Postpartum Diabetes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi new moms,
is there such a thing as postpartum diabetes? if so, anyone have it?
i am having blood sugar issues ie continuously need food (lots of time sweets), i know i am hypoglycemic, but i did not have gestational diabetes. i do breastfeed too.
any info helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I developed Type II Diabetes at 13 months postpartum, but I had GD. If you are eating all the time and are thirsty then you should get checked. I lost my vision and had dizzy spells. I have hypoglycemia too, you can have both at the same time, unfortunately. I have to avoid sugar and white carbs all together and eat a very balanced diet.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#3 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

mom2005,
thanks for responding.
how do they check? blood sample?
#4 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 07:12 PM

I think the method for dianosing diabetes is often a 2 hour GTT, similar to the test given in pregnancy.
I would guess you could be prediabetic, too.
I had GD, and am way too predisposed to diabetes, but I second the idea of eating a low carb, higher protein and fiber diet.
#5 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM

Moving to Birth and Beyond. Good luck!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM

I had HUGE sugar cravings postpartum, and was hungry all the time. I didn't have GD, but was borderline, and at great risk for it (I have PCOs, high BMI, family history of diabetes etc). The cravings slowly disappeared after maybe 4 months. I feel pretty normal now, though I am still rather thirsty a lot....I attribute that to the breastfeeding!
#7 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM

As far as I know, there's nothing special about being postpartum that can lead to diabetes, but diabetes can occur at any time of life, including during or immediately after pregnancy. If you're concerned, I'd probably get checked, as it's better to find out and get treatment (even if the treatment is just a different diet and more exercise) earlier rather than later.

There are a few different diagnostic benchmarks that are used to diagnose diabetes these days. One, as a pp mentioned, is the GTT, which is pretty much exactly the same thing that you do during pregnancy. You go in the morning, they take a fasting blood draw, you drink the glucola drink, and then they do blood draws at 1, 2, and 3 hours post-glucola. I'm not sure how many of your numbers have to be out of range for an official diagnosis using this method. I do know that if your fasting number is greater than 126, that's enough for a diagnosis right there. They can also look at your hbA1C level, which is a sort of average of how your blood sugar has been running over the past 3 months, weighted more heavily to the last few weeks. And, finally, any test that is over 200, whether fasting or not, is indicative of diabetes, although I think the diagnostic standard for that is that you need two separate instances of >200 before diagnosing. Then there is a kind of a middle ground where your numbers are higher than normal, but not high enough for an official diagnosis of diabetes, and that's when you'll be called "pre-diabetic" -- basically, your body isn't processing glucose correctly, but it's still processing it enough to avoid causing serious damage to your body for the time being.

Wow, I did not mean to go on for so long about diabetes diagnostic tests. Anyway, I agree with the pp who said that a lower-carb, higher-protein/higher-fiber diet is probably appropriate at this point. I would personally probably make an appointment to get checked at a doctor's office just in case, too. Especially if you are having symptoms, such as fatigue/exhaustion/sleepiness after meals, excessive thirstiness (although I know that's a breastfeeding symptom also ), unexplained weight loss, blurry vision, or tingling/numbness in your fingers and toes.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you!
#8 of 9 Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM

are you still breastfeeding? there is an increased caloric need in breastfeeding women. 2800 calories/day is a bf mom's recommended dietary intake

tips on blood sugar regulation- protein for breakfast- and small frequent meals that have protein- no simple sugars- including juices-

B vitamins help with feeling like you have more energy and are co-enzymes in many body processes - magnesium is also something that helps the body to regulate blood sugar.

-----
#9 of 9 Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to all who responded!!! i'm somewhat calmer now.
i think i should go see the doc and a nutritionist. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page