posted.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#17 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 AM

ds#1 amniotomy during labor ctx instantly became horrible. no break whatsoever and I had back labor it was awful and I got epidural asap.

ds#2 stayed away from hosp as long as possible water broke naturally at 8cm and he was born an hour or so later the ctx didn't feel worse after though.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#18 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM

thats one of the things I will never forgive them for when I had my first medical torture birth, I did not want my water broke, I refused it, they did it anyways, and my severe pitocin back labour pain immediately was 10 times worse.
#19 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM

I chose "artificially, contractions intensified"...however, it did NOT seem to help progress at all. I regretted it both times (both times done at a mw suggestion). I'm determined to feel what my water breaking naturally feels like this time!
#20 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM

With both pregnancies, I woke up, went the bathroom for a BM and had minimal aches, then water broke and contractions started immediately and intensely. Time from water breaking to pushing was 6 hours and 1 hour for each labour. Ended in 2 c-sections

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#21 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 PM

My 1st daughter was born in the hospital and I had my membranes ruptured. I also had an epidural so I have no idea what it felt like after that

My 2nd daughter was born all-natural in the tub at a FSBC. The water broke just as she crowned. It made a BIG difference. I wouldn't say it was more painful, but it was definitely more POWERFUL
I'm very very pleased that the bag of water was left to break on it's own time. I'll do it that way with any future births

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#22 of 23 Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 PM

I had a natural labor at home, unattended. I transferred late to a hospital when the baby didn't "arrive" on its own after over 7 hrs transition/pushing contractions.

My water broke after transition, but I put "in labor" because I wasn't actively pushing.

There was no difference in intensity or pain. It was all really, really intense and painful at that point.

HTH!

Julia
dd 11 mos
#23 of 23 Old 02-15-2007, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also didn't vote, as I've had more than one child.

#1 -- water broke naturally, well into labour, and contractions became more painful and intense

#2 -- water broke naturally, during pushing, and contractions became more painful and intense (and I was very happy about it, since my second labour was dragging on longer than my first, and I was hoping my water would break and hurry things up. They shouldn't get your hopes up with "first labours are slow, after that the labours are way quicker!" )

#3 -- water broke naturally, before labour started, though I didn't actually realize it was broken until I was in labour. My midwife arrived, and she did a vag check because I said I was having a bit of leaking, but I wasn't sure if it was my water or just lots of watery discharge. It probably broke about 6 hours before labour started. I didn't notice that this labour was more intense than the ones where my water broke later on.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page