How common are 42+ week babies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd1 was born 2 weeks exactly after her due date, induction and all the unnecessary interventions included. Funny, she is my smallest baby. She was 8-3. 14hour labor,I really think she was showing no signs of coming out. I had no braxton-hicks or anything. Ahh, she would have come out eventually though.

Dd2 was 10 days past her due date. She was spontaneous labor no interventions. 5 hour labor. She was 10-8.

dd3 was 9 days late, spontaneous labor was about 2 hours....no interventions. She was 9-14.

I think I would have waited them all out if I knew then what I know now.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#32 of 51 Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 AM

I do def think people go over 42 weeks.

However another thing to consider is if the pregnancy is actually dated correctly. Unless you chart, use OPKs (which aren't always accurate either), or are getting ultrasounds just before you ovulate you're not going to know your exact date of ovulation/conception.

Even people with regular cycles don't necessarily ovulate on day 14. day 14 is just an average. A typical luteal phase (time between ovulation and your period) is 10-16 days I believe. So you can still have a regular 28 day cycle but ovulate on day 18 instead. Well, now your due date using your LMP is 4 days earlier than it should. Not a huge deal usually but with an doc pushing for induction it can be.

I have long cycles. I don't ovulate until day 26 and that's on a good cycle So with this current pregnancy I am due July 25th using my ovulation date to date the pregnancy (medically speaking you are 2 weeks pregnant the day you ovulate). If a provider were to use my LMP I would be due on July 13th...almost a 2 week difference! So using the LMP date I could easily go to "44 weeks" even though really I'd only be 42 weeks.

What I'm saying is you have to take into consideration how accurate the dating is to begin with.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#33 of 51 Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
However another thing to consider is if the pregnancy is actually dated correctly. Unless you chart, use OPKs (which aren't always accurate either), or are getting ultrasounds just before you ovulate you're not going to know your exact date of ovulation/conception.

actually I know the date of conception, but of course that doesnt take into account the fact that sperm can live inside the body for a few days (up to nine I read somewhere) so that could be it, just because I am certain of the day doesnt mean the actual conception necessarily happened at that moment! (as in, if I didnt actually ovulate that day, it coulda been two days later, who knows?)

I'm not worried about going over. I just heard all that FUD about how second babies are not usually late etc, but then that poll in the other thread someone started seems to imply that isnt true either
#34 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 AM

My first was 42+4 and I was charting and used OPKs. At 18 days over I still was not dilated or effaced and handn't dropped so there is no telling how long I would have gone. I was induced at that point due to low fluid and non reactive NST.

My 2nd came on his own at 42 weeks. Time will tell with my third .
#35 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I got some journal articles with my Bradley class discussing that outcomes are not overall better when you induce at 42wks, mostly b/c of the complications that come with induction, but I can't remember the facts - it was a mainstream journal.
If you could find those and post them here, i would really appreciate it. I have done quite a bit of research on the topic and have not found anything to support that. In fact, research does support induction at 41 weeks unfortunately. Research shows that induction at 41 weeks reduces perinatal death, c-section rate, and meconium staining. I agree that it isn't a one size fits all type of thing, I myself signed an AMA because I wouldn't agree to induction just before 42 weeks last time. I don't agree that all babies come when they are ready though. Some babies stay in too long and there can be serious consequences to that. Anyway, on the induction thing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://acogjnl.highwire.org/cgi/cont...act/101/6/1312

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...24/1587?ck=nck

http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...ng14458fla.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
#36 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first was 4 days over.
My second was 7 days over.
My third was 11 days over.

Same doctor for all. Knew I was quite disinterested in induction. At 40 weeks, he broached the subject, recommending I consider induction if baby hadn't arrived by 41 weeks. At last pre-natal appointment (2 days before birth, so 41 weeks, 2 days) he recommended we really start seriously thinking/planning for an induction by 42 weeks if babe hadn't arrived.

I asked why. I appreciate that he was honest enough to say, "Because we just don't know much about what happens after that. Is that a good reason? Probably not."

I told him that wasn't a good enough answer for us. Obviously, things didn't actually "come to a head" at 42-weeks because baby arrived two days later at 40wk +11days. But I am quite certain doc would have gone longer than 42 weeks with continued close monitoring, having said his bit and found we disagreed. Not sure how long for, though. I think he would have been plenty concerned/revisiting induction quite actively by 43 weeks.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#37 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 AM

My first was born a few days after 42 weeks, my second was born right at 42 weeks and my third was born like 2 days before 42 weeks.. All was induced with pitocin.. My OBGYN lets you go to 42 weeks before inducing then they start bugging ya..

This time I am not getting induced so we will see how far I go.. Thank God for home birth!!

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#38 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I appreciate that he was honest enough to say, "Because we just don't know much about what happens after that. Is that a good reason? Probably not."
Um, that is not honestly, that is just ignorance. Post dates has been studied quite extensively and the risks of stillbirth goes up with each of the later weeks of gestation and more steeply after 41, 42 and 43 weeks. In addition, the risk of meconium staining and need for c-section goes up sharply as well. Pretty scary that an OB wouldn't know that, yikes!
#39 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 AM

I found out recently that at my birth center (Roosevelt Hospital NYC) there is a strict cut off date at 41 weeks. I find this to be a shame, considering the center was founded by midwives. They also have a 6 page list of other reasons why you may not be able to use the birth center. Its getting harder to have the delivery I want in NYC!
#40 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It's a bell curve - most go between x & y dates, with a smattering early and a smattering later. If we see people having babies at 30wks, we shouldn't be shocked to see them having them at 50wks.

People do not have healthy, normal babies at 30 weeks. People give birth at 30 weeks because something went WRONG. And, the baby usually has problems, needs to be in the NICU, can't breastfeed right away, etc., etc/

I am hightly skeptical of the 12 month gestations...highly, highly skeptical. I think more likely what happened was either the dates were way off, or there was a missed, reabsorbed m/c and the woman got pregnant again. Even that TIME article posted, sounded very much like what happened was a reabsorbed m/c and then a subsequent pregnancy. The evidence as presented by Dr. Beltz: a laboratory test indicated pregnancy last March 24. The date of Mrs. Hunter's last menstrual period was Feb. 10. Everything proceeded as usual for three months. Then there was "apparent cessation of growth," until at six months Mrs. Hunter felt life for the first time. (Normal time for this: 16th to 18th week.) Fetal heartbeat was first detected in September. (Normal time for this would have been July.)

But, asked the skeptics, if gestation went on so long, why did Penny Diana weigh only 6 lb. 15 oz.?

How anyone can think that was a twelve month prengnacy is beyond me. Babies don't just stop growing and developing for a 3 months? It just doesn't happen.

I can believe that a healthy prengancy can go to 42 or 43...*maybe* even 44 weeks, but to say that a 12 month pregnancy can be normal, is pretty ridiculous. There is NOT that much variation in what is "normal'. It is more likely that people were very off on the dates...even these 45 or 46 week pregnancies....someone could easily ovulate at 40 days instead of 14..so a what looks to be a 45 week prengancy, is really only a 42 week prengancy.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#41 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM

My second was 2 weeks "late"
My third was 3 weeks "late"

Am hoping that #4 is not 4 weeks late

Haven't told people who freak out over being late what my due date is. Take my inlaws for example. She asked a few weeks ago what the due date was and I said May, she like I know that but whats the date. I said we will find out when the baby is born :evil: I dont want the phone calls starting the 8th of May saying have you had the baby yet???...
#42 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 01:37 PM

I've only been giving the baby's "due month"(in April, sometime ), rather than the date, because last time I did go to 42 weeks and a few days beyond. I'm perfectly willing to do that again, and the midwives will "let" me (slightly reluctantly ). The only downside to going over 42 weeks is that I cannot birth at the birthing center, so it would either have to be a hospital birth or and accidentally-on-purpose home birth.
#43 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 PM

How about "adding" a week to your last menstrual cycle when initially "calculating" a due date...that way at least nobody will bug you until 41 weeks...
#44 of 51 Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
as to how common- here is info from a recent Finnish study-
"The overall frequency of post-term pregnancies was 6.9% and the incidence of post-term pregnancies was found to be increased in obese, primiparous, and smoking women, whereas in women with chronic diseases and obstetric risks deliveries were induced earlier."

I don't think that smoking in the US relates to postdates- it is a more common finding in preterm birth here.
#45 of 51 Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM

I was a few days past 42 weeks when I had sPROM...contractions started about 12 hours later.

I did have my mebranes stripped at 41 weeks and then again at 42 weeks (three days before my waters broke, so I wouldn't say the stripping caused it!) but that was the only intervention I had in terms of getting labor going. DD was fine, but I'm really hoping this babe comes sooner!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#46 of 51 Old 02-26-2007, 03:03 PM

I don't know how many go to 42+ weeks. My mom has a friend with four kids - all 10 month pregnancies. (She also had a 49-day menstrual cycle...can't help but think there's a link.) My MIL went about 42 weeks with all four of hers.

I went into labour spontaneously at 38w, 5d with my first. He ended up being a section for breech.

I let myself be bullied into a repeat section (again for breech) with dd. She arrived at 39w, 2d. There was absolutely no sign that labour was anywhere near due. It took a few days for even my colostrum to come in, and she was...I don't know how to describe it. I definitely think they took her too early.

After fighting with my doctors for months, I finally caved in to a threat, and allowed another section with ds2. I fought for a long time, though...he was taken at 41w, 5d (42w, 5d according to the damned ultrasound), and I had gone into labour the previous night.

I suspect the number of babies that arrive after 42 weeks these days is vanishingly small, because the moms aren't "allowed" to carry them that long.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#47 of 51 Old 02-26-2007, 03:04 PM

With respect to my due date this time, I'm lying to everyone except the midwife and dh. I don't need the "isn't that baby here yet?" pressure again.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#48 of 51 Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM

All of mine have been overdue. Luckily I have a midwife who trusts womens bodies and in particular believes in me.

I've had five babies who were 13-15 days overdue, and then the latest two were only 6 days over - I wonder if that means my pregnancies are getting shorter? Another 10 and I might actually deliver on my due date, lol.

With one of mine I went to talk to an OB about induction at 10 days over, and booked for 16 days over. She arrived at 15 days over. I was twitchy about that pregnancy for some reason - she had been breech till almost 39 weeks and I just felt something was not quite right. When she was born she had the cord around her neck three times and a two knots in it - thats why I felt twitchy. She needed a bit of help but was okay.
#49 of 51 Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 PM

My mother was due in mid June and I was born in late July. Since I was born in Texas during a heatwave, needless to say my mother was pretty unhappy with the extra weeks of pregnancy. Their hb mw had them go to the hospital because I was so past the due date. This was 27 years ago- now I figure she would have been induced around 41 or 42 weeks max.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#50 of 51 Old 02-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My third baby I was induced once I was 21 days past my due date.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#51 of 51 Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM

I am 15 days past "due" and my MW says that "she will come when she is ready". She will let us go as long as we want!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page