TLC Baby Story...Gag! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I happened to catch this morning's Baby Story and was so disappointed in the episode. I understand that pregnancy and labor is something that is different for every woman and no one can really make decisions for the mother except for her. But this morning's show was so upsetting...I had to see what you all thought.

This woman goes to the hospital at about 3cm and decides to wait it out naturally and see what happens. Well, shortly after the doctor walks in, a woman, and starts telling her..."you know, you have the choice to take the Pitocin and that'll make things goes faster." Mom decides to wait because she is totally against the Pitocin. At 5 cm, the doctor breaks her water and so mom is really feeling the contractions (she was doing just fine up until then). The doctor seems to get inpatient at around 9 cm and tells the dad and mom that she needs an epidural because she won't be able too push. Mom, who is tired at this point but still doing okay decides to get the epidural.

I don't understand why the doctor had to push all these drugs on the mom when she was doing just fine on her own. I mean, every time the doctor appeared on screen she was making suggestions about Pitocin, breaking her water, epidural, she's not going to push well enough, blah blah blah. It's pretty disappointing.
#2 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 PM

That show drives me batty but I can't stop watching it. It's like watching a train wreck or something. I bet the vast majority of the shows feature either a c/s or induction. I had it on yesterday and bf was watching a woman push, on her back, of course. He made a remark that it must be really hard to push a baby out in that position - kind of like pooping on your back. I told him that yeah, that's what I've heard and I sure hope they don't try to make me do that. I was amazed that he made that connection... maybe he has been listening to all of my ranting about how hospitals treat pg women.

About an hour later we were at the midwife's office, so I asked about it. She said that she actually discourages women from being in bed during labor/delivery, even though the nurses think she's crazy. She said that in her experience, being in bed makes it hurt more. Man, I love this woman!

love.gif

#3 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh knows whenever I'm watching those shows because I'm screaming at the TV. Even he gets irked. He's yelled "Well if you'd get her off her BACK maybe she could push her kid out!"

Too bad for that mama, sounds like she could've easily had a vaginal birth. It seems pretty irresponsible of the doctor to force an epidural at 9cm, don't most usually turn them off so mom can (hopefully) feel enough to push?!
#4 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah! While pregnant, my midwife told me that she rarely delivers babies with women on their back because it's not very effective. But it's usually up to the woman to decided in which position she wants to deliver. This woman really had no choice because the doctor was feeding her all these illusions of fear and not being a being to push the baby out.
#5 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 PM

I used to watch that show all the time when I was younger and thought that was the way it should be, boy was I wrong. I can't watch that show anymore without getting mad. The only time I'll watch it is if it's a homebirth or birth center or else I end up throwing things. Now I just watch Bringing Home Baby.
#6 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyed View Post
I used to watch that show all the time when I was younger and thought that was the way it should be, boy was I wrong. I can't watch that show anymore without getting mad. The only time I'll watch it is if it's a homebirth or birth center or else I end up throwing things. Now I just watch Bringing Home Baby.
Me too but even BHB irrates me, how they feel they HAVE to supplement with formula, blah blah blah. I can only watch runway moms, pretty crunch, and House of babies.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#7 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM

Second time I saw that episode now.

This is exactly the kind of "Doctor" you don't want. Don't know if the woman had some issues with glaring light and light sensitivity, that happens- but wtf, If I were the laboring woman I would start out by being slightly pissed that she could not even take her friggin" sunglasses off when talking to me. The entire time the OB seemed to be sorry to have been called away from a Barbecue or something, as if she did not want to be there. Hey, if the OB has eye issus- then I am sorry, If not, I would feel more than insulted as a patient.

I wonder if the OB wanted to start Pitocin right away- because the woman kept saying she does not want it- so I wonder what has been cut out of the episode.

And- am I being naive here, but why on earth do they suggest Pitocin when she is already at 9 centimeters all by herself- they can wait that little bit??

I felt so bad for the couple, since they really tried but were constantly ridiculed and looked down at- not just by their OB but also by the snickering staff, grinning nurses and so on.
I really reached the boiling point when I heard the OB complain "if that's how she's going to push..."

Did anybody notice the expression on the Doula's face sitting on the chair when the woman was talked into the epidural at 9 centimeters? As if the Doula gave up too.

At least the couple fought a bit to at least hold their daughter when she was born- but hey, that nurse tried hard to keep wiping and grabbing that baby from them.

Is it just me- or would anyone else feel like pushing someone's hand away if all you want to do is cuddle and hold your baby?? What the rationell behind that constant rubbing and whiping?? "Adjustment" to the outside world??
#8 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
Second time I saw that episode now.

This is exactly the kind of "Doctor" you don't want. Don't know if the woman had some issues with glaring light and light sensitivity, that happens- but wtf, If I were the laboring woman I would start out by being slightly pissed that she could not even take her friggin" sunglasses off when talking to me. The entire time the OB seemed to be sorry to have been called away from a Barbecue or something, as if she did not want to be there. Hey, if the OB has eye issus- then I am sorry, If not, I would feel more than insulted as a patient.

I wonder if the OB wanted to start Pitocin right away- because the woman kept saying she does not want it- so I wonder what has been cut out of the episode.

And- am I being naive here, but why on earth do they suggest Pitocin when she is already at 9 centimeters all by herself- they can wait that little bit??

I felt so bad for the couple, since they really tried but were constantly ridiculed and looked down at- not just by their OB but also by the snickering staff, grinning nurses and so on.
I really reached the boiling point when I heard the OB complain "if that's how she's going to push..."

Did anybody notice the expression on the Doula's face sitting on the chair when the woman was talked into the epidural at 9 centimeters? As if the Doula gave up too.

At least the couple fought a bit to at least hold their daughter when she was born- but hey, that nurse tried hard to keep wiping and grabbing that baby from them.

Is it just me- or would anyone else feel like pushing someone's hand away if all you want to do is cuddle and hold your baby?? What the rationell behind that constant rubbing and whiping?? "Adjustment" to the outside world??
Yes!!! I was hoping someone had seen it so that my explanation of the show would make sense. I would be confused too about the doctor. She's wearing the sunglasses and sweats. Not even dressed in hospital gear. She had zero confidence in the woman to push and follow her intuition. I saw that same doctor on another episode and she was awful with the other mom too. She gave the mom two doses of an epidural because she felt that he needed her rest to push later on. The women ended up pushing for like 2 hours until she turned purple in the face.
#9 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM

I can't watch that show. I just get so pissed and it ruins my mood for an hour at least.

Don't tell anyone, but I am the kind of doula who encourages clients to break the rules. They tell her nothing but clear liquids, hehe, and I bring her food from the nourishment room. Yummy turkey sandwhiches and mashed potatoes and ice cream. If a nurse comes in she hands it to me and we just act like it was mine. :nana:

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#10 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM

What was the OBs name? Constance something? How condescending was that. I love how everyone is masked until nobody can recognize them, but she is sticking her hands in there with barely a short glove, while the Hubby is made looking as if he is going to perform open heart surgery. Loved the line: "Oh, you know (condescending eye rolling here), I will DELIVER the head and will LET HIM deliver the rest"... yeah, right... you go and DELIVER that woman... I am still loaded after watching that.

How on earth did the couple get through an entire pregnancy with that Dragon??? You think they would have clashed way before. I would love to see the rest of the material- just to see the interaction between OB and Doula, since you literally did not hear or see ANYTHING from the Doula, as if she was not even there.
#11 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileree View Post
I can't watch that show. I just get so pissed and it ruins my mood for an hour at least.

Don't tell anyone, but I am the kind of doula who encourages clients to break the rules. They tell her nothing but clear liquids, hehe, and I bring her food from the nourishment room. Yummy turkey sandwhiches and mashed potatoes and ice cream. If a nurse comes in she hands it to me and we just act like it was mine. :nana:

That's great... I will try going that route with hubby. He'll heat some mashed potatoes for me (only thing that works with me when I am slightly out of it and have a funky stomache)- if I throw up (which I am afraid will happen, my stomache get's in reverse gear easily) than I'll rather throw up soft food instead of burning acid.
#12 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 PM

mmm...you guys, my next baby is due right around thanksgiving (here in Canada) and leftover turkey dinner would help me through labour nicely...lol

i just have to add for the sake of argument that with DS the nurses kept getting me to try other positions, but anything other than flat on my back caused excruciating pain (it was a horrible induction, but still) lol...
#13 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhalo View Post
I happened to catch this morning's Baby Story and was so disappointed in the episode. I understand that pregnancy and labor is something that is different for every woman and no one can really make decisions for the mother except for her.
I fail to see what part of the decision to have the epidural was the mother's. Seems to me that the *doctor* did all the deciding for that one.
#14 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
That's great... I will try going that route with hubby. He'll heat some mashed potatoes for me (only thing that works with me when I am slightly out of it and have a funky stomache) - if I throw up (which I am afraid will happen, my stomache get's in reverse gear easily) than I'll rather throw up soft food instead of burning acid.
Great! You're less likely to throw up if you eat too.

I reminded my client she is the boss, she hired those nurses. And she can ignore their suggestions.

When you are in labor, you need nourishment! If my client is hungry, I'm gonna get them food. The hospital can go f*** themselves.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#15 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 PM

I don't have the choice of NOT using an OB (pre-existing conditions, high risk pregnancy etc), but when I see shows like this one I am forever grateful that I live in a pretty crunchy city and I really like and trust my OB.
#16 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjm View Post
I don't have the choice of NOT using an OB (pre-existing conditions, high risk pregnancy etc), but when I see shows like this one I am forever grateful that I live in a pretty crunchy city and I really like and trust my OB.

Man, I wished this was true for more women. That woman just reaaally made me mad today.
#17 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 11:15 PM

I don't watch those shows anymore, I just end up yelling at the tv and disgusted. DP doesn'tlikehearig me get mad at the tv! I read birth stories on MDC instead

(CaK that'scatat keyboard, instead of nak lol. the darned cat keeps helping me type!)
#18 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 11:17 PM

I watched "Bringing Home Baby" today and only caught the last 5 minutes...but they had their one week old in a stroller (facing out) with NO kind of strap or anything holding her in! What?? All I could think of was them hitting a bump on the pavement and that sweet little girl flying out.
#19 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Great! You're less likely to throw up if you eat too.

I reminded my client she is the boss, she hired those nurses. And she can ignore their suggestions.

When you are in labor, you need nourishment! If my client is hungry, I'm gonna get them food. The hospital can go f*** themselves.
That's what I thought, too. I remember my mom flipping the nurses out when I was in labor because all I wanted was a snickers bar, a really hard pear, and a big bowl of green beans. The nurses were fighting her tooth and nail about it, and she just told them if they didn't like it, go attend to someone else in labor.

God, I dread thinking about what would have happened throughout the entirety of my labor (one big mess) if she hadn't been there!
#20 of 61 Old 02-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Most all of TLC's Baby Stories make me gag! I can hardly stand to watch it anymore for the very reasons you mentioned.
#21 of 61 Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 AM

They should just call that show "An Epidural Story". I don't even watch it anymore because it's too depressing. (Ironically, I loved watching it when I was pregnant with my first baby.)
#22 of 61 Old 02-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Does anyone watch that birth center/midwife show on Discovery Health? Once I started watching that, I totally ditched A Baby Story.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#23 of 61 Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
They tell her nothing but clear liquids, hehe, and I bring her food from the nourishment room. Yummy turkey sandwhiches and mashed potatoes and ice cream. If a nurse comes in she hands it to me and we just act like it was mine. :nana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
That's what I thought, too. I remember my mom flipping the nurses out when I was in labor because all I wanted was a snickers bar, a really hard pear, and a big bowl of green beans. The nurses were fighting her tooth and nail about it, and she just told them if they didn't like it, go attend to someone else in labor.

God, I dread thinking about what would have happened throughout the entirety of my labor (one big mess) if she hadn't been there!
Wow, very specific cravings! It's so sweet to read about your mom taking care of you like that.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#24 of 61 Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
Does anyone watch that birth center/midwife show on Discovery Health? Once I started watching that, I totally ditched A Baby Story.
They canceled "House of Babies" They're all reruns now. I made a tape of all the episodes before we cut our cable. So I at least have them.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#25 of 61 Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
They should just call that show "An Epidural Story". I don't even watch it anymore because it's too depressing. (Ironically, I loved watching it when I was pregnant with my first baby.)
Sadly, I did too...

I can't watch it anymore either. Runway Moms and House of Babies are definitely more tolerable...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#26 of 61 Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
They canceled "House of Babies" They're all reruns now. I made a tape of all the episodes before we cut our cable. So I at least have them.
Why did they cancel it?!
#27 of 61 Old 02-17-2007, 10:52 AM

I watched yesterday, and they had an episode involving water birth, (no epidural!), baby given directly to mom, baby nursing with mom still in the tub, and (gasp!) baby later on wearing cloth diapers. Can they show such crunchiness on cable tv?

love.gif

#28 of 61 Old 02-17-2007, 11:08 AM

I don't watch TLC's a baby story much these days but the show used to drive me batty as well. If I do catch an episode, I use it as my own personal teaching tool. After attending the ALACE birth assistant training, I started looking at that show in a new way. My ideal birth situations would be home or birth center births, but in reality, I realize it's the women who are birthing in the hospitals that NEED the doula support. Instead of getting mad when I watch, I ask myself, If that woman were my client, what would I recommend or suggest to her at this point...however, I like to think that my clients would feel confident enough to labor at home as long as possible and avoid any or all interventions upon arrival...but like I said, that's the ideal birth situation and not always the case.

It is extremely frustrating to see the endless epidurals, c-sections & women doubting their abilities to birth babies because the doctors are the "professionals".
#29 of 61 Old 02-18-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When do they give that show?

I rarely see natural childbirth's on that show. When I was pregnant, I loved watching it too just because it reminded me of how awesome it will be to have my baby, Now, having done everything natural at a birth center with a midwife and doula...I see how so many women don't realize the different options available to them. That laying in a bed hooked up to monitors is not the only solution to having a baby.
#30 of 61 Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Is that the Miami birth center with the midwife that's really no nonsense? I've heard thats a popular one around here but I have to say that I got pretty turned off when I saw her lecturing a woman about "gestational diabetes" and basically put her on a diet because she had gained a bit more than she thought was prudent. This was a skinny woman btw, but even if she wasn't, I just don't think it's cool.
I do think that show is better than the other ones mentioned though. They're like all the same story...different women, same sad story. I get WAY too worked up to watch them lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page